PDA

View Full Version : Change in hair texture?

LadyWarlord
August 20th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Hello, everyone. I've been a LHC lurker for a couple of months and have learned a lot from this site. Unfortunately, my hair has been giving me a little bit of trouble as of late and I simply am not sure what to do about it.

Most of my hair feels as it always has but when I run my fingers through my hair I happen upon one or two wire-like, coarse hairs. If my hair's complete texture had changed, wouldn't it be all of my hair that feels this way? My new growth feels absolutely normal and smooth like the rest of my hair.

I had dyed my hair about three months ago to a dark coffee color to match my natural color and mask the old red and blonde streaks (fascinatingly, the coarse hairs aren't where the blonde was, from what I can tell.) that I had done before that. I've been trying to follow a lot of the tips that I have discovered here at LHC - using gentle brushing/detangling tools, not using heat, cone-free conditioners, sulphate free shampoos. A couple of weeks ago I switched to Trader Joe's Tea Tree Oil shampoo and conditioner after running out of my Giovanni Wellness shampoo and conditioner (I liked it well enough, but wasn't in love. My hair felt soft still when I used it - no weird hairs.). I use a little oil as a leave in. Every week or so I'll oil my hair with either Evoo or coconut oil and while my hair feels a little better afterwards I haven't noticed a significant difference in those strange little wire-y hairs. Anyone have any idea what they could be from? Is it from using chemical dye? Do I need a more moisturizing conditioner? Is it reacting to something or a lack thereof?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

molljo
August 20th, 2014, 10:06 PM
I have those, and I think lots of people do. It's totally normal to have a few rogue hairs. I wouldn't worry about it.

majesticgoldenr
August 22nd, 2014, 09:35 PM
#1: Dont worry about it too much. And leave the hairs be; dont pull 'em.

Those were 2 of my biggest problems when I found mine, because I was taking biotin (which Ive deemed to be the problem) and it made my hair grow wirey, so by taking more of the stuff, and stressing and pulling them.... I got trich and that lead to real problems. Enough said.

If I remember right, the science is in the protein/moisture balance. When I started using oils and stopped the Biotin my problems went away (well, that and I still was pulling them out), but then again they might have always been there and you just didnt see them.

Tea tree can be drying so maybe.... more oils?

I'd wait for a mod or someone to come along and add more info, but thats what I have figured out. :)

fiğrildi
August 23rd, 2014, 04:46 AM
#1: Dont worry about it too much. And leave the hairs be; dont pull 'em.

Those were 2 of my biggest problems when I found mine, because I was taking biotin (which Ive deemed to be the problem) and it made my hair grow wirey, so by taking more of the stuff, and stressing and pulling them.... I got trich and that lead to real problems. Enough said.

I got almost the same problem than you, except that I didn't take biotin. I started noticing those wiry hairs in my teens (that were coarse and black, constrasting with my mostly fine blonde ones), and that led me to trich. I have overcame the trich a few years ago, but I've had really serious trich problems for a good 6 years.
So, my advice to LadyWarlord, just don't look at them, so that you don't obsess over them. And don't pull them off!