PDA

View Full Version : Would it be OK to condition your hair everyday?

GetMeToWaist
August 12th, 2014, 01:35 PM
I was wondering if it would be all right to rinse my hair in the shower and condition it every day, and use shampoo twice a week. I just thought that since conditioning and moisture is good for hair, wouldn't it be good to do it everyday?

Nadine <3
August 12th, 2014, 02:32 PM
If your hair likes it, go for it. Personally, I don't want my hair wet everyday just because I find it annoying when it's wet.

Firefox7275
August 12th, 2014, 03:04 PM
I was wondering if it would be all right to rinse my hair in the shower and condition it every day, and use shampoo twice a week. I just thought that since conditioning and moisture is good for hair, wouldn't it be good to do it everyday?

Is moisture (= water) always beneficial for hair? Wet hair is weak hair because some of the structural bonds are temporarily broken. Plus wetting down and drying out can flush out structural proteins and lipids (fats/ oils), and swelling the cuticle repeatedly can 'fatigue' it. These effects will be more pronounced in those with longer hair because it has been subjected to frequent minor damage for more months/ years.

The right amount of conditioning should last you a good few days, if it is not you may need to condition more effectively (longer time, application of some heat, different ingredients, leave on as well as rinse off, or way more leave on conditioner). Having said that as a wavy-curly you may need to wash or wet down and condition more often than some in order to detangle safely so there may be a trade off.

lapushka
August 12th, 2014, 03:24 PM
If you can go with two washes a week and you don't need more, then I see no reason why you should especially wet it *daily* just to slather conditioner on, unless it's to revive a curl pattern or some such.

Madora
August 12th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Once a week should suffice. If you condition every day, then the buildup just builds up faster. Of course, if you need to use conditioner to help with detangling issues, then try and limit your washing to twice a week, and use diluted conditioner. Too much washing will strip your hair of its natural oil..unless you put something back in it to restore what was lost.

queenovnight
August 12th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Stick with whatever works for ya. But yeah, conditioning daily wouldn't hurt. - A lot of curly girls condition daily to prevent tangles. I try to wash 1-2 a week, but I admit.. My hair feels better when I co-wash daily (I only clarify -shampoo- once a month and I use a co-free conditioner)

JustPam
August 12th, 2014, 04:21 PM
I just go with a leave-in every day rather than wetting and conditioning.

jackie_rapunzel
August 12th, 2014, 06:38 PM
I'm glad y'all posted this because just this evening I decided to condition my hair on the non-washing days. I revoke that decision now.

Haha.

I'm still finding I NEED to wet my hair once a day. I feel like my scalp just gets WAY to oily without rinsing it out. Thoughts/advice? Thanks

meteor
August 12th, 2014, 06:49 PM
I generally wouldn't recommend washing hair every day (even if it's just CO-wash) for the reasons well described by Firefox.

However, if you want to apply some leave-in oil or conditioner, straight or diluted with water, to slightly misted/damp hair every night - I think it's pretty good practice, especially for curlies and people who battle perpetual dryness. I think daily conditioning is pretty common practice among some curlies.
But do beware of build-up and lint/dust attraction and hygral fatigue.

ravenheather
August 12th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Just wanted to point out that cinnamonhair co's every day. She has beautiful knee length hair.

Wosie
August 13th, 2014, 04:06 AM
I personally don't think I could do this every day, as my hair doesn't like to get wet too often... It gets very dry (I guess my hair must be pretty porous). But it might work swell for you, I know that some heads of hair can be washed every day (with various methods) and still have a glorious mane. *looks a tad jealous :p*

schnibbles
August 13th, 2014, 07:32 AM
I wish I could wet/condition my hair every day. But then my hair would never be dry...and I could never wear any of my wood toys. It usually takes a full day to dry after washing. I would say if your hair dries fast and if it works for you, there essentially wouldn't be anything wrong with it.
Sounds like a lot of work to me, though, lol :rolling: (I guess I'm lazy)

jacqueline101
August 15th, 2014, 12:14 PM
I'd use a leave in if you're going to daily condition. I use a conditioner mix misted on my hair every other day. I don't mist very much on my hair. 4 ounces last me 3 plus weeks. When I used a leave in every other day I used very small amount on my ends in the winter time. I had bsl hair used pea sized amount.

ravenreed
August 15th, 2014, 09:29 PM
During the hot part of the year, I CO everyday without any issue. The rest of the year is every other day.

ErinLeigh
August 16th, 2014, 03:29 AM
My train of thought is if i am going to wet it, I may as well condition it.
I stretch if I want to give hair a break from water itself..but if I need to wet it to style or remove oil there is no way I am doing that without conditioner as my hair is too fragile wet without lubrication and softness. I imagine it varies for all but that is my 2 cents.

Bambi
August 17th, 2014, 04:57 AM
I spritz some water on to my ends and then massage a tiny bit of conditioner before braiding every other night. I'm a wurly and this keeps my ends happy, I wash my hair completely with 8 days between washes.

Dreams_in_Pink
August 18th, 2014, 02:20 AM
Unless your hair's low on protein, i don't see why you cannot condition it every day. I use a hair mask instead of conditioner every other day and have no problems. Just make sure you rinse it out well, these stuff work better when rinsed out (which is interesting).