PDA

View Full Version : Loose hair strands

merseaone
August 9th, 2014, 09:18 AM
I want your opinion on something I consider to be a problem. Whenever I run my fingers through my hair I get a few strands that come out. I always have strands of hair sticking to my shirt or skirt or pants and it drives me crazy! I know we lose a certain amount of hair every day so I am figuring that is what this hair is. How can I minimumize this - brushing? If it is brushing, how many stokes should I do?

GetMeToWaist
August 9th, 2014, 09:33 AM
I get this too, and brushing morning and night seems to help a lot with it, also braiding at night. You don't need to brush excessively - just till it feels softer and detangled. I know a lot of people say you shouldnt brush wavy/curly hair but I do because it makes my hair look so much nicer and stops shed hairs being everywhere.

Johannah
August 9th, 2014, 09:39 AM
I've noticed the internet gives a lot of answers on how many hair we loose on a regular day, but I guess it's around 100. If I go through my hair, I loose hairs as well. It's normal, don't worry about it. If you brush it, you'd probably got less hairs on your clothes. Same with wearing your hair up.

merseaone
August 9th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Does it matter how many strokes you do? I know old wives tales say 100 strokes a night.

Madora
August 9th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Brushing will certainly help get rid of loose hairs that have fallen out.

As for number of strokes, that depends. Have you brushed your hair regularly..i.e. daily in the past? If not, then start off with a limited number of strokes. Say 10 to 15strokes, in the head down position if possible. Why head down? Because you can reach ALL your hair, including your nape hair and the undercanopy as well.

Once you've established a pattern of 10 to 15 and have done it for a week w/o any scalp issues (i.e. your follicles hurting), then increase the number of strokes by 5 more and see how your scalp reacts. The thing is not to hurry with the brushing. If you do many strokes in too short a time, your scalp will hurt like the dickens because the follicles are not used to being drawn in a different direction and need time to adjust.

If brushing in the head down position doesn't appeal to you, then just center part your hair and brush each side separately.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, before brushing, detangle all your hair gently with a wide tooth comb. Work from the ends of the strands up to the roots!

The type of brush you use is very important! A pure boar bristle brush (no nylon! no rubber pad) is the kindest brush to use because its bristles are made from the shed "hair" of the wild boar, which is the closest thing in nature that mimics human hair.

Brushing is good for your hair because it distributes your hair's natural sebum down the strands, removes dirt/lint/dead hair cells/exercises your hair follicles to promote growth, and if done consistently and gently, leaves your hair soft and shiny.

How you use the brush makes a difference! After you've detangled, slowly begin to brush down your strands. After each passage of the brush, take your other hand and go down the hair you just brushed. The brushing creates static but when you run your hand down the hair you just brushed, that helps banish the static.

Special note about bbbs: Not all are created equal! How they are made makes all the difference. The bristles also can vary greatly...from very stiff to not so much.

I'm a wavy and have been using bbbs exclusively for over 40 years. They are wonderful. I don't recommend plastic or nylon brushes. ETA: The number of strokes all depends on how your scalp reacts to the brushing. If you can do 25 every day with no problem, then fine. If you want to do more, fine too. Personally, I do 100 a day. Just find what's comfy for you and stick to it...every day! Also, it's better to brush in the morning, when you get up, than to leave it for the evening. Morning is the more optimum time to brush (has something to do with blood flow, per famed Czar of Long Hair, Dr. George Michael).

merseaone
August 9th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Thank you so much for all the information! Where do I get a BBB and how much do they cost?

Madora
August 9th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Thank you so much for all the information! Where do I get a BBB and how much do they cost?

You can find boar bristle brushes at places like Target/Walmart/Sally's Beauty Supply/major retailers. HOWEVER, not all bbbs are created equal!
It is always best to go bbb hunting in person. That way you can actually hold the brush and see how comfortable the handle is (believe me, this makes a difference when brushing). Also, most importantly, you can "test" the stiffness (or lack thereof) of the boar bristles (on the inside of your wrist or the top of your hand. Fan the bristles and see how much resistance you feel. Most bbs start out stiff and that stiffness disappears with time (alas).

The shape of the brush is another consideration. I like a brush that is long and narrow, with 5 rows of bristles that are NOT packed closely together. Closely packed brushes can't begin to get through my hair. I lost $80.00 many years ago on a much recommend Kent of London brush. It was beautifully made, with long, THICK, closely packed bristles that barely got thru my hair w/o a fight. So disappointing. Kent of London is a well respected firm..but this brush wasn't for my hair.

Also, to cut down on the static with brushing, get a brush that does NOT have a rubber base.

A lot of people here use a Denman or a Mason Pearson brush with great success.

The brush is only as good as how you use it! There is a proper way to brush that makes all the difference in how healthy your hair becomes over time.

And always keep in mind that for the sake of your hair, ALWAYS detangle it first, with a wide tooth comb, never the brush itself. Trying to get a brush thru tangled/snarled/matted hair will end in damaged hair. Don't brush in a hurry or if you've mad! And never, EVER, brush the hair when it is wet. Hair is weakest when wet! This was one of the cardinal rules Dr. Michael stressed in his hair care book.

And, keep the brush free of hair and clean. A brush can't do its job if its full of hair. Sally's beauty supply carries a little metal brush that is meant to clean out your hairbrush. I love it!

I believe in brushing my wavy hair and have been doing so for 4+decades. I brush 100 strokes in the morning. There is no set rule to how many strokes you do. The thing is to be consistent and do the same number each day. My hair is knee length/moderately thick. If you have any other questions about boar bristle brushes, please pm me and I'll try and help.

By the way, a bbb does NOT have to cost an arm and a leg! My favorite brush, made by Goody in the 70's, cost all of $8.00. I bought 3 of them back then and am using the last one know. Alas, I don't believe Goody makes it any longer.

Good luck!