PDA

View Full Version : The much-envied princess leia hair (hehe)

Oskimosa
September 21st, 2008, 01:32 PM
Actually, I'm not referring to the cinnamon-bun hair Leia is most known for. In episodes 5 & 6, she wears her hair in complex braids and even down there with the Ewoks. (Yes I'm a big Star Wars nerd and even read all the novels.)

What I haven't been able to find any info on is whether or not Carrie Fisher wore wigs for the movies. I guess in the world of movie-making, it is probable. I think I heard that the cinnamon bun style was a wig, but for instance when she has it down or in a braid, was that a wig too? She has some beautiful hair if so. It's one of the many reasons I'd like to grow my hair out to that length :p

camara
September 21st, 2008, 01:56 PM
What Iīve heard is that she had very long hair at that time, so she was able to do some of the styles with her own hair. However, there are some styles that have to have wigs or fake braids added, in my opinion. Sorry I canīt cite my source of information, but I canīt remember it. :wacko:

Anje
September 21st, 2008, 02:15 PM
I suspect that a lot of it was done with wigs, though my cinnamon buns are starting to approach the size of her honeybun earmuffs, so it's definitely possible that iii-ish hair at that length could do the styles she wears.

nicolezoie
September 21st, 2008, 02:18 PM
Every Star Wars special I have ever seen indicates ALL Leia's hair was wigs. :rolleyes:

Shirlpunzel
September 21st, 2008, 03:50 PM
I don't have any solid info, but am also quite the Star Wars fan. My opinion for years has been that most of the hair we see on Leia is not real (though I am envious, nonetheless ;)). My reasoning is this: if we assume that the scenes showing Leia's hair down are real, then she would still IMHO not have enough hair to make most of the updos shown. My hair is tailbone now, and the famous "Leia buns" are individually bigger than a single cinnabon holding all of my hair. Granted however that thickness may affect that. I think I'm a ii. However, I had gotten the impression from reading here that thicker hair generally requires more length for a given 'do.:shrug:

I'd like to hope what we saw was a mix of real and fake, but either way, her hair is still beautiful, and no less an inspiration.
After all, lightsabers aren't "real" either, but still cool to watch:luke:

dorothea-brooke
September 21st, 2008, 04:14 PM
After all, lightsabers aren't "real" either <snip>

What? I don't understand. What are you talking about???
;)

Angelica
September 21st, 2008, 04:23 PM
I think it was probably hairpieces she wore. Remember the length of the braids she wore at the end of the first film?

Those ear muff double buns that she wore in the film could be achieved by those doughnut ring sponges that I have, provided the hair is a certain length.

In another film she just had waist length hair.

A photograph of her I saw in a magazine showed her only with shoulder length hair.

Perhaps a Google image search of her could show if she ever had really long hair.

Oskimosa
September 21st, 2008, 04:55 PM
Yea, I searched google for images or articles, trying to find out if her hair was a wig. All I found were wigs for sale and articles talking about the honeybuns. I have a 5.5" pony, and am confident that if I had hair down to my waist or hips that I could (with work) get a similar look. My buns were huge with only BSL hair, after all. But, maybe she had extensions and hairpieces mixed in. I don't know...

Mostly I'm impressed with her hair there at the ending scene of A New Hope and ALL the styles from Return of the Jedi. Almost makes me want my mousy dark blonde hair back. (Almost. Maybe in a few years. ;))

anna1850
September 21st, 2008, 05:10 PM
If you haven't seen this site (http://imaginary-styles.iwarp.com/trilogy.html) then you'll want to check it out :)

Dark Rosaleen
September 21st, 2008, 05:56 PM
Thank you for the link anna1850. I love having access to instructions for these hairstyles.

Oskimosa
September 21st, 2008, 11:53 PM
If you haven't seen this site (http://imaginary-styles.iwarp.com/trilogy.html) then you'll want to check it out :)

:agape:
I think I'm going to cry... *sniff sniff* Um... That is, when my hair gets long enough to play with these. Then I'll cry happy tears of oh so much happiness.

Samikha
September 22nd, 2008, 01:28 AM
As an avid fan of the Imaginary Styles site, I believe the general consensus is that it was a wig, but that all the styles were done with hair appropriate to the length of the wig. If you see the tutorials at the site, I think you'll agree - the Leia buns are not quite straight cinnabuns either.

ladyshannonanne
September 22nd, 2008, 01:29 AM
Yes, they were wigs and hair pieces. Watch some of the old interviews with Carrie Fisher or her screen test just a few months before they started shooting. Her hair is a little above shoulder length. Around the time of Empire, her hair is past shoulder, and it's about the same during Jedi.

Oskimosa
September 22nd, 2008, 09:45 AM
Yes, they were wigs and hair pieces. Watch some of the old interviews with Carrie Fisher or her screen test just a few months before they started shooting. Her hair is a little above shoulder length. Around the time of Empire, her hair is past shoulder, and it's about the same during Jedi.

Ohh, poo. I'd like to have known they were real. :p But, really, what's ever real in movie making...?

CurlyNinja
September 23rd, 2008, 10:50 AM

That site is pretty amazing. Thanks for sharing! She has lots of other movie styles too, apparently.

Eireann
September 23rd, 2008, 11:10 AM
When my hair is long enough (waist maybe?), I'm going to try this one:

http://img488.imageshack.us/img488/1850/padmeblackpromo2ur4.jpg

NeilTheFuzz
September 23rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
I believe that all that lovely hair was Carrie Fishers real hair, and wasnt it lovely! I think I heard that (although I could be making this up:confused:) on one of the Star Wars ep 4-6 re-release DVD box set that also includes a documentry "Empire of Dreams" which covers indepth the making of the films.

Neil

psycho
September 23rd, 2008, 03:47 PM
Real or not, I'm particularly impressed how much all the Star Wars movies (seems the new ones moreso, but the old ones did too) use long hair on men and women alike, I was especially impressed with seeing a long-haired Liam Neeson :p

Jean_Grey
September 23rd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Oooh, thanks for this thread!

I always loved Leia's hair as a child, and I loved the nifty things that were done with Padme's in the newer films. I'm excited to have a link to play with, too!! :)

Manako
September 24th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I found this http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3128399872/nm0000402

the picture was taken in 1978, which occurs between the filming of some of the films, the last one was released in 1983. It seems impossible that the hair is all hers, but her hair is pretty nice and rather long.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3145177088/nm0000402
That is from 1972, which is prior to the films.

Siowiel
November 9th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Judging from the updos, what thickness would you Leia give, aside the question if wig or no wig?
It certainly would have to be an IV, not III (i.e. more than 15cm/6 inch)?

Sometimes, I am really annoyed with my II hair! If I do two braids, they look thin like a rat's tail.

Oskimosa
November 9th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I don't really know, I guess when my iii hair gets long enough and I try these things, I'll post pics for you to decide :p Because sometimes it just looks loose rather than voluminous... Her braid while she was Jabba's slave looked more like a ii to me, but she did have some hair piled up on top of her head.

Maybe just a iii.

mellie
November 9th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Cool sites!! Great motivation!!