PDA

View Full Version : getting my hair buns neat again

TheStorm
August 20th, 2014, 11:58 PM
I've had a problem with my work hair buns for a while, after a short while wearing the bun short frizzy hairs start to work their way loose on top of my head, around about the headband line. They all stick up go frizzy and generally look a mess. After a few hours it looks like an invisible person is holding a static charged balloon above my head, everything that isn't in the bun is stuck up in the air.

Is there anything I can do about them? or is it a trip to the stylist to get them neatened or cut down? Is it likely hairspray would hold them down?

If it helps; I wear my buns as high ponytail, braided, wrapped round, bobby pins through it and then a hairnet & ribbon in a bow. If that makes sense..
I'm not allowed to wear a headband to work normally, just the bun. A headband does hold most of the loose bits down though.

Thank you.

fiğrildi
August 21st, 2014, 03:38 AM
Does your hair get frizzy as well, when you're not wearing a bun? I think the weather (humidity) could be the cause of the problem. It helps me using a tiny bit of argan oil when it's very humid outside, but I've never been able to fully control the frizz. Sorry, I can't help you much :shrug:

TheStorm
August 21st, 2014, 03:51 AM
Yes my hair is very frizzy all year round. Argan oil is wonderful stuff, makes my hair feel lovely but doesn't tame the mess over a few hours.

LadyCelestina
August 21st, 2014, 03:55 AM
Can you pin them with bobby pins,does your work allow that? A hairdresser (outside work) once told me that is what you do to hair when something sticks out and shouldn't.

TheStorm
August 21st, 2014, 04:16 AM
I've just sat in front of the mirror and tried putting bobby pin in it in all manner of different ways. Although they are controlling localised bits of it I have like 20 in there now and there are still bits poking through, they are kind of hard to hide when there's more than a couple too. I've got more of an all over the front frizz, rather than a few bits that need clipping down.
Good idea though, I'll keep playing with it and maybe it'll get better with practice.

Beezle
August 21st, 2014, 04:34 AM
If you are allowed to wear bobby pins couldn't you also wear one of the very light metal headbands that look like a continual band of very fine bobby pins? I have no idea what they are called but they are quite stretchy and I imagine would be almost invisible if you had thick hair and should be more comfortable than 20+ individual pins. I've seen them in many chemists and department stores.

Johannah
August 21st, 2014, 05:13 AM
Do you got aloe vera gel? If the frizz isn't too extreme, putting a little bit of aloe vera gel over your hair to smooth it down might work. Hairspray does work as well, but can be really sticky and hard to comb out and as a consequence it can be damaging.

Firefox7275
August 21st, 2014, 06:34 AM
Mine are tamed by conditioner only washing and leave in conditioner, shampoo makes them frizz out.

Theobroma
August 21st, 2014, 07:46 AM
I second the recommendation for AVG. It does a great job of taming the frizzies for me.

Please be vigilant if trying conditioner-only washing; for some of us it causes insane shedding (which may set in immediately but can also build up so gradually you barely notice it until you're shedding wads in every wash; ask me how I know this).

Anje
August 21st, 2014, 08:12 AM
Aloe gel is good for a gentle hold. If that doesn't cut it, real alcohol-free hair gel is usually quite friendly to hair. A dab of that smoothed over your hair should hold it rather well.

It's worth mentioning: some of us (like me) have trouble with ponytails causing hair to break off at about the elastic. If you have a lot of hairs sticking out that reach to the base of your updo, keep an eye out for this. Usually it's more of a problem with ponytails than with buns, but it's something to consider if you have inordinate amounts of hair that won't stay.

Madora
August 21st, 2014, 08:25 AM
TheStorm, have you tried mineral oil (aka baby oil) for your frizzies?

Here's a link by former LHCer Ktani: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2012/10/hair-and-build-up-and-moisture.html

Mineral oil is not applied directly to the hair out of the bottle. Instead, a drop or two is placed in a dish or small container (I use a pill bottle cap).
The oil drops are put in the container. Next, take a baby swab, dip it in the oil until it is thoroughly coated.
Then take the coated baby swab and run it all over your hands..palms and fingers on all sides.
Now, take both hands and run them through your hair...over and over, until the sheen on your palms has just about vanished.

Mineral oil works best on hair that has been clarified first (with a clarifying shampoo). It is done on damp, not dripping wet hair.

Mineral oil is very lightweight, leaves no after scent, and is dead cheap. A bottle will last forever. Johnson and Johnson makes a good baby oil, but make sure the ingredients state MINERAL OIL and FRAGRANCE only. Other additives lessen the effect of the MO.

MO leaves your hair soft and manageable, tames frizzies, and is a great detangler. It washes out easily during your next shampoo.

Madora
August 21st, 2014, 08:26 AM
Double post! Sorry about that, Chief!