PDA

View Full Version : Using a pencil as a stick

sarahthegemini
August 12th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Hey guys, sorry for the multiple threads recently, im trying to find the best way of securing my hair! Spin pins rarely hold, elastics break my hair, beak clips (with teeth) are okay but sometimes pull or strands get caught in the hinge. I've tried 2 pronged stick type things that were very smooth and shiny that didn't hold - maybe too slippery for my hair? Anyway I'm tempted to try using a pencil! I figured it might have more grip. My hair is insanely slippy. The only bun I've mastered is a cinnabun but I want to try others in conjunction with the pencil stick. Any tricks I should know of to help me? Bun types/tension/position etc? I'm a total novice!

My hair is baby fine and just past shoulder and as I said, very slippy!

meteor
August 12th, 2014, 11:08 AM
At around shoulder-length, the things I'd recommend the most are claw-clips / jaw-clips. They are perfect for shorter length, they are hair-friendly and they really hold very well even slippery hair. I'd recommend peacock twists at this length.

I'm not surprised forks didn't work for you yet... I think they require much longer hair... and the same applies to pencils, I'm afraid. :( I just can't see a pencil holding shoulder-length hair, because I can't imagine what pencil bun would work... But there is certainly no harm in trying!

mouse2cat
August 12th, 2014, 11:15 AM
There is nothing wrong about using a pencil. I find that they can snag hair if the sharpened end isn't smooth enough. Because you are dealing with relatively shorter hair my preferred style was the french braid. Which you can tuck the tail back into itself and secure with a stick to get it off your neck.

I second the useful claw clip comment. I would use a medium size clip and secure it on the top, rather than trying to use the clip to bite all the hair...

mouse2cat
August 12th, 2014, 11:21 AM
LOL I forgot that my profile pic features a bic pen as hair stick. I have since upgraded to a small but very functional collection of real hair toys. I prefer pens over pencils because they don't snag and they don't snap easily.

Seriously try braids. You could probably do something with double braids and a stick. More braids is going to give you a better ratio of length to width for wrapping things. and if you get the tiny clear bands to hold them I bed they wouldn't slip out so quickly.

Merlin
August 12th, 2014, 11:39 AM
A approach I have seen at least one female teacher take..

Johannah
August 12th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Just make sure the pencil is smooth... Otherwise, auwtch! But if it holds, why not?

Have you tried a ketylo stick already? Hair sticks didn't work for me when my hair was APL but a ketylo stick did wonders because of its shape.

sarahthegemini
August 12th, 2014, 11:48 AM
At around shoulder-length, the things I'd recommend the most are claw-clips / jaw-clips. They are perfect for shorter length, they are hair-friendly and they really hold very well even slippery hair. I'd recommend peacock twists at this length.

I'm not surprised forks didn't work for you yet... I think they require much longer hair... and the same applies to pencils, I'm afraid. :( I just can't see a pencil holding shoulder-length hair, because I can't imagine what pencil bun would work... But there is certainly no harm in trying!

That's a little disappointing, hmm. Claw clips do hold but I find myself getting bored of them. Maybe I just need to stick with them for a while. At least they're quick to use!

There is nothing wrong about using a pencil. I find that they can snag hair if the sharpened end isn't smooth enough. Because you are dealing with relatively shorter hair my preferred style was the french braid. Which you can tuck the tail back into itself and secure with a stick to get it off your neck.

I second the useful claw clip comment. I would use a medium size clip and secure it on the top, rather than trying to use the clip to bite all the hair...

I still haven't mastered the french braid unfortunately. I did recently buy 3 pretty claw clips though :)

LOL I forgot that my profile pic features a bic pen as hair stick. I have since upgraded to a small but very functional collection of real hair toys. I prefer pens over pencils because they don't snag and they don't snap easily.

Seriously try braids. You could probably do something with double braids and a stick. More braids is going to give you a better ratio of length to width for wrapping things. and if you get the tiny clear bands to hold them I bed they wouldn't slip out so quickly.

My issue with braids is that using a band or elastic to tie it off causes breakage on me - my hair is ridiculously fragile.

Erm...okay?

sarahthegemini
August 12th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Just make sure the pencil is smooth... Otherwise, auwtch! But if it holds, why not?

Have you tried a ketylo stick already? Hair sticks didn't work for me when my hair was APL but a ketylo stick did wonders because of its shape.

I don't know what a ketylo is but I'm gonna look right now!

mouse2cat
August 12th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Well in that case, sticks are going to be nicer to your hair than elastics. although they can be tricky at shorter lengths. I would recommend a ketylo as well but their website is down!

French braiding is totally worth is and it's easier to do by feel than you think...

kaydana
August 12th, 2014, 11:56 AM
If you'd like to try a proper hair stick, I've got a short squiggly one that I made that doesn't get any use. The squiggle makes it more secure than straight sticks, so if anything's a match for your slippery hair, that will be. Just PM me your address if you'd like it.

lazuliblue
August 12th, 2014, 12:01 PM
I have to 'mess' my hair up before I can use a stick...just to give it a bit of texture. Nothing drastic or damaging!

meteor
August 12th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Before you get yourself a Ketylo (which can be expensive), try with a pencil or chopstick first... :) And frankly, if hair forks didn't work, then I doubt that a hair stick can.
Also, an important question to consider here: is your shoulder-length hair already bunnable?
(Not to discourage anyone, but I know I'm not the only one who couldn't even begin to bun before BSL+.)

What kinds of updos do you do? If it's French twists or peacock twists, then a stick simply won't hold it. :( Claw clips / jaw clips of different sizes would really be my best bet.

RapunzelKat
August 12th, 2014, 12:10 PM
I also have super-slippery hair, and I have never been able to get a cinnamon bun to hold with just sticks. Could you possibly do a lazy wrap bun (AKA the pencil bun :rolling:) with just one or two fingers? A pencil/pen/Ketlyo might hold that a lot easier than a cinnamon bun. :)

Also, have you tried those itty bitty silicone hair ties for the ends of braids? I find them quite hair-friendly. :) Then if you do master the French braid (they do take loads of practice!) you'd have a good way to secure it.

sarahthegemini
August 12th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Well in that case, sticks are going to be nicer to your hair than elastics. although they can be tricky at shorter lengths. I would recommend a ketylo as well but their website is down!

French braiding is totally worth is and it's easier to do by feel than you think...

I'll keep checking back on the ketylo website. My boyfriend has already said he could try braiding my hair so maybe he can teach me :)

If you'd like to try a proper hair stick, I've got a short squiggly one that I made that doesn't get any use. The squiggle makes it more secure than straight sticks, so if anything's a match for your slippery hair, that will be. Just PM me your address if you'd like it.

That would be so, so wonderful. I shall PM you in just a minute :D

I have to 'mess' my hair up before I can use a stick...just to give it a bit of texture. Nothing drastic or damaging!

I.don't comb my hair or anything to try and maintain some texture but just touching my hair makes it feel buttery smooth! So.frustrating! It's great for wearing down but it's such a hindrance otherwise.

eadwine
August 12th, 2014, 12:12 PM
There are SO much fun claw clips too. I have bought a bundle of this seller: http://stores.ebay.com/Global-Source-Mall

just search for claw there. I got me the smalls, you can wear more than one and mix them up :D

RapunzelKat
August 12th, 2014, 12:19 PM

Erm...okay?

I think Merlin meant she's seen a female teacher do the pencil bun thingy. :D

Laurenji
August 12th, 2014, 12:30 PM
I still can't really get single sticks to hold solidly in my hair, and I DEFINITELY couldn't at shoulder. Also, cinnabuns are (for me) not that great for using sticks in, because my hair is layered at the end and very straight, so it likes to spring out and come undone unless I have several points of hold. I have found sticks to work okay in a disc bun, but that's about it. I really only use them if I'm desperate to get my hair out of my face and don't have anything else handy.

My staples for holding my hair up since I started growing are the u-shaped hair pins, the 3" long kind. I used the regular, more flexible kind for years until I recently got some Amish pins which are amazing. If I put in a cinnabun and use 3 or 4 of the 3" hairpins, it will stay all day.

Anabell
August 12th, 2014, 12:41 PM
This might work for you:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtnYn1BHyEY
Her hair is a bit longer than apl and with layers. The third one looks the most stable one.

Katyusha
August 12th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Can you do a disc bun? It is really simple and if a stick is not holding it you can use claw clips. I also got another fun idea for you! It's called magic hair comb or something along those lines. It looks like this: http://usih.merchantrunglobal.com/ImageHosting/ViewImage.aspx?GlobalID=1004&MerchantID=14149&ImageID=15625&DisplaySize=-1&ListingID=32469

This is my claw clip disc bun. I got these from Majorane. And I think these look awesome and super comfortable!

http://i.imgur.com/ZBuiFDtl.jpg

Uh yes and I forgot a ficcarre and flexi8. You could try those too.

Beezle
August 12th, 2014, 01:18 PM
A peacock twist held by two small claw clips interlinked is a great way to hold up difficult hair. This was the only thing I could do for months and I think we have similar hair.

queenovnight
August 12th, 2014, 01:57 PM
I have the slippery issue when my hair is blown out. I can never get it to hold, and always end up braid waving to give my hair more texture. - When my hair is curly, hair sticks hold all day. I think the curlier the hair, the better the grip. - So try braid waving before using sticks. Also I don't see why a pencil would hurt. As others have said, could cause snagging though.

woodswanderer
August 12th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I hate to use a pencil even in an emergency because I feel like the sharpened end isn't very smooth and it snags my hair. If I had shoulder length hair, I would enjoy the days when I could get all my hair into a peacock twist with a single claw clip.

hippie girl
August 12th, 2014, 02:50 PM
As far as stuff around the house goes for holding up hair, I'd go for a skinny watercolor brush instead of a pencil. (well, the house/studio of an artist that is.)

The painted handles are smooth and well sealed. The end has no splinters or rough edges like a sharpened pencil will. And, they look nice. :)

I wore brushes for years, all through college and after. I have a couple of sticks now but still reach for brushes from time to time.

Shibe
August 12th, 2014, 06:44 PM
I use a very thin crochet hook!

polishrose
August 12th, 2014, 08:01 PM
I don't even understand how a stick is meant to work ?:confused:

meteor
August 12th, 2014, 08:11 PM
I don't even understand how a stick is meant to work ?:confused:

Like this :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWf4ElyLAAE

PrincessBob
August 12th, 2014, 08:17 PM
That's a fantastic example. TorrinPaige is my go-to gal for tutorials.

SunlightShines
August 12th, 2014, 08:31 PM
If you're looking for something with a little bit of a grab, try a cheap chopstick like the ones you get with take-out chinese food. They work for me really well.

sourgrl
August 12th, 2014, 08:36 PM
I second the disc bun. Despite her length in the video, it was the first LHC bun I could do at shorter lengths http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5sSEBy7HQ

RainbowBowser
August 13th, 2014, 12:16 AM
Can you do a disc bun? It is really simple and if a stick is not holding it you can use claw clips. I also got another fun idea for you! It's called magic hair comb or something along those lines. It looks like this: http://usih.merchantrunglobal.com/ImageHosting/ViewImage.aspx?GlobalID=1004&MerchantID=14149&ImageID=15625&DisplaySize=-1&ListingID=32469

This is my claw clip disc bun. I got these from Majorane. And I think these look awesome and super comfortable!

http://i.imgur.com/ZBuiFDtl.jpg

Uh yes and I forgot a ficcarre and flexi8. You could try those too.

I second this, disc buns do not budge!
EDIT: I third this apparently :P

sarahthegemini
August 14th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Thank you all for the tips and ideas guys
I will definitely try out a disc bun. I really like torrinpaige's channel, she makes buns look so simple. Her tutorials are really easy to follow.

Eta: I also.really like the chop stick idea!

Lirona
August 14th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Thank you all for the tips and ideas guys
I will definitely try out a disc bun. I really like torrinpaige's channel, she makes buns look so simple. Her tutorials are really easy to follow.

Eta: I also.really like the chop stick idea!

Chopsticks were the first sticks I tried in my hair, and I still wear them regularly! :thumbsup: Look for "children's" chopsticks if you can find them... they are a good 2 to 3 inches shorter!

Merlin
August 15th, 2014, 12:35 AM
I think Merlin meant she's seen a female teacher do the pencil bun thingy. :D

Almost exactly right...apart from the pronoun :-)

Catatafish
August 18th, 2014, 10:59 AM
What length could you do the disc bun at?

polishrose
August 18th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Thank you for the YouTube clip on how the sticks work. So simple. It's hard to believe it doesn't damage hair and holds a bun in place. I've only ever used the u shape pins to make a bun in my hair.