PDA

View Full Version : Bumble and Bumble Founder Says No One Will Use Shampoo in 5 Years

Larki
August 15th, 2014, 10:32 AM
“I honestly think in five years people are going to go, ‘Oh God, remember when we used to wash our hair with shampoo?’” Michael Gordon, Bumble and bumble’s founder told Wired (http://www.wired.com/2014/08/a-hair-salon-gurus-next-big-thing-ending-the-12b-tyranny-of-shampoo/) this week. It’s a big statement for a guy who practically invented the idea of fancy shampoo. An industry leader, he launched Bumble in 1977, and their well-loved product line in 1992. His penchant for innovation’s led to new collection of just three products called Purely Perfect. The highlight: Purely Perfect Cleansing Cream ($40), which he thinks will revolutionize hair.

Purely Perfect’s self-proclaimed “anti-shampoo” doesn’t lather, it’s free of silicones, detergents and sodium laureth sulfate—the ingredient in most shampoos that leaves you feeling scrubbed-clean. In fact, that drying chemical is what makes your hair need conditioners, masks, leave-ins, and heat-prep treatments. Gordon’s idea is that the nourishing, hydrating ingredients in Purely Perfect’s Cleansing Cream—aloe vera, rose flower, peppermint, and evening primrose oil—eliminates the need for all those other products. Just massage it in to wet hair, leave it in for a few minutes, and rinse out. According the Purely Perfect website, it works on all hair types, including color-treated hair, and you should see dramatic results within one to three uses.

The time is right for Cleansing Cream. Many women are looking to streamline their routine with time-saving products like dry shampoo, and the “no ‘poo” movement continues to gain steam as people are enlightened on the benefits of washing hair less frequently. Proenza Schouler’s CEO Shirly Cook (http://intothegloss.com/2011/04/shirley-cook-ceo-proenza-schouler/) made waves three years ago when she admitted to giving up shampoo, and this week a woman named Lucy Aitken Read’s launched a book called Happy Hair: The definitive guide to giving up shampoo (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11021507/I-havent-used-shampoo-in-2-years-and-my-hair-has-never-looked-better.-Welcome-to-the-UKs-no-poo-movement.html). She hasn’t used the stuff in two years. Gordon’s product lacks all the harsh chemicals that are starting to scare consumers, and its biodegradable formula is eco-friendly. You’d save a lot of time, money, and potential landfill space by ditching your arsenal of products.

Gordon told Wired that hairdressers have long known that detergents are bad for your hair, but that it’s typically marketers and distributors who work with labs and put products on shelves, and professionals like himself, have little input into product formulas. With a hands on approach, he’s hoping to change the market and the entire hair grooming experience. His next goal is to go one step further and eliminate waste entirely. How? Who knows. But with innovation like this it might not be such a stretch.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/bumble-and-bumble-founder-says-no-one-will-use-shampoo-94742095488.html

eadwine
August 15th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Cream.. says enough. My hair will hate it, out of all the things in LOC, the C is what it hates the most LOL

molljo
August 15th, 2014, 10:50 AM
A very cynical part of me is wondering if this push for cleansing conditioners will open a market for anti-shedding products.

eadwine
August 15th, 2014, 10:52 AM
^ I want a "like" button here now.. lol

blue_eyes
August 15th, 2014, 10:55 AM
I like the idea of no sulfates, silicones, detergents, etc. but whenever I use shampoos that claim not to have any sulfates, eventually I need to use a sulfate shampoo because my hair begins to seem weighed down & strikes me as a little greasy after washing. Maybe it's all in my mind, but every so often I still like to give my scalp a really good cleaning.
I dunno, I'd be willing to give it a try but I can't even see myself completely giving up regular shampoo. :P

I also take everything said by someone promoting their own product with a grain of salt.

AmyBeth
August 15th, 2014, 10:59 AM
My very fine, non-porous hair hates CO. If they come up with a formulated cleansing cream for my hairtype, I might jump on board, but it has also got to be affordable. I'm not spending any more that maybe $10.00 for shampoo! And it seems that most of the cleansing creams are simply outrageously priced.

Anje
August 15th, 2014, 11:00 AM
I tend to be skeptical of someone who also believes $30 for 8oz of shampoo is a reasonable price that consumers will pay.

Laurenji
August 15th, 2014, 11:12 AM
I tend to be skeptical of someone who also believes $30 for 8oz of shampoo is a reasonable price that consumers will pay.

Especially since I would probably use all of that in 2 or 3 washings!

kidari
August 15th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Some people cannot CO wash. I know of many people who wash anywhere from 1-3x per wk with a very strong shampoo followed by a rich conditioner and this works wonders for their long hair. Personally, I wash twice with a gentle shampoo rather than once with a strong shampoo.

Theobroma
August 15th, 2014, 11:44 AM
A very cynical part of me is wondering if this push for cleansing conditioners will open a market for anti-shedding products.

Yep, that was my first thought too. After the way my shedding built up so disastrously while I was doing CO, the mere thought of putting anything like a cleansing "cream" anywhere near my scalp makes me want to run the other way! :run:

jacqueline101
August 15th, 2014, 11:52 AM

I agree. That's too much in my book. I hate to give over 5.00 plus tax.

mz_butterfly
August 15th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Shampoo isn't going to phase out in 5 years.

And his cleansing cream? It's the same thing WEN is doing. It's conditioner.

Many people are already using less shampoo and more conditioner, just not at those higher prices.

meteor
August 15th, 2014, 12:46 PM
The ingredients look OK (*see below), but at $40 a pop, I don't think it's worth the hype! :) And there are some natural ingredients there that are known irritants.
Also, I don't see anything that would be as good as standard detergents at removing build-up, so I wouldn't rely on this to really clean hair.
I don't see how it's any better than many standard (and much more affordable) CO conditioners? The idea behind CO-washing is very old indeed.

As for the things we'll be using in not-too-distant future, my bet is on new types of skin/hair cleansing that will involve tweaking our micro-flora, utilizing our bacterial ecosystems to improve the quality of our skin/hair. L'Oreal has already researched some interesting stuff. Bifidobacterium longum extract and Lactobacillus plantarum can already be found in easily available commercial products. This is a very exciting and promising frontier indeed: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/25/magazine/my-no-soap-no-shampoo-bacteria-rich-hygiene-experiment.html?_r=0

The ingredients for Purely Perfect:
purified water, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, cetearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, glycerin, stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, stearyl alcohol, dicetyldimonium chloride, gluconolactone, rosa centifola flower water, penthenol, rosa canina seed extract, equisetum hiemale extract, oenothera biennis (evening primrose) oil, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil, helianthis annus (sunflower) seed oil, keratin, hydrolyzed keratin, menthyl lactate, ceteareth-20, isopropyl alcohol, behentrimonium methosulfate, citric acid, sodium benzoate, trisidium hedta, calcium gluconate, phenoxyethanol, tocopherol
Fragrance: cananga odorata flower oil, eugenia caryophyllus (clove) leaf oil, aniba rosaeodora (rosewood) wood oil, rosa damascena flower oil, myroxylon pereirae (balsam peru) oil, guaiacum officinale wood oil, pelargonium graveolens oil, citronellol, geraniol, linalool.

Hibernis
August 15th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Two-In-One shampoo/conditioner is nothing new. Head & Shoulders THRIVES on that model. I think Pert Plus was the big two-in-one name when I was growing up.

Also, companies like to claim that Their New Innovative Product will replace all other products. Corporate posturing. *yawn*

Verdandi
August 15th, 2014, 12:55 PM

This! I've tried CO several times, I'm one of those it just doesn't work for and every time I do it for an extended period of time (more than two-three washes) it looks like a red furry rat has died in my drain, opposed to the like 20 shed hairs I get when washing with shampoo. So maybe if I decide to go bald one day, cleansing cream would be great... ;)

bunnylake
August 15th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I love shampoo gosh darn it! And so does my hair.
I also love Bumble and Bumble but this is just another marketing gimmick.

Gertrude
August 15th, 2014, 01:21 PM
$ 40 ! Wow! That said there's a new line of three " washing conditioners" in Boots ( now owned by Walgreens) here in the UK , sorry forgot the name already, but they're £ 29.99 so at least 40 USD and if you lift the cardboard sleeve hiding the ingredients much the same formula may be had in the cheapest " own brand" conditioners sold for £ 0.99 or £ 1.99.

Not giving up shampoo. Personal choice! But I read this article in the free newspaper about a lady who gave up all shampoo but applies a stronger solution of baking soda and white vinegar than I bleach my ceramic sink with once every two weeks. I will take my chances with gentle detergent instead.

CO washing makes me itch, itch, itch.

spidermom
August 15th, 2014, 03:22 PM
I think he's wrong.

lapushka
August 15th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Cream.. says enough. My hair will hate it, out of all the things in LOC, the C is what it hates the most LOL

It's not the same kind of cream. The cream in LOC refers to a styling cream, so something with hold. The cream in this article is more of a conditioning/washing cream. ;)

lapushka
August 15th, 2014, 05:03 PM
What a way to go. Look like you're being innovative, because you'll have stolen your ideas from the internet, to turn your business around. Huh. Marketing tactics. Tsk. :rolleyes:

bunnylake
August 15th, 2014, 05:40 PM
I don't think it's really stealing an idea, it's just another brand marketing another product to sell to people who don't want to use shampoo. There's nothing wrong with wanting to use a luxury product if you like it and can afford it. I see nothing "wrong" or negative about it, it's just not for me.

Carolyn
August 15th, 2014, 05:50 PM
I'm very skeptical. CO works for me most of the time with certain conditioners. It would not work for me as my only wash method and with only one product. Not happening in my world.

Ingrid
August 15th, 2014, 06:03 PM
No-one will use shampoo in 5 years... because no-one will have any hair left after using shampoo for decades!!! :shudder:

(just kidding, of course)

sourgrl
August 15th, 2014, 08:19 PM
I love bumble and bumble! But I won't be buying this. I like to shampoo. Especially now that I have recently discovered oil shampooing. If I was determined to go co I'd use something much friendlier on my wallet.

Entangled
August 15th, 2014, 09:18 PM
You can pry my shampoo out of my cold, dead fingers.;)
Without shampoo, my scalp is an itchy mess.

cat11
August 15th, 2014, 09:54 PM
I know I'll still use shampoo at least sometimes in years.... right now I alternate every wash between cowash and gentle shampoo and if I dont mix in the shampoo my hair gets buildup. A lot of people need some kind of occasional cleanse...

just some bs to sell expensive cowash

Elven_Escapist
August 15th, 2014, 09:57 PM
I CO but what I use only costs 97 cents:P

Creagan
August 16th, 2014, 02:52 AM
My scalp needs a sulfate shampoo every couple of days because otherwise my dandruff just gets out of control. I've tried switching. Everything else leaves me a greasy mess.

two_wheels
August 16th, 2014, 03:49 AM
***bulk orders pantene ice shine***

lapushka
August 16th, 2014, 03:55 AM
You can pry my shampoo out of my cold, dead fingers.;)
Without shampoo, my scalp is an itchy mess.

Same here. I have seborrheic dermatitis, so I need harsh cleansers. Everyone's mileage varies.

MandyBeth
August 16th, 2014, 03:34 PM
My scalp riots without a pretty strong shampoo. Then if I try CO, I get a huge wad of hair in shower plus normal shed.

Paul Mitchell One is my friend.

aspartame gram
August 16th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Oi, definitely a marketing gimmick. I can't CO, my hair is fine and it just makes it heavy and oily. I also live in a state that has hard water so I'm not sure if that affects anything. I never did CO washing for a long period of time. The oily roots were enough for me to switch to shampoo bars instead.

kysgrl
August 16th, 2014, 10:49 PM
I don't see that happening....