PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping on wet hair = curls? Anyone else?! (pics)

Horrorpops
August 20th, 2014, 11:16 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12640&d=1408597907

I went to bed with my hair wet last night and work up to this!! My hair is exceptionally wurly for me today! Does this happen to anyone else? :o

Creagan
August 21st, 2014, 01:39 AM
It used to, back when I had shorter hair and bangs. I'd wake up in the morning and my bangs would have curled all over the place, and my length would be really, really wavy. It was always interesting seeing what new thing my hair did in the morning. Sometimes I'd get two curls coming out on either side of my head, like horns. Other times I'd see pieces of hair had twisted around each other.

But I haven't slept with wet hair in a while. My hair's too long for that now. I drench the pillow, or the braid soaks my shirt and keeps me up. And frequently, I'll wake up in the morning and my hair will still be wet.

It could be that my hair was only doing that because after I shower I comb my hair, and if I comb my hair and then go about my day, it dries straight-ish. But if I'm sleeping on the hair, it gets all mashed on itself so it goes back to it's natural texture, which is a lot wavier than I normally wear it.

CurlyCap
August 21st, 2014, 02:02 AM
Similar experience to Creagan. I used to sleep with my hair down and wet for maximum curl potential. Then I when to bunned and wet. Then in a silk hat and wet.

And now it's just getting harder to sleep on wet hair because I have too much hair.

That being said, I think sleeping on wet hair is the same as letting your hair air dry. The hair takes on a natural conformation without being altered by a bun or excessive detangling.

Lyv
August 21st, 2014, 02:56 AM
Sleeping with my hair wet always makes mine really wavy with curls underneath (when it's long). I don't do that now because the waves looks really weird and flippy with it being so short. Once it's longer I'll probably go back to washing at night and sleeping with it wet/damp, I just stuck it over the top of my pillow and it stayed out of my way for the most part. Doing that actually gave me some nice root volume too which I definitely don't want right now haha

fiğrildi
August 21st, 2014, 03:07 AM
I usually sleep on braided wet hair, because I wash my hair at night ;)
If I let it air dry during the day, and I go out, I would get awful frizz most of times (monster humidity!). So sleeping with wet hair is my solution, and yeah, my waves are more defined that way.
Some people say it's bad for your health, but I have never gotten any cold or anything like that... in the winter, I would sleep with a warm cap covering my wet hair, and no problem!

Sarahlabyrinth
August 21st, 2014, 05:06 AM
Yes, if I sleep with damp hair it comes out wavier when dry. I don't like sleeping with damp hair, though so I just wash and air dry my hair during the day.

lapushka
August 21st, 2014, 07:59 AM
Sorry but I can't see a picture.

TrapperCreekD
August 21st, 2014, 11:30 AM
I can see the pic! :wail:

spidermom
August 21st, 2014, 12:10 PM
Only if I was careful to pile my hair above the pillow would it come out all wavy/curly.

I can't see your picture, so this isn't about you, but your post reminded me of something.My roommate used to sleep on wet hair and exclaim the next morning about how wavy it was, but I didn't see that. What I saw was weird kinks and bends from being slept on.

Carolyn
August 21st, 2014, 12:24 PM
I can't see the pics either. I love sleeping with wet hair in the summer. it's so cooling! However if I sleep with it wet, I go to bed knowing that I will be wearing my hair in a bun or braid. My morning hair will look like braid waves only much more horrendous. I wish I could wake up with nice looking hair but that isn't going to happen.

Jennah
August 21st, 2014, 01:15 PM
Sleeping on wet hair = curls? Anyone else?! (pics)
I went to bed with my hair wet last night and work up to this!!

What pics??? :bs:

GetMeToWaist
August 21st, 2014, 01:41 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12640&d=1408597907

I went to bed with my hair wet last night and work up to this!! My hair is exceptionally wurly for me today! Does this happen to anyone else? :o

Where are the pics?

lapushka
August 21st, 2014, 03:07 PM
I'm suspecting OP posted from a private album. What's the use in that?

Nadine <3
August 21st, 2014, 05:12 PM
If I go to bed with wet hair I wake up and it looks like I have a family of deranged hamsters living in it.

Elven_Escapist
August 21st, 2014, 06:35 PM
I sleep with wet hair flopped over the top of my pillow. I wake up with curls at the bottom and waves in the middle of the length. Though quickly my hair get all these fluffy curly bits hovering over everything, then when I finger comb them down, most of the curl/waves disappear :/

DweamGoiL
August 21st, 2014, 07:03 PM
I go to bed with it damp and I pineapple it when I wash. I wake up with wavy hair with lots of body.

Horrorpops
August 21st, 2014, 09:06 PM
Hi all, sorry I didn't realise the album was private!!! I've made it public so fingers crossed this time it works.... :?http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12640&d=1408597907

I uad really nice littlw ringlets yesterday from sleeping with my hair loose and wet but it is still quite short for this community (its about mid bacl length).
Its interesting that hair stops curling from sleeping on it wet when it gets longer... but I suppose it makes sense with all the extra weight pulling it down.

Horrorpops
August 21st, 2014, 09:07 PM
Hi all, sorry I didn't realise the album was private!!! I've made it public so fingers crossed this time it works.... :?http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12640&d=1408597907

I had really nice little ringlet-things yesterday from sleeping with my hair loose and wet... but it is still quite short for this community (its about mid back length).
It's interesting some of you mentioned that your hair stopped curling from sleeping on it wet when it grew longer... but I suppose it makes sense with all the extra weight pulling it down!

Horrorpops
August 21st, 2014, 09:10 PM
I should also say all the tigheter curls have relaxed back into waves so it didn't stay like that for more than a day... :(

Horrorpops
August 21st, 2014, 09:12 PM
If I go to bed with wet hair I wake up and it looks like I have a family of deranged hamsters living in it.

Haha I suppose thats the gamble... will I wake up with hamster head or lovely curls? :D

Horrorpops
August 21st, 2014, 09:14 PM
I go to bed with it damp and I pineapple it when I wash. I wake up with wavy hair with lots of body.

Pineapple it? Please explain that because I want to try it (whatever it is!!)

Red'N'Curly
August 21st, 2014, 09:22 PM
I only wash 2 or 3 times a week, but if I do in the evenings and go to bed damp, the curls are amazing! I'll leave it loose and put it up on the pillow above me, or "plunk" it in a t shirt. Fantastic bouncy curls.

Horrorpops
August 22nd, 2014, 01:02 AM
I only wash 2 or 3 times a week, but if I do in the evenings and go to bed damp, the curls are amazing! I'll leave it loose and put it up on the pillow above me, or "plunk" it in a t shirt. Fantastic bouncy curls.

I am so glad it isnt just me! My hair wasn't frizzy either, which it tends to be if I leave it loose but dry. This might be enough to make me not wet braid for sleeping after a wash!

lapushka
August 22nd, 2014, 01:56 AM
Glad you could sort out the album issue (thanks so much!) - now we can see. I think it's neat how you can have that effect by just sleeping on it. If I were to do that (and I did in the past), I'd get a wild head of bedhead waves. :lol:

Horrorpops
August 22nd, 2014, 04:14 AM
Glad you could sort out the album issue (thanks so much!) - now we can see. I think it's neat how you can have that effect by just sleeping on it. If I were to do that (and I did in the past), I'd get a wild head of bedhead waves. :lol:

Haha yes thank you! I don't know how that album became private :confused:

I had no idea this happened because since my hair has been long enough to braid I've just braided it (wet or dry) before I went to sleep which seems to stop the more ringlet like curls from forming and left me with looser braid waves. I can't believe I didn't know this until now! :p

DaniJoy
August 23rd, 2014, 08:34 AM
Yes, the same thing happens to me. If I air dry my hair and finger detangle my hair is pretty straight. But if I sleep on my damp hair I get curls and waves very similar to yours! It's so pretty and I love it, but it also creates tangles for me :(

AmberJewel
August 23rd, 2014, 09:54 AM
My hair looks a lot like that if I let it air dry without combing. However, if I sleep on damp hair, it looks all greasy in the morning. No idea why.

spidermom
August 23rd, 2014, 11:01 AM
Pineappling it is making a ponytail right on top of your head. I do that at night, then braid the length.

Horrorpops
August 23rd, 2014, 07:32 PM
Yes, the same thing happens to me. If I air dry my hair and finger detangle my hair is pretty straight. But if I sleep on my damp hair I get curls and waves very similar to yours! It's so pretty and I love it, but it also creates tangles for me :(

Yeah I have noticed a more tangles than I normally have... I just wish the curls would last longer than a day or so. Might have to go read up on the curly girl method I hear so much about. .. :)

Horrorpops
August 23rd, 2014, 07:33 PM
Pineappling it is making a ponytail right on top of your head. I do that at night, then braid the length.

Hahahaha oooohh I see now! Wow that makes a lot of sense! :D
I'll have to give it a try... even just to see my partners face when I come to bed with that!

Horrorpops
August 23rd, 2014, 07:35 PM
My hair looks a lot like that if I let it air dry without combing. However, if I sleep on damp hair, it looks all greasy in the morning. No idea why.

Wow its so funny how everyone's hair can react completely differently! Man that would definitelt deter me if my freshly-washed hair looked greasy after sleeping on it.