PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a fringe?

aforestfae
August 18th, 2014, 07:37 AM
I really love this cut (http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/06/f6/5b/06f65b336e476af2157217109629fcd8.jpg) Longer at the sides and still long enough to sweep to the side or cover my forehead.
My hair is just below bra strap and I have a long fringe/short layers at the front from a previous style that was cut too short, I love the style in the pic but I don't know if I should do it, I want something that frames my face better rather than just tucking behind my ears.
I've wanted it about two weeks and my hairdresser is coming today if I went for it how should I explain it? I will show her the pic too but I don't want it cut shorter than eyebrow length as it doesn't suit me.

LongCurlyTress
August 18th, 2014, 07:40 AM
I really love this cut (http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/06/f6/5b/06f65b336e476af2157217109629fcd8.jpg) Longer at the sides and still long enough to sweep to the side or cover my forehead.
My hair is just below bra strap and I have a long fringe/short layers at the front from a previous style that was cut too short, I love the style in the pic but I don't know if I should do it, I want something that frames my face better rather than just tucking behind my ears.
I've wanted it about two weeks and my hairdresser is coming today if I went for it how should I explain it? I will show her the pic too but I don't want it cut shorter than eyebrow length as it doesn't suit me.

Go for it! Bangs grow out easily and quickly and provide a fun change of style. Mine are curly though and very difficult to control and maintain. I am at lower lip length now, since I am growing mine out. If you have straight/wavy hair and are willing to straignten them everyday, then you willl love them. Just remember, they will always need to be pinned/sprayed back if you decide to do a bun without bangs or are letting them grow out, this is an extreme pita to do. Good luck! ;)

lapushka
August 18th, 2014, 07:43 AM
If your hair gets oily rather fast, then don't do it, unless you want to wash and style your bangs separately all the time.

LongCurlyTress
August 18th, 2014, 07:46 AM
If your hair gets oily rather fast, then don't do it, unless you want to wash and style your bangs separately all the time.

And Lapushka is a smart lady... listen to her advice! ;)

Éothyn
August 18th, 2014, 07:55 AM
I had straight or side bangs for most of the past 8 or 9 years. Occasionally I really miss them and consider cutting them back too. For me it took a good 6 months to get them to a length that would stay behind my ear most of the time, and a few more to be really satisfied, though. That's hardly a dent in the time it's taking my length to grow to goal, of course, but you should definitely consider whether you want to go through the regrowth period again. There was an awkward month where I truly hated it.

And I second (third?) lapushka's point. My bangs lasted half the time the rest of my hair did between washes.

aforestfae
August 18th, 2014, 08:00 AM
I had straight or side bangs for most of the past 8 or 9 years. Occasionally I really miss them and consider cutting them back too. For me it took a good 6 months to get them to a length that would stay behind my ear most of the time, and a few more to be really satisfied, though. That's hardly a dent in the time it's taking my length to grow to goal, of course, but you should definitely consider whether you want to go through the regrowth period again. There was an awkward month where I truly hated it.

And I second (third?) lapushka's point. My bangs lasted half the time the rest of my hair did between washes.

I figured since my hair wasn't near goal length yet the growing out process wouldn't matter much and I don't mind growing it out much, just need to find ways to style it while it is.
And Lapushka's point is good, I think my hair's stopped getting greasy everyday now, but I'll have to make sure I have some dry shampoo if I do cut them:hmm:

Entangled
August 18th, 2014, 08:10 AM
On the other hand, having bangs helps me stretch washes, because they disguise how oily the rest of the hair is when you wash them more regularly. I've stopped trying to stretch(my scalp doesn't like it) but that's a pro for me.

Éothyn
August 18th, 2014, 08:11 AM
I think my hair's stopped getting greasy everyday now, but I'll have to make sure I have some dry shampoo if I do cut them:hmm:

I don't mean to veer off course here, but on the subject of dry shampoo, do you have a favorite? Is dry shampoo a practice that is accepted here? I should do a quick search but I think the topic of bangs may bring out a few experts.

And more on topic, it sounds like you're prepared for bangs then! If you do make the cut I'd love to see the results!

aforestfae
August 18th, 2014, 08:24 AM
I don't mean to veer off course here, but on the subject of dry shampoo, do you have a favorite? Is dry shampoo a practice that is accepted here? I should do a quick search but I think the topic of bangs may bring out a few experts.

And more on topic, it sounds like you're prepared for bangs then! If you do make the cut I'd love to see the results!

I haven't found a dry shampoo I really like yet, I did find one that smells lovely but will only work for a short while, with the others I've tried the smell put me off but worked fairly well.
I might post a pic if i can get a decent one.
I have mostly straight hair that gets a kind of wave a little as it gets short, what's the best way to style it like in the picture or to look best that doesn't use heat or uses very little heat?

lapushka
August 18th, 2014, 09:13 AM

;) I don't know about smart, but I do know what bangs do, 'cause I've had them for a long time before growing them out. I have oily hair and so I always had to wash & style separately. If you have wavy hair, that's especially bad because the texture varies if you style them straight and for hair that short you kind of have to or it sticks out in weird places.

lapushka
August 18th, 2014, 09:14 AM

;) I don't know about smart, but I do know what bangs do, 'cause I've had them for a long time before growing them out. I have oily hair and so I always had to wash & style separately. If you have wavy hair, that's especially bad because the texture varies if you style them straight and for hair that short you kind of have to or it sticks out in weird places.

Stormynights
August 18th, 2014, 09:48 AM
I grew mine out but I missed them so I cut a very thin fringe. I can just comb them back if I dont want it down. I love them thin.

Johannah
August 18th, 2014, 09:49 AM
I've got such a fringe since I was five years old. It's really beautiful when you wear your hair up a lot. It softens your face. Just know that you need to heat style it pretty much every day, even when your hair is straight. Especially the side parts can get some wave when you sleep on them. Like lapushka said, your bangs get greasy fast as well (think of sweat of touching them unconsciously), but dry shampoo fixes this really fast. Also, it isn't hard to wash them separately. Just know there's a chance it wouldn't suite you when you have a small forehead and it can make you look younger (IMO, I look 16 instead of 20 ;)).

spidermom
August 18th, 2014, 10:01 AM
The style looks lovely and I see no reason not to go for it. I love my bangs. I can do a variety of things with them (for example straighten), and that helps me be patient and leave the rest of my hair bunned or braided while it grows.

aforestfae
August 18th, 2014, 10:21 AM
I got it cut, I need to get used to it as I haven't had something like it for ages. I think it will look better in a week or so, but overall it's nice, a very different look though.