PDA

View Full Version : How other people handle our hair

RandiLynn
August 5th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Today I went to the salon. I had been wanting a change- some evening out, some shaping, maybe some layers to thin the bulk of my length, some feed back on the health of my hair, someone to ooh and ahh over "how pretty" it turns out, and even just that touch of another human being whose only goal is to groom you (even if money is the true motivator for them.) I wanted something I couldn't do on my own. No one else has touched a blade to my hair in over two years. I maintained my short edgy cut as I grew it down long enough for a regulation-style bun, and I did my own trims and long layers as well. No one else has touched my hair for grooming purposes in that time other than my sister forcing it into a tight french braid for my wedding, my husband reluctantly helping me experiment with heat-less curling, and my five year old niece saying "your turn now!" when it's time to play dress up. I have never gotten my hair cut by someone else when it was long before. So, after much searching for a picture of what I wanted, and much searching for the right salon, I made my choice and took the plunge. I called and got an appointment for this afternoon, drove on over when it was time, and somewhat nervously stepped through the door. The staff were very friendly and I didn't wait but five minutes for my assigned stylist. Miss C. asked for a picture of what I wanted and I explained that I'd still need to be able to pull it back for duty. Not much time was wasted before she whisked me away to the shampooing chairs. We did the normal small talk thing- even discovered that we were from equally large families, and it was pleasant conversation.
Now, I learned from LHC and similar places how to care better for my hair. I never use full strength shampoo, I don't use shampoo directly on my length, I don't use hot water, I don't scrub my length. All of these things Miss C. did. My hair is normally detangled before washing and then allowed to air-dry to just damp and has three different leave-in products before any form of detangling or combing is done. I also do not use heat on my hair, and today it received wet combing during which the knots were simply ripped through, extensive blow drying, and she flat ironed it after I declined curling. Realizing that my perception of the way Miss C. handled my hair may be skewed by the great lengths I go to be gentle, I know that she did nothing outside of what is normal for perhaps most people. However, I was cringing on the inside the whole time, imagining my hair crying out tome "Why mommy, why?" This might have gone differently if I had known better and prepared to ask for special treatment, or if I hadn't been too dumbstruck to say something at the time. It really didn't occur to me at all that the way I want my hair cared for is not ordinary. It's special. And other people- at no fault of their own- just don't have a clue. Needless to say, it may be some time before I visit another salon but, when I do, I'll be better prepared with lessons learned. Aside from the treatment of my hair, my only other qualm about today's experience is that the layers were not cut evenly on both sides. This, I let go. This I felt was not worth any further unwitting abuse. This I can fix myself, later.
Today got me thinking about all the other times someone did something I didn't like regarding my hair; all the times my dad tried to comb out my ratted, matted little-girl hair; all the shorter cuts that just went wrong; the hair pulling in fights with my sisters; whenever someone tells my it is too long or too short or too wild; every time a baby grabs a tiny curious fistful; every time a man that isn't my husband thinks it's ok to reach out and touch it or tuck it behind my ear; all the times a professional tells me I shouldn't take the scissors into my own hands. My hair is mine. My question after this long, and somewhat satiric introduction, is how honestly how much damage can I expect to see after today- because I really don't know, and more importantly, how do you personally react when someone mishandles your hair? I'd be interested to hear some stories.

chen bao jun
August 5th, 2014, 06:15 PM
ouf, what a subject.
As a curly I'm always shocked that many hairdressers don't know to start detangling from the bottom up. That's my worst beef. they start detangling from the top down with a fine tooth comb, create tangles that they then rip through, telling me that I need to straighten my unmanageable hair.
My mother used to brush my hair--and wondered why my baby curls had disappeared--she still wants to start from the top, also.
I just feel grateful that I don't need to go to anybody and hope to goodness that when I get old and incapable, I will have a daughter in law who knows something about curls.

spidermom
August 5th, 2014, 06:17 PM
I don't freeze like a deer in the headlights when somebody handles my hair. I've asked them to start combing out from the bottom, I've combed it out myself, and I've left with wet hair. It's my money, my appointment, and I get what I want.

lapushka
August 5th, 2014, 06:19 PM
I haven't gone in years. Because of... all that. I'm sorry about your experience. It's just once, though, and it really isn't going to affect your hair that much (you OTOH, that's a whole 'nother story).

woodswanderer
August 5th, 2014, 06:24 PM
I too have no trouble speaking up when someone is doing something to me that I don't want. If I went to a salon, I would just call ahead and tell them my needs and see if they were willing to accommodate me. Otherwise, I would probably be shocked into saying something rude and awkward.

MJ1972
August 5th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Sorry to hear you had such an unpleasant salon experience, RandiLynn. I usually prevent problems like these from arising by going to the salon with home-washed and home-combed hair. Sounds like that may be a good idea for you, too.

DreamSheep
August 5th, 2014, 06:34 PM
I went to a salon recently for an updo (I went to a ball and fancied something nice on my hair without cutting), and felt quite similar:

Brushes ripping through hair and tangles, blowdried (with 2 hairdriers, due to sheer amount of hair), backcombing...
I don't really have that long hair compared to most people here, but I've always taken pride in not mistreating my hair. Although I was well chuffed with the updo result from the hairdressers, I know my hair screamed from that experience.

DweamGoiL
August 5th, 2014, 06:34 PM
I appreciate when my hair is handled well and speak up if I see room for improvement. Like spidermom, I have untangled my own hair. I carry a wide-toothed comb in my bag so if I need to, I can just use that. I am not shy about telling them to lower the temperature of the water or whatever else is bothering me. Most times, once they see you handled your hair with kid gloves, they have no problem accommodating that, but of course, every now and again, you run into a stubborn person. For me, it's usually the person washing the hair. I won't go to a hairdresser twice if they can't follow my directions.

RandiLynn
August 5th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Oh, freeze I did! I truly did not even consider that I would need to worry about this. Every other time I have had someone else cut my hair it was short, and at the time I didn't know better or even care. But today, I was wholly unprepared and it seems I had left my backbone back home. It's good to read of others experiences and to see that yep, I could have and should have stepped up. The experience really did further define how I do not want it to be handled. I shall need to be more proactive in the future, now finding out ridiculously late in the game that even folks in the business of taking care of others' hair don't necessarily know how I prefer mine to be done.

Kherome
August 5th, 2014, 07:32 PM
You have to learn to speak up or you will get this every.single.time.

Before they touch my hair I tell them that they will NOT rip through my hair. They WILL sort a tangle gently without breaking any hairs. They WILL go slowly from the bottom up. They will NOT cut more than I have asked for.

After I recite that I stand up for myself. They often don't realize what they are doing IS ripping through hair. I won't allow it, even if I look like a jerk. It's my hair and you aren't destroying it, thanks.

hafattack
August 5th, 2014, 07:35 PM
I always ask to comb my own hair.. it used to be just because they hurt me so bad which should be an indication that its damaging, and I especially do now that I actually take care of it.

Entangled
August 5th, 2014, 07:48 PM
This is the case for me. I've never had any problems going to the salon; in fact, I used to love it. After I started lurking here, I changed my mechanical routine a lot-- I'm much gentler than the average person. The first time I went to the salon after that, it was horrible. My stylist was very rough with detangling, and I felt my hair practically screaming as it went through the blow dryer and round brush. However, only my perception changed. She was doing the same things that she has always done to my hair. It was very uncomfortable, but I couldn't speak out. Now, I love my stylist. She does what I ask, even though she jokes around about doing crazy things like giving me an asymmetrical bob or rattails, and is very amusing and enjoyable to be around. I'm due for another trim soon. I'm scared that I will mess up Feye's method, as I do a pretty bad job with my bangs, so trimming my own hair is not an option just quite yet. How do I ask her to do what I want without sounding presumptuous, like I know more than her about how to treat my hair? I know she probably won't be offended, but I do not know how to ask. How do I tell somebody that makes a living doing hair that they're doing my hair 'wrong', and I know better? How do I convey that I'm not comfortable with the what they're doing, when the last appointment I was perfectly fine? 'Normal' hair care (brushing hard, wearing loose, heat manipulation) is uncomfortable for me.*

As for treating my hair different than most people, I guess it is true. I don't notice it, because it's become second nature for me, but compared to the way my classmates handle their hair I do treat my hair like antique lace. That advice always seems silly, but minimizing mechanical damage works wonders. How do you explain this change in attitude to your friends? I used to wear my hair down every day, but now it is extremely uncomfortable to even wear it half down to church. I am constantly fingercombing it, trying to minimize the inevitable tangles. I guess I'm scared of sounding self righteous, since I don't have the length to show for my effort, though I do have the health. Healthy hair just isn't as visible.

* As an aside, I really am happy with my hair. It's softer than it has ever been before, and thicker and longer that has ever been before. I am so much happier than I've ever been regarding my hair, because I learned how to do buns and braids; since I don't like the feeling of hair on my neck, or its obnoxious tendency to get into everything, finding stick buns has solved a problem that I never had a name for. LHC has been a lifesaver. My only complaint is that it is not as long as I would like, but it will get there with enough patience.;)

dezibela
August 5th, 2014, 07:54 PM
My spine also was MIA at the hair stylist's recently. I haven't gotten a cut in a year, but I do get color about every 6 weeks, and it's only been in the last three months that my hair's been long enough to confuse hair professionals (it's now about BSL).

I CO-wash, but I don't mind shampoo being on my hair every 6 weeks. I just get my color, tolerate the shampoo, and leave with wet hair. That's all fine. I do like my stylist, and she's been great about micro-trimming. A little back story -- I took a 2-year break from this stylist because I wanted to grow out my boy cut but she kept cutting and cutting. I decided to give her another chance because she's great at color, she's affordable, and she's 10 minutes from my house. So I went back and told her what the problem was, and she's been perfect since.

But the time before last that I was there, a teen assistant was sent over to comb me out after the wash. She started at the top and just tore at my hair. I was shocked and didn't say anything. I told myself that next time, I'd bring a wide-toothed comb and do it myself.

So I went back the next time, prepared to self-comb. My head was in the sink as the shampooist finished up, when one of the co-owners (who has super-short hair, by the way) came over, threw a towel around my length and began to briskly rub it. I silently screamed, "FRICTION!", but I didn't say anything. I don't know why.

I've been thinking about it a lot -- for one thing, why didn't I speak up? And for another, I'm sort of scared to go back. I have another month before my roots will need color. So I have about 28 days to grow a backbone.

I'm also thinking about switching to a George Michael salon, but I hate to leave my affordable, convenient stylist who I genuinely like because I'm reluctant to speak up. The confusing thing is that I don't have trouble speaking up in other situations. It's only at the hair stylist's that I'm having this failure of nerve.

chen bao jun
August 5th, 2014, 08:02 PM
I started to go to my son's barber and he's great. Listens.
I can't relax if I have to be fighting with the hairdresser to get what I want.
And all I ever want is a trim.

RandiLynn
August 5th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Yes! It was the feeling of discord. Not saying anything because I'm not the professional. There have been some great tips so far in how to go about communicating my needs. After telling my husband about today and that "I am NEVER getting my hair done by someone else again!" he had told me not to write off getting my hair done because of this one day, that I should try again until I get it right. And the way he said it- he wasn't blaming me but he made his opinion clear that it really is my responsibility. I think he was a bit confused by my behavior because he knows me to be very upfront most of the time and not adverse to standing up to authority. Maybe those of us that are having trouble advocating for ourselves can emulate those who have more practice doing so. I'm enjoying being allowed to share in all of your words and stories about this, and am grateful for the advice.

cowgirllong
August 5th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Isn't it amazing how we sometimes just leave our spine at the door? I don't go to the salon, ever, so I don't know what I would do. I might check my spine at the door, or I might be the customer from you-know-where. I guess all you can do is try to be clear the next time you go.

Aurum
August 5th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Oh my god, every one of these posts is spot on with my recent experience. I went to an actual salon for the first time in a while to get my ends freshened up and it really opened my eyes. Before I started actively growing, I thought nothing of getting my hair washed, combed (roughly, of course), cut, blow dried, and straightened. At the salon, they did try to accommodate me, asking up front if I had washed my hair already and if heat was okay to use, etc. It was the combing that really freaked me out. My head was violently tugged backward with every brush stroke and I silently mourned every lost strand. I have fragile hair and as a result, I comb from the bottom and use the tiniest amount of force possible when I detangle, never ripping through knots. A normal detangling session for me usually takes 5+ minutes and is a nice way to relax after a long day. This time, it probably took less than a minute because of the speed of her combing.
Now, I don't blame her or stylists in general. They have to be quick and efficient to stay on schedule, and probably 99% of their clients don't know the difference anyway. However, I believe that quality is better than quantity. I would be willing to pay a lot more for a salon that knows how to properly care for hair of all lengths. A good salon, in my mind, should even go so far as to educate clients about their hair and suggest tips for making it healthier. :)
This particular time, it was 100% my fault for not specifying exactly how I wanted my hair to be treated, but it has deepened my dislike and distrust of salons.

(TL;DR - It was a bad experience, lesson learned)

meteor
August 5th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Sadly, I have never been to a hairdresser that didn't rip a brush from roots to tips, regardless of the length. I always volunteer to do it myself, but it's not always accepted.
Also, I'm too shy to say that it really hurts my scalp and that long hair should be brushed from ends up. I don't want to look like a jerk or be too "precious" with my hair when other clients seem to "tough it out" just fine.
I loose a LOT of hair every time I visit a hairdresser, so I try to go there very, very rarely - like once a year or even less.

Islandgrrl
August 6th, 2014, 02:13 AM
A few years ago I went to my sister's hair dresser at her insistence for a deep condition and trim. Before I let him do anything, I laid out the rules: no shampoo, I detangle my own hair, trim more than an inch and you don't get paid. If you don't listen to me, I'm walking out, wet hair, half trimmed hair, whatever.

He was quite respectful, very professional, and did exactly what I wanted. It was a good enough experience that I'll go back next time I'm in town, which will be in 2 weeks.

You absolutely have to lay it out...what you expect, what you will not tolerate. And follow through. Every time. I trim my own hair now, mostly because people around where I live want a small fortune to make me stand on a chair so they can snip 1/4" of hair off my hemline. I'm not dropping $40 on that.

GetMeToWaist
August 6th, 2014, 03:29 AM
I just don't go to the hairdressers anymore. All their products are wrong, they always cut too much off, they heat style and brush wet hair with a paddle brush. I don't really enjoy having my head massaged by strangers anyway, LOL.

Firefox7275
August 6th, 2014, 03:32 AM
I arrive at the salon with very wet hair already detangled (don't get many snags when wet at this length) and slathered in leave in conditioner. Salon washes mean chemicals I don't want near my skin or hair, and rough heat styling that rarely lasts more than five minutes out the door anyway.

Dry cuts = fine tooth comb = white girl afro = being told scathingly my hair is damaged. Yes it IS a little damaged because I dye but that frizz and dullness is because my hair is WAVY, love! NO I don't need to buy your sulphate laden shampoo and silicone laden serum.

My other pet hate is friends and acquaintances grabbing at my hair when it's being worn wavy-curly.

Johannah
August 6th, 2014, 03:33 AM
I don't think one time will damage your hair a lot. But for these reasons you gave, I don't visit a hair dresser anymore. I've never been happy with an appointment, ever. Or she used heat, my hair didn't like the shampoo, she cut my hair wrong, too short, ... Atm I don't have the 'courage' to go somewhere else, maybe in the future.

leilani
August 6th, 2014, 06:30 AM
I used to wear my hair down every day, but now it is extremely uncomfortable to even wear it half down to church. I am constantly fingercombing it, trying to minimize the inevitable tangles.

Oh Entangled, I'm so sorry to read this. Giving your hair good TLC shouldn't come at that price, where you can't enjoy normal everyday life if every strand of hair isn't "protected" from the world.
We all enjoy a healthy obsession with our hair in this forum but it saddens me to think that some are not always able to enjoy other things in life,as well, due to a preoccupation with haircare.

RandiLynn
August 6th, 2014, 07:48 AM
I just cannot imagine how this must be for people with curls or hair longer than mine or with picky hair. It did bother me a great deal because my hair is an investment. Much more so for others. I don't wear my hair down as often as I use to either- but mostly because it's hot or I need it to stay out of the way or when I'm on duty. When someone touches my hair without permission I see it as a sign of disrespect and immediately just say "Please DON'T touch my hair" with unflinching eye contact. This really gets to me when a man does it because I feel that my husband is the only man who should. Women tend to get the hint when I immediately smooth it out or put it up afterwards; but than, usually it's more out of curiosity and an opportunity to share and learn with women. It's a completely different issue to me so its easy to be aggressive then. They know better real quick. I don't mind doing my hair out in the open because I'm not going to seclude myself while my hair takes it's sweet time to dry or be detangled, and I don't want to give up that precious time with those I love. People have just gotten use to that as time went on. But with the salon I guess I need to start considering them to be just like the rest of my hair care routine. If something isn't working I need to change it, and I need to be particular. As an aside, my hair doesn't seem to have really been affected, but I'll know better next wash. Hoping everyone is right about that one!

Entangled
August 6th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Leilani, it's not really that bad. I've never really liked the feeling of wearing my hair down, but I have always lacked the skills to solve that problem. Ever since I've started wearing protective updos, tangles are a thing of the past, solving my problem of brush-jerking (an old, bad habit of mine.) I love the feeling of buns and and braids, and my hair no longer falls in my face or over my shoulder. I only wear my hair down on Sundays to placate my mother, who thinks it's boring that I wear it up all the time, and because 'dressy' buns take too much work to make right, and then require pin fidgeting. I love buns because they remove any preoccupation with hair from my life. With an updo: windy outside? No prob. High humidity? I've got that covered. My hair dried funky? Who cares? It's not visible. I need a trim? No one can tell. I didn't have time to wash last night? French braid time. Since I would never shave my head or cut a pixie, long hair is the next best thing to keep it practical and out of the way. Like I said, I don't wear it down because I like it down, only to 'lay low' so I don't appear fanatical about my hair. (Protesting wearing my hair down wouldn't make sense to my mom, and I would appear lazy or vain)

ETA: Thank you for your concern. Fiddling with my hair isn't very distracting, except when I'm making a constant effort not to. I love going to church.

I think I'm going to trim my own hair. It's seeming easier than the hassle of going to the hairdresser right now.

Hibernis
August 7th, 2014, 01:38 PM
This is why my plan is to not cut it for 4 years, then have a fellow longhair cut an inch off.

Fellow longhairs are the BEST stylists ;)

Jennwith4
August 7th, 2014, 03:18 PM
The last I visited a hairdresser was 1 year ago. I was already on my journey to grow and she knew and respected that. But since then I've stopped using sulfates, cones and heat so I haven't been back. Just did my own micro-trimming.

Éowyn_GreyEyes
August 10th, 2014, 04:06 PM
I've always gone to the hair dresser. I didn't really care how it was treated until about three years ago when it hit BSL. I maintained that length for a while with bangs and layers and the. Decided it liked it better when it was all one length and blunt. Since my hair has grown out its layers (about a year and a half) every hairdresser I've been to has suggested I keep a U. I'm ok with that for now to keep my growing out bangs a little hiding room on the sides but my most recent cut the man (really nice and everything and sporting awards all over his desk:rolleyes:) took a bit of a gasp and eye roll when I told him the sides were fine but I wanted him to keep the bottom straight across. Not going back there. Sorry, you're personable but I don't appreciate you giving me sass about what I prefer my hair to look like. Your coworker didn't have a problem accommodating for me last time I was in and couldn't stop complimenting me on my persistence on growing.

Next time I go in (maybe around Christmas time) I'm going to add to my pre-cut etc rant. No blow dryer or heat, and no round brush. My strands are thin as it is, I don't want anymore ear length fluff from "professionals" breaking all to crap...

jacqueline101
August 11th, 2014, 04:32 AM
I don't think one time will damage your hair a lot. But for these reasons you gave, I don't visit a hair dresser anymore. I've never been happy with an appointment, ever. Or she used heat, my hair didn't like the shampoo, she cut my hair wrong, too short, ... Atm I don't have the 'courage' to go somewhere else, maybe in the future.

I'm the same way. I used to love going until the prices got too high for me to afford.

Merlin
August 14th, 2014, 12:51 AM
Although I was well chuffed with the updo result from the hairdressers

"well chuffed" LOL

ghost
August 14th, 2014, 01:08 AM
Old news, but sometimes I still feel a flash of annoyance with my mom for cutting my waist-length hair to chin length when I was a kid, because it would be "easier".
Easier, my butt! Sure, it can't have been fun to comb out a tenderheaded little girl's hair every morning (and man am I tenderheaded) but all she had to do was braid it instead of putting me to bed with loose hair. Unlike the fine, tricky wurls I have now that tangle as soon as you look at them, my childhood hair was the easiest thing in the world. Pin straight, smooth, slippery Nordic hair.

To be fair, I can't get annoyed with her without also getting annoyed with myself for heaping tons of abuse on my hair before I knew any better, and also for cutting it to shoulder length from waist or longer three (three!!!) times as an older teen/adult. Pfft.

Hilariously enough, most people, including hair dressers on the rare occasion I go to them, are extremely respectful and careful with handling my hair. All direct abuse has been from myself and close family members.

Creagan
August 14th, 2014, 02:58 AM
My mom used to rip through my hair when she brushed it. She started at the bottom, but probably spent thirty seconds to a minute on my entire head. It was horribly painful. I still flinch if anybody starts to play with my hair. They almost always tug too hard, or pull on a strand from a sensitive area, like the nape of my neck or temples.

That's probably the main reason I have never gotten a "professional" hair cut. I know I'd have no problem speaking up for myself. I spent twelve years of school self-advocating thanks to my learning disability and various health needs. Speaking up isn't a problem. Letting somebody else do something to me that will almost defiantly result in pain... That's a lot harder. I can do it if there's a clear reason why I really need to have it done, like getting a vaccination or having my wisdom teeth out. There's no clear reason why I should see a hair dresser instead of having my mom keep trimming my hair.

Ting32
August 14th, 2014, 02:59 AM
My hair has gotten worse and worse when gaining length, it tangles up completely. So I went to the hairdresser 2 times a year, to get rid of the bad ends.
Last time at the hairdresser it was too much (december 2013), I'm new to the forum, but even then the way she ripped through my hair was awful, my penny dropped!! At one point I flinched because she was actually hurting me and asked to do it myself, but she was 'nearly done'. I decided to start micro-trimming myself last week, since she always felt the need to cut off 2 inches! And then say, but look, you have such a great length left.. No more for me..

NuclearApple
August 14th, 2014, 04:00 AM
If I have to tell you the truth I never had such awful experiences with my hair, reading some of your replyes was seriously terrifying, lol!
I like a lot going to the hair dresser because she knows my hair and respects every millimeter of it, she always asks how much to cut, even if she's a bit rough with the brush, and the shampooing/conditioning phase is so relaxing! Also I don't have problems about the products because I use coney products because my hair hates sulfate/silicones free ones, and I also blowdry and sometimes style it with flat iron.
If I used specific products though i would immediately tell, I would tell what kind of treatment I want for my hair and if you do wrong you don't get paid, I may seem rude but it's my hair and not your toy!
I'm very sorry you had such a bad experience! You have to search for a salon that you can 90% trust and it's going to take a while, but it's worth it. I hope you will never have such bad experiences!!!

emilia1992
August 14th, 2014, 05:37 AM
I've to a hairdressers in my entire life (as a child, my mum cut my hair), and after reading this, I don't think I'm ever going to start!

I understand, though, why a person might freeze rather than stand up for themselves in these situations. After all, a hairdresser is meant to be an authority on hair, and know exactly how to treat it. So when a hairdresser does something unexpected or unwanted, it would be surprising enough to make a person send their spine on holiday.

If it's just once (or very occasionally), I don't think hair will suffer too much damage.

BTW, if it makes you feel more reassured, when I was in secondary school I permed my hair, dyed over the top (with bleach), only used shampoo and not conditioner, blow-dried it every day and used a curling wand every weekend. The hair's still there :)

Don't worry too much about it. You should be fine.

Angela_Rose
August 14th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Reading horror stories like these reminds me how lucky I am that the lady who cuts my bangs and does my annual trim takes kindly to me being picky and bossy about how my hair is treated, and that I am capable of and not afraid to stand up for myself. Better luck next time!

mouse2cat
August 14th, 2014, 09:14 AM
So a long while back I was going to try and sell my hair. It was very long, healthy and natural blonde. After learning that locks of love is pretty questionable at best. They washed it before cutting. They could have easily just trimmed off my perfectly detangled braid instead I was left with a tangled wet ponytail that was completely unsellable. They then proceeded to give me a really lazy cut.

I learned from that to be much more assertive in hair salons. I have trouble trimming the length so I will go in occasionally and I will stop a hairdresser if I don't like what is happening and I will take a hair brush out of their hands if I don't like what they are doing with it. I found I enjoy getting cut at the hairdressing school because students are much less likely to think they know best and will carefully listen to clear instructions. You just have to be very exact in your language about what you want and I tend to go for simple cuts anyway (when I'm long haired)

I have had some very lost souls who have never had to deal with waist length before. I didn't think it was THAT uncommon. But maybe you don't get waist length by going to hair salons.

RachelRose
January 5th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Yes yes . I have said here I will do this myself before lol I get strange looks and maybe they're offended but oh we'll. my hairdresser now is a jewel , but ever since I went in for layers I'm afraid to go back in . Not because she did a bad job , but because I remember I hate complicated haircuts on myself, if I can't trim it myself or if it requires heat I don't want it