PDA

View Full Version : Sorry so many threads I'm starting today- putting hair up?

polishrose
August 9th, 2014, 06:01 AM
How do I make it stay up? I have French braided it and folded the hair up and over and held it with a clip/ barrette. I pinned flyaway bits. Normally I would spray it with hairspray. Is that a no-no? My hair is so fine it doesn't stay up well at all and doesn't feel secure. I'm really not good at hairstyles. I've always worn it down or in a ponytail. Occasionally a bun held with a net and a million pins. I find it really hard to do anything exciting as my arms ache so quickly.

lapushka
August 9th, 2014, 06:24 AM
How long is your hair, I don't mean in inches, but in milestones (shoulder, APL, ...?), then go from there and try and find styles that work with that length.

Madora
August 9th, 2014, 07:14 AM
How do I make it stay up? I have French braided it and folded the hair up and over and held it with a clip/ barrette. I pinned flyaway bits. Normally I would spray it with hairspray. Is that a no-no? My hair is so fine it doesn't stay up well at all and doesn't feel secure. I'm really not good at hairstyles. I've always worn it down or in a ponytail. Occasionally a bun held with a net and a million pins. I find it really hard to do anything exciting as my arms ache so quickly.

Hairspray just adds more stickness, etc. to your hair and attracts dust and stuff to your hair, making it necessary to wash more frequently. Frequent washing is not good for your hair because it will eventually strip away your hair's natural oil.

Ponytails, if used too frequently, can cause both damage to your hair, and worse yet, traction alopecia (which you definitely don't want!).

You state (in your stats) that your hair is 14 inches long at present. At that length you are limited with what you can do. Braiding is a good way to keep your hair tidy and out of the way. Just be sure not to braid too tightly!

The arm aching is usually due to the fact that you need to gradually accustom your arms to being held upright. It takes a bit of time, but eventually they adapt and updos become easier to achieve.

Flyaway bits (frizzies) can be tamed with a drop or 2 of mineral oil (baby oil). However, you do not apply it directly from the bottle to your scalp. Instead, put a drop or two into a plate, then take a baby swab and coat it with the mineral oil. Then take the coated swab and apply it all over your hands and fingers. Then run your hands through your hair. Continue running your hands through your hair until the sheen on your palms disappears.

Baby oil (mineral oil) is also a great detangler helper and helps moisturize your hair. Always use it sparingly! Added benefits: it is very inexpensive and washes out easily. Johnson and Johnson makes a great baby oil. If you decide to buy some, be sure that it contains no additives. Mineral oil w/additives is less effective.

As far as hairstyles for short hair are concerned, you might want to consider the Peacock Twist or the Gibson Tuck.

For the health of your hair, try to keep it up. Wearing hair down subjects it to tangles, which can lead to damage because of the time required to remove the snarls/tangles. If you feel wearing it down is more comfortable, then braid it, or do the caterpillar braid, which is just a ponytail with soft ponytail holders placed down the hair at intervals. However, it would be healthier for your hair if you found an all in one hairclip (Goody makes them) and use that instead of a ponytail holder.

In any event, good luck on your hair journey. Link to Gibson Tuck tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4EdtIbV-Ag

Johannah
August 9th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Here's a bun progression list (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=82713).

If you're really having trouble with wearing it in a bun, a braid would be a solution until your hair is longer.

Firefox7275
August 9th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Nobody is good at hairstyles until they practice! There are SO many tutorials on YouTube, just keep watching until it clicks. I posted a link to a few quick and easy ones on your other thread. Spin Pins are way faster than U pins.

polishrose
August 9th, 2014, 01:28 PM
My stats are out of date. Oops. I need to measure again but current length is just above apl I think. Thank you all for the advice.

Have bookmarked the post with the bun list :)