PDA

View Full Version : Can a coconut oil treatment catch fire?

Stribe
August 5th, 2014, 06:29 AM
Forgive me if this has already been answered somewhere else, I have been searching, but I haven't found anything on it:

I have a kind of a bonnet that I can attach to my hairdryer, and I am thinking of using it with a shower cap over my coconut treatment. But I am afraid the coconut oil could catch fire, right there, on my poor head!

Yes, I know I sound crazy, but I would really like to use that bonnet to shorten the time I have to leave the coconut oil in my hair...

Every answer will be so appreciated :)

Sarahlabyrinth
August 5th, 2014, 06:34 AM
I would doubt that it would catch fire, but how hot are you planning on making your hair?

julee
August 5th, 2014, 06:45 AM
The smoke point of coconut oil is 177 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees F so I don't think it would.

Stribe
August 5th, 2014, 07:02 AM
I would doubt that it would catch fire, but how hot are you planning on making your hair?

I must admit I don't know how many degrees my hairdryer blows out, and I am also thinking it will get a little hotter when the air gets trapped in the bonnet. However, julee says 350 degrees F is smoke point, and I am sure I would be uncomfortable way before that, so now I am gonna go ahead and try it. Thank you Sarahlabyrinth and julee

Anje
August 5th, 2014, 12:56 PM
You know, if you wanted to be totally safe, you could probably put hot packs on your head under a towel or bonnet instead of using the hair dryer. I don't think you'd have any problems with fire unless your dryer also shoots sparks (!), but a couple of microwaved rice packs would allow you to avoid the risk altogether.

amino
August 5th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Consider that the boiling point of water is 100 C, and then consider that most people can't even deal with 60C bath water. So you'll definitely be able to tell when you're getting too hot.

Anje
August 5th, 2014, 01:11 PM
To clarify, I think you'll be perfectly safe with a shower cap over your coconutty hair. If you were blowdrying on high in a bonnet without your hair contained near your head, so that maybe ends could get trapped really close to the hot dryer, I can imagine there possibly being a problem.

Stribe
August 7th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Thank you everyone.
Now I do a coconut treatment for only 15 min, which gives my time to do it every morning, before my shower, and use my hairdryer in the bonnet with my hair in a shower cap. I didn't dare to try until I had heard your thoughts on it. My DH insists that we only buy a cheap sulfate shampoo (TREsseme), but this way I figure my hair will handle the bad shampoo better. It is doing fine now, because it is not that long, but I want to treat it well from the beginning.