PDA

View Full Version : Super Soaker Method for Wavy/Curly Hair?

ExpectoPatronum
August 7th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Do any other wavies/curlies use this method? I tried it a while ago while I was CG and loved it. I decided to try it again today and this is definitely going to be my new styling routine. I used to do it every time I washed and I would consistently get good results.

Here's a link that explains what it is: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-hair-care-methods/community-piece-super-soaker-method-for-promoting-clumps/

What I do:
*Note: I do this in the shower. You could probably do it over the sink if you wanted.
Wash and condition as normal.
Apply Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie as a leave in and *gently* detangle using my Denman brush (another rediscovered favorite of mine). I will also part my hair at this time.
Apply Shea Moisture Curl and Style Souffle gel. I usually scrunch the product in.
Super soak sections!
Get out the shower and then plop for 10-15 minutes.
(Can you tell I like the Shea Moisture Curl line?)

This method gives me the best results as far as frizz-free curls go. I also love the clumps and how I don't have to do anything else outside of the shower.

Just a disclaimer - This probably isn't the method for you if you like big poofy curls.

shutterpillar
August 7th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Interesting! I had not tried it, but my first thought upon reading the title was that it might have something to do with the Super Soaker squirt gun toys from my childhood. I'm kind of relieved to see this is not the case. :lol:

shutterpillar
August 7th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Also adding that the link is not working when I click on it for some reason. It's giving me a "404 - Page not found" error.

ExpectoPatronum
August 7th, 2014, 02:54 PM
I fixed the link. It works now :)

Yeah, the name of the method is a bit funny! I love it though.

jeanniet
August 7th, 2014, 02:57 PM
I don't; it's just an extra step for me, and I'm trying to streamline. I just put whatever in soaking wet hair and then plop, and that works fine. But SS is quite popular, so definitely worth trying out!

lapushka
August 7th, 2014, 05:25 PM
I haven't noticed any difference in frizziness or clumping (as far as waves "clump"); whether the LOC method is done on dripping wet hair or damp, it makes no difference. Maybe it's because I'm not curly. I don't know.

Syren_Curls
August 7th, 2014, 05:41 PM
This was just recommended to me within the last week or week and a half on another thread. I'm not sure how I am feeling about it just yet. Tonight/tomorrow morning is a wash day so I will be trying it again.

ExpectoPatronum, what is it that you are noticing about your hair with this? I noticed your disclaimer and wondered what this does for you.

ExpectoPatronum
August 7th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Syren_Curls, It really brings out the curly texture of my hair without it a) feeling crunchy or sticky from the gel (a problem I had been having) and b) keeps the frizz at bay. My curls lay very nice on my head and are in good sized clumps instead of just being smaller sections that poof and frizz out everywhere. It's a small extra step that makes a load of a difference for my hair for some odd reason or another. I hope that explains it well. My mom comments that my hair looks "less messy" when I do it this way.

Lapushka, I used the LOC method for a very long time and I use it if I plan on wearing my hair up instead of wavy (I noticed we have the same wave pattern!). I found that when I want to leave my hair curly, that extra step makes a really big difference for my hair.

Syren_Curls
August 7th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Thanks... that makes a lot of sense. It was suggested to me when I asked for some recommendations on increasing clumping after changing my routine a bit. I guess I'll need to keep playing with it a bit more. I'm glad it's been working well for you, though :-)

lapushka
August 8th, 2014, 04:13 AM
Lapushka, I used the LOC method for a very long time and I use it if I plan on wearing my hair up instead of wavy (I noticed we have the same wave pattern!). I found that when I want to leave my hair curly, that extra step makes a really big difference for my hair.

I've been using LOC for years, unwittingly because it's part of the curly girl method, and I just did that (modified, though). I use it when wearing the hair down or up, doesn't matter for me (but I wear it mostly up (6 days out of 7), because of its length).

MINAKO
August 8th, 2014, 06:09 AM
I haven't noticed any difference in frizziness or clumping (as far as waves "clump"); whether the LOC method is done on dripping wet hair or damp, it makes no difference. Maybe it's because I'm not curly. I don't know.

Same for me, my waves just wont behave, so they go rigth into a bun.