PDA

View Full Version : Fairy knots (single strand knots) on straight hair

Larki
August 8th, 2014, 01:34 PM
I occasionally find fairy knots in my hair, and I tried to look up info on them, but apparently they're only really common in curly hair? What causes them in straight hair, and can I do anything about them?

islandboo
August 8th, 2014, 01:47 PM
I am surprised to hear that they are only common on curly hair because I am as straight as can be and I get them. I have no idea what causes them (other than mischievous fairies, of course)

panffle
August 8th, 2014, 02:33 PM
I get those too. Whoever told you they're only common in curly hair doesn't know what they're saying :P And I don't think anyone really knows what causes them... I just S&D them out.

chen bao jun
August 8th, 2014, 02:41 PM
I think they are a form of split end. I can lessen them, as a curly, by keeping the ends of my hair straight, but that's not useful for you since your hair is already straight! I find that occasional mild protein treatments also make them less, but I'm never rid of them, you do have to S & D them out.
I never heard that people with straight hair don't get them, just that they are much more common for tightly curlies. Sometimes they are like a plague for me, when I only have a few, I'm happy. I don't expect they will ever completely go away--unless I flat-iron. When I had my hair chemically straightened, I never saw a one--but then again, my hair wasn't as long as it is now. I don't get them in my bangs, so they do only appear in longer (hence older) hair. It's a from of damage.

Anje
August 8th, 2014, 02:45 PM
I notice I get them more when I'm using more silicones. Maybe I wear my hair loose more when I use silicones, though I don't think I do... In any case, they're weird little things.

Shibe
August 8th, 2014, 03:34 PM
I got one in my bangs the other day after I tried wearing my hair up in a wrap and it fell off.

Sadly snipping them off is the only way

cathair
August 8th, 2014, 04:08 PM
I don't have straight hair... but I have seen them form. I saw it when I had a few strands tangled together, I tried to remove some of the strands from the tangle, until there was one strand left with a knot in it I couldn't get out. I believe they can form on their own when hair tangles, but the other strands work themselves loose on their own.

silvurgrin
August 8th, 2014, 08:18 PM
I haven't seen any in a very long time, but I used to get them all the time when I was brutal to my hair. I just always snipped them off.

EdG
August 8th, 2014, 08:21 PM
I used to get single-strand knots on my straight hair. They seem to be caused by untangling hair that is still wet enough to clump together. Now, I untangle only when my hair is dry or nearly-dry. That has greatly reduced the occurrence of single-strand knots.
Ed

Larki
August 8th, 2014, 08:23 PM
I used to get single-strand knots on my straight hair. They seem to be caused by untangling hair that is still wet enough to clump together. Now, I untangle only when my hair is dry or nearly-dry. That has greatly reduced the occurrence of single-strand knots.
Ed

This isn't the case for me, because I don't touch my hair until it's dry. :p I have no idea what the deal is with my hair.

chen bao jun
August 8th, 2014, 09:15 PM
It seems random. I definitely get them more when I DON'T use silicones.
If I don't snip them, other hair keeps catching on them and then I have to do even more snipping. fortunately they form close to the ends but I still feel I'm snipping a lot of hair off sometimes.
My mom never gets them and she is a super curly (probably 4c). she gets huge tangles but didn't even what I was talking about when I said that one hair just simply knots itself and the whole bottom inch of my hair turns into velcro when I get enough of them doing that. A trim makes it better for a bit--but I got one two weeks ago and here they are again.

Elyse M.
August 8th, 2014, 09:27 PM
When I start getting them I know it's time for a trim. It also sometimes happens after I wear ponytail bands.

MINAKO
August 8th, 2014, 09:54 PM
I S&D for the reason of single strand knots only. I don't get many, but i cant stand them. On my hair, they have nothing to do with damage, i mostly find them in new growth just above the tapered end, sometime i find even hairs that have two knots within the last 1/4 inch, really weird. To loop thrpough itself is not difficult for my hair tho i guess, on a 2C at least it's somewhat logical i guess, while i cant really see how the would for on poker straight hair. I get alot less or none when i freshly keratin'ed, which keeps my ends pretty smooth. Sometimes i also get them in my baby hairs, which is definitely a result of pillow rubbing and i do sleep on silk... maybe i go with the fairy theory as i don't really see an option to permanently avoid those little buggers.

Briella
August 9th, 2014, 12:51 AM
I get these too. I've always been puzzled by how they manage to get themselves tangled, as my hair is fairly straight. I've never been able to find the reason for them. I'm just happy I don't get tons of them. I hate cutting otherwise healthy hair off!