PDA

View Full Version : The hemline maintainers support thread for 2015 party :)

Tini'sNewHair
August 17th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Lets make this thread for those of us who needs to maintain their hemline until we are happy to let it grow again. This should start next year from Jan on so until then, you need to prepare for it. Work out how much your hair grows each month, how much you need cutting back to (slowly), have a look at Feyes method. What milestone will your hair be in jan 2015? How long will it take to fix up your hemline do you think? Cant wait! Share your progress with pictures and if you must start now, then do it but share it here so we can all get inspired.

LongCurlyTress
August 17th, 2014, 09:45 AM
I am so in!! Thanks for starting this thread:joy: Except, I am hoping to maintain tbl if/when I get there in July, 2015. :rolleyes:

Federica
August 17th, 2014, 09:56 AM
I'm joining too!

bunzfan
August 17th, 2014, 10:08 AM
What a great idea!!! I'll probably micro trim once my hair reaches bcl I'll trim a tiny amount so it still gaines length then maintain at tailbone :D

Caraid♫
August 17th, 2014, 10:22 AM
I plan on maintaining at tailbone for a while, so if I'm tailbone by Christmas, then I'm in! At this point, improving my hemline is more important to me than length- it already feels realatively long, and there is no point to me to have long hair if I don't like how it looks!

KittyBird
August 17th, 2014, 10:30 AM
I'll join! I'm going to maintain once I get to classic, and I think I'll be there sometime in the spring. I really want to get rid of these dry, damaged ends, and I also think that classic is as far as I will grow (at least for now). :)

Imalath
August 17th, 2014, 10:47 AM
I will definitely join. I have some shedding issues thinning my hemline atm, and the bottom four inches are fairly damaged from sun/wear and tear/pre-lhc routine. I would love to get it trimmed off to healthier hair; trimming all at once would bump me back to bsl-ish and I like the extra length for my updos. Many small trims over the course of a year would be better for my confidence and let me practice my trimming skills after a year of not doing it at all. I think I should be at waist or maybe just shy of it by Jan 2015.

Johannah
August 17th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Like you read my mind! :D My plan is to keep on growing my hair for the rest of 2014 and start cutting my growth off in January until I'm happy with my hemline. I'm not looking forward to it because... Well... It stays the same length. But at the other hand, I actually do look forward to it because it's the way to a fuller hemline, which I really really really want! :D It'll probably be hip then, or longer. I try to benign neglect right now and try not to look at my hair, so I don't really know. (I've been at hip by the way, but I've trimmed and I got waves).

Why do you want to maintain, Tini? :o

bunzfan
August 17th, 2014, 11:40 AM
I really love this thread already its so positive :cool: yes we want to get to longer length but with nice ends too ( my main reason for cutting) i think i have a bad habit of trimming because i don't really have a plan but now i have one i'm micro trimming next year :o i'm going to see if i can go a full year without trimming which will be May.

Ocelan
August 17th, 2014, 11:55 AM
I'll be parking myself here at the end of the year also. I should reach TBLish by then and start microtrimming each month. I'll at first cut off probably half my monthly growth since I want to reach my ultimate goal of 100 cm of hair which will probably still be an inch or two away at that point, but once I reach that it's all maintaining after that. I have atleast 10 - 15 cm of old scraggly layers to get rid of plus a lot of pre-LHC damage, not to mention the dye that I'm growing out. So I'll be here a really long time, possibly foreverrrrr! :P

happydeer
August 17th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Happy to see this thread! I will be growing out some layers and maintaining around shoulder length once I get there. I recently switched to using herbs to wash my hair and have found that the less-damaged parts are responding extremely well to that method, so now I want to grow out the less happy ends and keep trimming until I have a full hemline.

Zebra Fish
August 17th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Hovering over waist and maintaining here :)

martyna_22
August 17th, 2014, 03:11 PM
I want to maintain for a while when I get to waist (2 months from now?).. but I seriously consider some long layers. I just don't seem to be happy with my hair and long layers shouldn't be difficult to grow out in case anything goes wrong, right? Right?... I get this triangle of hair with no layers, and I don't care for updos..

kganihanova
August 18th, 2014, 04:53 AM
Well im not maintaining per as but hemline health not length is my priority. May I join?

diddiedaisy
August 18th, 2014, 08:45 AM
I'll be apl wavy by Xmas, I'll then be maintaining to get rid of 4 inches of shed ends. I'll then be trimming until bsl, I'll probably only trim half my growth although I do get scissor happy, so who knows!!

wool
August 18th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Ive been considering cutting way back because my ends are looking ragged and the difference from the shortest to the longest is quite a lot giving a deep v cut appearance. So perhaps the new year will be a good time to start fresh hemline wise since i prefer blunt or a really gentle u shape ....though id probably have to go back to bsl from almost waist!

Tini'sNewHair
August 18th, 2014, 07:10 PM
Hiiiii Jessssss!!!!!!!! You inspired this idea and im glad that you are on board to!!!!!
Hiii Federica!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to the party ;) We will get this sorted you will see :)
Hiii Emma!!!!!!! Sounds like a great plan :) I want to be quick so I plan to chop off all growth once I reach BCL, I have about 3 MAYBE 4 inches to get through and then I will continue to classic with a pretty awesome hemline :)
Thats exactly how i feel Caraid, an great looking hemline is my top priority next year :) I just need to get to BCL first (which i should reach it by Dec) so that my hair can feel long first, Ive been at hip where im at now a fair few times, its a boring length for me.
KittyBird Welcome to the club! Thats my dream goal! Good luck getting there quick!
Welcome Imalath! Thats what i have, some old damage from using heat when I first chopped at just above shoulders, its about 3 inches on my length that needs to go ASAP. We can do this!
Welcome Johannah :D Glad to see you here to :) I remember you being at Hip before and trimming back, I was like NOOOOOO bad girl! Kiddin! But that sounds like a good plan! I have some hair on my sides that are slightly shorter and also damaged from when I used heat a couple of times in the early days of growing (I was trying to tame the weird flips my hair was doing at shoulder length but with no vail and now im paying for it again ugh!). Its only about lets say 3 inches that needs to be chopped off and this way I should have a super blunt hem as well.
Welcome Ocelan! Its the right decision to make there, just keep focusing on have that awesome hem and enjoy every time you get closer to that goal. Thats what I need to do, I want perfect hem, wish I could have it right now tho : ) )
Welcome happydeer! Thats a great plan!
Zebra Fish Good luck! Thats great! Welcome to the club!
martyna_22 Whatever makes you happy! Welcome!
kganihanova Welcome! For sure!
Welcome diddiedaisy, thats what im affraid of as well, I need to be patient tho because I know I will regret if I just chop it all off and end up back to hip.
Welcome wool! This is a good time to think about what you want to do in the coming year which isnt very far away. We can do this!

Dickiebow
August 20th, 2014, 05:25 AM
I'm joining. I hope to be past BSL by the end of the year. My longest ever length. :) I'm growing out colour, damage and the worst ever short layers. Also I've had a shed and the ends are getting thin and straggly. I agree that New Year is a great time to start this.
I plan to trim all my growth each month for the first half of the year and then switch to trimming half the growth. I really hope this will make me happy with my hemline by the end of 2015.

Johannah
August 20th, 2014, 05:31 AM
Welcome Johannah :D Glad to see you here to :) I remember you being at Hip before and trimming back, I was like NOOOOOO bad girl! Kiddin! But that sounds like a good plan! I have some hair on my sides that are slightly shorter and also damaged from when I used heat a couple of times in the early days of growing (I was trying to tame the weird flips my hair was doing at shoulder length but with no vail and now im paying for it again ugh!). Its only about lets say 3 inches that needs to be chopped off and this way I should have a super blunt hem as well.

:demon: :demon: :demon:

Those trims were a good thing to do but sometimes I regret it. It looks like my hair hasn't grown AT ALL since then. It's still at waist. Even though in inches, it's probably as long as before the trims... My hair type changed from a 1b/1c to a 2a, so shrinkage is the cause as well :lol:. Even when my waves are gone after sleeping on them, it gets some sort of waves when it's been in a bun. Never had that this much when my hair was straight. Soooooo I need to grow my hair longer to reach my goal... Buuuuuuuut on the positive side, I really really really like 2a hair :inlove: so my hair will be GORGEOUS when I reach BCL :cheer: (or whatever goal because I still haven't decided yet, woops).

LadyCelestina
August 20th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Also clicked this thread since I like to have a thicker hemline,but I struggle with gaining length since I trim so often - I was at waist in autumn last year and now I'm only so-so at hip!So maybe this thread isn't the best place for me to be in :D

veryhairyfairy
August 31st, 2014, 07:36 AM
This is the thread for me!
I've got healthy hair ALLLL the way up at APL, with damaged ends down to TBL. I'll be maintaining TBL starting in early December, and I do believe I'll continue to keep my hair at TBL for the next two years at least... so I'm here to stay, y'all! :D
IIRC, it took me about 3 years to go from APL to where I am now, and the texture, health, and thickness of the healthy hair is worth the looong pause at TBL.

Here's a great shot of the difference between healthy and damaged: (last time I'll spam this pic around, promise!)
http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af164/veryhairyfairy/IMG_1607143x400_zps8fe6d23a.jpg (http://s1004.photobucket.com/user/veryhairyfairy/media/IMG_1607143x400_zps8fe6d23a.jpg.html)

My Major Motivators to Maintain:
Shine
Thickness
More balanced looking buns
Thicker braid and better braidwaves
and Freaking WAVES!

What about everybody else? What are some of the improvements you hope to see/experience with maintaining?

leilani
August 31st, 2014, 12:20 PM
I'm going to trim every month (.5") until I don't see a single white dot or split end and like my hemline thickness.
Then I may grow longer and leave it be.....or just continue to trim/maintain waist for years, until the dark henna is gone and my postpartum shed regrowth catches up to the rest of my hair. I can't decide!

ARG
August 31st, 2014, 01:14 PM
I've been trying to do the two week wait to see if I really want to start micro-trimming, and I don't really want to, but I need to (old layers that just need to go!). But since I'll be dealing with the inevitable postpartum shed at the first of the year, this thread (and timing!) is perfect. I can baby my hair, work on my hem line, and hopefully maintain waistish/hip length.

I usually go with a blunt hem, but I really like how U and V shapes look, so this gives me plenty of time to figure out which one I want to go for.

Crumpet
August 31st, 2014, 01:41 PM
Oh, I'm in! I started maintaining in January of this year, but I'm taking the break peddle off until this January and will be doing 0.25 inch microtrims (or less!) for the next four months. I'll probably go back to the 0.5 inch microtrims in January 2015 for at least 6 months or a year. I want to get rid of my layers. So ready to see them go!

The good news is that my hair already feels so much thicker after only 8 months of maintaining. I'm really happy with the results, although I'd also like to grow again!

Imalath
December 21st, 2014, 04:07 PM
I am bumping this up as we get closer to the end of the year and the beginning of 2015. Just wanted to say I hit waist this month, which was my length goal for 2014! This weekend I had my first maintaining trim and I'm counting it as next year. I had dry, crispy ends that no amount of oil or conditioner could manage. They were the last remnants of a vacation a few years ago with lots of time in a chlorinated pool and direct sunshine, and they tangled horribly. Wet, dry, coated in oil, detangler, or whatever concoction I had on hand, they were always a struggle to deal with on a daily basis.

Yesterday I gave up and had a hairdresser trim three inches, which covered the crispy ends and a little extra for good measure. I also exchanged my U-hemline for a blunt one; I have always had the U or layers, so blunt is a new shape for me to experiment with.

I am happy with the trim; I have some thinning issues and new regrowth makes it more obvious. The trim makes my hair look neater and better-cared for.

Right now I will continue my current routine. Instead of trying to microtrim monthly I will check my ends in March. I figure three months or so will help me gauge how well my routine is working for length retention and make changes as needed. April or May I will trim another inch or so, and check again in September, with a final goal to be back at waist Dec 2015.

Anyone else still planning on maintaining next year?

LauraLongLocks
December 21st, 2014, 07:21 PM
If I could reach BCL to TBL before the end of the year, I would join all of you, but that's not happening. I'm hoping to get by with quarterly trims the next two years so my hemline doesn't totally go to crap while I'm on my way to TBL. In two more years, I should be at TBL and I plan to maintain a whole year there before growing longer. I'll have to make a thread then, because most of you won't be maintaining with me.

yahirwaO.o
December 21st, 2014, 07:34 PM
If I could reach BCL to TBL before the end of the year, I would join all of you, but that's not happening. I'm hoping to get by with quarterly trims the next two years so my hemline doesn't totally go to crap while I'm on my way to TBL. In two more years, I should be at TBL and I plan to maintain a whole year there before growing longer. I'll have to make a thread then, because most of you won't be maintaining with me.

Ill join you somehow.... I have the plan that next two years I will be keeping the same lenght (past arm pit) in order to get super thick ends.... I know this not LHC super long but I really prefer now quality versus lenght .

Been trimmin every mont since August and the improvement is just awesome!!!

Robot Ninja
December 21st, 2014, 07:41 PM
I will join this party. :beercheer:

I want to let my layers/pre-LHC breakeage/whatever it is that is making my hair taper so much catch up a bit, so I'll be maintaining at classic at least until June.

Upside Down
December 22nd, 2014, 03:42 AM
I am probably in, as post partum shed has started, I still don't know how much my thickness will suffer... Will have to see by the end of January, but probably some maintaining till June at least.

And to think I had just hit waist (my goal)... And then cut back to bsl... Ah :(

Ocelan
December 25th, 2014, 04:41 AM
I just reached TBL which is about an inch from my final (for now atleast) goal. Once the year turns, I'll be doing my first micro-trim and while sloooowly growing to my final goal, I'll be trimming off most of my growth for atleast the year of 2015. I probably plan on trimming at the beginning of each month.

Nique1202
December 25th, 2014, 06:09 AM
I am all about this thread. I want to keep growing, growing, growing, but my ultra-deep layers are really putting a wrench in my plans. I'm hoping as 2015 plays out that I start to really feel like my hair is hip length. Because so little of my hair is at full length, with my wurly mane I never really feel like my hair looks that long, even though I've measured it and had help measuring it. I'll be really happy to see it soften from such a sharp V into a nice U and have the length really show itself as the year wears on, and I'll be over the moon to have hair that's easy to S&D. Compact-cut layers from chin to hip make S&D a nightmare.

At the end of 2015, I'm gonna see where my short layers are (I think they'll be about mbl, they reach around to the nape of my hairline/14in now, but I may have to do a couple of microtrims if I get too sick of trying to S&D) and figure out if I want to keep maintaining until it's blunt at hip or use feye's u-hemline trim using the shortest parts as a guide mark and grow from wherever that takes me. I've never had hair this long before at all, and even when I was mbl before it was heavily layered, so I have no idea what a u or a blunt hemline will feel like! I'm excited to find out.

GoblinTart
December 25th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Just cut back to APL and i love the way my hair feels now. I'll be visiting my hairdresser for regular microtrims throughout the year to keep the bluntness and lack of damage maintained. She's only taking off a little bit at a time so i can still get growth.

Bonny
December 25th, 2014, 09:29 AM
I am in! I'm at classic and don't want to grow it longer. But my ends are not in great shape, so I'm maintaining here until I figure out whether I want to stay at classic or go shorter.

Ocelan
January 10th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Ah, found this thread again. After a year and about two weeks of not trimming, the other day I just trimmed off about 1 cm, which was basically just the racers, so about 20-30 of the longest hairs. But so did the maintaining begin! :)

After my trim I now have 4 cm to reach my ultimate goal of 100 cm, so I am going to try to get there while still doing some dusting each month, atleast 1/2 cm (my hair grows 1 cm a month or a bit less). If I feel I'm not thickening up fast enough, I'll skip dusting one month here or there, but basically if more of my thickness keeps on moving down, I'm ok with my "nearly there" goal aswell.

So have any of you others started your maintaining already? :)

Nymphea
January 10th, 2015, 03:54 PM
I think I belong here! I'm maintaining at hip for half a year now, and I see the hemline improvement which basically makes me feel a lot better, considering the fact that my hair is the same length all the time. :/

Actually, I started maintaining after I found out that I just can't keep up with the brittle, dry ends of my then TBL hair. Besides the fact that it was getting caught into everything, it was also dry and prone to breakage. So I decided to cut back to approximately hip and to maintain my length there.

This length is actually nice - it's long enough for me, and I can manage it easily.

So I'm going to stay here for the next 6 months, I think... Maybe through the whole 2015, we'll see. :)

TwilightShadow
January 13th, 2015, 01:08 PM
My hair is still hip length after I trimmed 5 cm in December. Since my hair finally looks long to me, I plan on thickening my hemline this year, as well as slowly growing towards BCL. I want to trim 1 cm every 2-3 months. I still have layers to grow out (the shortest ones being my bangs) and a lot of taper.

Dickiebow
January 13th, 2015, 02:30 PM
I started trimming a couple of days ago after nearly a year of no trims. I cut only 1cm. Like Ocelan, it was mainly racers but it feels nice to have started. Ideally I'd like to continue growing this year as I am nowhere near my ideal length of waist (I'm only just BSL) but I have straggly layers, damaged ends and bleach that I need to cut out. I hope the end of this year brings me more presentable, healthy hair that is a few cm longer than now. fingers crossed

Sharysa
January 13th, 2015, 03:45 PM
Count me in! I'm maintaining at hip-length until I decide to grow my hair longer!

Becs
January 13th, 2015, 04:00 PM
I think I might join you all here. I didn't get a trim for about two years and then started microtrimming a bit this past fall. My hair isn't damaged at all but I have a bit of taper so I think I'm going to continue microtrimming through 2015 to try and get my thickness to grow down. I might grow a bit as well but we shall see
ETA: I'm a bit past BCL at the moment