PDA

View Full Version : Hair donation question

Callifornia
August 18th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Can anyone help me by recommending a reputable place to donate hair to?

I have can-I-call-this TB length hair. It is virgin, only a little damaged from sunlight and mechanical damage. It's not very thick and is a fluffy, wurly blonde. Do you think they could use my hair?

Back story: My best friend recently passed away from cancer and I'd like to donate my hair in memory of her. I'm going to go ahead and donate as much as possible and go with the pixie I've always wanted. My friend was a bit of a punk, she would have loved the cut. But I don't know what organization is a good one to donate to. I've heard of how locks of love is, so is there's good organization I can give my hair to?

Madora
August 18th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Sorry about your friend, California. Here's a link to Pantene Beautiful Lengths :http://pantene.com/en-us/experience-main-section2/beautiful-lengths

meteor
August 18th, 2014, 09:08 AM
I'm terribly sorry about your best friend! :( Stay strong! :grouphug: :blossom:

It appears that selling your hair and donating the proceeds directly to cancer-related charity of your choice seems to be the safest way to make sure that they won't throw away your hair. You can even order a wig made out of your own hair and pass it on to somebody in need.

Stormynights
August 18th, 2014, 09:33 AM
If you are still grieving, please wait a while. There is no rush to donate your hair. A month or so down the road you may feel differently. It is your hair to do with as you wish, but if you wait you can be certain that you are making the right decision based on your preference rather than emotions.

Johannah
August 18th, 2014, 09:40 AM
I can't help you with information (don't know about donating in America), but I just wanted say I'm sorry about your friend. :blossom:

lapushka
August 18th, 2014, 09:42 AM
If you are still grieving, please wait a while. There is no rush to donate your hair. A month or so down the road you may feel differently. It is your hair to do with as you wish, but if you wait you can be certain that you are making the right decision based on your preference rather than emotions.

I agree with this advice. Make sure it's really what you want to do. I'm sure there's an honest organization out there that you could donate to. But I think they all need pristine hair, so if it's damaged in any way they might just end up throwing it out and your good deed will be for naught. I'm sorry about your friend. :grouphug:

meteor
August 18th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Stormynights is very right! I didn't know how to post more on this without seeming like I'm trying to talk you out of this... but I sort of am.
Your cutting hair can only be symbolic, it can't significantly help cancer patients, unfortunately... or else, many of us would be walking bald :(
There is an undeniable issue that natural hair irritates bald scalps very much, so many people prefer scarves/hats or wigs made of synthetic hair.
I recommend watching this video, because she did some good research into this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgEuFdFrKII and she covers the differences between Locks of Love and Pantene Beautiful Lengths there, that might be helpful, too.

I hope my post doesn't come off rude, I really don't want to hurt your feelings. :grouphugs: I really hope you'll give it some time.

All the best to you, California!
Oh, and by the way, your hair is absolutely beautiful! :flower:

sourgrl
August 18th, 2014, 09:49 AM
I second Madora and the Pantene link she provided. My sister donated to them to honor her MIL, whom she lost to cancer. So sorry for the loss of your friend. ((hugs)) Cancer has taken too many loved ones :(

Callifornia
August 18th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Wow, y'all are all so sweet and thoughtful. Thankyou so much for the condolences, links, and wonderful advice.

Meteor, do you happen to know where you can sell hair? I'm afraid that's really something I know nothing about. But it does sound like it might be a good option.

My friend has been gone for 7 months now so this haircut isn't too sudden I don't think. I've been wanting to do it for quite some time. I want to donate the hair if I can in her memory, or possibly money from it if that will work. Her hair was starting to fall out but she never had enough time to lose it all. I was going to shave my head when she shaved hers to show her support but all the sudden she was gone. I want this hairstyle and it also makes me smile to think of how much she would have liked it. I planned on cutting my long hair off with her so losing it is something I've been planning on for a while.

We are all still grieving and missing her but it gets a little less sharply painful day by day. She left a hole in many lives, but we are glad she is no longer in so much pain. It was hard to see her hurt. We just miss her terribly. I worry about her mom the most. She is a wonderful sweet lady and my friend was her youngest child, only 19.

Gertrude
August 18th, 2014, 11:59 AM
I am very sorry for your loss and my heart breaks for your friend's mum too. Yours is a lovely thought. This may perhaps be of use to you, although there may not be an equivalent enterprise in the US. There's a wig-making company in London, England who buy hair. They don't buy donated hair sold on by organisations or hair from India. You sell your hair to them and they pay good prices. It all sounded a lot Little Women/ Victorian to me but one of my friends did that and donated the money to a cancer charity in the name of her late mum. Hairdressers in your area may know of something similar, or wig makers.

My friend was wary of the charities collecting hair donations and wanted to make sure she really benefited the cause she wanted to support.

Callifornia
August 18th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Okay, I've spent the past little while looking up donation places and how to sell your hair and I think I'm going to go with selling it and donating the money. It appears to be the only way to be absolutely sure something good will come of it to help someone. Thank each and every one of you so very much for the help and sweet words :blossom:

Federica
August 18th, 2014, 12:58 PM
California, I stepped by just to send you a big hug.
Unfortunately I cannot help you with informations because I'm from Italy and I don't know much about donating hair in the US, but I'm so sorry for your friend, I lost my mother on cancer too.
It's a beautiful thing that you decide to help in this way, and I very respect it.