PDA

View Full Version : I wanna get rollers for a more curly hairstyle. . .

FallingDarkness
August 10th, 2014, 10:09 PM
I'm just a month and a half away from reaching my hair-up goal. I miss my hair, so I'm going to give myself a month of wearing it down once a week and then go back to the challenge (most likely). So I've been thinking of cute hairstyles I could wear, and my mom suggested that my hair would look really good if we used those hair roller things. Before I go and PURCHASE them though, I'm wondering what your guys' experience is with them, what type I should get, which ones work for thick hair, how big of a factor hair length plays, etc. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks :)

Sarahlabyrinth
August 10th, 2014, 11:23 PM
Have you thought about trying rag curls? You can see how to do them on You Tube.

FallingDarkness
August 11th, 2014, 12:27 AM
I've never even heard of rag curls! Are they easy/efficient/damageless?

SkyChild
August 11th, 2014, 12:51 AM
I always struggle with rollers and get in a tangle. I think also that heat or Velcro ones are pretty damaging.
Youtube ragcurls - they look gorgeous, are fairly easy and use no heat so save your hair and electricity bill.

polishrose
August 11th, 2014, 04:11 AM
What about pin curls held with those little grippy things? Are they kind to hair?

emilia1992
August 11th, 2014, 06:00 AM
I vote for rag curls. You don't even have to buy anything at all: I use a scarf. They don't cause any damage. I looked up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7bjCSteybc which seems to be the best one. The more strips of fabric you use, the tighter the curls will be. I just use one for my whole head.

Anje
August 11th, 2014, 09:53 AM
More expensive than rag curls.... Caruso curlers get quite a lot of love around here. They're "steam rollers", in that you steam them before putting them in, so they're warm and damp. No apparent damage, and they seem to set curls pretty nicely. (Can I use them? That's a different story, but I think it's safely attributable to my being utterly inadept at using curlers.)

Majorane
August 11th, 2014, 10:09 AM
I agree on the rags! Or if you want to go completely frizzy, try strawcurls. (done with a drinking straw.) Cheap, easy, damagefree as far as I know, and effective. I have big, pricey, foamy Jumborollers and yes, they make really cool big loose curls. But because they're so big, and my hair doesn't like to be told what to do, they sag into pinstraightness in 30 minutes. So they were a bit of a waste. Not the ragcurls; those stay for at least 45 minutes before they're gone. I think that on normal hair they're supposed to last at least a day and a half.

So keep your money in the piggybank and do some ragcurling. Oh! Or do a sockbun, or two, overnight! Those give amaaaaazing waves too!

FallingDarkness
August 11th, 2014, 12:56 PM
OMG! Thanks so much everybody.

FallingDarkness
August 11th, 2014, 01:02 PM
I'll definitely give those rag curls a go, and see what happens :)