PDA

View Full Version : SPLAT hair dye stained my scalp, what to do?

NatNat
August 8th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Hi everyone,

On Wednesday I decided to use a purple dye from the brand SPLAT over my dark brown hair. The result was a lovely magenta color, however the dye stained my scalp pretty badly :( I've washed and scrubbed my head 5x since, and it has gotten a little better but it still isn't great. Does anyone have any remedies I could try? Sick of having a dark purple hair part!!

Thanks all :)

shutterpillar
August 8th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Splat color did this to my scalp in 2010 when I used one of their purple colors. Unfortunately there was not much I could do and just had to wait it out. :( I tried everything the internet suggested, too. Toothpaste helped the most out of everything, but the color lingered on my scalp for a good week at least. I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful. :( Hopefully someone else has a good suggestion that will work for you.

MINAKO
August 8th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Have you tried a heavy scalp oiling with massage before the wash? That usually solves the problem for me. I CO wash, so afterwards aplly a good amount of caffeine condish to my scalp and gently brush so it emulsifies the oil and exfoliates a bit. If i get anything on my face i go to be with glycolic acid cream on that area and scrub away the next morning. Usually most of the stain can bed removed with babyoil immediately tho. Never used splat dye, so i'm not aware of how intense that would be on the skin, but i'm sure you will be fine in a few days. And hey, you obviously like the color on your hair, that's a good thing! :o

tiny squirrel
August 8th, 2014, 10:46 AM
I had this happen with the Red SPLAT dye. For me, it only lasted a couple of days. I have no GOOD suggestion, but I wore half ups or combed my hair back before putting in a bun or pony tale. It didn't fix the problem, but it hid the annoyingly bright part until the dye faded.

NatNat
August 8th, 2014, 11:57 AM
That's a good idea MINAKO, I'll try an oiling.

It's sad that this dye does this, I definitely won't be buying it again, no matter how much I like the color :(

Thanks for the responses ladies!

Firefox7275
August 8th, 2014, 12:57 PM
All semi permanents stain the skin AFAIK, perhaps related to skin hair and nails all being largely keratin.

Washed five times over what period? Nail polish remover will clean up your hairline and you could probably do your part with a cotton bud/ swab, I just wait out the rest of the scalp. Most or all comes off the next wash (two to three days later), I'm guessing as the top layer of skin sloughs off.

NatNat
August 8th, 2014, 01:16 PM
All semi permanents stain the skin AFAIK, perhaps related to skin hair and nails all being largely keratin.

Washed five times over what period? Nail polish remover will clean up your hairline and you could probably do your part with a cotton bud/ swab, I just wait out the rest of the scalp. Most or all comes off the next wash (two to three days later), I'm guessing as the top layer of skin sloughs off.

I washed twice on Wednesday, Twice on Thursday, and once this morning with still a lot of purple left over. I also bought some make up remover wipes that are slowly taking it off, but you are probably right, the waiting game it is :/

jacqueline101
August 8th, 2014, 01:46 PM
At the dollar tree they have hair dye remover wipes try those.

PinkyCat
August 8th, 2014, 01:55 PM
I'll second the nail polish remover - I was shocked at how well this works.

torrilin
August 8th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I'd just live with it. Depending on how fussy you are about staying clean, it could take a week or two for enough skin cells to die and let you get all the stained layers of dead skin cells off your scalp.

Since I'm pretty pale, a *lot* of different products stain my skin. The "right" lipstick can give me red lips for a week at a time from how much my skin gets stained. And since I've worn gel eyeliner two days in a row, odds are good it has stained my eyelids and I'll look like I'm wearing eyeliner for a week no matter how much I wash. You get used to it :) And well, I always like eyeliner the best when it's super duper subtle, so my "eyeliner" tomorrow should be amazing ;).