PDA

View Full Version : Share you hair story and photos with me!

wool
August 17th, 2014, 12:30 AM
Hi there everyone! Im brand new to the LHC and would love for everyone to post their hair story and plenty of photos because I love inspiration that comes from this website! Personally I have fine thin hair and I am going for waist but it seems to be taking forever and my ends are very uneven. Also, I'm trying to figure out this website so any advice or tips or anything are cool too! Thanks!

PrincessBob
August 17th, 2014, 02:15 AM
Interesting thread idea, but just so you know, you won't be able to view said photos until you get your post count up by participating in other threads on the forum (Swap board and New? Start Here do not count). It goes by quickly if you take the time to look at threads that interest you and maybe post extensive replies to some of the polls.

My hair is 2a (not stick straight, but not very wavy, though many individual strands are downright curly), iii (quite thick, about a 5" ponytail circumference), and medium to fine with a sprinkling of coarse hairs all on a tender scalp. It is tangle prone and often uncooperative and it literally hangs to my knees. But! it is strong and with a Tangle Teezer is actually easy to manage. When I joined I had been stalled somewhere around lower waist, but LHC helped me grow it to super lengths.

I look better with long hair, and it feels amazing to be able to do so many styles (particularly protective updos). Even at mid-back abyss, most hairstyles weren't achievable due to the combination of my inexperience with functional hair accessories and thickness. It was from tutorials I found here I discovered the trick of getting hair sticks to actually work and not take a nosedive was to cause a small amount of tension by poking the bun perpendicular, and scooping up scalp hair as you pivot it parallel and through the style.

I learned that bobby pins aren't meant to hold updos together, but just to grip small amounts of hair. I learned about the many, more hair-friendly alternatives to bobby pins. Now I can easily braid my hair and sew it in place around my head with satin ribbon, or put it up in an intricate looking bun that takes less than two minutes with a hair fork, or pit my hair in a ponytail by doing the first step of a nautilus bun without wrapping the tail around the base and securing it with a pair of sticks (shortens my hair significantly, and cute for summer wear).

When I joined LHC 4 years ago I knew several braids, but could not french braid. I made "buns" by pulling my hair halfway through an elastic and re-banding and folding it until it was a frizzy tangle ball, or make a cinnabun and try to secure it with an elastic. It always fell and fast. I wore my hair in 4-strand braided pigtails every day and often with a bandanna to hide the frizz and keep long grown out bangs out of my way. I tore through it for 45+ excruciating minutes every day with a paddle brush, often cutting out knots rather than deal with the tugging on my scalp. Then one day I chanced to be gifted a hair glove by a friend of mine.

It was so cool! Made from black leather with silver snaps, and 20 inches long, it left a cute tassel of hair hanging from the end when I snapped it around my ponytail. It kept my hair contained without braiding and it stayed put with less tangling than a ponytail, or any of my "bunned" styles. I became obsessed and turned to the net to learn more about this wonderful accessory. I came across a thread about hair gloves and read more, and then I became a lurker. That was around spring break 2010. I finally joined a few months later. The very first change I made was to add dilution of apple cider vinegar as a rinse to my shower hair routine. I have done a lot of experimentation to find that my hair loves the ACV rinse and the Tangle Teezer, but shuns many other products commonly loved in this community.

I am now a longhair with an extensive hair accessory collection, with well over 50 options to choose from every day. It's a good thing, too, because my tender scalp likes for my hair styles to be re done periodically throughout the days, switching accessories, alternating styles, and migrating the style forward or back to alleviate painful tension and reduce the occurrence of hot spots. These sticks and forks can make my air look stunning while up, and because I only choose very gentle and non-snaggy accessories, they allow me to pull them for a jaw dropping bun tumble which is always a fun way to liven up a party.

jacqueline101
August 17th, 2014, 02:59 AM
I have some of my photos from the beginning of my journey on my photo bucket album and the link is in my sigi. My starting length was shoulder length with the remains of a spiral perm. It was frizzy and not in good shape. I was desperate to find help and my little brother found this site on yahoo. A girl wanted help on picking out shampoo for her classic length hair. My brother helped me set up an account. Here I am today on my journey I'm at bra strap after a run in with layers. Then breakage but now I'm strong and healthy. By the way I have thin fine hair I'm also a straight hair. If this is you we have a thread.

The forum has some features that aren't working yet. I think the articles is one that's still down and the search feature.

Tini'sNewHair
August 17th, 2014, 03:28 AM
If you keep an eye on the mane forum, theres always threads from people celebrating years of growth, theres also threads where people group up to support one another going from one milestone to another (bsl to waist etc.)... keep and eye out :)

NuclearApple
August 17th, 2014, 03:33 AM
As PrincessBob said you can't see pictures at the moment! :(
However if it can be useful I post the link of my first anniversary here on the forum! There are some pictures, when you will reach post 25 you will be able to see them all :o
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125347

Madora
August 17th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Welcome to LHC, Wool! You might find this helpful:http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=120052

My hair is moderately thick and scraping knee and graying. I've been a long hair for a good part of my life. I'm a follower of Dr. George Michael, famed "Czar of Long Hair", world famous as THE guru of long hair care. I believe in benign neglect and the "less is more" approach, daily brushing with a pure boar bristle brush (no plastic!), monthly washing, and wearing my hair up and braided (never down). I've been using the George Michael shampoo exclusively since 1982 and never anything else. I air dry only and do not oil (except mo for detangling after shampooing). I'm a firm believer that everyone should enjoy their hair, whether short or long. Long hair is a commitment but pays off handsomely if you have the patience to stick with it. Long hair is versatile! You're never plagued with "how am I going to wear my hair today?" Bottom line: you need a lot of patience, but in the end, the results are worth it.

Johannah
August 17th, 2014, 08:00 AM
If you keep an eye on the mane forum, theres always threads from people celebrating years of growth, theres also threads where people group up to support one another going from one milestone to another (bsl to waist etc.)... keep and eye out :)

Copy and paste this in Google search and you'll find those anniversary threads:
site:longhaircommunity.com anniversary

When I have a bit more time than now I'll tell you my story. :)

Johannah
August 17th, 2014, 12:23 PM
When I have a bit more time than now I'll tell you my story. :)

I started growing my hair in May 2011. My hair was bleached (A LOT of highlights!) and heat damaged. It was APL length and heavily layered starting from ear length. I quit using heat and grew out the bleach. Right now my hair is between waist en hip length without layers. It took me three years to get rid of them.

I've learned a lot since I joined the forum, especially the last six months. My hair is low porous. I can't use oils or creams as a leave in because they don't do anything for my hair unless laying on top of my hair and making it greasy. I got build up pretty fast as well if I don't use sulfates. Because I use sulfates, I CWC so it doesn't run through my ends. Cones or no cones doesn't make a big difference, so I don't care about using them or not. As a post-wash I use a detangler spray which contains a lot of glycerin and hydrolyzed keratin (humectants). I've over moisturized my hair in December and I started using protein to fix it. I noticed my hair absolutely LOVES hydrolyzed keratin so I use it regularly in shampoos/conditioners as well. It even gave me waves (I went from 1b/1c to 2a).

wool
August 17th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Welcome to LHC, Wool! You might find this helpful:http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=120052

My hair is moderately thick and scraping knee and graying. I've been a long hair for a good part of my life. I'm a follower of Dr. George Michael, famed "Czar of Long Hair", world famous as THE guru of long hair care. I believe in benign neglect and the "less is more" approach, daily brushing with a pure boar bristle brush (no plastic!), monthly washing, and wearing my hair up and braided (never down). I've been using the George Michael shampoo exclusively since 1982 and never anything else. I air dry only and do not oil (except mo for detangling after shampooing). I'm a firm believer that everyone should enjoy their hair, whether short or long. Long hair is a commitment but pays off handsomely if you have the patience to stick with it. Long hair is versatile! You're never plagued with "how am I going to wear my hair today?" Bottom line: you need a lot of patience, but in the end, the results are worth it.

Thanks so much for that link it is perfect! And generally thanks to those who've replied so far cleared up a lot of things i was wondering about how to use the site so far!

Madora
August 17th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Thanks so much for that link it is perfect! And generally thanks to those who've replied so far cleared up a lot of things i was wondering about how to use the site so far!

Glad I could help, wool. Here's another link that pertains to what newbies can see and do :http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68520

Please note that not all posts add to your total number of posts. If you post in the NEW, START HERE or in the SWAP forum the posts don't count. Also, the quality of your post has to be more than a simple sentence or a "yes or no" reply.

Read the "stickies" and the "FAQs" for more important info. Most of all, have fun..and happy growing!

Santi
August 17th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Double post.

Santi
August 17th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Hi, i'm new to LHC & excited about learning from all of you. Thanks for sharing the info about Dr. George Michael.
My hair story started last year. I made the decision to transition back to my curly hair. It is a combination of curly, wavy & currently at SL. My permed ends are low porosity & the new growth is normal. I always thought my hair was thick. I'm not sure. I think it has a high density. Does that make sense? Does it matter? What do the roman numerals mean? I wasn't sure what to put when filling out my hair type.
Are there any threads that anyone can recommend as my starting point? Thanks

Madora
August 17th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Santi, I found one of them: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369

Hair typing guide (includes the numerals you referred to): http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252

wool
August 17th, 2014, 04:24 PM
I started growing my hair in May 2011. My hair was bleached (A LOT of highlights!) and heat damaged. It was APL length and heavily layered starting from ear length. I quit using heat and grew out the bleach. Right now my hair is between waist en hip length without layers. It took me three years to get rid of them.

I've learned a lot since I joined the forum, especially the last six months. My hair is low porous. I can't use oils or creams as a leave in because they don't do anything for my hair unless laying on top of my hair and making it greasy. I got build up pretty fast as well if I don't use sulfates. Because I use sulfates, I CWC so it doesn't run through my ends. Cones or no cones doesn't make a big difference, so I don't care about using them or not. As a post-wash I use a detangler spray which contains a lot of glycerin and hydrolyzed keratin (humectants). I've over moisturized my hair in December and I started using protein to fix it. I noticed my hair absolutely LOVES hydrolyzed keratin so I use it regularly in shampoos/conditioners as well. It even gave me waves (I went from 1b/1c to 2a).

How did you find out how porous your hair is? When I have tried oils or even the conditions from the brand i use my hair becomes a stringy and greasy. It will look like it hasn't quite dried yet after washing it. (I have morocco method shampoos and so their conditioners are oil based) and i have no idea what hydrolyzed keratin is haha!

Madora
August 17th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Wool, this might be of help: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.sk/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html

Santi
August 17th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Thanks Madora! That was helpful. According to the link, I am 3c/M/ii. I will change my profile when i'm allowed access. I will also check out what you recommended to Wool.

Santi
August 17th, 2014, 06:18 PM
It's nice to hear about the progress you've had in 3 years. It makes it hopeful for a newbie. I started my healthy hair journey last year. It never occurred to me that I could actually grow & like my hair w/o the use of chemicals. Congrats on the discovery of your 2b hair.