PDA

View Full Version : Scrunchies less damaging?

cdonald2
August 11th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Are scrunchies less damaging than hairties? i cant wear my hair up without scrunchies or hair ties right now and it is too short for me to braid (i am not skilled at braiding) I want to wear my hair up as it grows so i can go through my awkward phases easier. Plus ive noticed alot less damage by wearing it up.

Advice?

YesitsReal
August 11th, 2014, 01:51 PM
You and I, my friend, are in the same boat.
Before my cut I used scrunchies (especially the satin ones) for years with no issues. Now, though, I kind of prefer pantyhose ties or those ribbon elastic thingies with the knot in them (no idea what the name is; I just know they're popular amongst the trendy set, or they were a year or two ago). They look a bit less "retro." lol. I haven't noticed damage with them, and they slide out easily. I just try not to tighten them too much.

Chromis
August 11th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Either will give you damage IME. No matter how soft and seamless, I had a line of breakage for using them which I could watch growing out after I stopped.

I'd look into learning the peacock twist for a style you can use before you have the length for a bun.

For braiding, you will likely be able to do pigtails before a single braid. You might try them for sleeping to get some practice. They look quite nice clipped up!

meteor
August 11th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Yes, scrunchies are safe, especially those silky ones.

Also, look into ordinary claw clips. At shorter lengths they are great at keeping hair up and away from face. :)

lunalocks
August 11th, 2014, 02:19 PM
I used a scrunchie with soft fabric for several years while doing aerobic dance 3 times a week. I repeatedly tightened the pony without even realizing how often I was doing it. Well, it caused a lot of breakage that I am still growing out. Just FYI.

FallingDarkness
August 11th, 2014, 02:32 PM
I LOVE my scrunchies. I wear them for braids allll the time. Claw clips saved my life when my hair was too short to put up with a hair fork (still too short to put up with a stick... grr).
Ponytails aren't the safest option when it comes to putting your hair up so I understand the damage that lunalocks is referring to. If you can bun your hair then do it, claw clips are fantastic, and you could always ask someone else to help you with braids (you should tie off your braids with scrunchies as well). I think you have the length for a baby French braid, so you should see if anyone you know knows how to French braid.

cdonald2
August 12th, 2014, 01:43 AM
I usually use a bun, and i tried the pantyhose trick, love it!

martyna_22
August 12th, 2014, 01:49 AM
Scrunchies are less damaging, and I'd say if you like them, feel free to use them freely. I think the thingies with knots in them are twistbands, by the way ;)

Johannah
August 12th, 2014, 01:55 AM
When my hair was short and I didn't have any hairtoys, I wore a bun with a scrunchie every single day, for a year. Didn't give me damage at all.

jacqueline101
August 12th, 2014, 03:10 AM
I've used scrunchi and still do and haven't noticed any damage. I wear a satin one and love it.

YvetteVarie
August 13th, 2014, 01:48 AM
I use scrunchies. I don't notice much damage. The only issue I have is that its a shed hair catcher

Catatafish
August 18th, 2014, 02:29 PM
In my opinion scruchies are far less damaging than hair ties. I don't really like wearing them outside much (even though they're supposedly in fashion again), but I use one every day to hold my hair up in a shower cap, and I haven't noticed any damage.

blace
August 18th, 2014, 06:10 PM
I don't notice damage from scrunchies. I typically wear them nightly. In fact, I just bought myself a pretty aqua colored velvet one just for the fun of it.

I either use scrunchies or "twistbands" daily as I haven't quite mastered my hair sticks. I haven't notice any breakage due to them at ALL.

jackie_rapunzel
August 18th, 2014, 08:05 PM
I use a scrunchie frequently at work, as well as sleep in one. I like them just fine and haven't noticed any damaged. My scrunchies are more or less big sift hairties. They're not the 90's scrunchies I wore as a kid. haha.
It's nice they make a wide variety of hair ties and such now.