PDA

View Full Version : Is this breakage?

Donyyful
August 8th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Hey guys! Just wanted to ask something thats been bothering me lately about my hair.

So whenever I do a hot oil treatment with coconut oil, I am SUPER gentle with my hair when i massage my scalp and apply it to my length of my hair with my fingers only. There are no tangles and knots whenever I do so because my hair is dead bone straight and is silky. I am able to oil my hair with ease.

However, when I look at my hands, I see these little black dots on the palm of my hands, not a lot, but quite a few here and there. Because of the fact that they are black, and my hair is black, I automatically think and assume its breakage. But today I got frustrated because I looked to see my hands after I oiled my hair and there were quite a few. Note that this only appears when I oil my hair.

I took a magnifying glass to see what this little black dots were, and they look like pieces of my hair. However, when I began to play with it such as rolling it, trying to break it apart with my thumb etc, they begin to disintegrate fairly easily. I then look at it again with a magnifying glass and it looks furry? They come in different lengths, some are really really tiny, and some are a bit bigger, but no more than the size of a a tiny beauty spot.

I did another experiment where I cut a little piece of my hair, the same size and looked at it through a magnifying glass again, they looked fairly identical. I then began to roll it and play about with it, and looked at it again, and it didn't look furry or as if it was coming apart. I didn't manage to make it look like how it did to the first piece of hair no matter no how much force or pressure I placed on it.

So i'm so confused and slightly annoyed to whether these pieces of black dots are breakage, or just random dust particles because they are a similar thickness to my hair and the same colour. My hair is pretty thick and so breakage is very rare for me, but it seems like its so noticeable or '' increases '' when I oil my hair.

What do you guys think? Am i just being a tad bit obsessed? :p

x

MINAKO
August 8th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Do you wear alot of black clothing? First conclusion i'm jumping on after your description is dust!
My hair gets dusty too, as i only wash once a week and sometimes i find stuff in there that identical to the color of a sweater i have previously worn.
Could also be something that you get from your towels, or bedsheets whatsoever. If it disintegrates when you rub it between you fingers, there is NO way that this is hair unless you are using something heavily alkaline or acidic and that isn't the case with coconut oil.

mamaherrera
August 8th, 2014, 10:58 PM
I get these hairs. . . that I swore could not be my hairs, because they were very thin and kinky, like fuzz off of clothes. But low and behold, there are some of these that grow on my head, I saw one today. super thin (compared to my thick strands) and black and kinky kinky, but they grow more than little dots, they grow probably 3-4 inches and fall out, I guess they are sick hairs, who knows! But it's weird what can grow out of your head, eh? I even find sometimes shed thin hairs, 1 inch long, who knows, maybe they are from my neck.

MINAKO
August 9th, 2014, 12:01 AM
What about dead hair folicle bulbs being removed and spread by the massage? It doesn't sound like entire hairs tho, no matter how thin, the dont just fall apart.
That part is somewhat mushy/moist and could disintegrate by rubbing. I never noticed any on myself, but on black hair it happens that these little tubes can have enogh pigment to look like a piece of hair. I sometimes notice them when tweezing eyebrows and they are very losely attached to the root of the hair. Dunno... I'm just guessing, would actually be interesting what it looks like. Do you have a camera with macro setting to take a pic?

Firefox7275
August 9th, 2014, 05:17 AM
Sounds like lint.

Donyyful
August 9th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Do you wear alot of black clothing? First conclusion i'm jumping on after your description is dust!
My hair gets dusty too, as i only wash once a week and sometimes i find stuff in there that identical to the color of a sweater i have previously worn.
Could also be something that you get from your towels, or bedsheets whatsoever. If it disintegrates when you rub it between you fingers, there is NO way that this is hair unless you are using something heavily alkaline or acidic and that isn't the case with coconut oil.

Not particularly black, but I wear quite a lot of dark clothing i.e. grey, indigo, etc.
That makes a lot of sense! Phew :o Thanks for your reply! x

Donyyful
August 9th, 2014, 06:12 AM
I get these hairs. . . that I swore could not be my hairs, because they were very thin and kinky, like fuzz off of clothes. But low and behold, there are some of these that grow on my head, I saw one today. super thin (compared to my thick strands) and black and kinky kinky, but they grow more than little dots, they grow probably 3-4 inches and fall out, I guess they are sick hairs, who knows! But it's weird what can grow out of your head, eh? I even find sometimes shed thin hairs, 1 inch long, who knows, maybe they are from my neck.

I get these too! Today when I woke up and was massaging my hair again with the coconut oil that was left overnight, I looked at my hands and I saw a very small kinky kinky piece of hair, about 1cm long. I knew this was my hair because when I tried to pull on it, it was very difficult to break off. I have loads around the side of my hair, under my neck and at the back of my ears.

Donyyful
August 9th, 2014, 06:15 AM
What about dead hair folicle bulbs being removed and spread by the massage? It doesn't sound like entire hairs tho, no matter how thin, the dont just fall apart.
That part is somewhat mushy/moist and could disintegrate by rubbing. I never noticed any on myself, but on black hair it happens that these little tubes can have enogh pigment to look like a piece of hair. I sometimes notice them when tweezing eyebrows and they are very losely attached to the root of the hair. Dunno... I'm just guessing, would actually be interesting what it looks like. Do you have a camera with macro setting to take a pic?

That could be a possibility, but i've never seen that black bulb part appear after a hair has shed or when I'm manipulating my hair etc. It only happens when I tweeze my eyebrows too :p

I unfortunately don't! If only you guys were able to see through my magnifying glass too :rant:

Donyyful
August 9th, 2014, 06:17 AM
Sounds like lint.

I think so too!

lapushka
August 9th, 2014, 06:21 AM
That's *really* odd. Do you have a picture?

Donyyful
August 9th, 2014, 08:54 AM
That's *really* odd. Do you have a picture?

My camera would not be able to capture how it really looks like close up. It just looks like dots here and there :(

Johannah
August 9th, 2014, 09:11 AM
For me, this sounds like dust from your clothes and not hairs. But I'm not 100% sure. But if it's breakage, you'd also have this when you brush/comb your hair. If you brush your hair, and you don't see anything, I highly doubt it's breakage.

Chromis
August 9th, 2014, 10:06 AM
I'm thinking lint. I used to have a set of blue flannel sheets that gave me something similar, and when I looked under strong light, the "dust" was the same colour!

I'd take your hand lens outside on a bright, overcast day and put them on white paper to see if the are the same colour as your hair.

Donyyful
August 9th, 2014, 11:11 AM
For me, this sounds like dust from your clothes and not hairs. But I'm not 100% sure. But if it's breakage, you'd also have this when you brush/comb your hair. If you brush your hair, and you don't see anything, I highly doubt it's breakage.

I never use a comb or a brush, I only use my fingers and so it most likely is dust then, yay! Although I still do get breakage though here and there, but very minimal :'(

Donyyful
August 9th, 2014, 11:12 AM
I'm thinking lint. I used to have a set of blue flannel sheets that gave me something similar, and when I looked under strong light, the "dust" was the same colour!

I'd take your hand lens outside on a bright, overcast day and put them on white paper to see if the are the same colour as your hair.

I never thought about that! I shall try that, thanks for the tip! x

MINAKO
August 9th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Hah, i was curious to come back to this. So no breakage, yaaay! :disco:

Donyyful
August 9th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Hah, i was curious to come back to this. So no breakage, yaaay! :disco:

Yes i'm so relieved aha, its been ages I wanted to figure this out, but I wouldn't have been able to without the help from you lovely people! Thanks a lot again everyone! x :o

MINAKO
August 9th, 2014, 11:47 AM
I have just visited your blog and WOOOOOW does your hair look healthy and shiny :crush: !!!
WIll be a long time for you to expirience any serious damage, if at all, since you take such good care of your hair.
Wish mine was that straight and glossy. :flower:

silvurgrin
August 9th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Very strange. Good luck figuring it out!

Donyyful
August 10th, 2014, 11:00 AM
I have just visited your blog and WOOOOOW does your hair look healthy and shiny :crush: !!!
WIll be a long time for you to expirience any serious damage, if at all, since you take such good care of your hair.
Wish mine was that straight and glossy. :flower:

Thank you Minako! I would love to trade my hair with yours, the thickness, the length and especially the waves are to die for. *__*

Donyyful
August 10th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Very strange. Good luck figuring it out!

Thank you!