View Full Version : Hair typing question

polishrose
August 9th, 2014, 01:25 AM
Am I right in thinking that I should wash and condition my hair as normal and then let it air dry and do absolutely nothing to it, not even comb it?Or should I not condition? I'm actually sat here with wet hair waiting for it it dry so I can take a pic but I did condition so don't know if that will make the results wrong.Can I squish the ends in a towel at all? They're kind of dripping on me lol.

lilin
August 9th, 2014, 03:06 AM
As I understand it, I think you should do whatever your normal wash routine is?

I did "plop it" to soak up the excess when I did the hair typing thing.

lazuliblue
August 9th, 2014, 03:06 AM
If you want a 'true' hair typing picture, you would need to clarify your hair with a clarifying shampoo and then just leave it to air-dry.

However, because (I'm assuming!) that isn't how you do your hair every day, you can get a hair-typing picture of how your hair looks after its normal treatment (e.g. wash and condition if that is your normal routine).

polishrose
August 9th, 2014, 03:13 AM
Here's some pics. The first one is when it was still quite damp

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/polishrose/imagejpg1_zpsee258a08.jpg

These next 2 are from the sides about 30 minutes later

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/polishrose/imagejpg2_zps716968c0.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/polishrose/imagejpg3_zps742ff2e9.jpg

And this last one is still damp

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/polishrose/imagejpg4_zps4ccf3244.jpg

As you can see it's much wavier when wet. It seems to lose the curls and waves as it dries. Any ideas on type so far ? It looks like a mixture to me of 1a/2a/2b.

polishrose
August 9th, 2014, 04:11 AM
Here's a pic of it dry

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/polishrose/imagejpg1_zps0ce3f834.jpg

What would you classify it as? It looks shinier since I did the smt and started wcc.

lapushka
August 9th, 2014, 06:25 AM
That looks like it's 1c/2a.

diddiedaisy
August 9th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Id say it's just about 2a. It looks to wavy to be in the 1's.

Johannah
August 9th, 2014, 09:51 AM
I'd say it's a 2a.

polishrose
August 9th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Thank you all. I shall have to update my stats as I thought it was a 2b but I think I was looking at the waviness when it was wet.

sarahthegemini
August 9th, 2014, 01:58 PM
If you want a 'true' hair typing picture, you would need to clarify your hair with a clarifying shampoo and then just leave it to air-dry.

However, because (I'm assuming!) that isn't how you do your hair every day, you can get a hair-typing picture of how your hair looks after its normal treatment (e.g. wash and condition if that is your normal routine).

I disagree that a clarifying shampoo is required for a 'true' hair typing. Clarifying shampoo by default strips your hair of everything thus leaving it dried out which isn't necessarily the 'true nature ' of one's hair at all!

torrilin
August 9th, 2014, 03:41 PM
The point of hair typing is to describe how your hair acts. For folks in the 3s and 4s, a clarifying shampoo wash with no conditioner just wouldn't work, and that can be a real problem for the Fs too. So it can be a thing to do, and if it's possible to do it it can be informative. If you've got wavy or curly hair, doing several hair typing sequences of washes trying to get maximal curl can be super informative too (whether you take pictures or not).

I'd probably lean towards 2a/2b as a type here. There's no question that you're a wavy. How much wavy... that I'm less sure of. So 2b is a nice medium. And if you're concerned about it looking "too straight", 2a/2b works too.

polishrose
August 9th, 2014, 03:57 PM
The point of hair typing is to describe how your hair acts. For folks in the 3s and 4s, a clarifying shampoo wash with no conditioner just wouldn't work, and that can be a real problem for the Fs too. So it can be a thing to do, and if it's possible to do it it can be informative. If you've got wavy or curly hair, doing several hair typing sequences of washes trying to get maximal curl can be super informative too (whether you take pictures or not).

I'd probably lean towards 2a/2b as a type here. There's no question that you're a wavy. How much wavy... that I'm less sure of. So 2b is a nice medium. And if you're concerned about it looking "too straight", 2a/2b works too.

Do you think my hair will get more wavy now that I'm looking after it properly? What did you mean by doing the sequences of hair typing washes? I think I do need to clarify because I haven't done it for years and we have hard water here. I wouldn't want to leave my hair without conditioner though.

spidermom
August 9th, 2014, 04:11 PM
I'm thinking 1C. What I think I see (but could be completely wrong) is not so much waves but bends from the hair being tangled up as it dried. I imagine that if you were to brush out your hair before washing, then wash and condition without messing your hair all around, it would look straighter after drying.

But I can't claim to know for sure.

torrilin
August 9th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Do you think my hair will get more wavy now that I'm looking after it properly? What did you mean by doing the sequences of hair typing washes? I think I do need to clarify because I haven't done it for years and we have hard water here. I wouldn't want to leave my hair without conditioner though.

There's really no way to tell how it will go with proper care. I kinda don't even like the term "proper" since that implies that there is one right goal. Do you care about length only? Do you care about minimal damage the most? Are you someone who can't stand grey hairs, or who uses hair dye for the antidepressant effect? There are lots of goals you can have for your hair, and the way you go about it will vary based on your goals. Wanting to maximize your curl or wave is definitely *a* goal you could pick. Is it the right goal? I'm not you, so I dunno.

Most of the time when I wash my hair, I braid or bun it while it's still pretty wet. I don't let it air dry loose and unmanipulated. The drying without touching part is pretty key for any sort of hair typing. Say you plan to try out the plopping method... planning ahead so you can fully air dry will let you see how it works for you. A week or two later, the timing might work out for something else. Just take your time, try stuff, maybe take pictures or notes or what have you. Get a feel for the range of possibilities with your hair.

(and well, I'm currently hanging out around tailbone... it's a lot of freaking hair to dry.)

Sparklylady82
August 9th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Hello! Right now I think you are 2a on the canopy and 2b underneath when wet. It's hard to tell. When your hair is dry it looks 1c/2a. Hmmm...maybe try clarifying shampoo and cone-free conditioner. Make sure to use a wide tooth comb in the shower with tons of conditioner to get it detangled before you get put of shower. That way it's already detangled when you get out and you can just lightly pat dry. Take a new photo when it's completely dry and we can decide :-)

Sparklylady82
August 9th, 2014, 08:31 PM
For an example here is my photo typing pic:
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a517/haleyemily06/FD56B453-4EC6-462F-9128-6D573F158537_zpsrujjqdu0.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/haleyemily06/media/FD56B453-4EC6-462F-9128-6D573F158537_zpsrujjqdu0.jpg.html)
I am 2b-2c because I have a few ringlets underneath.

ExpectoPatronum
August 10th, 2014, 12:13 AM
I'd say 1c. Your hair looks like it has more body wave than S shaped waves

polishrose
August 10th, 2014, 05:04 AM
I didn't brush it after washing and conditioning at all. I put a towel on top of it and patted it down to get a bit of the wetness off and then put the towel on my shoulders and left it. I combed it before washing. If I squish it like I usually do in a towel after washing it gets wavier but I just left it this time. I'm going to try clarifying shampoo next time I wash because I haven't done that for years literally and my hair feels limp. I used to have curls as a toddler. Then dead straight hair as a child. Then after my babies it got wavier and wavier. My hair is weird. I'll see if I can find a pic of it before I ever started dyeing it.

polishrose
August 10th, 2014, 05:08 AM
Torrilin what I would love ultimately is healthy hair and more waves. I don't expect at this time to be able to grow much beyond BSL. I never could even as a child.

polishrose
August 17th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Here's a new pic. This morning I used clarifying shampoo then conditioned twice. I have been using coconut oil on the ends every night.
I did pin my front bit back cos it was getting in my eyes but it hasn't been touched other than that.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/polishrose/imagejpg1_zpscd6befa1.jpg

lapushka
August 17th, 2014, 08:19 AM
I'd still say 1c/2a.

polishrose
August 17th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Darn. Was so hoping to get rid of that 1c lol

lapushka
August 17th, 2014, 05:17 PM

Why? I'm sure it doesn't matter *that* much! It is what it is. :shrug:

Dickiebow
August 17th, 2014, 05:22 PM

Your hair type may change as you grow out the bleach. Hopefully for you it will get more waves :D

polishrose
August 17th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Why? I'm sure it doesn't matter *that* much! It is what it is. :shrug:

I had dead straight hair as a child. Always wanted curls. It's my dream to have long curly or at least wavy hair. :)