PDA

View Full Version : What salon treatment should I ask for?

CrazyGrace
August 19th, 2014, 11:59 PM
I have a friend who is a stylist. We met a few years ago, but recently, she has been very busy, and we hardly see each other, so I thought maybe I could just go to the salon and let her do something to my hair, and we could hang out that way. My problem is that I've never been to a salon. I do not want my hair trimmed. I haven't used more than a tiny smear of shampoo in several months and hardly use any conditioner either, so a shampoo is out. I wouldn't mind having it straightened, but it reacts badly to heat and the chemicals are definitely out.

My initial thought was to ask for a deep conditioning, since I know some mutual friends have gone for that and were thrilled. I'm just not sure how my hair will take it since it is used to the current regimen of two or three weeks of just brushing in between washes of ac vinager followed by either nothing, honey, or occasionally just a dab of conditioner. I'm also worried that they will want to shampoo first. The last time I actually shampooed my hair (more than a little finger dip on a trouble spot) my hair was quite angry and let me know about it.

So, do you think that the deep conditioning will be a problem? Is there something I should specify about it? Should I pre-shampoo it first with the tiniest of dabs so that it will only be a little angry instead of risking them using a lot and making it hulk-angry? I will be asking her not to blow dry it, and to just let me leave with it wrapped in a damp bun or braid, which she won't be thrilled about, but should accept.

Is there another thing I should ask for that I don't know exists? I'm utterly clueless here.

Johannah
August 20th, 2014, 03:30 AM
I think a deep conditioning treatment is the safest you can do if I read your description of your hair. Can't you just call your friend and ask what they actually do and if you need to shampoo first?

LadyCelestina
August 20th, 2014, 04:21 AM
What about just doing a hairstyle?

höpönasu
August 20th, 2014, 05:32 AM
They'll ask if you want your hair to be washed and you can say no. :o

Syren_Curls
August 21st, 2014, 09:06 PM
If they do them at this salon, you might be able to just have them do an updo. Pick a style that is braid heavy or that obviously doesn't include things like back-combing if you are concerned about mechanical damage. If they do not offer them, I think you will be okay without shampooing if you touch your scalp and do not feel any oil or greasiness. I believe stylists are required to work on 'clean' hair, which they typically define by oil/grease in hair and scalp that they can see or feel. Then a deep conditioning treatment sounds like a good treat :-)

LauraLongLocks
August 21st, 2014, 09:29 PM
I would go in with clean hair and do the braid option. See if they might figure out an 8 strand braid like the one that was posted in the GM Salon thread. THAT was amazing!

Stormynights
August 21st, 2014, 09:30 PM
Why not just meet for lunch?

CrazyGrace
August 21st, 2014, 10:08 PM
Well, lunch was the preferred option, but she works close to two full time jobs, and her breaks match up with when I'm working.

I scheduled an appointment. I think she put me down for a deep conditioning, but we'll talk about it when I get there. I'll see about the cool braids.