PDA

View Full Version : does itchy scalp mean hair growth

longhairvixen
August 6th, 2014, 12:34 AM
just wondering

Aurum
August 6th, 2014, 01:05 AM
It shouldn't. Hair growth doesn't have any associated feeling with it. It would help a ton to have some background on your hair care routine. What kind of shampoo/conditioner do you use? How often do you wash your hair? How do you wear it on a daily basis? Do you have dandruff? ...etc. You might also want to get checked for lice if you shared a brush or hair accessory with someone recently.

ExpectoPatronum
August 6th, 2014, 01:49 AM
If an itchy scalp meant my hair was growing, I'd have hair down to my ankles!

I second Aurum though. An itchy scalp is usually a sign something is up. For me, it was a matter of being allergic to something in my shampoo. I switched to a soap based shampoo and my itching is pretty much gone. An allergy can be at play, or something like dandruff. Maybe your scalp likes to be washed more often and itching is a way its trying to tell you that.

Wosie
August 6th, 2014, 02:18 AM
My scalp itches very often, and I'm certain it's not because it's growing. My scalp is extremely dry and when I run my fingers over it, it feels cracked (atopic dermatitis). :/

I wouldn't want for you to get any skin conditions that go unnoticed, so maybe you should check the itch up at a dermatologist's place.

Firefox7275
August 6th, 2014, 03:23 AM
I get a little diffuse itching in the summer, I think it's down to sweat since it is not linked to any other symptoms (I do have mild dermatitis but am clear at present). You may need to rinse or wash your scalp a little more often if you are stretching washes, use a different oil if you are massaging, see your family doctor or a dermatologist if the itching is problematic or you have any other symptoms.

Johannah
August 6th, 2014, 03:27 AM
Like others said, an itching scalp is usually a signs there's something wrong. For me, my scalp starts itching when I wear my hair up at the same place for a long period. Or when I sweat a lot. It hasn't anything to do with hair that grows.

Madora
August 6th, 2014, 06:57 AM
An itchy scalp for me means my hair needs washing. But if you're really concerned, best consult a hair doctor and see what's going on.

torrilin
August 6th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Itchy scalp for me means I used a product with fragrance that isn't safe for me. I react to a ton of different scented ingredients, so most of my hair stuff is fragrance free.

It could be a whole pile of other things tho, so I'd talk with a dermatologist about it.

Larki
August 6th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Well, I have trichotillomania, and in the weeks following major pulling, my scalp itches in the areas that were pulled from - so when hair is pulled out by the root, yes, the scalp itches while the hair is growing back. But that probably doesn't apply to you. ;)

lapushka
August 6th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Are you just wondering, because your scalp itches and you're looking for solutions, or are you just... you know, just wondering? :)

MJ1972
August 6th, 2014, 08:36 AM
For me, an itchy scalp means I've used too much ACV on my scalp. Either that, or I've used something containing argan oil. Argan oil makes my skin crawl.

longhairvixen
August 7th, 2014, 12:22 AM
Well, I have trichotillomania, and in the weeks following major pulling, my scalp itches in the areas that were pulled from - so when hair is pulled out by the root, yes, the scalp itches while the hair is growing back. But that probably doesn't apply to you. ;)

i think that might be the case, because i was brushing my hair aggressive and hair came out and its itchy

Sarahlabyrinth
August 7th, 2014, 03:09 AM
For me, when my scalp starts to get itchy, it's just telling me it's time to wash my hair.