PDA

View Full Version : What can I do about my hair after exercising?

meliel
August 20th, 2014, 10:14 AM
I'm more than sure this has been talked about before, but I'm assuming the threads are quite old and I had a hard time finding any related to my issue.

I've started exercising in the mornings before I go to work, which means that my scalp/hairline become quite sweaty. My forehead and hairline seem to sweat more than anywhere else, and I'm wondering what I can do in this case because it's not possible for me to shower before I go to work. I considered just wiping my forehead/hairline with a wet towel and then leaving my hair to dry, but I'm afraid it will cause all my baby hairs around the hairline to break. I just have no idea how to deal with it, I just don't want my hair to look sweaty or smell bad when I'm at work. Any ideas? Would a wet towel be fine or will I get definite breakage?

SongofLove
August 20th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Have you tried using a soft headband? Or does that just make it even hotter? And I think a towel would be fine -- I use regular towels after I shower and leave it on my hair for a long time and I don't notice any breakage. If your hair is especially fine, probably using a small, very soft microfiber towel (I find these in the automotive or cleaning sections of 99 cent stores!) would work well.

emilia1992
August 21st, 2014, 06:02 AM
Yeah, a wet towel should be fine. You could try patting the hairline rather than wiping it, if you're concerned about possible damage :)

Yuuki
August 22nd, 2014, 12:03 PM
A fabric headband or bandanna? I find those help when I work out.

jacqueline101
August 22nd, 2014, 12:08 PM
I used dry shampoo after I used a towel to blot my hair line. You could try the same it might work for you.

peacecat3
August 22nd, 2014, 07:56 PM
I also sweat a lot before work (I bicycle commute. In Texas. Thar be sweat!), and I wear a bandana over my hair under my helmet to keep sweat from getting in my eyes. When I get to work, I take the bandana off and use any dry parts to blot my face and hairline, and just let it be. I wear my hair in a bun all day every day at work, so it's not really obvious like it would be if I wore it down. I don't notice any smell or anything. I wash my hair every few days.

Hope you figure out a solution that works for you! :thumbsup:

meliel
August 22nd, 2014, 08:22 PM
Thank you all!!! These are great suggestions. I'm thinking I'll have to pack a soft microfibre towel in my exercise bag, be super gentle with the patting/wiping at my hairline, and also some dry shampoo just in case it's necessary... I'll just have a sweat-fighting-kit prepared for me :D and it's a good thing I wear my hair in a bun, I find that I can wait quite a few days between washes if I keep my hair in a bun, and my buns actually look tidier if my hair is dirty. ;)

Horrorpops
August 23rd, 2014, 12:00 AM
I'm clearly a bit gross but unlike everyone else I just put my hair back for exercise, sweat, and then just let it dry and style as normal. Odour under your armpits is caused by bacteria which live in sweat, and not the sweat itself. Maybe because heads are different to other (smellier) body parts as far as more ventilation and exposure to air, but I have never found my head to get smelly even after 3 or 4 days of this. Although as always your mileage may vary, and everyone's personal flora will be different. But I strongly recommend just seeing what happens before going crazy with towels and dry shampoo etc.

I also don't find it makes my hair greasy, dirty or anything from the sweat, I normally just braid or bun as usual. Good luck!

Tenaya
August 23rd, 2014, 08:58 PM
I usually manage to shower before work after exercising, but by no means always. Mine is also fine when I just fluff it and let the sweat air-dry.

kitana97
August 24th, 2014, 03:43 AM
I just say eff it, ha. The sweat dries up quickly around my head, however if my body is sweaty then I will shower. I think I may try this soft head band idea, after a workout my hair always looks very messy around the hairline. Having a head band I'm guessing keeps the sweat away from the hair so it doesn't clump together..

In regards to the dry shampoo, maybe you could even check out a dry shampoo spray. I've heard those are really good at mopping up grease as they sometimes contain a more drying agent than the powder ones. Isn't it a bit similar to hairspray in that it will give you an extra oomph?

Johannah
August 24th, 2014, 04:40 AM
I second the dry shampoo. I love the ones from Batiste but it is white, so might want to watch out with that. I've heard the ones from Aussie are good as well and they are colorless. Good luck!