PDA

View Full Version : Low porosity people

LadyCelestina
August 5th, 2014, 04:34 AM
I just wanted to share this awesome no :bull: article on how to care for your hair type

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.sk/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html

Not sure how many of you have already read this article.

I myself have had problems with caring for my hair as the dye grows out and virgin hair comes in.It either felt dry or build up-ish even after thorough shampooing.After switching up some things in my routine as the article suggested,I have shiny non-weighed down curls and waves.I apply creamy leave-in and oil for the dyed ends.

I really ought to thank the author! :o

lapushka
August 5th, 2014, 06:15 AM
It makes sense to me that as the length grows, the porosity of the strands changes with it. So basically, I can have normal porosity say up to BSL level, and lower porosity near the end lengths and tips. I do think I have pretty much normal porosity, but can't really tell. My hair soaks up conditioner and is pretty good with it, and with styling products. So I tend not to worry too much!

Interesting article, thanks for posting. Makes you think. :)

meteor
August 5th, 2014, 07:17 AM
I read it some time ago, loved it and was wondering where to share it here. There is lots of very useful and relevant information there! :) Thanks a lot for sharing! :D :flower:

battles
August 5th, 2014, 07:54 AM
I had an analysis done and learned that my hair is low porosity at the roots, low-normal in the middle and the ends are a mix of normal and porous. I treat most of my hair as low but the ends need a little extra care.

That guide is really useful, I hope it helps someone. :flower:

Entangled
August 5th, 2014, 10:25 AM
That was very fascinating! There are many tips in there that I would like to try. Some of them I realized myself through trial and error, like using warm water before conditioning, but many of them made sense, especially as to why my hair doesn't respond to overnight moisture treatments much. I think I have low porosity hair so I will see if anything helps. Thanks for sharing!

MeowScat
August 5th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Your timing is perfect, these past couple weeks I've been annoyed with everything sitting on top of my hair, not sinking in. I bookmarked the article, thanks for posting it!

Aurum
August 5th, 2014, 09:30 PM
I tried a home porosity test where you set a few strands on top of water and it's buoyancy (for lack of a better word) tells you how porous your hair is. Well, my hair just sat on top and I'm pretty sure that was due to water tension, not porosity. :confused:

Johannah
August 6th, 2014, 06:01 AM
I tried a home porosity test where you set a few strands on top of water and it's buoyancy (for lack of a better word) tells you how porous your hair is. Well, my hair just sat on top and I'm pretty sure that was due to water tension, not porosity. :confused:

You should see this test as an extra because it's kind of black-and-white. Look at other signs. Does your hair soak up oils/conditioner (fast) or not? Does it takes ages to air dry? Does it takes ages to wet your hair in the shower? Are you having trouble with moisturizing your hair, and once it's in, does it stay in? Does it resist dyes etc.?

Sometimes it takes minutes before my hair is wet under the shower. I can't use oils or creams as a leave in, because it makes my hair extremely greasy and it lays on top of my hair. I've had some highlights, but after 1 or 2 weeks it fades almost completely. I've had a dye years ago, but that didn't stay as well. I've used heavy oilings for ages, and out all of a sudden, my hair was over moisturized. But I got the feeling it's normal right now. Though my hair doesn't take ages to dry. These things tell me my hair is low (to medium) porosity. My hair stays on top of the water as well, which conforms my thoughts.

meteor
August 6th, 2014, 08:37 AM

I think it's pretty hard to judge porosity by that test. Check out the same blog for how to measure hair porosity: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2012/06/hair-porosity-how-to-measure-sort-of.html and this: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2011/09/porosity-in-hair.html

And if you also need to measure your individual hair strand thickness/coarseness, check out this article: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2012/06/is-your-hair-fine-medium-or-coarse-how.html

I think porosity and individual hair thickness/coarseness are some of the tricky yet important qualities of hair to figure out.

I highly recommend Science-y Hair Blog for lots and lots of questions, and I read it often. :)

MINAKO
August 6th, 2014, 09:17 AM
I think it's pretty hard to judge porosity by that test. Check out the same blog for how to measure hair porosity: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2012/06/hair-porosity-how-to-measure-sort-of.html and this: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2011/09/porosity-in-hair.html And if you also need to measure your individual hair strand thickness/coarseness, check out this article: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2012/06/is-your-hair-fine-medium-or-coarse-how.html I think porosity and individual hair thickness/coarseness are some of the tricky yet important qualities of hair to figure out. I highly recommend Science-y Hair Blog for lots and lots of questions, and I read it often. :) Ohhh, i have to do this measuring test. Indeed, the better condition my hair is in, the more i get the idea that there are actually far less coarsies than i thought. My circumference remains the same but my hair gradualy starts to feels finer and there seems to be more and more of it throught the lengths. It's very dense at the scalp and has always been, but i think not all of these eventually made it into the pony until recently. I dunno.

meteor
August 6th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Ohhh, i have to do this measuring test. Indeed, the better condition my hair is in, the more i get the idea that there are actually far less coarsies than i thought. My circumference remains the same but my hair gradualy starts to feels finer and there seems to be more and more of it throught the lengths. It's very dense at the scalp and has always been, but i think not all of these eventually made it into the pony until recently. I dunno.

That's a great sign, MINAKO! I think many LHC-ers notice this gradual movement of thickness down the length (i.e. reduction of all sorts of breakage) due to fewer damaging treatments and better care. Have you been heat-styling less than usual or using gentler detangling techniques or putting hair up more? These would be my first guesses as to why it's happening. Many people have a mix of hairs of F, M and C. What if your finer textured hair is being preserved better now where in the past it might not have grown to its full potential?

AmberJewel
August 7th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Yay, a thread for low porosity people! I understand that it's technically a good thing, but I really hate the easily breaking part. Anyone have experience coming this problem? Even when finger combing I'll sometimes not notice I've got a snag until after the "snap". It has gotten better now that I'm learning to show down and not be in such a hurry, but it still happens too often.

Unlike the article though, CO washing normally works for my hair. Maybe because I like to add some honey to the conditioner?

battles
August 7th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Yay, a thread for low porosity people! I understand that it's technically a good thing, but I really hate the easily breaking part. Anyone have experience coming this problem? Even when finger combing I'll sometimes not notice I've got a snag until after the "snap". It has gotten better now that I'm learning to show down and not be in such a hurry, but it still happens too often.

Unlike the article though, CO washing normally works for my hair. Maybe because I like to add some honey to the conditioner?

It's an elasticity thing, I think. I have low elasticity as well, so I get the snapping quite easily. :( I only detangle in the shower with a ton of conditioner or use a tangle teezer right beforehand. Combs cause snapping.

LadyCelestina
August 7th, 2014, 01:04 PM
AmberJewel,are you sure the hairs are actually breaking?
My hair can make a sort of a guitar string noise.It's a pop sound but a different 'pop' than when it breaks :D

AmberJewel
August 10th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure, LadyCelestina. I always just assumed the hair was breaking. I'll have to pay better attention to this. I'm also thinking about weaning myself off the comb. I hate having tangles in the ends, which always happens with my fine, 2a hair. But it's worth a try if it'll help cut down on splits and such.

I appreciate the advice everyone.

meteor
August 10th, 2014, 05:09 PM
AmberJewel, for the low elasticity issues and brittleness that you are describing, I highly recommend oils:
- pre-poo heavy oilings (with penetrating oils like coconut, olive, avocado, etc);
- leave-in light oilings (with light, "sealing" oils like mineral, grapeseed, sweet almond, etc).

jackie_rapunzel
August 10th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Thank you for posting this. I have very low-porous hair and it's nice to know other people have the same thing. For the longest time I thought it was damaged or I was doing something incorrectly -- I had a hair dresser recently mention low-porosity so this is a nice confirmation.

It does stink that our type does not condition as easily, but this article is an awesome place for some tips.

AmberJewel
August 11th, 2014, 06:24 PM
At the moment, the only oils I have are coconut and olive. I made a mixture of coconut with a little olive, used it as a pre-wash, left it in overnight, then did my normal CO wash. I definitely think it helps. Now to acquire some of the lighter ones...