PDA

View Full Version : A George Michael hairstyle w/illustrations

Madora
August 16th, 2014, 12:12 PM
I found this many years ago - March 1979. I've never tried it myself but thought I'd share. All you need are some long bobby pins (not the short ones) plus a large barrette. Enjoy!http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/81414GMhairstyletut_edited-1.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/81414GMhairstyletut_edited-1.jpg.html)

meteor
August 16th, 2014, 12:28 PM
That looks so cool! :D Thank you so much for posting it! :)
It looks like a thick, elaborate and hair-friendly ponytail with a bun!

So the barrette (in step 4) going to pin the ends to the scalp hair? Or is this barrette going to pin the ends to the pinned-down area (showed in step 2)?

jacqueline101
August 16th, 2014, 12:42 PM
I love that style I used to do one years ago like it. My grandma showed me the style.

Éothyn
August 16th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Thank you! I saw this on a previous post of yours, Madora, and forgot to bookmark it. I don't think my BSL hair is long enough for this style but I am saving this for the (hopefully) near future.

RapunzelKat
August 16th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Oh my, that's lovely! :crush: I'm going to have to dig around, I know I've got some long bobby pins tucked away somewhere... ;)
Thank you for sharing, Madora!

MeowScat
August 16th, 2014, 01:24 PM
I wonder how that would look with the nape being secured with an elastic instead of long bobbies. Hmmm....

Thanks for sharing, I have his book too, you've made me want to go find it!

Clarkie
August 16th, 2014, 03:22 PM
This looks so cool but I gotta admit when I clicked on the thread I thought George Michael....the 80's singer from Wham! wait or is that George MichaelS????:laugh:

Madora
August 16th, 2014, 03:31 PM
That looks so cool! :D Thank you so much for posting it! :)
It looks like a thick, elaborate and hair-friendly ponytail with a bun!

So the barrette (in step 4) going to pin the ends to the scalp hair? Or is this barrette going to pin the ends to the pinned-down area (showed in step 2)?

The "twisted loop" (for lack of a better description) is pinned with a barrette to the scalp. The remaining tassel of the loop (4 inches..or however much tassel you have left depending on hair length) is divided into little sections. Each section is then finger rolled into a sort of barrel curl and pinned on the top and either side of where the clip is located. At least, that's how it seems to me, judging from the picture.

Ladies, I'm glad you enjoyed seeing this very, very rare article about a GM updo. I believe it came from American Hairdresser and Salon Owner, a professional publication in the hair industry. I've never, ever, seen a GM tutorial anywhere, except in his book, "George Michael's Secrets for Beautiful Hair".

meteor
August 16th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Thank you so very much for your crystal-clear instructions, Madora! :flowers:

Are there any other hair gurus today, sharing Dr George Michael's philosophy and writing hair care books? Because it kind of seems like he was one of a kind! :D
Visiting one of his hair salons is definitely on my "bucket list"! ;)

Sarahlabyrinth
August 16th, 2014, 04:22 PM
That is such a lovely style - it would be so good to see more of GM's styles so we LHCers can "keep them alive" so to speak. What a shame it would be if they were lost to history!

I tried doing this style yesterday. If I ever get it looking decent I will post a picture. I think I need more length to be honest.

I wonder where we can find more of his styles?

lapushka
August 16th, 2014, 06:13 PM
That is pretty cool! Thanks for posting this, Madora! :)

Madora
August 16th, 2014, 06:43 PM
You're welcome, Eothyn, RapunzelKat, MeowScat and Lapushka!

Meteor, if you're referring to hair gurus in hair salons sharing Dr. G's philosophy and writing hair care books. No, unless they have learned the technique and are using it in their salons..ie. the GM salon in Beverly Hills, Ca, Enchantress in Ohio, and the original salon in NYC, now known as Madora's Long Hair Heaven. There is also a GM practitioner in London and one in Zurich, I believe. There used to be one in Germany, years ago.

As for GM hairstyles, I think most of the hair magazines concentrated on his fame as a long hair guru..and his method for obtaining same, rather than the styles he could achieve. Perhaps he wanted to protect the styles that he could create...and he knew quite a few and demonstrated them at his yearly shows. But if truth be told, there's $$$ to be made when clients want to know how to do something different with their hair and are willing to pay for it. He did offer hairstyling lessons but I couldn't afford them. I was pretty "handy with my hair" as they told me one year, so I forwent the hairstyling lessons. Now, of course, I would have loved to have seen how he sectioned the hair (there's more than one way to do it).

So, that article was a pretty rare find indeed. I found it in a rather run down old magazine store in San Francisco which I used to haunt.

As far as hairstyling books per se: the one I loved and still have I purchased at the GM salon in 1982. It was published by PIVOT POINT INTERNATIONAL in 1979 (and had another printing the next year) and is entitled "The Systematic Approach to Long Hair Graphics" as illustrated in step by step b/w photos by Xenon of London. There's also an interview with Dr. Michael which includes photos on several pages of how to cleanse your hair and how to brush and trim your hair properly.

meteor
August 16th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Thank you so very much, Madora! :flowers: Yes, it would be so cool to find more of his styles to recreate! :)

For some reason, I'm imagining that they might look like more wearable/traditional versions of Princess Leia's hair styles that I find fantastic! ;)

I absolutely love the hair philosophy of GM salons! :D

Imalath
August 16th, 2014, 06:53 PM
That's lovely...I can't wait for my hair to get long enough to try it! Thank you for sharing :)

dellad
August 16th, 2014, 07:03 PM
I love the GM salon and all that they do there. Thank you, Madora, for posting this style.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 16th, 2014, 07:14 PM
I would love to go to a George Michael salon. We may be in New York next year so who knows? Would I need to book in advance?

Madora
August 16th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Thank you so very much, Madora! :flowers: Yes, it would be so cool to find more of his styles to recreate! :)

For some reason, I'm imagining that they might look like more wearable/traditional versions of Princess Leia's hair styles that I find fantastic! ;)

I absolutely love the hair philosophy of GM salons! :D

My pleasure, Meteor! I don't doubt they could recreate the Princess Leia hairstyles (provided they were not too extreme and not hair friendly). The trouble is the clients didn't always recognize that they didn't have enough hair to really pull it off well. I suppose he would have done it but he was rather a stickler for doing what was best for the hair.

Imalath and xiaoyaoer, glad you enjoyed the article as well!

Madora
August 16th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I would love to go to a George Michael salon. We may be in New York next year so who knows? Would I need to book in advance?

Oh,lucky, lucky you, Sarahlabyrinth!!! Yes, by all means, book in advance (I'd say at least one month). The salon is located in a building not too far from Grand Central Station. You need to press a buzzer in order to be admitted.

Bring something to occupy your time while you're under the heating cap and under the hair dryer. I have not had my hair done in this new location so can't vouch for what it's like. If Agnes is still with them, I recommend her. She took care of my hair twice. Tips are expected. What I did was give a little something to everyone who worked on my hair, with the larger tip going to the person who did the most work.

Be prepared to devote at least 2 hours to your visit. They also have a small assortment of hair friendly toys, as well as the GM line of goods.

If you go, please tell us all about it! Oh, and get a few pix taken too!

Shorty89
August 16th, 2014, 08:00 PM
I tried the style. I don't quite get how to secure my hair with bobby pins in step two, but it worked out okay, except for my ends.

http://i.imgur.com/sWmO3vD.jpg

Inching Along
August 16th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Ooo, I like how it looks, Shorty89! Really pretty, and you can see how the light reflects off of different areas.

Madora, thank you for sharing the article. I am fascinated by Dr. George Michael's story and his care for long hair. Would love to thumb through his book someday; it's really hard to find!

Shorty89
August 16th, 2014, 09:41 PM
AW thanks for the compliment. I'd love to see Torrin Page and her thick hair do this style!

Madora
August 16th, 2014, 10:23 PM
I tried the style. I don't quite get how to secure my hair with bobby pins in step two, but it worked out okay, except for my ends.

http://i.imgur.com/sWmO3vD.jpg

Oh, Shorty, that looks FANTASTIC! Good for you!

Sarahlabyrinth
August 16th, 2014, 10:52 PM
That looks amazing, Shorty!

Thanks for the tip, Madora, I sure hope I get to got there!

Madora
August 17th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Ooo, I like how it looks, Shorty89! Really pretty, and you can see how the light reflects off of different areas.

Madora, thank you for sharing the article. I am fascinated by Dr. George Michael's story and his care for long hair. Would love to thumb through his book someday; it's really hard to find!

My pleasure, Inching Along. I've seen his book on Amazon...at varying prices. You might want to see if your local library has the Inter-Library Loan service. Just provide them with name and title and with any luck, you might be able to enjoy Mr. Michael's book for a few weeks before it has to be returned. Here's the info: "George Michael's Secrets for Beautiful Hair" published in 1981 by Doubleday and Company, Inc., Garden City, New York, 236 pages (8 full page color photos). 7-1/4" x 10-1/4" (approx.) ISBN #: 0-385-15465-8 Copyright 1981 by George Michael Selizki

Inching Along
August 17th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Thank you, Madora! I would have to do an interlibrary loan; our library system doesn't have the book. I'll have to think about doing that! I found used copies being sold on Amazon, too. I am sure it's a classic and such fun to read.

meteor
August 17th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Great job, Shorty89! :applause Your hair looks amazing in that updo! :D