PDA

View Full Version : Going to the beach/swimming pool with long hair

DreamSheep
August 5th, 2014, 05:03 PM
What do you guys do to keep the hair safe, damage free and away from tangles?

I feel I should've asked this question at the start of the Summer before I had my fill of salty and chlorinated water activities. In the past I have tried to make a 'crappy' bun, or get someone to make my hair into one long plait - and then wash with conditioner afterwards.

PraiseCheeses
August 5th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Sounds like you have a good start. I'd just add copious oil of your choice before braiding it, as long as possible before getting in the water to give it time to penetrate. This is the first summer I've ever had semiregular beach days, and I've found that it's best if I oil my hair before leaving home, bun it, then braid it and saturate it with tap water just before I go into the water. I also make sure to wash with conditioner afterwards. You could also be sure to cover your head with a scarf or hat while out of the water in the sun; I personally don't bother. Sun highlights are my vice. :lol: I've also found that at least in the ocean, braids work a lot better than buns - when the bun gets wet the weight pulls, and the waves pull at it more than a braid.

Keep in mind that these steps most likely won't prevent 100% of the damage and tangles, but will minimize it. :flower: