PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Dash Hair

pogo0685
August 13th, 2014, 05:27 PM
I am running the warrior dash on Saturday and I just don't know what to do with my hair. I ran a mountain trail 5k in June and I put my hair in a braided bun with like 6 spin pins. It fell out 4 times before I gave up and let it flop free and get tangled. I seriously was running (well lets be honest more jogging) along and having to redo my bun at the same time. First time it came undone and I got it in time before the braid unraveled, then second time the braid came halfway out, then the braid was not there at all, and then it ened up being a huge mass of knots and sweat, so I left it down and it looked HORRIBLE in my finishing pictures. When I run at home I run on flat roads and a treadmill, I can do anything with my hair and its fine. But out in the wild mountains with hundreds of people around me and it wants to go crazy.

For those of you that don't know Warrior Dash is a 5K and in Colorado we run up a ski slope and then back down, there is mud, and fire :-). I have hip length, fairytailed ends, its naturally wavyish with some spirals, I have never actually had you all type my hair. I would say I have medium thickness. I can English braid and french braid. I can't do crown braids as of yet but I can work on learning in the next day if I have to, but lets not count on that because I have been trying for about 3 years now. So any suggestions?

scorpio17910
August 13th, 2014, 06:30 PM
What I usually use when I run is a nautilus bun held with two spin pins crossed in the center for extra support -- it works wonderfully with my hair (which is now about two inches from classic with ends that are starting to fairy tail). However, nautilus buns are really secure in my hair as is and one will hold all day without anything to help. :shrug:

If that won't work, Elizabethan hair taping is a great alternative! Plus you can do it the night before and not even worry about it for the run!

Good luck!

dezibela
August 13th, 2014, 07:13 PM
I don't run, but I do other bouncy sports and outdoor sports. I put my BSL hair into a tight cheater's french twist held with bent double-pointed knitting needles ($2.75 for a pack of 5 -- I don't care if I lose one) and then jam a baseball hat over the whole thing. It stays really well. If you don't like hats, maybe pull a Buff over it all and secure it near your hairline with some bobby pins or snap barrettes?

Entangled
August 13th, 2014, 08:06 PM
Amish braids! That was suggested to me when I asked about suitable styles for trampoline jumping. They're fantastic, and incredibly secure. I got a lot of good suggestions; you can check them out for yourself. Here's a link:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=124598&highlight=Trampoline

pogo0685
August 13th, 2014, 10:00 PM
Thanks guys! I had forgot about Amish braids! If I oil it enough and put it up I can hopefully put it up the night before and not have to worry. Its a 4-5 hour drive, and I have a farm so its going to be a very early morning for me :-).

Scorpio17910- I have loved my spin pins for so long, but the last 3 months they just wont work at all for me, it started right around the time I decided that they worked so well I would buy a few extra packs of both sizes, figures. A nautilus bun is one of my go-to's when held with a stick but I fear it just wont work for this run. I hope once my hair gets a bit longer my spin pins are going to start working for me again.

dezibela - I have never been able to figure out how to do a french twist. It kills me! Lol. It does sound like it would work very well though to keep my hair up and safe.

Entangled - Thank you! I have worn my hair like this before and I loved them, in fact it was the only time a stranger has ever commented on my hair. Why did I not think of this? Thank you again!

dezibela
August 14th, 2014, 12:59 AM
Just an FYI, here's a short tutorial from 4ypn0tica on the Lazy French Twist. Fast & easy. Enjoy the race!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6cjaX_rUuE&sns=em

Issa
August 14th, 2014, 04:16 AM
When I did my warrior dash, I put mine in two french braids, and then used spin pins to keep them up. It held well- most of our warrior dash was not so much dash as it was schlepping through mud and waiting in (short) lines for obstacles. :)

Entangled
August 14th, 2014, 06:26 AM
You're welcome. I just learned about them, and I'm in love!