PDA

View Full Version : My hair is unevenly cut, should I even it out or ignore it?

Estrid
August 7th, 2014, 05:13 AM
Hey everyone!

I allowed my mother to cut my hair in december, an asymmetrical haircut. In the end of may I decided to "even it out" and sadly my hair was too short to use any special techniques (+ I am bad at cutting) and I ended up with a quite rough cut. Now my hair is at shoulder length and I just want to get long hair, in a year I will probably have apl if I dont even it out at a hairdresser before that.

If I decide to even it out at least 8 cm (a little more than 3 inches) would have to be cut off, which is alot to me.

Would you even it out or ignore the weird layers? Do people notice if a person got thick uneven layers?

I got quite recent pictures of my hair in that thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125094

Is it very noticeable? :/

Just noticed I could edit, putting new pic here:

http://oi61.tinypic.com/o5nsep.jpg

lilalong
August 7th, 2014, 05:14 AM
Judging from the pictures, it looks completely fine to me.

Estrid
August 7th, 2014, 05:19 AM
Maybe I should take new pictures. The shine on the hair hides them a bit... In some areas I have half of my hair cut off at another lenght than the rest... I don't think I will ever dare to cut layers on my own ever again.

Tini'sNewHair
August 7th, 2014, 05:24 AM
Looks fine to me as well

Estrid
August 7th, 2014, 05:29 AM
It looks like this:

http://oi61.tinypic.com/o5nsep.jpg

I haven't brushed my hair in the pic and I just showered a while ago, but it shows how weirdly I cut it >_>

Lyv
August 7th, 2014, 05:33 AM
I think you should just leave it. I'm growing out a pixie so I have lots of weird looking layers in mine but it's really only noticeable if I point it out. I try to keep mine pinned back most of the time so it bothers me less.

Estrid
August 7th, 2014, 05:59 AM
Alright, I sure want to just ignore it, so the fact that it don't show much from the side is promising :) I see it mostly from the front (the picture I added).

Thanks for all answers :)

lapushka
August 7th, 2014, 06:09 AM
I would leave it alone. Maybe the reason why you're so bothered by it, is because you're at an awkward length (lots of people get the itch to cut right then), so... here's a vote to ignore.

torrilin
August 7th, 2014, 06:20 AM
Your hair is pretty wavy for shoulder length in that pic. If that's an unbrushed pic, the ones in your hair typing thread must be brushed... so you're probably a solid 2 something. Most 1c pictures I've seen (including my own) look dead straight at the same length, unless you know exactly where to look to see the beginnings of waves.

The waves and clumping work with the layers and make them look intentional. I would just ignore whatever is feeling weird about the cut to you, and get on with growing. 3 inches is about 6 months worth of growing for most people, and most of us don't grow hair precisely evenly. Odds are good that the bits that feel weird now will not feel as weird once you're past APL :).

Something else to keep in mind if you want hair past waist length... The super straight, very blunt hemlines that look good on BSL hair to a lot of people tend to not work as well on longer hair. You can go for super blunt if that's the look you like. But fairy tale ends can look spectacular on long hair too, and they make styling a lot more convenient.

Estrid
August 7th, 2014, 06:39 AM
Your hair is pretty wavy for shoulder length in that pic. If that's an unbrushed pic, the ones in your hair typing thread must be brushed... so you're probably a solid 2 something. Most 1c pictures I've seen (including my own) look dead straight at the same length, unless you know exactly where to look to see the beginnings of waves.

The waves and clumping work with the layers and make them look intentional. I would just ignore whatever is feeling weird about the cut to you, and get on with growing. 3 inches is about 6 months worth of growing for most people, and most of us don't grow hair precisely evenly. Odds are good that the bits that feel weird now will not feel as weird once you're past APL :).

Something else to keep in mind if you want hair past waist length... The super straight, very blunt hemlines that look good on BSL hair to a lot of people tend to not work as well on longer hair. You can go for super blunt if that's the look you like. But fairy tale ends can look spectacular on long hair too, and they make styling a lot more convenient.

The hair in the other thread is not brushed, but on this new picture i didn't handle it as carefully as I did in that other thread (I've rubbed it with the towel when it was wet and it wasnt 100% dry in the new picture). My hair tend to take off in the ends, making big waves. Im not sure about what type my hair is yet, but I've put 1b/1c temporarily.

But you are right, the waves do hide them quite well, it would be alot worse if my hair was stick straight. :)

I think I will let them be and just let it grow... However, a question: how do you get fairy tale ends? I want to trim my hair myself when it gets longer, will that ruin it? Maybe I can find the answer to that question by asking google, haha :p

Estrid
August 7th, 2014, 06:41 AM
I would leave it alone. Maybe the reason why you're so bothered by it, is because you're at an awkward length (lots of people get the itch to cut right then), so... here's a vote to ignore.

It will probably be a lot less noticeable when my hair is longer, you're right :)

spidermom
August 7th, 2014, 06:41 AM
Find ways to pull it back and power through. I grew out a pixie, and it was much worse at that length.

cathair
August 7th, 2014, 06:49 AM
The hair in the other thread is not brushed, but on this new picture i didn't handle it as carefully as I did in that other thread (I've rubbed it with the towel when it was wet and it wasnt 100% dry in the new picture). My hair tend to take off in the ends, making big waves. Im not sure about what type my hair is yet, but I've put 1b/1c temporarily.

But you are right, the waves do hide them quite well, it would be alot worse if my hair was stick straight. :)

I think I will let them be and just let it grow... However, a question: how do you get fairy tale ends? I want to trim my hair myself when it gets longer, will that ruin it? Maybe I can find the answer to that question by asking google, haha :p

To get fairy tale ends it's very simple, you just stop cutting :) Hair grows at different rates which creates them. Some people think that S&D-ing speeds up getting that look, I guess because you might end up with more hairs at diffierent lengths faster if it was very blunt to start off with.

Estrid
August 7th, 2014, 07:12 AM
To get fairy tale ends it's very simple, you just stop cutting :) Hair grows at different rates which creates them. Some people think that S&D-ing speeds up getting that look, I guess because you might end up with more hairs at diffierent lengths faster if it was very blunt to start off with.

But what if I get split ends or reach a length I like? oh well, will take some years before I have to think about such things :)

Thank you all for your answers! :) I will let it grow as it is.

cathair
August 7th, 2014, 07:37 AM
But what if I get split ends or reach a length I like? oh well, will take some years before I have to think about such things :)

Thank you all for your answers! :) I will let it grow as it is.

That is the tricky thing about fairy tail ends :) I am not sure you can ever maintain a length. I've been wondering that myself. I guess you can cut them and then grown them out to FTE again. If you get splits you can always cut individual splits out.

curlylocks85
August 7th, 2014, 08:35 AM
I have the same problem. My hair is longer in the front than the back. I do not like asymmetrical cuts on myself. I made an appointment with my hairdresser so I can have her cut a U shape that leaves my hair in the back longer than the front. All I can tell you is do what you feel comfortable and will make you happy. :)

LongCurlyTress
August 7th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Maybe I should take new pictures. The shine on the hair hides them a bit... In some areas I have half of my hair cut off at another lenght than the rest... I don't think I will ever dare to cut layers on my own ever again.

Ok.. I changed my mind, deleted my first reaction and now I think you should just leave it alone, until it gets to apl. Then maybe trim a bit to even off the hemline a little at a time. Can you put it into a low nape ponytail with some bobby pins on the sides? It will grow, so just leave the scissors alone and try to get through maybe 2- 4 months and then reevaluate your hair shaping. There will be many more stages that you go through when you will think, gee, maybe if I trim this or that, but... in the end, your hair will be shorter if you trim! Just let it grow and leave it alone. Benign neglect is the term most of us use to get through uneven stages of hair growth. Just stay busy and forgetabout it! The time will pass. Stay busy! :cool:

LongCurlyTress
August 7th, 2014, 08:56 AM
I think you should just leave it. I'm growing out a pixie so I have lots of weird looking layers in mine but it's really only noticeable if I point it out. I try to keep mine pinned back most of the time so it bothers me less.

Holy toledo! Your hair grew so much in only 2 years! Just lovely! :joy:

Estrid
August 7th, 2014, 08:58 AM
That is the tricky thing about fairy tail ends :) I am not sure you can ever maintain a length. I've been wondering that myself. I guess you can cut them and then grown them out to FTE again. If you get splits you can always cut individual splits out.

I guess :) I guess I'll think about it again in 2-3 years or so :p

Estrid
August 7th, 2014, 08:59 AM
I have the same problem. My hair is longer in the front than the back. I do not like asymmetrical cuts on myself. I made an appointment with my hairdresser so I can have her cut a U shape that leaves my hair in the back longer than the front. All I can tell you is do what you feel comfortable and will make you happy. :)

Thank you for your answer. I think I will try to just leave it alone, maybe it looks better when it is at apl length, what do I know :)

Estrid
August 7th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Ok.. I changed my mind, deleted my first reaction and now I think you should just leave it alone, until it gets to apl. Then maybe trim a bit to even off the hemline a little at a time. Can you put it into a low nape ponytail with some bobby pins on the sides? It will grow, so just leave the scissors alone and try to get through maybe 2- 4 months and then reevaluate your hair shaping. There will be many more stages that you go through when you will think, gee, maybe if I trim this or that, but... in the end, your hair will be shorter if you trim! Just let it grow and leave it alone. Benign neglect is the term most of us use to get through uneven stages of hair growth. Just stay busy and forgetabout it! The time will pass. Stay busy! :cool:

Thank you for your answer :) and I think I will do just that, wait and see. I can put it in a low ponytail but I rarely do it, I like having my hair down :p