PDA

View Full Version : Another question (SMT question)

Beaglebuddy
September 21st, 2008, 06:51 AM
An SMT done as a preshampoo treatment, could this, in a way, be like a CWC? I put the SMT on, then shampoo, then condition. The thing is I do put the SMT on the scalp as well. I know that a CWC is really condition the length, shampoo the scalp, then condition all. Just wondered if it could work the way I asked. Probably not, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Carolyn
September 21st, 2008, 07:44 AM
I don't know why it wouldn't work the way you describe it. It certainly can't hurt to use SMT that way. I use it as part of a CO wash. I slather it all over my scalp and hair length and leave it on a long time. It cleans beautifully. Go ahead and try it and see how you like it.

bjt
September 21st, 2008, 07:59 AM
I'm sorry to have to ask such a n00bie question, but what is SMT?

Elphie
September 21st, 2008, 08:06 AM
It's a moisture treatment involving honey, aloe and conditioner.

You can read more about it here.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

bjt
September 21st, 2008, 08:09 AM
oh, cool! thanks Elphie!

Elphie
September 21st, 2008, 08:11 AM
You're welcome! I did one last night and the link was still open in another browser.

Beaglebuddy
September 21st, 2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks Carolyn, I think I will. I really am becoming a fan of SMTs, my hair feels 80% better than Friday when I clarified and my hair was so dry and nasty after.

twilight_faerie
September 21st, 2008, 04:04 PM
That's what I do after I'm done with an SMT. If I don't shampoo afterward, my hair feels gross because of the honey coating. Yecchh.

Beaglebuddy
September 21st, 2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I don't know if I'd like the feel of it after shampooing, but I haven't tried it that way to know yet. I do like it before shampooing.

AprilElf
September 23rd, 2008, 04:02 AM
I do an SMT after a clarifying shampoo/condition, to restore moisture. I also sometimes do it after my regular CWC. I guess you just need to try it both ways that you mentioned Beaglebuddy, to find out what is best for you. I could be way off base, but it seems to me that shampooing afterwards might undo some of the good work of the SMT ... :confused: Anyway, if you rinse well enough afterward the SMT, you shouldn't have a sticky residue.

cindy58
September 23rd, 2008, 04:20 AM
I think I have almost always done the SMT after shampooing. It does require a good rinse, but it feels totally fine to me after that.

Katze
September 23rd, 2008, 05:43 AM
sure you can, but then you're shampooing the SMT's effects right off, so to speak.

I've done CWCs where I use an SMT as the "C" part, but it kind of seems like a waste of the effort in mixing up an SMT, not to mention of my nice, discontinued, natural deep conditioner.

If you do an SMT after shampooing, as many of us do, and rinse it off well enough, you will not have any residue. I've only had a problem when I tried to rinse too quickly and forgot some spots.

Another SMT tip is that, for me, the maximum benefit of it is reached at about 2 hours. I usually leave it on 1-2 hours on a day when I am at home for a while and can walk around with a plastic bag and towel on my head. Leaving it on longer than an hour or two doesn't seem to bring any extra benefit at all. The SMT can in fact dry up and get pretty weird and hard, too. I've tested time left on with my hair and with BF's and don't see any difference after 1-2 hours.

Beaglebuddy
September 23rd, 2008, 06:04 AM
Thank you AprilElf, cindy58, Katze for your responses. It makes sense that the SMT would be more beneficial after shampooing. I don't know why, but I always feel and have always done deep conditioning as preshampoos and I probably would have had better luck doing them like the SMTs.
But I will try it and will try really rinsing. I know with other things I haven't rinsed properly and have ended up with a sticky mess.