PDA

View Full Version : Do you suit your newly long hair?

diddiedaisy
August 11th, 2014, 04:03 PM
I was wondering if anyone had grown their hair long, then thought that they looked better with it at shorter lengths?

My hair's not long yet, 20 inches, but let's face it no matter how beautiful the hair may be, it doesn't always always match the face ;

The longest my hair has ever been was bsl, permed and big. It was fashionable at the time lol. It did suit me, but I'm not sure long straightish hair will.

So, how did you feel about your hair when it got long?

skeletonous
August 11th, 2014, 04:13 PM
I think a lot of people like short hair on me (and want me to keep it that way lol) but I'm not quite sure which will look better considering the last time I had long hair, I was shampooing my scalp, letting it run down the ends as I rinsed it out, and conditioning below the ear. My hair would still get kinda puffy at the bottom (somewhat like brushed out waves) and not so much at the top (maybe that's why some people liked shorter hair on me, because it had more volume at the crown and wasn't puffy at the bottom?). My hair seems to like CO washing way more :) so I hope things will continue to be awesome as my hair grows out again.

I honestly think the puffy-ness was from the lower part of my hair being too dry from shampooing, stripping the oils from my scalp before they could reach the ends.

ETA: Even when my long hair wouldn't behave the way I wanted it to, I think it's about half and half for which I prefer on me at the moment. I like the beauty and style-ability of long hair (along with the security of it), but I also like the ease and freshness of short hair.

To answer the actual question better, as long as I part my hair on the side I think it looks pretty good, short or long :laugh: though I'd love to be able to rock a middle parting. Maybe someday!

HairFaerie
August 11th, 2014, 04:15 PM
I look alright with either really short hair or really long hair. All of the in between stages...not so good. *Sigh* I have a long way to go to get to really long.

EarthArtist
August 11th, 2014, 04:21 PM
I loved my hair long but I did not know how to take care of it. It looked damaged and frizzy and I was loosing what seemed like a lot of hair in the shower so I cut a pixi!! Liked the pixi but my friends said they "liked" me with long hair (as if the short hair changed my personality). So I'm growing out again and taking care of it. Currently at 23 inches with a goal of WL which I should hopefully reach by next summer 👍

Hibernis
August 11th, 2014, 04:23 PM
For me it's all about the face. I will always need bangs to make my face look its best, otherwise things look a little off proportionally.

For lengths, I think there are awkward lengths and very flattering ones. I have a friend who grew her hair out to tailbone length, and it looked unflattering between waist and tailbone, but AT waist or tailbone, it suited everything about her.

I also feel like healthy hair makes its own kind of flattery. Show me someone with long, strong, healthy hair, and I will not notice how it is styled, just how amazingly beautiful it is.

battles
August 11th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Extremes seem to suit me. I can pull off a pixie and I can pull off BSL and beyond, but anything in the middle just makes me look older than I am. I prefer long to short, though. :)

BonnieU
August 11th, 2014, 04:26 PM
I've always loved short hair on me, but my hair has not been longer than bsl since I was very young. So far I'm loving it on me at apl and I did when I was at bsl too, so I expect i will feel the same. Plus back then I used harsh box color and stripping shampoos as well as silicone so I never really knew what my natural texture was. I'm most excited now to be growing it out all virgin and seeing what it looks like at the much longer lengths. Maybe as you get farther you will start to like it more...

lilin
August 11th, 2014, 04:41 PM
I think I look good more consistently with long hair.

I do look good with short cuts, but when my hair is short, I never know what I'm gonna wake up with. I could have an impossible cowlick, I could have frizzy bangs, I could have a million things. It also has to be cut right -- I'm an oval, but on the rounder side, so if I get my layers just right, it looks great, and if I get them wrong, it looks horrible.

So I do think some short haircuts suit me well. But getting it to look consistently good is a plain in the neck. Then there's the constant cutting, because the second it starts to grow out, I look weird. Like a couple other people, I look best at the extremes of length. All the middle stuff, starting at chin and going all the way through shoulder length, just doesn't look great on me.

When my hair is long, it looks pretty much the same almost every day, and if I treat my waves right, it always looks great -- up or down in virtually any style.

Long hair is just easier. And, I have to say, I think I inherited very lovely hair, if a bit sensitive. I missed it. I enjoyed my short-haired years, but I don't know that I'll ever go back to it. If I ever do, it'll probably be a total shave, and just resign myself to looking a bit weird until it's long again -- just for the experience. We'll see. But I'll probably stay long for at least a few years.

pixldust
August 11th, 2014, 04:42 PM
When people found out I was growing my hair, a few thought that I suited it better short. Buuut, the few times I attempted to grow my hair before, it never got much past shoulder length so there was no real basis for comparison. I think it was more what people were used to seeing on me. I personally think that the way my hair is now suits me, maybe not exactly as much as short hair but enough that I'm happy with it. Longer hair also makes me feel feminine, something I didn't really feel with short hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 11th, 2014, 04:47 PM
I can't tell if it suits me long or not, I can never tell if something looks good on me. I PREFER long hair on myself. I just asked my SO if long hair suits me, and he said that it does. Yay!

Madora
August 11th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Since I'm not blessed with facial beauty I couldn't care less if my hair suits me or not. I prefer my hair long because it is my one beauty. It's now at knee and I'm enjoying it very much.

diddiedaisy
August 11th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Hehe, the middle parting is my mortal enemy too, as is my face without bangs!! I think it's because I've got a really short forehead. Although, in my big permed days I didn't have bangs and it looked ok. As soon as the perm went I looked in the mirror and it screamed back at me "jeez, get some bangs will ya". Proportion is obviously everything. Flat hair and my face will never be friends. :)

chen bao jun
August 11th, 2014, 04:58 PM
I'm lucky to have very symmetrical features, so it really doesn't matter. I can wear a center part or pull my hair back or anything I feel like, everything is in proportion so how my hair is styled doesn't really change my looks. However, I have to say my husband really prefers me with loose hair--looks more approachable, less severe. And he says, younger. Though I don't see any older women around here with buns, its all young girls.
Of course, its easier to have loose hair with shorter hair.
However, I want it long at this time of my life.
Hubby did say the other night that I looked very pretty 'even with that bun' so maybe he is getting used to it lol

Tini'sNewHair
August 11th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I'm the other way around, I TRIED shorter hair and it does NOT suit me at all! It makes my face fatter, older, weird.. So, if i was to go short again for whatever reason, I would never go shorter than BSL! I do seem to suit blunt fringes very well :D I never changed my hair to suit other people tho, that will never happen!

ARG
August 11th, 2014, 06:30 PM
If I were to sit in a hairdresser's chair and let them do whatever they felt suits me, I can promise you it'll be a chin length bob. Everyone (close family member to friends) say my "petite features" are suited for short hair. Okay...? I like my hair long. My features will have to deal with it =P.

neko_kawaii
August 11th, 2014, 06:32 PM
I was told I looked good bald, so presumably I also look good in a bun. *shrug*

dezibela
August 11th, 2014, 06:33 PM
I think I'm prettier with a shaggy, face-framing cut, but I'm more striking with my long waves. At least, I hope I am!

Chromis
August 11th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Newly long? It doesn't just grow out overnight :lol:

Not all lengths are as good for all people (looks or otherwise, anything less than BSL drives me batty), but by the time you've grown "long", you generally have plenty of chance to work out styles and whatnot.

ogden
August 11th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Too early to tell as it isn't "long" yet. But relative to the buzz cut I had forever, the awkward stage (7-8 inches everywhere) looks fine I think, though my hair is pretty thick and somewhat out of control. Other people seem to be fine with it for the most part I think because there are a reasonable number of guys here with longish/shaggy type hair, though I get asked all the time when I am going to cut it.

ErinLeigh
August 12th, 2014, 02:45 AM
I can't decide. My hair looks best shorter since it is so thin...but I think I look best with CBL or APL lightly layered with long side swept bangs. It looked a little scraggly near BSL but I am curious if it gets better past that stage. I am on the fence which way to go with it.

Beezle
August 12th, 2014, 05:02 AM
Long hair doesn't suit me at all! Neither out nor in a bun. The most flattering style would be a short bob with a well defined fringe. But the satisfaction of being able to get my hair into a bun and the enormous pleasure I get from knowing it's there is enough to over-ride all of the negative aspects. And I'm in Madora's situation, although my hair is nowhere near as beautiful. I'm grateful for small mercies that my hair has kindly agreed to grow even to this length. :)

Johannah
August 12th, 2014, 05:12 AM
Shorter hair than BSL doesn't suit me. I feel extremely ugly when it's short! The longer my hair becomes, the prettier I feel. Bangs do a lot to my face, as well. I've got heavy blunt bangs since I was 4 years old. I've tried to grow them out twice but it didn't suit me.

Stray_mind
August 12th, 2014, 05:35 AM
I am one of those people who look good with very short or very long hair, but nothing in between...

browneyedsusan
August 12th, 2014, 06:21 AM
I sure hope so! :lala:

Catatafish
August 18th, 2014, 04:35 PM
I think so. I've had longish hair for most of my life, and I only cut it into short a graduated bob a year and a half ago. Though I liked the cut, it was just too much hassle to get it to lay right. Hairdressers often want to chop it off, but my friends say it looks nice longer.

lapushka
August 18th, 2014, 05:06 PM
A short bob (chin length) looks amazingly great on me (no kidding), but I chose length over looks, because length is easier to deal with. A chin length bob needs to be styled into oblivion in my case. Long hair is extremely easy. Takes a minute to put up, and it doesn't bother me in the least.

NuclearApple
August 18th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Let's say that most of the time the problem is the style and not the length.

If I let my hair grow long without any kind of layers, fringe, bangs ecc... I look like a penguin. Because I'm not tall at all and I need a few layers to make it more interesting and make my neck pop out a bit more; shorter hair suit me perfectly, but you know, its' all about preferences! ;)

DreamSheep
August 18th, 2014, 05:48 PM
I like the way the length of my hair looks, but I do think I suited a fringe, or side bangs better, whereas now I'm growing them out (for just over a year and it took so long to get past the awkward stage to get them to ears and now they will stay in braids for a while before popping out...), so although I miss my fringe, I feel I'm going to try and survive without.

Goodwyfe
August 18th, 2014, 05:58 PM
I am one of those people who look good with very short or very long hair, but nothing in between...

This is me, too! Egads this ear-length mushroom I have on my head right now is dreadful!

Korisznivella
August 20th, 2014, 10:05 AM
It felt really wrong for me when I had short hairs, and so when I grew my hairs really long for the first time, it felt like I was coming home.

LadyCelestina
August 20th, 2014, 10:29 AM
I look a bit off with shorter hair in my opinion.It looks better than long hair since the curls are more defined and bla bla,but it looks sort of sporty,funky,light,and I suit a heavier look better.

LongHairLesbian
August 20th, 2014, 02:07 PM
I think I look much better with longer hair. :) No one liked my hair when I cut it to chin or shoulder, and said they liked it long. Now that it's hip, some of those same people are now saying it's too long and that I should cut it. :suspect: Whatever. I prefer my hair when it's long, whenever I cut it I always end up growing it back out again. :) I find it hard to understand why some people have the itch to chop all the time; even when I had short hair, I would ignore it until it got long again. Then again, I've always had long hair, so it's my safe zone. And it's absolutely gorgeous :D (long hair in general, not mine haha)

SkyChild
August 20th, 2014, 02:33 PM
I suit extremely short hair (pixie and a buzzcut) I suit nearly APL (where I am now) I hate shoulder length and a chin-length bob is the epitome of unflattering hairstyle on me. I'm hoping I'll suit extremes and the longer my hair gets, the better it'll look.

velorutionista
August 20th, 2014, 02:48 PM
I can pull off really short hair, and I really like the look of BSL+ hair (so far I've made it to midback, so I can't speak to longer lengths--yet!), but chin to APL looks dreadful on me (mostly my hair just doesn't cooperate at all, but was too short to contain effectively, either).

I have been growing out my fringe (it's probably close to collarbone length now), and I kind of miss the face-framing aspect of shorter cuts, so I may cut some really long bangs in and get the best of both worlds...but overall, I vastly prefer it longer.

FrannyG
August 20th, 2014, 02:53 PM
I definitely look better with longer hair, in my opinion. I've had it short in various styles over the years, and I am convinced that I look older with short hair. On the other hand, my below-hip length hair was not turning out to be as flattering as I'd hoped, with a straight-across hemline and when worn down, so I've cut it into a V-shape with long layers, at about waist length. I'll have to get a new siggy pic to reflect my new cut, which I'm very happy with. Having said that, I'll likely just grow it all back again, if history predicts the future. :)

becker
August 20th, 2014, 03:03 PM
I've had super short hair, which I think looks OK on me, and I've grown my hair to around mid back length a couple times. The second time I grew it long, I started getting a bit annoyed when my hair would get stuck in my armpits and also felt like it was just kinda hanging there if it wasn't up in a bun, made me feel kind of unattractive. I think I looks better short or around shoulder length but I feel like short us just too fussy for me, I prefer fewer haircuts and less daily maintenance. So I guess I'm sticking with somewhere around shoulder length.

Caraid♫
August 20th, 2014, 03:22 PM
I found the longer it gets, the more it suits me. I've almost always had somewhat long hair (not really that long, but almost never really shorter than bsl). Shorter than collarbone is really awful on me, mid length felt boring, but now that my hair is between hip and tailbone I finally feel like it suits me. I have a feeling beyond tbl might be too much, but I'll try for classic just to see :)

Creagan
August 20th, 2014, 04:16 PM
I recently grew out my bangs, so I KNOW I look terrible with short hair. (Which is funny, because everybody always tells me I'd look "so great with short hair.") I could pull my length back, and arrange the front so it looked like one hair style. It was hideous, my mom finally stopped waxing poetic about how nice my hair would look if I just let somebody cut it above my shoulders.

My hair is currently somewhere between hip and tailbone. I've been told that on me, it doesn't look that long. (Ultra long hair, according to my sisters, is ugly. So I guess that was supposed to be a complement?)

Anyway, I always thought I looked best with bangs just grazing my eyebrows, and hair between APL and waist. But no bangs, and my current length is okay. Nobody else liked the bangs.

RileyJane
August 20th, 2014, 09:33 PM
For myself it has everything to do with my face and body type. I have an hourglass figure which to me, don't fully suit extremely short hair because the few girls I loved pixies on and rocked it had a smaller frame than me, and it just worked. Same with "bigger" girls, I have a few friends that have bobs or a long bob and they rock it. For me, thou the bob hairstyle only made me look bigger, and really highlighted all the wrong parts of my body and face. Technically, I have a standard oval face, but I have strong features that long hair softens, plus it gives me a slightly elongated facial structure that I like. So, that being said most ppl are used to me having hair BSL or longer, so when they see my hair now it's almost like a sigh of relief like oh you're back.. So I think a big part of it goes into what you and what others are used to on you, and your facial structure along with some body type thought but that's just me :p

Sharysa
August 21st, 2014, 02:27 PM
My face is very angular and square, so long hair softens it up VERY well. I like short hair, but it screwed up my waves for YEARS and all the styling bugged me because I'm lazy. Long hair = less effort, therefore I like it better.

My hair also holds waves much better when it's long, and I love wavy hair on myself. Straight hair is too severe since my hair's black.

Mom says I look like a witch and my hair swallows me because it's black and hip-length, but other people like my hair. One of those people is me, so I'm sticking with it. XD

skeletonous
August 21st, 2014, 09:19 PM
^ what's wrong with looking like a witch? ;) your hair sounds beautiful! :)

Larki
August 21st, 2014, 09:40 PM
Well, mine isn't "newly" long, but I guess my long hair suits me! I've never had anyone even suggest that I cut it short.

foreverKristin
August 22nd, 2014, 12:08 AM
When I was in fifth grade I donated 13 inches, putting me a chin-length bob. I was young and entering a super-awkward phase at the time and that cut did me no favors. Growing it out to APL was awkward. Every length past APL looked fine, and waist or BSL might even look better than the hip-length locks I'm sporting now. However, the more my hair grows the more beautiful I feel.

tetisheri72
August 22nd, 2014, 10:20 AM
Since I'm not blessed with facial beauty I couldn't care less if my hair suits me or not. I prefer my hair long because it is my one beauty. It's now at knee and I'm enjoying it very much.

This is how I feel about my hair too. I think it's my best feature.

aloha
August 22nd, 2014, 10:28 AM
My hair has an uneven kink underneath. I had it straightened seemed to help. Longer is helping even it out . So i am happy