PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Split Ends Away?

kimichan
August 13th, 2014, 05:46 AM
Sorry if this has already been asked, but I just got a trim less than a week ago and am already noticing a few split ends! :( I've been cutting out heat damage for the most part and I've been putting morrocanoil on the ends.

Any tips? I used to be pretty careless with my hair but I'm trying to not repeat the damage..

Federica
August 13th, 2014, 05:54 AM
Did you trimmed your own hair or did you go to a salon?
I think the problem might be that scissors weren't sharp enough, and they broke the ends instead of cutting clean.

Johannah
August 13th, 2014, 06:05 AM
Two options IMO: 1. those scissors weren't sharp like Federica said or 2. you got A LOT of damage and you didn't cut enough.

Make sure you DO NOT use razors on your hair or scissors that aren't sharp. If you cut it yourself, you can easily find some hair scissors on the internet that doesn't cost so much money. Make sure you only use them for your hair, and not for anything else. Try another trim. You need to get rid of those splits anyway. If you notice your hair splits again after a week, and your hair was cut as it should, go for a bigger trim. It's hard, but better get rid of the damage before it gets worse. That way you're able to have a fresh start.

kimichan
August 13th, 2014, 06:10 AM
I went to a salon, not game enough to cut my own hair. Thanks for the advice though! Really hoped it wouldn't come to another trim though hah...

Do any of you have any advice for preventing them coming back? I'm a bit worried about getting a big trim and still damaging my hair.

Firefox7275
August 13th, 2014, 06:18 AM
Welcome! It's well worth reading the first few and last few pages of many of the long running threads, you will get a good feel for what the regulars do (and do not do) to minimise splits and breakage. The 'advanced search' function is also useful, search 'thread titles only' for splits or split ends.

If you have existing heat damage your ends may simply be too fried to be salvageable, how much did you have cut off? What do you mean by "for the most part"? Do you know your hair properties (coarseness, porosity, elasticity)?

Moroccanoil is laden with silicones. These are useful for reducing tangling and conferring faux shine, but they generally do not penetrate nor strengthen hair. Unfortunately they can make us believe our hair is healthier than it really is. Beneficial ingredients for damaged hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol.

Anje
August 13th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Wearing my hair up or braided so it doesn't tangle or dry out is probably my single biggest split end reducer. Detangling slowly and not ripping through snags is another.

Not continuing to damage your hair with heat will be good to prevent future splits, but past heat damage sticks around for a while. You'll probably have to go heat-free for several weeks before you start to notice a difference, and it might be a long time before that damage is gone. Ditto with dye/bleach damage.

kimichan
August 13th, 2014, 05:54 PM
I got probably two inches off but I'm not sure (metric sorry). My hairdresser said it was enough though. I said for the most part because I spent a decent amount of time sitting near a heater for warmth when I'm having a lazy day and although I keep my hair away from it it could be getting some of that heat. I'm also not good at doing updos or confident with how I look with them done but I'll try to start.

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely flick through for some more info and look into other oils and things. I had no idea everything had said morrocanoil was amazing for hair.

The ends have very few bits that have been bleached (I went bright red 3 years ago) so I'll get the remaining bits trimmed off soon.

Creagan
August 13th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Putting your hair up at night or braiding it can help a lot. That probably helped me the most.