PDA

View Full Version : Oh for the love of all that is hairy...is that a...?

Kherome
August 7th, 2014, 08:19 AM
Do you see it?

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj135/iwasbornonahorse/899aab15-909a-44a4-ba82-c3b8be265d32_zpsddd73bba.jpg (http://s271.photobucket.com/user/iwasbornonahorse/media/899aab15-909a-44a4-ba82-c3b8be265d32_zpsddd73bba.jpg.html)

Is that...is it...a WHITE hair?!?!?

It's finally happened, I guess I can no longer pick on my husband for his grey hair. And right before my birthday too. :rolleyes:

cathair
August 7th, 2014, 08:26 AM
It does look like it, congratulations! :) Time to head over to the Salt n Pepper thread :)

schnibbles
August 7th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Is it white? It looks kinda blonde?
Don't worry... I have quite a few - I was just a little upset when I found the first, but you get used to it. :toast:

Kherome
August 7th, 2014, 08:41 AM
No, I tried to convince myself it was sun bleached but if I am honest it is snowy white from root, all the way to my CL tips.

Nadine <3
August 7th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Looks more blonde to me to be honest. :o

islandboo
August 7th, 2014, 09:00 AM
If it makes you feel better, I had my first silver at 33. Here I am 15 years later and I still have to hunt to find one in my hair. (There are a few but probably fewer than a dozen. I am one of the people who really like the look of salt and pepper so it is annoying me that they are so reluctant to show up in force)

Kherome
August 7th, 2014, 09:13 AM
I am not even 33! I didn't expect this yet.

Éowyn_GreyEyes
August 7th, 2014, 09:19 AM
I'm 17 and I've had occasional silvers since I was 13 but really.... My hair is the kind with natural little highlights so they pretty much blend with the other random blondes :P

Éowyn_GreyEyes
August 7th, 2014, 09:20 AM
I'm 17 and I've had occasional silvers since I was 13 but really.... My hair is the kind with natural little highlights so they pretty much blend with the other random blondes :P

Plus I used to pluck them out (maybe a couple a year at most) but I've decided that if they want to live on my head soooo badly I might as well let them hahaha

Anje
August 7th, 2014, 09:37 AM
I'm surprised you lasted this long. I've been finding scattered silvers since I was 12. At 32, I've got a few dozen of them now.

SnowbirdRose
August 7th, 2014, 10:04 AM
If it makes you feel better, I had my first silver at 33. Here I am 15 years later and I still have to hunt to find one in my hair. (There are a few but probably fewer than a dozen. I am one of the people who really like the look of salt and pepper so it is annoying me that they are so reluctant to show up in force) I'm like you islandboo. Same age as well. I've got a dozen or so silvers. But they are scattered about. Are we going to have to wait 15 more years to see a silver streak? And Kherome, I can remember riding the school bus and seeing a dark haired girl with salt and pepper hair. My younger sisters have more grey hair than I do.

Wosie
August 7th, 2014, 11:02 AM
I found my first white/silver hair earlier this spring and since then I think I've seen at least another one... Of course there might be more hiding in the back. :o

Khristopher
August 7th, 2014, 11:26 AM
A classic length single white? That must look adorable! I discovered two short whites a few weeks ago, but I remember having whites at age 14... They come and go. And I did dye my hair a lot so I didn't have the chance to track them. Your hair looks really nice btw, Kherome!

akuamoonmaui
August 7th, 2014, 08:50 PM
It's not a white/gray hair.... it's a SPARKLE!

lilin
August 7th, 2014, 08:55 PM

This! :D

I found my first at 24. Don't feel bad.

Honestly, I was just fascinated when I found it. They're pretty.

lapushka
August 8th, 2014, 04:08 AM
Quite a milestone, but it doesn't mean much in the sense of graying. IMO you don't gray unless there's an active process that means they're multiplying at a set rate, and that can still take a while before you get to that. I found the first in my early twenties. I'm 42 now and about 2% gray, not much increase in over 2 decades.

Johannah
August 8th, 2014, 04:51 AM
I've found my first when I was 13, don't worry! Like lapushka said, it doesn't mean you'll be gray tomorrow.

Siowiel
August 8th, 2014, 04:58 AM
Well, it does look white, yes.

But it also looks... somewhat strange to me, like it is thicker/coarser than the rest of your hair, making me wonder if it is just one of those "off" hairs that spring up from time to time and when plugged, never grow back. I found a single white EYELASH a few weeks ago (I never found a white hair in my eyebrows or in my hair, but I use henna, so it would be hard to tell...) and plucked it, and in its place, there's a black one growing now.

Kherome
August 8th, 2014, 06:39 AM
A classic length single white? That must look adorable! I discovered two short whites a few weeks ago, but I remember having whites at age 14... They come and go. And I did dye my hair a lot so I didn't have the chance to track them. Your hair looks really nice btw, Kherome!

Thanks!

Haha, gee thanks! You have no idea how surprised I was to see it there!

Well, it does look white, yes.

But it also looks... somewhat strange to me, like it is thicker/coarser than the rest of your hair, making me wonder if it is just one of those "off" hairs that spring up from time to time and when plugged, never grow back. I found a single white EYELASH a few weeks ago (I never found a white hair in my eyebrows or in my hair, but I use henna, so it would be hard to tell...) and plucked it, and in its place, there's a black one growing now.

That is actually correct, it is thicker/coarser than the others. But I thought that was normal for grey or white hair? I thought it naturally got coarser when it changed?

lilin
August 8th, 2014, 07:11 AM
My couple white hairs are a different texture from my brunette hair. I do believe that's fairly typical.

RapunzelKat
August 8th, 2014, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't worry about it, I've got a couple of these too. (Also a couple really dark hairs that don't fit in at all :shrug:)

If it's at classic, it's been around for quite a while (I think my hair takes about 7 years to get to classic?). If it hasn't brought any friends along in the meantime, you're probably good. :grnbiggri

Anje
August 8th, 2014, 10:56 AM
That is actually correct, it is thicker/coarser than the others. But I thought that was normal for grey or white hair? I thought it naturally got coarser when it changed?
I think it varies by person. Mine are just as fine and soft as the rest of my hair, which is also the case for my mom. (What hair my dad has, has always been coarse and sproingy, whether it was black or white.)

Briella
August 9th, 2014, 02:47 AM
I think it's more blonde than white. I know the feeling though. I discovered a hair that was white for about 25 inches a few years ago. It must have started growing like that when I was around 15 years old! On closer inspection (and after a huge freakout) I realised it was just very pale blonde. At least that's what I'm telling myself :pray:

LilyMarleen
August 11th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Don't worry. It's just a natural highlight. :D

If I'm honest, I on the one hand can't wait to find my first one and on the other hand hope that I got my granny's and not my mom's hair. My granny took forever to get grays and has still been more pepper than salt with over 80. My mom has been totally white for quite some years now. Good thing that there's such as hair colors because she doesn't like white hair on herself.

ErinLeigh
August 11th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Does it have a friend or is that just camera lighting by your thumb?

GoddesJourney
August 11th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Haha. You can definitely still pick on your husband for his grey hair! How many do you have? ONE! How many does he have…? Yeah, exactly. :)

Alarice
August 11th, 2014, 10:52 PM
Wow, (some of) you guys are the first people I've heard about who started getting white hairs younger than I did (around 16 or so). I have multiple ones, but so far the ones I have keep themselves well-hidden. For a while I took them out, but for the last year or so I've been letting them grow...partly 'cause there aren't enough (yet) for me to really care, and partly out of curiosity about what they'll look like if I henna my hair again. :p A lot of the ones I have are what I call "kitty cat hair" too: mostly dark, with a length of white at the end.

bekstamonkey
August 11th, 2014, 10:56 PM
I'm 34 and I have a LOT of whites (white, not grey, not blonde lol). Granted, my henna covers most of them...but since I only henna every 4-5 months or so, they show up pretty well in my regrowth (actually, its usually this which pushes me to do my roots!). Noticed the other day I have a little patch of more-whites-than-browns on one of my temples...I have a 'distinguished white streak' coming in! LOL :)