PDA

View Full Version : Help! My hair is greasy

florenonite
August 5th, 2014, 03:47 AM
For years I've been an every-other-day washer. This past year, when I've had a lot of early morning lectures, I've tended to wash in the evening. If I washed Sunday evening, I'd have to wash again before class on Wednesday, but my hair would be fine on Tuesday. It lasted more or less 48 hours between washes. For me, day 1 hair is "ooh, soft and fluffy", day 2 hair is "wear it up, no one'll notice", day 3 hair is "eww, must wash". Traditionally I label with day 1 being the first full day after a wash (so wash day when I wash in the morning, the day after wash day if I wash in the evening).

Lately, however, when I wash my hair in the evening I wake up with day 2 hair. This isn't so bad at the moment, because I'm writing up my dissertation so I can wash in the morning or sit around with greasy hair, but I start my new job on Monday and I don't know what I'll do then. If I wash in the evening, I'll have to wash every evening, and that will only be a short-term solution; I know from experience that if I start washing every day my hair will just get greasy faster, so soon washing in the evening won't even keep it clean till the end of the work day. I can't wash in the morning, though, because I can't go to work with loose wet hair. Washing and putting it up will just make it greasy, and I don't have time to blow dry. Possibly I could wash first thing in the morning and put it up when I get to work, giving it 1.5-2 hours to dry, but that's kind of a last resort.

tl;dr: I'm trying to stretch my washes back out from 1.5 days to 2 days, which is what they were until suddenly my scalp decided to huff at me. I suspect it might be because of the heat and humidity, in which case waiting for cooler weather will sort it, but I can't wait.

Things I've tried:

Clarifying. This was the first thing I tried.
Lemon juice rinses. I did these in December of last year, and they allowed me to stretch my washes to every three days. I did one last night, though, and it's made no difference.
Dry shampoo on day 2. This does nothing.
Dry shampoo on day 1. The idea here was to absorb oil before it gets visible. Still nothing.
Switching shampoos. I have to be careful on this one, because my hair really hates glycerine, and my current shampoo is pretty much the only one within my budget that doesn't contain it, but I tried it anyway. No difference.

Scalp massages and BBBs are things I've done in the past but only ever make my hair greasier, so those are out, too.

I'm at a loss. I really don't think I'm asking for the world to want to have clean, presentable hair for work, but my scalp clearly has other ideas :lol:

What have I missed? Any suggestions?

Firefox7275
August 5th, 2014, 06:11 AM
I don't understand why dry shampoo does nothing, what brand did you try and what application and removal technique? I use Batiste and wipe the excess off with a soft microfibre towel, no brushing or massaging in.

What are the surfactants in your current shampoo and in the new one you have tried? What price range are you looking for (inc. pack size for comparison)? Are you willing to shop online?

Have you tried Igor's cold scalp rinse pre-shampoo to 'empty' the sebaceous glands? Article on theory appears to have gone but there might be a thread on it somewhere.

Entangled
August 5th, 2014, 06:27 AM
The greasier-when-washed-in-the-evening thing happens to me, as well. I usually do scalp only washes every other day, and one full wash a week. I don't like washing in the morning (it means I'll have wet hair for several hours, which means wearing it down), but on the other hand, washing at night makes it greasier faster. I tried stretching washes, but that was no fun. My scalp protested, so I compromised with scalp only. If dry shampoo doesn't work, you could always try baby powder. My response to greasy hair is usually some firm of French/Dutch braid. I hope some of this is helpful. Good luck!

florenonite
August 5th, 2014, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the reply ^_^

I used Nightblooming's, though I've also tried plain arrowroot powder in the past. I shook it onto my head, let it sit a few minutes, then rubbed it out with my fingers.

My current shampoo is SLS and SLES; the other one is just SLES (it also has sodium chloride, but I don't think salt's a surfactant?). I'm looking to spend no more than around £5 for a half-litre bottle, or around £1/100ml. I'm fine with shopping online, as long as the ingredients lists are readily available.

I haven't specifically tried a cold scalp rinse, though I do have rather cool showers as my skin tends to be quite sensitive to hot water, so I'm not sure how much difference it would make.

ravenreed
August 5th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Arrowroot based dry shampoo didn't work as well for me as Batiste.

Firefox7275
August 5th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the reply ^_^

I used Nightblooming's, though I've also tried plain arrowroot powder in the past. I shook it onto my head, let it sit a few minutes, then rubbed it out with my fingers.

My current shampoo is SLS and SLES; the other one is just SLES (it also has sodium chloride, but I don't think salt's a surfactant?). I'm looking to spend no more than around £5 for a half-litre bottle, or around £1/100ml. I'm fine with shopping online, as long as the ingredients lists are readily available.

I haven't specifically tried a cold scalp rinse, though I do have rather cool showers as my skin tends to be quite sensitive to hot water, so I'm not sure how much difference it would make.

The last shampoo I used was SLES only which is supposed to be gentler than SLS, the bubbles triggered my atopic eczema and my hair (and face) was greasy quickly afterwards. So it is possible it is playing a role, alongside environmental factors that you mention.

I had a quick Google for a sulphate free option, and did struggle to find anything without glycerin. There is this body wash base which is in budget if you buy in bulk after your first tester
https://www.soapkitchenonline.co.uk/acatalog/info_IN20735.html

You should be able to add natural oils to this sort of base product to make it as emollient as you choose. I know a body wash sounds odd, but they are much the same as shampoos formulation wise. My mother and I successfully used a sulphate free shower gel base from Naturally Thinking as shampoo AND body wash for a while, IIRC there was only one different ingredient at the time. Sadly they use glycerin.

Another option is to head over to the British Curlies forum and see if they have any suggestions. Sometimes low poos crop up in pound shops or discounters like Home Bargains, BodyCare and B&M.

florenonite
August 5th, 2014, 12:04 PM
The last shampoo I used was SLES only which is supposed to be gentler than SLS, the bubbles triggered my atopic eczema and my hair (and face) was greasy quickly afterwards. So it is possible it is playing a role, alongside environmental factors that you mention.

I had a quick Google for a sulphate free option, and did struggle to find anything without glycerin. There is this body wash base which is in budget if you buy in bulk after your first tester
https://www.soapkitchenonline.co.uk/acatalog/info_IN20735.html

You should be able to add natural oils to this sort of base product to make it as emollient as you choose. I know a body wash sounds odd, but they are much the same as shampoos formulation wise. My mother and I successfully used a sulphate free shower gel base from Naturally Thinking as shampoo AND body wash for a while, IIRC there was only one different ingredient at the time. Sadly they use glycerin.

Another option is to head over to the British Curlies forum and see if they have any suggestions. Sometimes low poos crop up in pound shops or discounters like Home Bargains, BodyCare and B&M.

I hadn't even thought about the sulfates being a problem; I do have eczema elsewhere so it's possible my scalp is also being irritated. I've been using this shampoo with SLS/SLES for over a year; is it possible it's just now becoming a bother?

I'm a bit sceptical about using something sulfate-free, as my scalp gets greasy so easily, but as it's a body wash then I guess I can always use it to shave my legs if it doesn't work out on my hair. Thanks for the link!

ETA: Silly question, maybe, but can I just use this base on its own?

Nini
August 5th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Maybe you need to clean your pillowcase more often now as it's Summer. Or maybe you changed your washing powder?

florenonite
August 5th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Maybe you need to clean your pillowcase more often now as it's Summer. Or maybe you changed your washing powder?

Same washing powder as usual, but that's a good point about the pillowcase. I tend not to think about this kind of thing so haven't been changing it any more often :p

Anje
August 5th, 2014, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if stress from dissertating is contributing, honestly. I swear my hair gets greasy faster when I'm stressing about stuff (though it's possible I just don't want to be bothered with something like washing my hair, so it seems to sneak up on me faster). I also get oilier with sulfates, but I recall your scalp doesn't typically react as much as mine does to harsh cleansing by increasing oil.

I don't see any reason why you can't use that body wash base on its own. It looks like it's intended to be scented and used without any other additions, so it's not like it'll be harsh if you don't dilute it.

Firefox7275
August 5th, 2014, 03:24 PM
I hadn't even thought about the sulfates being a problem; I do have eczema elsewhere so it's possible my scalp is also being irritated. I've been using this shampoo with SLS/SLES for over a year; is it possible it's just now becoming a bother?

I'm a bit sceptical about using something sulfate-free, as my scalp gets greasy so easily, but as it's a body wash then I guess I can always use it to shave my legs if it doesn't work out on my hair. Thanks for the link!

ETA: Silly question, maybe, but can I just use this base on its own?

Absolutely can use the base just as it comes, only suggesting it can be modified if you are not wowed straight away. The best cleansing agent that is not a sulphate/ anionic is probably cocoamidopropyl betaine. It can be used to clarify yet is much less irritating to skin. Unfortunately I don't know of a CB shampoo without glycerin in your price bracket but the British Curlies might.
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/06/are-sulfate-free-shampoos-really.html
http://www.eczema.org/aqeous

Things change through the life course, we can become more or less reactive depending on environmental factors, nutritional status, pregnancy/ breast feeding and Anje makes an excellent point about stress.

Plenty of us can shift a heavy oiling with the relatively weak cleansing agents (catrionic surfactants/ fatty alcohols) in light conditioners, in that scenario it is primarily about technique and secondly quantity. IMO with modern high foam shampoos we can get lazy about massage and just expect the surfactants to do all the work: think of the Fairy liquid advert where one (sulphate laden) drop clears four plates of oily water with just a finger touch.

I hope you can find a solution!

Caraid♫
August 5th, 2014, 04:09 PM
I second the pillowcase suggestion- my hair definitely gets greasier faster when if I go a couple days over when it should be time to change it.
Also I find that if I'm going to stretch to three days between washes, I can't shampoo once, I have to do it twice in one shower and scrub my scalp very thoroughly both times. Baking soda on it's own is too drying generally for me, but sometimes I'll just sprinkle a tiny bit (like a 1/4 tsp) into my handful of shampoo and mix it in (it's like I'm on a cooking show in the shower :laugh: ) and it gets my hair feeling extra clean. I also finish with a vinegar rinse, but I don't know if that has anything to do with preventing greasy hair
I don't know if that's what your hair needs, but hopefully it's an idea for you :)

Addy
August 7th, 2014, 09:12 PM
I don't know if you're still looking for tips or what not but... my hair was super greasy today and I heard that cornstarch can get you through by applying to the scalp and hair and OMG did it do the trick for me! I was pleasantly surprised at how clean my hair looked after putting it in my hands and rubbing it through my hair and scalp. It has earned a spot in my hair routine when I don't have time to wash (I am a new Grandma to a soon to be walking 16m old little girl who I get to love on 3-4 days a week)! :bounce:

spidermom
August 7th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Do you condition, too? If so, try conditioning first, rinsing, then washing. I used to do that in the summer. I'm less greasy these days. There has to be an advantage to aging, right?

Syren_Curls
August 7th, 2014, 09:51 PM
I know you mentioned that you clarified... I'm wondering if you also chelated?

Also, if you think the eczema is the culprit, try an aloe juice rinse for your scalp and see if that helps.

And good luck with the dissertation -- or, as I called mine, The Disdain ;-/

Keepitgrowing31
August 7th, 2014, 10:41 PM
I am sorry that dry shampoo has not worked for you. That would have been my first suggestion. I believe the trick to extending the time in between washes is to train your scalp and hair. It sounds like you may be washing your hair too much, causing your sebaceous glands to work overtime to replenish the oils you have stripped away from your scalp. Try gradually extending the time in between washes. I did this and it has worked for me.:)

florenonite
August 8th, 2014, 03:35 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if stress from dissertating is contributing, honestly. I swear my hair gets greasy faster when I'm stressing about stuff (though it's possible I just don't want to be bothered with something like washing my hair, so it seems to sneak up on me faster). I also get oilier with sulfates, but I recall your scalp doesn't typically react as much as mine does to harsh cleansing by increasing oil.

I don't see any reason why you can't use that body wash base on its own. It looks like it's intended to be scented and used without any other additions, so it's not like it'll be harsh if you don't dilute it.

Oh, I hadn't even thought about the dissertation stress. That could well be contributing. I'm just about to head off to hand it in, so hopefully I'll have a nice, relaxing, less-greasy weekend :P

I second the pillowcase suggestion- my hair definitely gets greasier faster when if I go a couple days over when it should be time to change it.
Also I find that if I'm going to stretch to three days between washes, I can't shampoo once, I have to do it twice in one shower and scrub my scalp very thoroughly both times. Baking soda on it's own is too drying generally for me, but sometimes I'll just sprinkle a tiny bit (like a 1/4 tsp) into my handful of shampoo and mix it in (it's like I'm on a cooking show in the shower :laugh: ) and it gets my hair feeling extra clean. I also finish with a vinegar rinse, but I don't know if that has anything to do with preventing greasy hair
I don't know if that's what your hair needs, but hopefully it's an idea for you :)

Unfortunately, I already shampoo twice every time I wash. I might try a wee bit of baking soda, though.

Do you condition, too? If so, try conditioning first, rinsing, then washing. I used to do that in the summer. I'm less greasy these days. There has to be an advantage to aging, right?

I don't condition. I do use a 2-in-1 shampoo, because it's the only one I've found without glycerine, which is probably contributing, unfortunately, but I don't do traditional conditioning.

I know you mentioned that you clarified... I'm wondering if you also chelated?

Also, if you think the eczema is the culprit, try an aloe juice rinse for your scalp and see if that helps.

And good luck with the dissertation -- or, as I called mine, The Disdain ;-/

Well, my clarifying shampoo contains chelating ingredients, and I did a lemon juice rinse the other day; I think that should have me covered on the chelation front, shouldn't it?

Ooh, where would I get aloe juice? I've never seen it in shops.

I am sorry that dry shampoo has not worked for you. That would have been my first suggestion. I believe the trick to extending the time in between washes is to train your scalp and hair. It sounds like you may be washing your hair too much, causing your sebaceous glands to work overtime to replenish the oils you have stripped away from your scalp. Try gradually extending the time in between washes. I did this and it has worked for me.:)

Sadly, I've been trying that for eight years, and I'm 90% sure my scalp doesn't give a crap how often I wash it, as long as I don't wash it more than every two days (then it does kick up the oil production). I've gone for weeks only washing twice a week when I didn't have anywhere to be, and my scalp was always greasy within 48 hours of washing.

polishrose
August 8th, 2014, 05:35 PM
You can get aloe juice in Holland & Barrett :) Saw it there today.

Ingrid
August 8th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Have you tried doing a nettle hair rinse? It really balances out the scalp and at the same time cuts through the grease. It doesn't "strip" the hair of natural oils like some harsher cleansers, which can actually contribute to increasing oil production.

lapushka
August 8th, 2014, 06:24 PM
I don't condition. I do use a 2-in-1 shampoo, because it's the only one I've found without glycerine, which is probably contributing, unfortunately, but I don't do traditional conditioning.

In that case, I'd clarify with a sulfate, non-silicone shampoo (the conditioner in the 2 in 1 might be contributing to the greasies). Then follow by a regular conditioner and only apply it to your lengths.

rosance
August 9th, 2014, 01:34 AM
I have always had problems with greasy hair. I tried many things, but what has helped the most is diluted shampoo. I use one ounce of sulfate shampoo diluted in 5 ounces of water. I place the mixture in a hairspray bottle and just spray it all over scalp, massage and rinse. I do this only once per wash. I used to have greasy hair by the end of second day hair, but now I can go up to four days when I start noticing little bit of greasy hair, as if I was on the end of second day.

florenonite
August 12th, 2014, 03:28 PM
In that case, I'd clarify with a sulfate, non-silicone shampoo (the conditioner in the 2 in 1 might be contributing to the greasies). Then follow by a regular conditioner and only apply it to your lengths.

Okay, so I did clarify a week or two ago and followed it with my normal shampoo, because my clarifying shampoo contains glycerine. The problem my hair has with glycerine is that I live in a damp climate, and my hair is thick and has low-porosity. Combine those things with a humectant, like glycerine, and it very quickly builds up and my hair just doesn't dry. Glycerine's okay on my scalp, it's just from the ears down that it gets nasty.

Anyway, so I used the 2-in-1 to remove all the glycerine from my hair, but the clarifying didn't seem to do anything. I clarified again on Sunday evening, by just doing two lathers with my clarifying shampoo, and my hair turned out nicely. My scalp's also happier than it has been lately. I'm wondering if maybe I can make both my scalp and my length happy by applying a glycerine-free conditioner before shampooing, and then using a regular shampoo on my scalp. I've been pretty hesitant to experiment because I lived for months with horribly stringy hair before I realised the glycerine was the culprit, but of course I need to do something to keep my scalp happy now.

lapushka
August 12th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Okay, so I did clarify a week or two ago and followed it with my normal shampoo, because my clarifying shampoo contains glycerine. The problem my hair has with glycerine is that I live in a damp climate, and my hair is thick and has low-porosity. Combine those things with a humectant, like glycerine, and it very quickly builds up and my hair just doesn't dry. Glycerine's okay on my scalp, it's just from the ears down that it gets nasty.

Anyway, so I used the 2-in-1 to remove all the glycerine from my hair, but the clarifying didn't seem to do anything. I clarified again on Sunday evening, by just doing two lathers with my clarifying shampoo, and my hair turned out nicely. My scalp's also happier than it has been lately. I'm wondering if maybe I can make both my scalp and my length happy by applying a glycerine-free conditioner before shampooing, and then using a regular shampoo on my scalp. I've been pretty hesitant to experiment because I lived for months with horribly stringy hair before I realised the glycerine was the culprit, but of course I need to do something to keep my scalp happy now.

I don't think switching it up once in a while is going to hurt. :)