PDA

View Full Version : Just got STUNG on the SCALP by a WASP!!

Breanna
August 20th, 2014, 02:24 PM
And on the shoulder! While I plot my revenge, I thought I'd ask if this would cause any hair/scalp issues. Like I was planning on shampooing tomorrow but now I'm thinking that I shouldn't because it might irritate the area and it'll probably still hurt. Is there anything I can put on it to help? Will the hairs in that area be like "whoa what the hell is going on" and jump ship (am I going to have a tiny bald spot lol)? I'm sure I should be really gentle about brushing for a while too.
I've only been stung by a wasp like once before so I'm not really sure what to do in general and I kind of can't believe that I just got stung on the HEAD. I'm also kind of amused and I figured you guys probably would be too haha.

lapushka
August 20th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Ouch. I wouldn't shampoo, I'd delay it by a few days if you can. By then it'll probably have sunken down (the swelling, if there is any).

brickworld13
August 20th, 2014, 02:39 PM
If you put an ice pack on the sting it should help to keep the swelling minimal. I don't have any idea if it will affect your hair tho. I conked my noggin pretty hard in high school one time and had an enormous goose egg for like 3 months. No lost hairs, but doing anything to my hair/head was unpleasant for a while.

Breanna
August 20th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Yeah I imagine it's best to just leave my hair alone, I'll definitely try the ice pack. I was told to put a baking soda paste on the one on my shoulder but I don't really want to put that in my hair, yuck.

velorutionista
August 20th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Oh no! Wasps are jerks! I've been stung on the head too (I was helping my neighbor pick plums off his tree and he forgot to warn me about the wasp nest until it was too late!). I second the advice to avoid shampooing the area till the swelling goes down (it'll probably only take a few days). When I got stung, I kept a cold compress on the sting pretty constantly for the first 6 hours or so, and that helped a lot with the swelling and pain (I'm a weenie when it comes to stings--I hate the feeling). Didn't notice any adverse effects on hair/growth in that area, though!

(I also ate my fair share of blackberry ice cream, because that makes everything better) :D Hope your sting goes down quickly!

Angela_Rose
August 20th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Make a paste of two parts baking soda to one part water and slather it on the affected area. It'll take the swelling down. Also pop a couple of Benadryl. You'll feel loopy and probably fall asleep, but it also take the swelling down. And don't forget the ice, after the baking soda paste is applied.

woodswanderer
August 20th, 2014, 02:46 PM
I think you can just go about life normally and wash your hair normally. Beyond it feeling tender for a bit, I doubt there will be any side effect for your hair.

Sarden
August 20th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Oh no, you poor thing! I'm terrified of wasps. How does it feel now? Is it sore and/or swollen?

Breanna
August 20th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Oh no! Wasps are jerks! I've been stung on the head too (I was helping my neighbor pick plums off his tree and he forgot to warn me about the wasp nest until it was too late!). I second the advice to avoid shampooing the area till the swelling goes down (it'll probably only take a few days). When I got stung, I kept a cold compress on the sting pretty constantly for the first 6 hours or so, and that helped a lot with the swelling and pain (I'm a weenie when it comes to stings--I hate the feeling). Didn't notice any adverse effects on hair/growth in that area, though!

(I also ate my fair share of blackberry ice cream, because that makes everything better) :D Hope your sting goes down quickly!
Right! I was trying to go out to my deck to sit for a while, and we have loads of nests under the porch but the wasps usually don't bother us so I got careless, it was bound to happen. I'm holding a pack of frozen meat to my head right now, and if I go grocery shopping later I'm definitely picking up something sweet! Hmmm I'm thinking chocolate covered raisins.

brickworld13
August 20th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Please make sure the stinger isn't stuck in there. I know that's really uncommon for wasps, but that could cause a nasty infection.

Breanna
August 20th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Please make sure the stinger isn't stuck in there. I know that's really uncommon for wasps, but that could cause a nasty infection.

I checked the shoulder one, looks clear but I'll have to get my dad to look at the other one when he gets home :/

Sarden, the one on my shoulder made a huge red area earlier but it's starting to fade and they're both still pretty sore but not throbbing like they were at first. Ugh this is so frustrating!

Breanna
August 20th, 2014, 03:00 PM

I checked the shoulder one, looks clear but I'll have to get my dad to look at the other one when he gets home :/

Sarden, the one on my shoulder made a huge red area earlier but it's starting to fade and they're both still pretty sore but not throbbing like they were at first. Ugh this is so frustrating!

brickworld13
August 20th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Right! I was trying to go out to my deck to sit for a while, and we have loads of nests under the porch but the wasps usually don't bother us so I got careless, it was bound to happen. I'm holding a pack of frozen meat to my head right now, and if I go grocery shopping later I'm definitely picking up something sweet! Hmmm I'm thinking chocolate covered raisins.

I find frozen vegetables make a better ice pack than meat because you can smush them around to different shapes.

Breanna
August 20th, 2014, 03:04 PM
I find frozen vegetables make a better ice pack than meat because you can smush them around to different shapes.

Yeah but this is actually the only frozen thing we have in our fridge, but I'll check our other big freezer for something looser.

Also oops double post! But anyway thanks for all the advice guys :)

Adiro
August 20th, 2014, 03:55 PM
First of all, I am so sorry this happened to you. Second, I don't know about hair issues.
But third, please pay attention on how you feel, if the pain returns, after having subsided, go to a hospital. My sister was stung by a wasp, a day later the pain came back with a vengeance, and much swelling. She ended up in hospital, with cellulitis ( spellng?) a horrible infection caused by the contaminated wasp, and she was with tubes in her veins and antibiotics for a week after, really a scary experience. DO NOT DELAY seeing a doctor, if the pain seems to come back worse after getting better

jasper
August 20th, 2014, 05:00 PM
I am sorry you got stung! I got 5 stings at once this summer, but on my hands and leg, not my head. I don't think the sting will bother your hair, but if you experience a week of insane itchiness like I did, that could lead to some mechanical damage.

Beezle
August 21st, 2014, 05:15 AM
If you can bear the smell, a fresh cut onion put on the sting reduces swelling and pain.

Stray_mind
August 22nd, 2014, 01:12 AM
My father got stung on the head by a hornet last weekend. It didn't make any damage to his hair, he just had a small lump on the head. My mom got stung on her finger. It was very swollen. Then i gave her my anti histamine medicine (wich i use when an allergy to dust or kitties appears) and the swelling disappeared on the same day. Maybe you should try it out?

Breanna
August 22nd, 2014, 08:38 AM
So far all the pain is gone, the one on my shoulder is itchy and the one on my head is just a little bump with a scab. I actually didn't have any trouble with shampooing, so I guess I'll be okay. :) but I will keep in mind what Adiro said, I didn't consider that and it's really good to know, thank you.

JessicaBaker
January 3rd, 2024, 05:16 AM
Hello,I'm sorry to hear that you were stung by a wasp on your scalp and shoulder. ��I'm in the same situation as you, I was stung by a hornet on my face and neck yesterday when I left my house. It hurts a lot and it swells a lot. ��I saw that someone had recommended a product that is supposed to avoid hornet. Do you know this product? Do you think it's worth trying? ��I don't really know what to do to treat my bites.Thank you very much for your help.