PDA

View Full Version : How do you remember what you have?

tetisheri72
August 12th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Especially those of you with huge hair toy collections? How do you remember all the various toys you have, and what maker they are, what wood they are, what Etsy link belongs to them and all? I just want to be able to remember what I have as my collection grows longer over the next how ever long.

islandboo
August 12th, 2014, 09:00 AM
I use an Excel spreadsheet. I actually lost a great deal of that information with a poorly timed drive failure so I don't know the maker, wood type, etc for some of my hairtoys and it drives me nuts. Remember to backup your backup :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have 4 pages: Clips, Forks, Sticks, and Other and they are each organized alphabetically by maker.

Madora
August 12th, 2014, 09:00 AM
I wouldn't call my toy collection huge by any stretch, but if you want to keep a record, write it down. Be as precise as possible. Color, maker, design, type, price, where and when purchased. Then put the list where it will be safe.

tetisheri72
August 12th, 2014, 09:23 AM
I use an Excel spreadsheet. I actually lost a great deal of that information with a poorly timed drive failure so I don't know the maker, wood type, etc for some of my hairtoys and it drives me nuts. Remember to backup your backup :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have 4 pages: Clips, Forks, Sticks, and Other and they are each organized alphabetically by maker.

Do you add pix to it too? Does Excel let you do that? And you sound very organized. I am trying to be more organized. ADHD brain doesn't always help. I get halfway through trying to organized, and then Oh, Shiny!

And I have almost everything backed up to Dropbox. All my pix are there, as well as my documents. I write, and I backup in as may places as possible.

I wouldn't call my toy collection huge by any stretch, but if you want to keep a record, write it down. Be as precise as possible. Color, maker, design, type, price, where and when purchased. Then put the list where it will be safe.

Safe is always the fun thing around here. The best safe place for me is on my computer. If I write anything by hand, I have to give it to my husband. Otherwise it disappears.

Cania
August 12th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Law school. Now I can never forget any useless information given to me, but my head will explode sooner rather than later. I believe med school will do the same.

More seriously, I adore every toy I own which helps me remember. I've never needed to write it down. As for etsy links, they are all saved to your profile ^_^

lapushka
August 12th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Especially those of you with huge hair toy collections? How do you remember all the various toys you have, and what maker they are, what wood they are, what Etsy link belongs to them and all? I just want to be able to remember what I have as my collection grows longer over the next how ever long.

You have your Etsy history from your previous purchases, for one. And the rest, don't overbuy, and put it where you can see it, and where you can easily get to it so it all gets used.

tetisheri72
August 12th, 2014, 09:53 AM
You have your Etsy history from your previous purchases, for one. And the rest, don't overbuy, and put it where you can see it, and where you can easily get to it so it all gets used.

I make sure that everything gets used regularly. Well, except for the copper things my mother gave me and I don't like. I tell her to buy me hair toys, send her links to stores I like, with examples of sticks or forks I like, and she decides that she doesn't like any of them and gets me things she likes. Except I don't care for them much. She gave me these for Christmas, so I have to at least wear them around her a couple of times before I do anything with them. I might actually mod them so that I like them better.

Anyhow, that digressed, didn't it? Right now most of what I have has come from the Swap Board. Those are the things that I'm more worried about keeping track of.

StellaKatherine
August 12th, 2014, 10:15 AM
I have only few toys so far. But I think I shall write down some information with photos now when I still remember ! :D

meteor
August 12th, 2014, 10:32 AM
I doubt that I'll ever have so many hair toys that I'll need to write them down. :) All my hair tools are counted on the fingers of my hands and I happily wear them all the time anyway.

But... I am DEEPLY impressed by how super-organized the LHC-ers with extensive collections are! :thud:
I didn't realize that many people over at the Swap section have extensive collections. They remember so quickly all the details on the maker/size/material/previous owner/etc of a specific toy, never getting confused, that I would assume any human being would need an inventory count, because those are very large, super-valuable collections - it's really, really impressive! :thumbsup:

tetisheri72
August 12th, 2014, 11:03 AM
I doubt that I'll ever have so many hair toys that I'll need to write them down. :) All my hair tools are counted on the fingers of my hands and I happily wear them all the time anyway.

But... I am DEEPLY impressed by how super-organized the LHC-ers with extensive collections are! :thud:
I didn't realize that many people over at the Swap section have extensive collections. They remember so quickly all the details on the maker/size/material/previous owner/etc of a specific toy, never getting confused, that I would assume any human being would need an inventory count, because those are very large, super-valuable collections - it's really, really impressive! :thumbsup:

Same here. I've looked at some of the sales on the Swap Board, and they are selling off more than what I have in my entire collection. It's pretty impressive. Especially when it's a bunch of TTs and Ficcares that are being sold.

islandboo
August 12th, 2014, 11:03 AM
I have a wretched memory so I do get confused about some of my toys, especially swap items. In general if I bought it directly from the maker I know who it came from but I do forget style name - like with 60th street since their various 3 prongs can look similar. Also, knowing the names of the various acrylics other than "purple" LOL. As far as etsy keeping your purchases, I have a number of items that I can't find in my purchase history. I don't know if that is because they were customs that were added onto other orders or what (again, wretched memory). I do know that since etsy has started messing around with format changes I frequently get an error where it tells me it is unable to retrieve the details for a given order. And while I should have had an offsite/cloud backup in my defense my data loss involved the failure of my backup drive during the few days in which I was upgrading to a new computer - what were the odds I would lose my backup during that brief window while my primary was gone? Sigh....

As far as using them, I had a two year break from hair toys while I struggled with not cutting my hair and managed to succeed only by utterly ignoring it. That meant a single braid or U pins, no toys. All my precious toys were put away in storage until I was able to deal with my hair again :shrug:

Hele
August 12th, 2014, 11:32 AM
i think i might count as someone with an extensive collection...just last week i was going through everything that i have, seeing what i've outgrown for my latest swap board post. I have a lot less than i used to but i still counted 9 Timberstones, 5 Elymwolds, 8 Jeters, etc etc etc. I've never really had any problems keeping track of things, i think if you really love something it's easier to remember. I've never had a "holy crap, where'd this come from?!" moment when i open a drawer or anything. I do make a note of the etsy link of swap board purchases, i'm not the most organized sort but i have a piece of paper i jot the transaction number on that i keep with all my hair items. I've never had a problem finding my etsy purchase links (i admit it can take some scrolling to find older purchases though), and there's a ton of pages on there, believe me! My buying is slowing down now that i have a fairly good idea what will work for me, plus i'm more careful about what i buy because the larger the hairtoy the harder it is for me to sell/trade it. For example with my last sale everything sold fast except for the two biggest items, they're still sitting there. Knowing that makes me pause and consider before i buy things now!

tetisheri72
August 12th, 2014, 11:51 AM
I have a wretched memory so I do get confused about some of my toys, especially swap items. In general if I bought it directly from the maker I know who it came from but I do forget style name - like with 60th street since their various 3 prongs can look similar. Also, knowing the names of the various acrylics other than "purple" LOL. As far as etsy keeping your purchases, I have a number of items that I can't find in my purchase history. I don't know if that is because they were customs that were added onto other orders or what (again, wretched memory). I do know that since etsy has started messing around with format changes I frequently get an error where it tells me it is unable to retrieve the details for a given order. And while I should have had an offsite/cloud backup in my defense my data loss involved the failure of my backup drive during the few days in which I was upgrading to a new computer - what were the odds I would lose my backup during that brief window while my primary was gone? Sigh....

As far as using them, I had a two year break from hair toys while I struggled with not cutting my hair and managed to succeed only by utterly ignoring it. That meant a single braid or U pins, no toys. All my precious toys were put away in storage until I was able to deal with my hair again :shrug:

I learned my lesson about backups a few years ago when my computer crashed and I lost everything. I want to get an external drive too, I just haven't gotten there yet.

My memory is not of the best variety either. Ask me something that happened in high school and I'm all good. Ask me if I ate breakfast this morning, and I couldn't tell you. I blame my meds. Or something. I probably forgot what I want to blame.

i think i might count as someone with an extensive collection...just last week i was going through everything that i have, seeing what i've outgrown for my latest swap board post. I have a lot less than i used to but i still counted 9 Timberstones, 5 Elymwolds, 8 Jeters, etc etc etc. I've never really had any problems keeping track of things, i think if you really love something it's easier to remember. I've never had a "holy crap, where'd this come from?!" moment when i open a drawer or anything. I do make a note of the etsy link of swap board purchases, i'm not the most organized sort but i have a piece of paper i jot the transaction number on that i keep with all my hair items. I've never had a problem finding my etsy purchase links (i admit it can take some scrolling to find older purchases though), and there's a ton of pages on there, believe me! My buying is slowing down now that i have a fairly good idea what will work for me, plus i'm more careful about what i buy because the larger the hairtoy the harder it is for me to sell/trade it. For example with my last sale everything sold fast except for the two biggest items, they're still sitting there. Knowing that makes me pause and consider before i buy things now!

I haven't had a holy crap moment, but I might at some point. Honestly, it happens with me sometimes. But I am worried about remembering style names, woods, and colors. I can always say yeah, it's an XYZ stick, but don't ask me the color or style name.

Kelli Kat
August 12th, 2014, 12:05 PM
I also use an Excel spreadsheet.

Chromis
August 12th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Same here. I've looked at some of the sales on the Swap Board, and they are selling off more than what I have in my entire collection. It's pretty impressive. Especially when it's a bunch of TTs and Ficcares that are being sold.

Well keep in mind many of us with larger collections have been at this for a while! Ficcares were not as expensive when I first started coming to LHC and neither were Timberstone Turnings for that matter. (The current TTs are of course also much more ornate than his original designs were!) Same with many other makers and I know I managed to get a few off the swap board that are now considered super-precious and I wasn't even their second owner in several cases. It's actually pretty fun watching some of them as they re-appear! This is also why some of us look like we have encyclopedic knowledge too :lol: Some toys are lovely but need just the right owner or we outgrow them and re-swap. As my hair grew, many toys no longer worked as well and I have done a couple of large-ish sale postings myself. I've also found that certain colours are reached for more and that I don't wear anything with silver very much.

I don't have nearly as large a collection as some do since I keep mine fairly curated, but they do have a way of sneaking up on you. The ones I have trouble keeping track of are things that were made for me as part of swaps and those tend to be the ones I feel more guilty over if they don't work! I really should offer some of those up though, they are really too pretty to be sitting around! I have a wide short vase that I keep sticks and forks in. If it gets too full, it's time to cull. If I ever have it too full of things I absolutely love and cannot part with, then I'd have to get a second, but I am pretty picky (then again TT's take up more room than my others and so would more VP if she started crafting again) :lol:

sourgrl
August 12th, 2014, 12:34 PM
I don't have a very large collection. I buy my hair toys based on my wardrobe because I like them to coordinate. I have about 3 in any particular color: one for dry hair days (wooden TTs), one for damp hair days (ficcares) and one for rainy days (resins and acrylics). Pretty boring so it's easy to keep track of ;). I have a special etsy list in my etsy account to keep track of any item I purchase from the swap board that the seller provided the original etsy link to.

neko_kawaii
August 12th, 2014, 12:41 PM
I really need to start the Excel spreadsheet. Right now I have my Etsy purchase history, bookmarks of Etsy links for swap board purchases, the notes that came with gift swaps, and blog entries but it would be nice to have it all in once place.

Seeshami
August 12th, 2014, 01:39 PM
I am lucky enough to have a memory that stores the most useless crap ever. What I paid I would have to look through stuff but there are archives. I also don't own anything worth remembering what it cost and the majority of my high priced toys I hate so their value is ZERO to me. Like a GTS fork and a TT resin that I have and spent more time glaring at or neglecting then I did wearing. I use the TT to mix henna..... I feel like it should be wrong but it's pretty much good for stirring and that's about it, I am sure TT lovers every where will be happy when I finally post the EVERYTHING MUST GO! Thread and send it off to be some one else's useless stir stick.

meteor
August 12th, 2014, 03:08 PM
:lol: LOL, Seeshami, you are too funny! But I'm guessing your TT stick will be even more valuable after the "strengthening" or "conditioning" infusion of henna :lol:
You know, your story reminded me of those oil-infused combs that sell at higher prices because the resin was oil-infused in the processing. :lol:

But from pictures I've seen, GTS and TT toys are so beautiful, that I can totally see why people say that they often don't wear them for fear of damaging them - they are like pieces of art rather than practical work-horses.

lapushka
August 12th, 2014, 03:17 PM
I make sure that everything gets used regularly. Well, except for the copper things my mother gave me and I don't like. I tell her to buy me hair toys, send her links to stores I like, with examples of sticks or forks I like, and she decides that she doesn't like any of them and gets me things she likes. Except I don't care for them much. She gave me these for Christmas, so I have to at least wear them around her a couple of times before I do anything with them. I might actually mod them so that I like them better.

Anyhow, that digressed, didn't it? Right now most of what I have has come from the Swap Board. Those are the things that I'm more worried about keeping track of.

Yeah, if it's from the swap board (I have a few Ficcares and other things from there as well), then I guess it's hard to keep track of. Hadn't thought of that. I was thinking Etsy history in the sense that you might potentially sell things you didn't like.

Seeshami
August 12th, 2014, 03:35 PM
:lol: LOL, Seeshami, you are too funny! But I'm guessing your TT stick will be even more valuable after the "strengthening" or "conditioning" infusion of henna :lol:
You know, your story reminded me of those oil-infused combs that sell at higher prices because the resin was oil-infused in the processing. :lol:

But from pictures I've seen, GTS and TT toys are so beautiful, that I can totally see why people say that they often don't wear them for fear of damaging them - they are like pieces of art rather than practical work-horses.

They just don't work for my hair like everything else I own, short they are all so short.... And I just don't want to put the effort in to a destash so I have been waiting and it's gotten to the point everything needs to go. I wear them all like they are acrylics or easily replaced.

sourgrl
August 12th, 2014, 03:43 PM
As a TT resin addict I find your abuse just appalling, Seeshami. ;)

*stalkingswapboard*

AspenSong
August 12th, 2014, 03:46 PM
I do NOT have a huge-ity huge collection of toys, so it's pretty easy for me! lol. I do have more than I used to have but it's all super easy for me to remember because I really only try to usually trade for or buy things that I really love and that speak to me, and if I get them and don't love them...I find them a new home. So my "collection" is pretty small comparatively to many others and therefore easy to keep track of.

Seeshami
August 12th, 2014, 03:56 PM
I do NOT have a huge-ity huge collection of toys, so it's pretty easy for me! lol. I do have more than I used to have but it's all super easy for me to remember because I really only try to usually trade for or buy things that I really love and that speak to me, and if I get them and don't love them...I find them a new home. So my "collection" is pretty small comparatively to many others and therefore easy to keep track of.

Until you take the pick of all my get this out of my hair toy storage crap. You should just come over tomorrow and help me build the thread so you can try things on

tetisheri72
August 12th, 2014, 06:04 PM

Oh yeah, some of those TTs are just so pretty. I want to buy them and frame them, really.

Yeah, if it's from the swap board (I have a few Ficcares and other things from there as well), then I guess it's hard to keep track of. Hadn't thought of that. I was thinking Etsy history in the sense that you might potentially sell things you didn't like.

I expect that I will eventually buy stuff that I end up not liking when I get it, or I get tired of it, or outgrow it. I have to say, I'm kind of excited about the latter 2.

julee
August 12th, 2014, 09:05 PM
I would say I have a fairly large collection, but it mainly consists of ficcares, which are all clipped onto a large glass bowl (in colour chromatic order! :lol: ) . I've been collecting those for a few years so I know what collection they are from etc.. The rest is only a couple of TT sticks, a couple of ketylo pairs, a few 60th street and some jeterforks, which are all easily distinguishable from one another. I think it would get harder for me to remember if the makers were similar in style.

ravenheather
August 12th, 2014, 09:15 PM
I personally don't like having more toys than I wear fairly frequently. If I am not wearing it, I swap it for something I will wear. I also have a pretty good memory. So no spreadsheets for me.

PrincessBob
August 12th, 2014, 09:38 PM
:oops: I tend to get rather obsessed with my things before I finally break down and get them, so I guess that helps in the task of remembering them all. I kind of have to already be madly in love with a thing before I am to justify the expenditure because we do not have much in the way of an expendable income. :violin: In fact most of them are bought from the swap board and I usually do research :eye: into an item before I commit, because whatever things I invest in must withstand my big old bun. If I am buying new from Etsy or Artfire they are usually on my favorites list, so I have recently gotten into the habit of adding the ones I buy to a specific "things I own" list. :deal: But mostly I find that after a while you get to know the style of your favorite makers fairly well and can easily identify something if you have multiple pieces from the same crafter.

Carolyn
August 12th, 2014, 09:45 PM
I don't worry about it. I don't care which toys are made of which woods. It's only important that I like the toy and how well it works for me. I have a fairly large and varied collection. Some things like Ficcares and Mei Fa sticks I know where and when they were purchased. I don't have a yen to know the wood and maker for my wooden sticks and forks. I have no plans to do a de-stash. I go through phases of what works and what doesn't work. I often come back to things and fall in love with them again. Hair toys are small and don't take up hardly any room so I don't see a need to have an unloved hair toy sale. I plan to keep everything. Knowing the maker and the wood is of no interest or use to me.

Crystawni
August 13th, 2014, 12:32 AM
I favourite Etsy links, put my purchases into a separate file (I've got a few files on Etsy for different makers, stuff in transit, etc., all set to private) then reduce the size on the screen to 50% (was bigger when I had less) and print screen it into Paint. It gets cropped and saved into a pic that's reopened in Paint when it needs updating. I also keep a separate pic (via a Word doc and Paint) of my Jeters and Timberstones, and take group shots of my "families". All stuff that comes in is also photographed, box and all, and kept in various hair toy files on my computer (and backed up on an external harddrive). Purchases via the swap board that don't have links (I often find the links myself, though, during my "research" ;) ) are saved with the pics and info. that are offered, and added to when they arrive.

Johannah
August 13th, 2014, 03:53 AM
I might subscribe to this thread as my hair keeps getting longer :lol: Lol, I don't think I'd ever have enough hair toys to make an excel spreadsheet or anything. I wish.

I've made something out of my old curtains where I store my hairtoys. This way I don't forget about some, even though I don't have many.

Long_hair_bear
August 13th, 2014, 08:33 PM
They are all hanging on my wall in my hair toy organizers or in vases on my dresser. I therefore see them all every day. I have a huge collection that takes up half a wall and most of my dresser top. I really need to stop buying more. :o

PrincessBob
August 14th, 2014, 01:21 AM
So, thanks to seeing the suggestion here I thought it would be a good idea to catalogue my collection, because I can :shrug:. In building my Excel sheet database I am including maker, total length, width, materials used, description, and original link if available. So far I have only input the things in my organizer right now, and the total number of entries (pairs are considered one entry) is somewhere in the high 40s right now. :thud:

:whistle: How on earth did that happen? I have theoretically that many options before I start playing mix and match. I have found a few I cannot reliably name, but those are gifts or swap finds. Only a few are "too nice" to wear on a regular basis. The wood ones are not great for outdoor wear in the rainy season, but still get a lot of use around the house.

Lady melissa
August 14th, 2014, 02:15 AM
I don't write anything down. I have a little cupboard with drawers in it and everything is put by categorie: silk flowers, hairsticks, all more expensive barettes and pins with crystals, hairbands, hairties, clawclips, etc I also have a box for all my alice bands/ tiara's (which i have a lot lol). I have to admit in the end, i don't wear half of them, but it's also because i've put them on my second floor of my house. I plan to bring everything down, next to my bedroom, because when i am in a hurry in the morning, i can quickly go get something and i don't lose a lot of time.

tetisheri72
August 15th, 2014, 05:24 PM
I would say I have a fairly large collection, but it mainly consists of ficcares, which are all clipped onto a large glass bowl (in colour chromatic order! :lol: ) . I've been collecting those for a few years so I know what collection they are from etc.. The rest is only a couple of TT sticks, a couple of ketylo pairs, a few 60th street and some jeterforks, which are all easily distinguishable from one another. I think it would get harder for me to remember if the makers were similar in style.

Yeah, those are all pretty different from each other. And of course the ficcares should be in color chromatic order. How else?

tetisheri72
August 15th, 2014, 05:26 PM
:oops: I tend to get rather obsessed with my things before I finally break down and get them, so I guess that helps in the task of remembering them all. I kind of have to already be madly in love with a thing before I am to justify the expenditure because we do not have much in the way of an expendable income. :violin: In fact most of them are bought from the swap board and I usually do research :eye: into an item before I commit, because whatever things I invest in must withstand my big old bun. If I am buying new from Etsy or Artfire they are usually on my favorites list, so I have recently gotten into the habit of adding the ones I buy to a specific "things I own" list. :deal: But mostly I find that after a while you get to know the style of your favorite makers fairly well and can easily identify something if you have multiple pieces from the same crafter.

I obsess too. I'll look at things over ad over and over. It drives my husband batty. He just says go ahead and buy it already. Doesn't work that way though.

tetisheri72
August 15th, 2014, 05:27 PM
I don't worry about it. I don't care which toys are made of which woods. It's only important that I like the toy and how well it works for me. I have a fairly large and varied collection. Some things like Ficcares and Mei Fa sticks I know where and when they were purchased. I don't have a yen to know the wood and maker for my wooden sticks and forks. I have no plans to do a de-stash. I go through phases of what works and what doesn't work. I often come back to things and fall in love with them again. Hair toys are small and don't take up hardly any room so I don't see a need to have an unloved hair toy sale. I plan to keep everything. Knowing the maker and the wood is of no interest or use to me.

That works out very well then!

tetisheri72
August 15th, 2014, 05:28 PM
I favourite Etsy links, put my purchases into a separate file (I've got a few files on Etsy for different makers, stuff in transit, etc., all set to private) then reduce the size on the screen to 50% (was bigger when I had less) and print screen it into Paint. It gets cropped and saved into a pic that's reopened in Paint when it needs updating. I also keep a separate pic (via a Word doc and Paint) of my Jeters and Timberstones, and take group shots of my "families". All stuff that comes in is also photographed, box and all, and kept in various hair toy files on my computer (and backed up on an external harddrive). Purchases via the swap board that don't have links (I often find the links myself, though, during my "research" ;) ) are saved with the pics and info. that are offered, and added to when they arrive.

That's a good way to keep track of everything.

tetisheri72
August 15th, 2014, 05:33 PM
I might subscribe to this thread as my hair keeps getting longer :lol: Lol, I don't think I'd ever have enough hair toys to make an excel spreadsheet or anything. I wish.

I've made something out of my old curtains where I store my hairtoys. This way I don't forget about some, even though I don't have many.

My husband and I are going to hack a tackle or tool box, as soon as I find one that I like. That way everything is stored neatly and safely, and I can just open it and grab what I want.

I started a spreadsheet. I don't have a big collection yet, but I want to be ready, because I will eventually, I'm sure.

They are all hanging on my wall in my hair toy organizers or in vases on my dresser. I therefore see them all every day. I have a huge collection that takes up half a wall and most of my dresser top. I really need to stop buying more. :o

I have two more things to buy and then I'm not allowed to buy any more for several months. (My personal ban) Otherwise I would spend most of what I have on hairtoys.

So, thanks to seeing the suggestion here I thought it would be a good idea to catalogue my collection, because I can :shrug:. In building my Excel sheet database I am including maker, total length, width, materials used, description, and original link if available. So far I have only input the things in my organizer right now, and the total number of entries (pairs are considered one entry) is somewhere in the high 40s right now. :thud:

:whistle: How on earth did that happen? I have theoretically that many options before I start playing mix and match. I have found a few I cannot reliably name, but those are gifts or swap finds. Only a few are "too nice" to wear on a regular basis. The wood ones are not great for outdoor wear in the rainy season, but still get a lot of use around the house.

Sneaked up on ya, didn't it?

I don't write anything down. I have a little cupboard with drawers in it and everything is put by categorie: silk flowers, hairsticks, all more expensive barettes and pins with crystals, hairbands, hairties, clawclips, etc I also have a box for all my alice bands/ tiara's (which i have a lot lol). I have to admit in the end, i don't wear half of them, but it's also because i've put them on my second floor of my house. I plan to bring everything down, next to my bedroom, because when i am in a hurry in the morning, i can quickly go get something and i don't lose a lot of time.

That makes a lot of sense. If I have to go looking for something, I'm more likely to just ignore it.

spidermom
August 15th, 2014, 05:36 PM
I can't think of an advantage to remembering. ??
I don't have a lot of hair items, though. To me, they're functional, not a fashion accessory, and certainly not toys.

Willowyn
August 15th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I found there's a huge advantage to having a list, although at this point, since my original list became obsolete due to over-enthusiastic acquisitions over a short period, we're talking about a pile of post-it notes and other scraps of paper in addition to Etsy folders, eBay history, and LHC saved messages. The advantage is that as I learn more about what hairtoys work for me and what I prefer to wear, I can post things that don't work on the swap board using accurate descriptions about the maker and the wood or other material (such as the style and collection for Ficcares). It also helps a great deal with determining an appropriate selling price or fair swap value. The learning curve has been quite expensive, and keeping track helps me to trade or sell fairly, without profit and without too much loss. (Usually enabling me to start the process all over again....)
And PrincessBob, don't feel bad. I've gone from "Zero to 60" (total hairtoys of various types) in just over a year!
:o

tetisheri72
August 15th, 2014, 06:38 PM
I found there's a huge advantage to having a list, although at this point, since my original list became obsolete due to over-enthusiastic acquisitions over a short period, we're talking about a pile of post-it notes and other scraps of paper in addition to Etsy folders, eBay history, and LHC saved messages. The advantage is that as I learn more about what hairtoys work for me and what I prefer to wear, I can post things that don't work on the swap board using accurate descriptions about the maker and the wood or other material (such as the style and collection for Ficcares). It also helps a great deal with determining an appropriate selling price or fair swap value. The learning curve has been quite expensive, and keeping track helps me to trade or sell fairly, without profit and without too much loss. (Usually enabling me to start the process all over again....)
And PrincessBob, don't feel bad. I've gone from "Zero to 60" (total hairtoys of various types) in just over a year!
:o

See, that's part of why I want a list too. I will, at some point, buy something that just won't work for me. I want to be able to just know what it is, and what I paid for it, so I can put it up on the swap board.