PDA

View Full Version : Hair shedding panic - first scalp oiling

Sarden
August 18th, 2014, 02:49 PM
I've been using coconut oil in the ends of my hair for a good while now but I was reding about how good scalp massage is meant to be for a healthy scalp, so thought I would try massaging some into my scalp ahead of my shampoo in the morning. I followed the directions I read - using only my fingertips in a circular motion and although I used firm pressure I didn't feel like I overdid it. However, I've never lost even close to that much hair in one go before. It was terrifying as I don't have much hair to begin with and it felt like it was coming out in clumps!! I counted after (it took ages) and it was about 55-60 hairs.

Most of me thinks that this is ok and that these were hairs that were "loose" anyway and would have come out but i really can't seem to stop obsessing about it, it this normal?

Sorry if this is a classic newbie question/worry!

Madora
August 18th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Hmmm. 55 to 60 hairs is really quite normal. Did you brush your hair before you started the massage? With brushing you remove the hairs that might be ready to come out already, not to mention fallen hairs that might be stuck among your strands.

When you massage, there might be a few hairs dislodged, but not quite as many as 55-60. That's why I think this hair "loss" is because your hair just needed brushing before you started the massage.

I've never heard of a massage, be it ever so vigorous, where that many hairs came out.

ps. I would not recommend for you to put oil directly on your scalp. Oil on your ends is fine. The scalp has its own set standards (for lack of a better description). If you add something to it, you run the risk of upsetting the hair's acid mantel (as Heidi W used to say). An upset scalp is nothing but trouble.

cocolover
August 18th, 2014, 03:06 PM
This is the tricky thing about scalp oiling, in my opinion; your scalp may not like all oils and may shed more as a reaction. That was my experience, at least. I have found that the only oil my scalp really likes is Ramtirth, which has a coconut oil base, but then also lots of Indian herbs. I can only lightly oil, or my scalp gets mad and seems to shed more. However, I don't brush or comb my hair, so when I "mess" with my hair doing oiling, or shampooing, lots of hair sheds since it is not being removed with brushing in between. I try to keep that in mind when evaluating how my hair is reacting to something. Maybe brush/comb beforehand and then try again in a few days and see if you get the same result.

Sarden
August 18th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Hi again - thanks for your responses. Madora - yes, I had combed but only lightly with a wide tooth comb, so maybe it was that. I used a mixture of aloe vera gel and coconut oil as I thought oil on its own might be a bit much, I don't think to be honest I'll be doing it again anyway - maybe I'll just stick to my ends in future.

As I said, thanks for your help!

meteor
August 18th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Yes, don't worry about it. Lots and lots of shedding the first few times you do a scalp massage (especially with oils) is absolutely normal! It's the hair that was ready to go anyway. However, if, after a few times, the shedding doesn't subside, then something is wrong - like, maybe you are way too aggressive with your massage, or maybe it's something that's a health issue, rather then caused by a massage, or you are using an oil that causes a reaction.

From my experience, the more scalp stimulation and manipulation (washing hair, scalp massages, etc) happens, the more shedding you can get ... but after a while it really subsides and even if you routinely massage your scalp, you will not shed more than your norm.

Oh and by the way, that shed rate sounds very normal to me... I've always shed a lot more than that: around 100-150 hairs if everything is fine and I'm not on a shedding cycle.
This stuff is very individual though.

Sarden
August 19th, 2014, 01:51 AM
Hi again! Just to update I washed the oils out this morning and all was fine - I actually had a bit less shedding during washing despite two shampoos.

However, I definitely won't be scalp oiling again - I slept with it on (as I do when I oild my braid), and I kept waking up in the night with an itchy scalp. I tried not to scratch it but I obviously did in my sleep as I have a couple of scabby sores on my head this morning. Definitely not for me!

urs
August 19th, 2014, 02:43 AM
Hi Sarden

Then I think you shouldn't do it again if that was the reaction that you got.

Sometimes certain things are not for everyone. Certain things work and some don't. We just gotta find that special magic that works for our unique self.

My mum was said that sometimes 100 strands of hair does fall, but depending on an individual just as meteor said.

Sarden
August 19th, 2014, 05:45 AM
On the plus side, when my hair dried it was super shiny and soft! Still not worth the hassle for my scalp I think though...

Sarden
August 19th, 2014, 05:47 AM
Sorry, messed up with the photo link... Try again;

On the plus side, when my hair dried it was super shiny and soft! Still not worth the hassle for my scalp I think though...

http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p719/sarjden/f081140ffc8b11e1213ddbb9883fba7b_zps981c778f.jpg

StellaKatherine
August 19th, 2014, 05:52 AM
Beautiful hair Sarden! :crush: I personally only oil the lenght of my hair and never put any oils on my scalp. I noticed that oils on my scalp only make my hair go greasy much faster !

Sarden
August 19th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Thankyou so much for your kind compliment. I am having a good hair day today – despite my panic last night! I love the way Olis have made my hair look and feel but I think I’ll definitely be avoiding the scalp in future. Maybe I’ll compromise next time – I was only doing the length from the nape of the neck downwards, so I might try oiling most of my hair, but somehow avoiding my scalp as much as possible!

Sarden
August 19th, 2014, 06:32 AM
Double post!

urs
August 19th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Beautiful hair Sarden <3 \

maybe u can just do touch up on hair with the oil instead of rubbing or massaging it on your scalp.

spidermom
August 19th, 2014, 07:38 AM
I wait until scalp area is oily, then oil the length. That works really well for me. I also don't massage my scalp with fingers but give it a good brushing before washing (if I remember). I bend forward and let my hair fall toward my feet, then brush. I think that's scalp massage enough. It feels really good.

Sarden
August 19th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Thanks spidermom - I will defo try that! I do like the feel of my BBB on my scalp so maybe I will just go with that.

Theobroma
August 19th, 2014, 01:19 PM
I can't put oil (or conditioner) on my scalp at all because it causes epic shedding even without massage. Some scalps just don't like oil!

urs
August 21st, 2014, 03:16 AM
hi guys

I need help pls. Today after washing my hair I noticed a huge amount of shedding.*tear*
I am perfectly healthy, taking vitamins and I do oil treatments. I brush my hair before washing. please help :( :'(

this is the pic after todays wash
http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag185/urisha17/37380c57-8035-4993-b38d-e4072579855f_zpse4b25ba7.jpg (http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/urisha17/media/37380c57-8035-4993-b38d-e4072579855f_zpse4b25ba7.jpg.html)

Sarden
August 21st, 2014, 10:58 AM
Sorry to hear that urs - when you say a huge amount, how much more than normal? It always makes me panic when I shed (hence this thread), it's a horrible feeling seeing the hair come away but from what I can gather so far quite natural. Ive only had limited experience so far but I notice far more shedding if Ive had my hair up a lot - I'm guessing that "fallen" hairs are trapped with nowhere to go. Has that been the case for you the last few days?

urs
August 21st, 2014, 11:26 AM
Hi sarden

It was size of a medium bouncy ball.

I panic reason being my hair has become very thin compared to how it was. And I just wanted it to start growing thicker. I had it cut a year ago to shoulder.

Yes I have my hair up entire dy. I doubt that should be a problem, can it? Also is too much oiling bad

Sarden
August 21st, 2014, 11:49 AM
Well I dont think having it up causes MORE shedding, just makes the shedding seem worse. I might be wrong but the way I imagine it works is that over the course of a normal day, shed hairs made there way out of the hair and naturally fall out without us noticing (gross I know) where as when you have it up, they don't have anywhere to go and just sort of sit there till you wash it then it all comes out at once, making it seem worse.

I do have to say though - your hair looks pretty thick to me.. I'm surprised to see that you are only a i for pony diameter. We seem to have virtually identical hair though, apart from the colour! Anyway, if that's the case, having thin hair I think makes it feel much worse when we do shed as there's far more reason for us to be worried in the first place (I also have thin, fine hair). It might not be as bad at you think.

On the subject of oils though, As you know from this thread I found to my cost that my scalp isn't a massive fan of oils - from what I can gather it's not an exact science, everyone's different. if you feel that oiling is the only factor at play here then it's definitely worth cutting back in my opinion.

I really hope it was just a one of for you (and me)!

urs
August 21st, 2014, 11:59 AM
Thanks sarden. I never had a problem before, so I also hope is a once off.