PDA

View Full Version : Hair doesn't hold natural wave

LunaLuvsU
August 17th, 2014, 09:06 AM
My hair is right around 2a (give or take a little) if I dont comb it after washing/getting wet. But even after it drys as soon as I comb it or brush it a lot of the texture smooths out. Is there a reason behind this or is it simply how my hair is? I would love to have it around most of the time, even though it eats length :o. My sisters hair is easily 2a/2b and heavily damaged but hers stays even though she combs out her hair after a shower. I comb out my hair after and it turns to 1b/1c. Not that there is anything wrong with those textures :cheese:

sarahthegemini
August 17th, 2014, 09:27 AM
A lot of wavies lose their waves if they comb their hair. I certainly do!

lapushka
August 17th, 2014, 09:32 AM
That's exactly why the curly girl method tells you not to comb/brush your hair dry. It loses a part of the wave/curl pattern.

For me, my hair can't be combed when it's soaking wet full of conditioner, so it gets combed once it's out of the turbie towel (15 to 30 min.), so damp. My styling products are scrunched in after that, so that brings the texture that I've partly lost back. But if there's not much wave, then I get that the texture just goes. That's just the way it is.

jasper
August 17th, 2014, 09:40 AM
My waves are the same. I grew up using a hair dryer and vented brush, which knocked out the waves before I ever saw them. All that time, I figured my hair was straight with a tendency to misbehave.

BonnieU
August 17th, 2014, 09:51 AM
I don't brush my hair...ever. I don't even own a comb. I finger comb in the shower while using shampoo bar and that's it. My waves/curls will hold up through out the week and naturally relax as I bun and it stretches out.

Johannah
August 17th, 2014, 11:45 AM
I've had this problem as well. I quit using a brush and only combed my hair with a wide tooth comb. I definitely saw results after a week or so. I don't touch it when wet anymore so the wave can actually 'develop'. And most important: I use a spray with humectants (glycerin and hydrolyzed keratin) which gives me even more waves, even when I comb it through when it's fully air dried.

molljo
August 17th, 2014, 12:54 PM
I'm going to quote what I said in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125046)

My experience is that waves are temperamental and have low self esteem. They need to be handled and encouraged in *just* the right way, or they'll act out and become poofy and frizzy, or they'll give up and go straight (sometimes you end up with poofy/frizzy straight hair). Your waves seem to have very low self esteem, and so any kind of dry detangling is going to shut them down. If you must detangle dry, I would save brushing and combing for nighttime or in the morning before refreshing them with a mister.(bolded for emphasis)

Additionally, this is the main reason why SO MANY people have no idea they have wavy hair. They think that if you can easily make it straight then it's not *really* wavy, when that simply is not the case. It's not a problem you can solve; it's the nature of the beast. If you want waves, don't comb it.

Johannah
August 17th, 2014, 01:00 PM
I'm going to quote what I said in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125046)
(bolded for emphasis)

Additionally, this is the main reason why SO MANY people have no idea they have wavy hair. They think that if you can easily make it straight then it's not *really* wavy, when that simply is not the case. It's not a problem you can solve; it's the nature of the beast. If you want waves, don't comb it.

This is why I always thought I had 1b/1c hair that didn't really know what it wanted. Though I don't really agree with the 'don't comb it' part. If I should stop combing my hair... Well... That would be a mess :lol: Don't comb it when wet (unless in the shower with conditioner) will definitely help though.

BonnieU
August 17th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Maybe curly hair is just that much different then wavy hair, i definitely am more on the curly side and I'll tell you if you brush it at all when dry you will, absolutely will lose you your curl pattern. No two ways about it. But I'm speaking as a more curly head, so possibly out of turn ;)

battles
August 17th, 2014, 02:10 PM
I end up with fluffy "straight" hair if I brush my hair dry. If I handle it in the right way, I get defined waves. Barely wavy hair is picky. :p

molljo
August 17th, 2014, 02:24 PM
This is why I always thought I had 1b/1c hair that didn't really know what it wanted. Though I don't really agree with the 'don't comb it' part. If I should stop combing my hair... Well... That would be a mess :lol: Don't comb it when wet (unless in the shower with conditioner) will definitely help though.

I didn't mean no combing ever, obviously.

GetMeToWaist
August 17th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Hmm... Brushing my hair dry and very carefully with a Denman natural bristle brush actually smoothens, softens and detangles my hair with no frizz. Its awesome. But thats just me. Might be because i have medium coarse hair.

HumanBean
August 17th, 2014, 05:20 PM
If I comb or brush...even finger combing...I lose most of the waves. I braid it at night to keep them going, and I've been experimenting with the LOC method recently to help out, but all in all I doubt I'll ever have the thicker locks of waves I envy.

sourgrl
August 17th, 2014, 06:01 PM
I comb damp. Once dry I finger comb only. Any combing or brushing when dry causes poof and kills my waves. Not combing takes some getting used to but is effective in preserving my swaves

Johannah
August 18th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I didn't mean no combing ever, obviously.

Obviously, yes. But there are people who only comb their hair in the shower. Can't imagine doing that :lol:

browneyedsusan
August 18th, 2014, 11:46 AM
My hair seems to relax as time passes, or if I go outside. It's straight as a pin when it's dirty. I've never, ever had "frizzy" hair. When I experimented with LOC, it still tried to be straight. (My siggy, is after a fresh henna, and was twisted up in a T-shirt until half-dry.) I'm still unsure of my hairtype, but it seems like it wants to be almost straight. Not quite, but almost. :)

ExpectoPatronum
August 18th, 2014, 12:06 PM
My hair is very wavy and even I lose nearly all of my natural wave when I comb or brush it dry and even when it's damp. The only time I can comb or brush is when my hair is sopping wet in the shower. I used to comb twice a day. Getting used to only combing my hair in the shower did take some time to get used to, but once I did I can't imagine going back. I do comb out my hair before putting it in an updo, however. I just haven't been wearing my hair up lately.

I also find scrunching a gel in to really work wonders on hold. If I use gel and don't touch my hair, my waves will look nice for a couple of days. For fixing my hair between washings, I like to use an afro pick and my fingers.