PDA

View Full Version : Hair odor?

lectraplayer
August 17th, 2014, 08:10 AM
I keep having people complain about the odor of my "hair products." While I bathe (and wash my hair in some way, primarily CO) daily, how can I narrow down the cause? I've changed combinations several times, and even not used them for a few days. No positive results yet. What is likely causing this oily odor though my hair is far from oily?

eadwine
August 17th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Which products do you use?

Madora
August 17th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Perhaps what you are using on your hair is causing the odor? Do you use shampoo only? A conditioner? Oils? What you put on your hair may be working at cross purposes, creating the odor. Are you rinsing your hair well? Have you tried clarifying your hair? It may be a product you're using is causing the problem...but hair odor is usually an indication that the hair needs shampooing...with shampoo, NOT conditioner. A shampoo cleanses, a conditioner conditions.

eadwine
August 17th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Madora I can hear the CO folks around the corner ;)

Johannah
August 17th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Never heard of this before, but if you mainly CO it might be an idea to do a good clarify and see how that goes.

Chromis
August 17th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Are they complaining that your hair smelly oily or like perfume? Complaining about your hair products would seem to indicate you are using highly fragranced stuff.

Madora
August 17th, 2014, 09:01 AM
[QUOTE=eadwine;2797222]Madora I can hear the CO folks around the corner ;)[/QUOTE

Yep, I'm expectin' 'em any moment now!

ooglipoo
August 17th, 2014, 09:24 AM
My hair will pick up odors from cooking, frying especially. Could that be part of it? If it isn't the perfume smell...

lapushka
August 17th, 2014, 09:53 AM
I'm with eadwine, we need to know what you're usin' before we can say anything.

truepeacenik
August 17th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Do you use anti dandruff products? That can make some terrible smells.
From just off to fecal.

Imalath
August 17th, 2014, 12:06 PM
I've discovered that sebum has its own smell, which always comes off as a bit...off to me. Also any shampoo or conditioner using shea butter always made my hair smell bad as well. Actually now that I think about it, a lot of the oils that you can put in your hair have a potential go rancid and smell too.

I work in a kitchen and spend a lot of time around deep fryers; the smell kind of sinks into my hair. I never notice it at work because the whole kitchen smells that way, but I do notice it at home. I usually wash my hair daily and use a lightweight leave-in with a light scent I enjoy; it and any oil I might put on the ends to seal in the moisture never stays in my hair long enough to turn rancid.

Good luck :)

Symphony
August 17th, 2014, 12:37 PM
If it smells oily, I would clarify with some sort of shampoo. If you are really concerned, use a sulfate free shampoo and maybe put some conditioner on the ends of your hair beforehand. For me, personally, it is unacceptable for me to have smelly hair, and a change in routine would be in order.

monsoonstorm
August 17th, 2014, 12:39 PM
My hair smells of henndigo, most specifically when I work out. I've tried ginger etc and it helped a little. Perhaps try that? A ginger rinse?

lectraplayer
August 18th, 2014, 12:43 PM
I am using a variant of the Curly Girl Method and mostly washing WO and doing CO a couple times a week with Suave Herbal Essences. I clarify (usually) once a season or as needed, usually with my wife's Garnier Fructis shampoo. However, the Fructis conditioner is kryptonite due to the dimethicone. I just finished a bottle of Doo Gro hair growth oil, always applied after my shower, but only every two or three days. I need LOTS of moisture and currently am dry and frizzy. The complaints I am hearing are of an oily smell. Olive oil moisturized the best, but again, I quit using it due to odor. I wash in some way each night, and rinse fairly well, though I have tried not rinsing so much. Still looking for big moisture with little/no odor.

I do not have a use for anti-dandruff products at this time.

Madora
August 18th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Still looking for big moisture with little/no odor.

lectraplayer, have you tried Mineral Oil (aka baby oil) to help moisturize your hair. You only need 2 or 3 drops, applied to your hands, not directly to your hair. While MO can be applied to damp hair in general, it's usually a good idea to clarify your hair first with a clarifying shampoo, then do a light conditioning treatment. Then apply the drops (very sparingly!) all over your hands, then run your hands through your hair several times until the sheen has almost disappeared from your palms.

MO also helps tame frizzies. I use it in place of conditioner. Johnson and Johnson makes a good baby oil (with MO and fragrance ONLY). It's very inexpensive and a bottle will last forever. Leaves no after scent and washes out easily next shampoo.

lectraplayer
August 18th, 2014, 04:27 PM
I may have to add that to my shopping list. ;)

ooglipoo
August 18th, 2014, 06:03 PM
I'm wondering if it may be the Doo Gro? What did it smell like?

lapushka
August 18th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I may be getting into controversial waters here, but might the WO have something to do with the hair smelling oily? Maybe it's time to CO all the time instead of WO & CO like you've been doing, and see whether that makes a difference. WO is not for everyone.

Anje
August 18th, 2014, 10:31 PM
Are they complaining that your hair smelly oily or like perfume? Complaining about your hair products would seem to indicate you are using highly fragranced stuff.
This is my thinking too. I've been in some environments where strongly fragranced personal products aren't acceptable, and my DH (who's rather scent-sensitive himself) has had a coworker that had difficulty breathing and would have his airways start closing if someone wore perfumed products in the room they shared at his office.

Find out exactly what the problem is. Sometimes you need to accommodate people you work and live near out of reasonable respect for their comfort and health, not because you were doing anything wrong.

Creagan
August 19th, 2014, 12:18 AM
If I use any kind of shampoo other than the one I usually use (DHS Clear,) my mom complains that I either "don't smell like yourself," or that I don't smell "clean." Seriously, it doesn't matter how well I scrubbed my scalp, or what shampoo it is. If it's not the usual stuff, she fusses about the smell.

DHS Clear isn't really that great for hair, it's pretty drying. But I have no sense of smell, so I have no way of knowing if it's the only stuff that works on my scalp, or if my mom's just fussing because she doesn't like the change. So I'm stuck using it until I can get somebody else to smell my scalp for me. (Which is a weird thing to ask of somebody, so it probably won't happen anytime soon.)