PDA

View Full Version : My hair needs moisture :/

cdonald2
August 20th, 2014, 04:15 AM
I use conditioner daily. Suave naturals moisturizing (cone free)
I leave it on for about a minute then repeat. I also sometimes use a leave in.
I feel like the surface is getting moisture, but i need something to really penetrate the shaft and get in there deep, ive tried coconut oil with no avail by the way :(

Any suggestions here?

LadyCelestina
August 20th, 2014, 04:19 AM
A protein treatment perhaps?

cdonald2
August 20th, 2014, 04:23 AM
Thats a really good idea. Its been a good while since ive done a protein treatment. Unfortunately, for me my favorite treatment has cones in it. But i suppose I can just clarify the next day

Johannah
August 20th, 2014, 04:37 AM
You use conditioner daily, so I assume you wash it daily as well? If this is the case, try to stretch washes. Washing your hair daily, especially if you use sulfates, dries out your hair. How did you use coconut oil? Prepoo treatment? Leave in? Conditioner for 1 minute isn't much, you know. There are several things that could help you.

Treatment before washing: leave coconut or another oil in your hair for a couple of hours or even overnight. Wash it out the next morning.
Washing method: you could CO instead of shampoo, or just do it once in a while. If you don't want to do that, you could try WCC or CWC.
Treatment after washing: you could try SMT as conditioner and leave it in for 30 minutes (or shorter or longer, whatever you desire). If you don't want to do that, you could just leave your conditioner in your hair fore some amount of time you prefer.
Leave-in after washing (on wet hair): use coconut or another oil as a leave in to lock in moisture. You could use a leave-in conditioner as well, if this is what you prefer. Humectants can help as well (this is what I prefer). I use a spray which contains glycerin. It attracts moisture out of the environment and puts it in your hair. Make sure your climate isn't too wet nor too dry!
Damp bunning works for some people as well. Just make sure you don't do this too much to avoid hygral fatigue. You could use SMT or other treatments before wahing your hair as well. Some people prefer to do this instead of after washing their hair.

cdonald2
August 20th, 2014, 05:20 AM
I dont wash daily, but i use conditioner everytime i bathe. I used coconut oil as a leave in. Ive used smt before, it worked for a day or so. I always thought damp bunning was damaging, ill start doing that. :)

LadyCelestina
August 20th, 2014, 05:46 AM
I feel you.My favorite treatment is also full of cones and stuff to coat your hair,and straight after using it,my hair is such a mess.After a wash or two,it's awesome.

dezibela
August 20th, 2014, 06:02 AM
Question about using coconut oil as a leave-in: how do you find the balance between too much & not enough? I always feel like a little doesn't do anything, so I add a little more & then I'm a greaseball.

Johannah
August 20th, 2014, 06:12 AM
Question about using coconut oil as a leave-in: how do you find the balance between too much & not enough? I always feel like a little doesn't do anything, so I add a little more & then I'm a greaseball.

I've used it in the past and I had a rule for how much I could use: my hands should be shiny from the oil, but not coated. This was enough. This was for mid back length/maybe waist, but it depends on your hair off course.

fiğrildi
August 20th, 2014, 07:47 AM
You could also try a hair mask once in a while, along with the suggestions above. I use aloe vera and juniper mask once a week, and they give me a lot of moisture.
Argan oil is also a good moisturizer, you can use it same way as coconut oil. I like to apply a tiny drop of argan oil at my ends after washing, while my hair is wet, and use coconut oil as a treatment before washing. But I also use coconut oil almost on a daily basis, my hair seems to drink it :P

GetMeToWaist
August 20th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Hair can get hydral fatigue when exposed to water every day which dries it out so you might wanna condition every other day, and purchase a BBB to move your natural oils down to the ends.

renia22
August 20th, 2014, 07:59 AM
I feel like the surface is getting moisture, but i need something to really penetrate the shaft and get in there deep, ive tried coconut oil with no avail by the way :(

Any suggestions here?.

Are you by any chance using the coconut oil on wet or damp hair? If so, try using it on dry hair. It's supposed to penetrate better on dry hair.

LadyCelestina
August 20th, 2014, 08:24 AM

If a llittle doesn't do anything,like anything at all,perhaps it is not the right oil for you ? I like coconut oil from time to time as my final oiling,but the oils I really 'feel' in my hair are either olive oil or flaxseed oil.Also mineral.

lapushka
August 20th, 2014, 08:28 AM
I'd try a different conditioner, and it's going to be expensive if you want a thick moisturizing conditioner without silicones (Shea Moisture?), maybe it's better to get one with silicones in it.

Madora
August 20th, 2014, 08:48 AM

Any suggestions here?

Just my opinion but I think you've over thinking things and using too much stuff on your hair. When too many things are on the hair, they can tend to work at cross purposes and you're not deriving the benefits you should. You also might run the risk of drying out your hair.

Some tips from former LHCer: Ktani

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2014/03/how-moisturizers-are-supposed-to-work.html

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2011/12/understanding-drying-capacity-of-oils.html
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2012/12/frequent-mineral-oil-email-topics.html
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-skinny-details-on-mineral-oil-baby.html

Anje
August 20th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Honestly, leave the conditioner on longer. I like to stick it in my hair, then scrub my body, maybe shave the parts I don't want furry, and then rinse it out. Give it some time to soak in a little. Maybe mix in a dab of molasses.

LongCurlyTress
August 20th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Just my opinion but I think you've over thinking things and using too much stuff on your hair. When too many things are on the hair, they can tend to work at cross purposes and you're not deriving the benefits you should. You also might run the risk of drying out your hair.

Some tips from former LHCer: Ktani

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2014/03/how-moisturizers-are-supposed-to-work.html

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2011/12/understanding-drying-capacity-of-oils.html
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2012/12/frequent-mineral-oil-email-topics.html
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-skinny-details-on-mineral-oil-baby.html

Wow Madora! These articles are fantastic and agree with my natural hunches about coconut and mineral oil. In fact, mineral oil is a main ingredient in John Freida's Extra Strength hair serum and I definitely notice the detangling qualities from using it on my wet hair. Thanks for reaffirming my thoughts! :disco:It's nice to know I am on the right track. And, Shae Moisture has unfortunately too much silk protein in it for my hair and frizzed/dried up my hair horribly. This is a really popular brand that a lot of long haired ladies use, and I was wondering why my hair frizzed so badly the next day after using it. It is due to too much protein in it for me, unfortunately. "(:sad I was so disappointed that I did not get those gorgeous frizz free spirals that so many do get from using SM.

Madora
August 20th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Wow Madora! These articles are fantastic and agree with my natural hunches about coconut and mineral oil. In fact, mineral oil is a main ingredient in John Freida's Extra Strength hair serum and I definitely notice the detangling qualities from using it on my wet hair. Thanks for reaffirming my thoughts! :disco:It's nice to know I am on the right track. And, Shae Moisture has unfortunately too much silk protein in it for my hair and frizzed/dried up my hair horribly. This is a really popular brand that a lot of long haired ladies use, and I was wondering why my hair frizzed so badly the next day after using it. It is due to too much protein in it for me, unfortunately. "(:sad I was so disappointed that I did not get those gorgeous frizz free spirals that so many do get from using SM.

Ktani deserves all the credit, LongCurlyTress! Her BlogSpot: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/ is filled with helpful hair hints covering a wide range of hair issues. All fully researched. She is a wizard, in my opinion.

dezibela
August 20th, 2014, 10:50 AM
LadyCelestina, thanks! I'll try olive oil next. Convenient, because I keep EVOO next to my bathroom sink for removing makeup and, in the winter, facial cleansing and moisturizing.

LongCurlyTress
August 20th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Ktani deserves all the credit, LongCurlyTress! Her BlogSpot: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/ is filled with helpful hair hints covering a wide range of hair issues. All fully researched. She is a wizard, in my opinion.

Just bookmarked Ktani's blog... thanks so much, as always, Madora!!! :magic:

By the way, did you adopt your new kitties yet? ;)

Madora
August 20th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Just bookmarked Ktani's blog... thanks so much, as always, Madora!!! :magic:

By the way, did you adopt your new kitties yet? ;)

Oh, yezzz, LongCurlyTress!! I've had him a little over a week now. He is absolutely adorable and I love him to shreds. Hope to post a picture of all my herd soon. Thanks for asking!

Firefox7275
August 20th, 2014, 02:36 PM

Any suggestions here?

What specifically do you mean by more 'moisture'? You cannot measure the amount of water in the hair so presumably you are referring to a specific visual appearance or feel?

Wetting your hair daily is a risk for hygral fatigue, it will flush away structural proteins and lipids over time. Ultimately that can lead to hair being LESS able to hold onto the right amount of moisture. Suave is also pretty lightweight. It may not be a popular opinion but I see no logic in double conditioning, that is just soaking your hair more than once.

Work with your hair properties when you choose products and ingredients. If your hair is fine consider hydrolysed protein. Whilst certain ingredients do penetrate, many won't to any great extent in the time most of us devote to daily conditioning.

Coconut oil works on the inner cortex so no you may not feel any difference in the outer cuticle. You may need to ask yourself if you are looking for an aesthetic feel or a long term improvement in health that may not be noticeable for months or years. Penetrating oils do not 'moisturise' (add or increase water) quite the reverse they reduce porosity and thus reduce the amount of water hair holds.

See the Sciencey Hairblog and Natural Haven blog for a list of conditioning ingredients proven to penetrate, and information on the effects of time and temperature.