PDA

View Full Version : Question for Wavies and Wurlies

Jennwith4
August 14th, 2014, 06:02 PM
I'm new to my wavy/wurly hair and I was wondering what a good gel or mousse would be for holding my waves in place? Preferably cone free. Tried a new washing and styling method today and my hair clumped nicely but separated and frizzed as it air dried. Especially the very right and left side of the outside length and the back, really any spot that came in contact with anything. Any air drying tips as well for my long locks?

molljo
August 14th, 2014, 06:35 PM
LA Looks and EcoStyler are both very cheap and great alcohol- & silicone-free brands that get lots of love in other wavy/curly areas of the internet. (I'm using the yellow LA Looks and I'd give it a B+). I'm not a big fan of mousse since it seems to promote more tangles than I'd like, while not doing a great job at defining my waves. There's also aloe vera gel and homemade flax seed gel, neither of which I've tried, but they seem to be hit or miss.

As for drying, have you tried plopping?

lilin
August 14th, 2014, 06:39 PM
I've heard good things about flaxseed gel, as something to spray on before "plopping" which doesn't leave any crunchy feeling or weight.

I'm going to give it a try myself and report back when I have. :)

My wurls are getting stronger with my new wash routine, but they still tend to come out with combing or being put up for any substantial length of time.

Madora
August 14th, 2014, 06:54 PM
My hair is slightly wavy and years ago I developed a technique, "Fanning the Strands" that helps me air dry in very short time:
Madora's Unique Air Drying Technique (aka “Fanning the Strands”)

With thanks to Ktani for her suggestion and encouragement!

Hair should be completely detangled and slightly damp before starting. The more water you can express from your strands, the faster the air drying will be.

Part your hair from nape to center of forehead so that it is in two sections. Band off one section with a scrunchie to keep it separate from the other section.

Take a pencil thin size sliver of hair in your hand.
Bring your hand up to your ear and then extend it all the way out (to the side)
Slowly let the strands drop to the floor

Take another pencil thin section and repeat steps 1-3

Repeat with the rest of the hair. Keep repeating the hair fanning motions until the hair is dry.

Once you notice that the hair is becoming drier, you can take larger portions of the hair, but use a wide tooth comb in place of your hand. Go slowly and gently when using the comb.

When hair is dry, band off the section with a scrunchie to keep it out of the way. Repeat the hair fanning procedure with hair in the other section.

When finished, you can leave hair as is, or apply your favorite oil, etc. and style as desired.

The technique was developed by me after years of having to wait forever for my very thick, long hair to dry (using the hair laying on a towel down the back approach). It took forever and I wanted a faster method.

Outside, my hair dries in 20 to 25 minutes. Indoors it takes about 45 minutes, using a portable electric heater (standing about 4 feet away).

The secret to drying your hair quickly is to thoroughly detangle it when you start, and to keep the air circulating through it as you fan the strands.

Mya
August 14th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Nivea Flexible Curls. It's gentle but it does its job and you can see it makes a difference.

lapushka
August 15th, 2014, 03:59 AM
LA Looks and EcoStyler are both very cheap and great alcohol- & silicone-free brands that get lots of love in other wavy/curly areas of the internet.

Seconding Eco Styler & La Looks, but especially Eco Styler. There's also the IC Fantasia gel, but that one contains silicones.

GetMeToWaist
August 15th, 2014, 04:15 AM
Thanks Madora, i'm definitely going to try that out! Too bad i washed my hair yesterday :/

Madora
August 15th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Thanks Madora, i'm definitely going to try that out! Too bad i washed my hair yesterday :/

Glad I could help, GetMeToWaist! Since your hair is far wavier than mine, I suggest you take it extra slow when fanning the strands.

If you should have any trouble with "the poofies", as happens with newly washed hair, you might try a drop or 2 of mineral oil (rubbed on your palms, not put directly into your hair). The mineral oil helps tame the frizzies. Johnson and Johnson makes a good version...but be sure the ingredients are MINERAL OIL and FRAGRANCE only. Any other additives make the MO less effective.

Sunshineliz
August 15th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel, or LA Looks. I use both interchangeably on DD8. Gels and mousse don't work as well on me though, I just condition and then airdry most of the time.