PDA

View Full Version : A question for self trimmers:

Entangled
August 9th, 2014, 05:26 PM
I'm trimming for the first time, and I want to cut the barest hint of a u. In fact, I think I want a straight across cut, but I'm scared I'll cut it diagonal, and a u seemed easier. Any tips? Oh, and I have a natural side part. Should I wear that while I trim? Any reassurances?

Sarahlabyrinth
August 9th, 2014, 05:50 PM
I have a Crea Clip, which is really easy to use and it does give a slight U shaped hemline.

lapushka
August 9th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Feye's self-trimming method is really easy to use. I always, even though I wear a side-part, use a middle part for having it cut. These are the instructions for a U-cut:
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/1827.html#cutid1

If you want a soft U, look towards the roof while cutting.

Also, tie both sides off with an elastic, it's much better for accuracy when cutting.

Entangled
August 9th, 2014, 05:59 PM
I've just been looking at Feye's site. Is there any way I can get a BARELY visible U, practically straight? Again, I really want a straight hem but I'm scared I'll botch it.

Zebra Fish
August 9th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Seconding Feye's self-trimming. I was really afraid to do it myself, but never missed with Feye :)

ETA: I'd say tilt back your hair as much as possible while you are getting the measure where to cut for a lesser U? I did with my face straight as my hair used to be in a deep V before, and now I'm going for the straight across, but as I still don't have too much hair on the very ends (the deep V from before) so I can't help if it is easy to miss it, for me it is straight without problems for now.

lapushka
August 9th, 2014, 06:04 PM
I've just been looking at Feye's site. Is there any way I can get a BARELY visible U, practically straight? Again, I really want a straight hem but I'm scared I'll botch it.

If you read the instructions carefully, it clearly says how to get a barely visible U. :)

Entangled
August 9th, 2014, 06:11 PM
:blushing:

I guess I'm a little anxious. :whistle:

Thanks, Lapushka.

ETA: And thank you, Zebra Fish

livelycurls
August 9th, 2014, 06:16 PM
I have a Crea Clip, which is really easy to use and it does give a slight U shaped hemline.

I have one too, really easy to use.

RapunzelKat
August 9th, 2014, 11:55 PM
:blushing:

I guess I'm a little anxious. :whistle:

Thanks, Lapushka.

ETA: And thank you, Zebra Fish

It's understandable to be anxious. :flower: I was quite anxious the first time I trimmed my own hair, but Feye's method works really well. (I do the blunt hemline version.)
Try starting with a really small trim, like 1/4". It's less nerve racking because even if you're a bit crooked it's just a teeny amount. That's what helped me to build confidence to do slightly larger trims. :)

Marika
August 10th, 2014, 12:06 AM
There are many self trimming videos on YouTube (also Feye's method). I'm a visual learner myself and find videos to be quite helpful.

lapushka
August 10th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Yes and don't give it one quick glance after cutting and think oooh it's uneven, must cut it some more. No. Big mistake. Never "cut some more". It will be even, even if it doesn't show up that way straight away. That's why I always have my hair trimmed before a wash. The washing "aligns" the hairs better and so it will show up to be even!

Becs
August 10th, 2014, 03:14 PM
I was terrified the first time i trimmed my own hair. What i did was a little different than what some others do so maybe you'll find it helpful...i parted my hair down the middle and secured it in low pigtails. I then put bands every few inches down the pigtails until i ran out of hair (making banded ponytails.) this ensured the hair wouldn't move and slip about as i was cutting it. Then i ran my fingers down the ends of the last section and trimmed the teeniest amount off the ends of each pigtail. It worked quite well for me and gave me a straight hem

Sharysa
August 10th, 2014, 03:40 PM
It's totally understandable that you'd be nervous.

As for side versus center parts: A slight side part should be fine with switching to the center during a trim, but I'd advise to use your everyday part for trimming if it's a really deep side-part.

Kaelee
August 10th, 2014, 06:41 PM
I use Feye's method (though I haven't trimmed in a long time so I got some nice fairytail ends going. Also my sig pic has bun waves). You'll get a very slight U if you only trim a small amount. I think she gives instructions for a blunt cut too.

LauraLongLocks
August 10th, 2014, 07:12 PM
I just do Feye's blunt and look at the floor. I think it gives a mostly blunt hem with only the softest U. However, I haven't been trimming enough length at a time to make a huge difference in my hem.

jacqueline101
August 10th, 2014, 09:08 PM
There are many self trimming videos on YouTube (also Feye's method). I'm a visual learner myself and find videos to be quite helpful.

This is how I learned the Faye self trim method. I love her method when I was trimming due to the simplicity. I think everyone had anxiety on trimming their own hair.

DaniJoy
August 13th, 2014, 07:29 AM
I will now and always use Feyes method for cutting my hair and I just learned to do it three months ago! It's extremely easy and I don't have any talent towards cutting hair. I think I tried to cut my sisters bangs once, about 15 years ago, and they ended up getting shorter and shorter and more crooked as I went. So yeah, if I can do it, so can you!!

diddiedaisy
August 13th, 2014, 09:05 PM
I've always cut my own hair, I hate going to the hairdressers. My hairs not long enough to ponytail and bring to front. So, I ponytail it, turn to the side looking in the mirror, pull my fingers down to where I want I to cut twisting the hair as I go and snip. It always looks like I've cut diagonal in the mirror because of how I'm holding my hair, but it always comes out very straight.

Entangled
August 13th, 2014, 09:07 PM
So, I cut my hair! Nothing drastic, just 1/4 of an inch. Whew! I'm glad that is over and was successful! Thank you for your helpful and reassuring responses.

Chromis
August 13th, 2014, 09:10 PM
:cheer:

One of us, one of us!

Welcome to the self-trimming society. :D

Entangled
August 13th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Why, thank you!

I'm not going back to the hairstylist for a long time. It's too stressful! I love my stylist, but switching up what I want(no blowdrying, harsh combing, or sink washes{snarl city}) is too stressful to explain! I think I just don't like confrontations. Besides, it's do much easier to self-trim!