PDA

View Full Version : Awkward stage mullet, trim or not?

ogden
August 13th, 2014, 10:06 AM
So I have been trying to figure this out reading things here but have been unable to come to a conclusion. I am growing out my hair from a buzz cut and and solidly in the awkward stage. I figure I've got another 3 months before I'll be able to get all my hair in a ponytail and the middle of my head and a little while longer to tie one at the bottom thanks to a big head. Also the hair at the back of my head seems to grow faster than at the front, which from reading doesn't seem uncommon, but it is really accentuating the mullet thing. I have been thinking of trimming the back up some to make it less mullet-like but wasn't sure if it was best to just stick it out? Seems like most of the threads about guys in this stage say to just let it be, while girls I guess try maintain so style and trim? Just wanted see what everyone else thought. I'll try get a picture if that helps, but my phone is on its deathbed and so i don't have access to a camera at the moment.

lazuliblue
August 13th, 2014, 10:50 AM
I stuck out the mullet stage with just a small trim, then evened it up once it was about shoulder-length. Really it's up to you! Which will you find more annoying: having the mullet, or losing length by trimming it?

browneyedsusan
August 13th, 2014, 10:58 AM
I muscled through without trimming, but I'm a girl. (Half-ups camouflaged the crazy reality.) How's your texture? If you've got some waves, you could slap some gel in the top and make it look deliberate? Depending on where you live, a half-up ponytail might help. Here, in the Midwest, people are conservative, but you could get away with it. Feel free to prowl through my growth album, to see my hair down in all of it's craziness. Only DH and my poor teenagers were subjected to my "down" hair for the first 8 or 10 months. I put it up every time I left the house. :lala:

Chromis
August 13th, 2014, 11:01 AM
I trimmed the nape until the rest caught up to avoid the mullet, then let it all grow as one length. Alas, that stage always looks a bit awkward, but I figured then at least it looked more purposeful!

ogden
August 13th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Which will you find more annoying: having the mullet, or losing length by trimming it?
Presently that's a tough one. So far length has won but the scales are shifting

(Half-ups camouflaged the crazy reality.) Depending on where you live, a half-up ponytail might help. Here, in the Midwest, people are conservative, but you could get away with it.
I haven't bought any hair ties yet since I know my bangs etc. are a ways from a ponytail, but maybe I will and see if I can't manage something like that.

I trimmed the nape until the rest caught up to avoid the mullet, then let it all grow as one length. Alas, that stage always looks a bit awkward, but I figured then at least it looked more purposeful!
Kind of what I have been thinking lately.

skeletonous
August 13th, 2014, 11:20 AM
I agree with trimming the back; I just got another trim in the back myself to keep the mini mullet away while my hair sections even out. If you don't trim it you'd just get a really grown out mullet anyway (think scene girl hair lol). At least from what I imagine. But go with what makes you happy! :o

Korisznivella
August 13th, 2014, 11:34 AM
I would say that you should think about what kind of shape you want your hairs to be when at a more desired length, like do you want your hairs to be an even length when they're longer, or do you want them to grow naturally (faster in the front, slower in the back)?

Once you've decided what you want more, I'd treat your hairs as if you're ushering in the kind of long hair shape you want. So if you want even hairs, trim them each month or every other month, and if you don't mind the front and back being different lengths, then trim every two or three months, but let them be different lengths!

meteor
August 13th, 2014, 12:05 PM
I'd get it minimally trimmed in a way that would make it tolerable to grow out and then use Benign Neglect - the best tool ever for growing it out hair! ;)

KwaveT
August 13th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Me personally I have not had a haircut in 3.5 years. My hair is still different lengths from APL to MBL. It will grow out faster if you leave it alone. I am glad I have waited. It does not look awkward at all just different lengths of long hair. I have grown my bangs out too. Because I waited I can now get most of my hair in a ponytail.

lilin
August 13th, 2014, 01:18 PM
You know, I decided to just wait until the top layers were at the nape of my neck, and cut the mullet tail of doom off all in one go, making sort of an over-grown bob.

I hate feeling like I'm at a stand-still, so that just felt better to me than trimming it once a month and feeling like I wasn't moving anywhere for maybe 4 months. One cut, done. Back to growing!

In the mean time, I made use of little tiny pig tails if I was especially distressed by the tail that day. Looked kinda silly, but not as silly as the tail. Alternatively, I'd pin it up under my waves, sort of like an invisible tails up. Waves will hide a lot!

moontree
August 13th, 2014, 05:10 PM
I muscled through the mullet stage, and only trimmed to get rid of really damaged hair - which gave me even more of a mullet for a while. It's hard and not for everyone - I basically just wore it up for 5-6 months and had to pin less and less hair into the back ponytail. There are *still* pieces that stick out if I don't pin them, but I figure when it's longer it will just look like intentional layering.

PinkyCat
August 13th, 2014, 06:50 PM
I trimmed. I'm finally at a place where I feel I can let it go now. Mullet just wasn't an option for me. A curlet? Not on this gal LOL!

ogden
August 15th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the opinions. I think I am going to have some trimmed off the back by a friend. Hopefully it will just make it look a little less mullet like and more shaggy which I am ok with. I have thought about just getting some pins and pinning it back in a ponytail, but for whatever reason I am a bit unsure of that look on me for now.

hannabiss
August 15th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Shaved bald July of last year. Haven't trimmed the ends. I just stuck a bandana on my head most the time and called it a day. My ends are now past shoulders my top layers are just past ear. I don't think I'll trim till July 2015.

cdonald2
August 15th, 2014, 01:34 PM

I did the same thing, im just above shoulder now,for a while it made growing my hair out seem like it is taking alot longer to grow, but I am happy with the outcome, it looks great and is mostly all one length. I think i may be able to let it go on it's own now. It is all what is up to you and what youre comfortable with. I personally couldnt do the mullet stage.

terryn
August 15th, 2014, 08:41 PM
I'm growing out a very asymmetrical pixie-type-thing. That whole long on top and one side and shaved on the other look. I have accepted that it is just going to be awkward for a long time. For me, I decided the best thing would be to get it trimmed every 6 months or so. It seemed like a compromise to me, sort of like power through for as long as possible and then shape it up a little. My next trim will be in 2 months and I intend to just get the back/bottom/tail cut off into a sort of a-line bob and then let it go. If it doesn't mullet after that, I might go a year without trimming. I think it is different for everyone -- what is your tolerance for looking shabby, how professional do you need to look day to day, etc. Good luck!