PDA

View Full Version : Scissors safe to use?

Entangled
August 6th, 2014, 08:12 PM
So, after weighing the the cons of getting my hair cut professionally, I'm considering cutting my own hair. I want a gentle U, and I looked up Feye's method. Here's my question. The hair scissors I currently have access to are rather old. They cut my hair when I was small. However, they are only used for hair, and have been used infrequently since I switched to getting a professional cut. Are they safe to use? How can I tell if they are sharp enough? I don't want to exacerbate my splits. (My heat damage from chin length is catching up to me.) What do you think?

Shibe
August 6th, 2014, 09:43 PM
To be safe, I would buy new scissors. You can pick up a brand new pair really cheaply. I wouldnt risk covering my entire hem in crushed, split prone hair!

Entangled
August 7th, 2014, 05:46 AM
I think you're right, Shibe. I guess I'll have to go out and buy a pair.

cathair
August 7th, 2014, 06:05 AM
Do they feel sharp to use? You could try them out on some wool and see if they cut that cleanly and crisply. That shouldn't hurt the scissors (something like paper would). If it still makes you nervous to use them, then perhaps you could get them sharpened or buy a new pair then?

Timea
August 7th, 2014, 06:09 AM
You can sharpen scissors. edit: whoops someone got there before me!

emilia1992
August 7th, 2014, 07:06 AM
Yeah, I vote for buying a new pair: once I tried to S&D (as a young teen) with the stationery scissors from my pencilcase. It removed the split, but replaced it with a tiny white dot where I'd cut it. I know that your hairdressing scissors would be nowhere near as blunt, but I guess it's safer just to splash a little cash.

Entangled
August 7th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Any suggestions for new scissors? I've decided to avoid the salon and self trim, but from what I've read, buying a new pair seems the safest. I'll head to Sally's later today.

Johannah
August 7th, 2014, 01:13 PM
I've bought this one (http://www.haarshop.nl/product/jaguar-pre-style-relax-55-inch) (it's a dutch site by the way). They are not really expensive (+/- €28 or $37) and work very well. It also has a lot of amazing reviews.

Eastbound&Down
August 7th, 2014, 01:49 PM
I bought mine from Sally's, and I don't remember them being more than $10.

Entangled
August 7th, 2014, 08:56 PM
I just found some hair rats that I made for costume hair a while back. I tested the scissors on them; they sliced clean through. The rat was about as big around as my index finger. Think it's safe?

Timea
August 8th, 2014, 03:40 AM
I just found some hair rats that I made for costume hair a while back. I tested the scissors on them; they sliced clean through. The rat was about as big around as my index finger. Think it's safe?

I do. If it didn't make a white dot on the hair from the hair rat, it shouldn't make one on your own hair.

Panth
August 8th, 2014, 11:46 AM
I'd test them with fabric, yarn or shed hair. If they cut cleanly (and, in particular, if it cuts the shed hair without leaving white dots on the cut end) then they're fine. Or, you could try sharpening them. Or, you could just buy new ones. There's no need to buy anything expensive - the important part is not spending lots of money but rather looking after them when you've got them (and never, ever, ever using them on anything except hair (or, perhaps, fabric/yarn/thread ... my hair scissors are my dressmaking scissors as they have the same requirements - must never touch paper, cardboard or (god forbid) plastic or metal)).

Shibe
August 8th, 2014, 03:41 PM
I bought a mustache scissor set from Publix (also available at Walmart) for 8 bucks. Small, very sharp, and no whits dots. I've been using them for about a week now, I'm very happy.

They look like this but with blue packaging:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AqNtldWKL._SY300_.jpg

xoChesleyy
August 9th, 2014, 02:13 PM
I would buy a new pair to be on the safe side. Sally Beauty Supply has good quality hair scissors with different price ranges. (:

Entangled
August 9th, 2014, 04:43 PM
The cost of good scissors is scaring me a bit. I know I want a pair for me, but I think I'll trim with the ones I have first. If I have to trim again, then so be it. My hemline found use a little thickening. I've been meaning to get a trim for about half a year now, but keep putting it off.

Panth
August 9th, 2014, 06:27 PM
???

"Good" scissors are just new, sharp scissors. No need to be expensive. As many people have said, perfectly good pairs can be bought for under $10. There's absolutely no need to buy fancy, expensive branded hair scissors.

Entangled
August 9th, 2014, 08:41 PM
That's good to hear. I looked up some old threads that seemed to say that it's worth it to buy nice scissors, because cheap ones won't last.(They also suggested that scissors under 30$ weren't worth it.) I don't plan on doing serious cutting, just a trim every now and again. It's good to hear that inexpensive scissors can get the job done!

Panth
August 10th, 2014, 01:30 AM
It's quite possible that cheap scissors probably have inferior steel that will blunt more quickly. Then, I guess, it's a matter of usage. If you're planning monthly trims (or have a whole family worth of heads of hair to trim) maybe a slightly more expensive pair would be worth it (still not massively expensive, just... more than $10). If you're planning S&D only, or infrequent trims, then I suspect the use is not going to be enough to blunt even cheaper ones within a few years.

The key point is that they must never, ever, ever be used on anything but hair.

Also, if you want to know if they're blunt or not - cut a bit of shed hair. If it leaves a white dot, the scissors are blunt. If if leaves a clean, blunt cut then you're good to go. You could also cut a piece of fabric to test the entire length for blunt spots in one fell swoop (you'll feel it as points of resistance where you have to apply a tiny bit more force to continue the cut at the same rate). Fabric won't hurt hair scissors.

Mya
August 10th, 2014, 08:10 AM
The old scissors should be good enough. About buying new scissors, it really depends on you. I know a hairdresser (one that is passionate about her job and listens to her customers) who spent 70EU on a pair of scissors. Before she told me that, I didn't even know that good quality scissors could be so expensive. If you know someone like her, you could ask them for advice! I bought a 12EU pair at a salon supply store and they seem fine, but I'm not an expert.

lapushka
August 10th, 2014, 02:54 PM
True, there is no need to buy an expensive pair. But I've found that with my thick hair, I need the sharpest possible scissors, and the cheaper ones I've tried (from Kruidvat & Hema, Belgian stores), so just from regular drugstores, weren't all that great. We do compact, or one-snip, cuts in this house, so I need *real* sharp scissors, and the pair I got are real hairdressing shears (€50 or thereabouts). Thick hair can render shears dull in no-time! With the cheaper ones my mom had to "saw" her way through the strands, with the hairdressing shears, the hair just comes off in one snip almost.

jacqueline101
August 11th, 2014, 04:50 AM
When I was s&d my ends I had my old scissors go dull and didn't even know it. I was in the same boat looking for scissors. I tried dollar tree hair cutting scissors they were dull. My man got me k mart goody stylists pink ones with leopard handles. I love them.

Beborani
August 11th, 2014, 09:27 AM
I had the same concerns as you especially since there are so many lhcers complaining about splits immediately after cutting with scissors as the possible culprit. I handled some of the higher priced scissors in the shop and honestly except for the weight I couldnt assess relative merit of one vs other. I ended up buying http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008TBTA6C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and evaluated my ends after one tiny trim and s&d session. It has remained intact and blunt for over 3 months, so feel confident enough that they are adequate.

Entangled
August 11th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Those look good! I trimmed my hair two days ago. I wanted to see of I COULD even cut my hair to my satisfaction before I invest in a new pair. So far, so good! I only took a tiny bit off, maybe 1/4 of an inch.