PDA

View Full Version : The Official Puny Bun Club!

Pages : [1] 2

swords & roses
August 4th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Greetings, and welcome to the Puny Bun Club!

Whether you're a permanent member, or just visiting the Lands of the Small Updo on your journey to larger tracts of land--er--hair, gather round this thread & share your tales!

swords & roses
August 4th, 2014, 10:10 PM
I have always had, and will always have, a Puny Bun. I'm at TBL, and my Lazy Wrap bun (the widest, loosest bun I know how to do at the moment) has only a 3.5" diameter.

Irony: my non-hair buns are quite large. :eyebrows: Balance in the Force, I suppose!

lunasea
August 4th, 2014, 10:14 PM
Yay! Our time has come! I was born to be a member of this club. I have tried stuffing my bun with everything from knee high nylons (socks are beyond my capability) to those kitchen scrubber net forms you see at the store. In the end there is only me and my itty-bitty bun. I put big, flashy pins in it but if the truth is known, I can hold it up with one mini claw clip. I look upon those with head eating buns and despair. And yet, my tiny bun is easy to put up, so for every dark cloud there is a silver lining.

swords & roses
August 4th, 2014, 10:27 PM
I just count myself fortunate to not have headache-inducing hair! I'll take a puny bun over an aching skull any day!

neko_kawaii
August 4th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Three cheers for the Puny Bun Club! *cheers* *cheers* *cheers*

I was once in your ranks, but mine seems to have grown in the past year. *looks amazed* Big or small, I love them all. There must be some small bun musical equivalent to "I like big buns and I cannot lie". . .

Alaska98
August 4th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Count me in! I think I hope I'm just visiting. I'm overcoming some major shedding and only bsl, so we'll see. Greetings, all!

Larki
August 4th, 2014, 10:29 PM
The only bun I know how to do right now is the cinnabun/braided cinnabun, and it's about 4" across, maybe a little less. :p

Alaska98
August 4th, 2014, 10:30 PM
I just count myself fortunate to not have headache-inducing hair! I'll take a puny bun over an aching skull any day! agreed!

:)

ravenheather
August 4th, 2014, 10:30 PM
If there's not, there should be. I am a member of the puny bun club. So I just focus on pretty toys.

Atira
August 4th, 2014, 10:34 PM
I belong here! I have hip length very fine and thin hair.

maborosi
August 4th, 2014, 10:35 PM
I envy people who have puny buns 'cause you guys can show off your gorgeous hairtoys AND your buns are way easier to fit into hats and stuff. :P

Grass is always greener I suppose!

neko_kawaii
August 4th, 2014, 10:42 PM
I envy people who have puny buns 'cause you guys can show off your gorgeous hairtoys AND your buns are way easier to fit into hats and stuff. :P

Grass is always greener I suppose!

And more styles at shorter lengths. *grin*

Kelli Kat
August 4th, 2014, 10:46 PM
BSL is my terminal length and my hair is very fine, so my buns are and always will be very puny and I just had to cut off 4 inches of damages so its even smaller now.

My other buns are quite large as well, but I'm working on those though, and started weight watchers at the beginning of the year. :)

divinedobbie
August 4th, 2014, 10:52 PM
Oh this thread is the story of my life. Count me in :D

DKSABS
August 4th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Subscribing! I definitely belong and am not just visiting on my way to grander buns. I have fine, thin hair (ponytail circumference is exactly 2 inches) and have been shedding a lot this year, to the point that I have visible bald patches on the top of my head. Another LHCer encouraged me to see my dermatologist and request a scalp biopsy so we would know what was the cause - and the biopsy ended up giving me the diagnosis of androgenetic alopecia. At this point, I'm hoping to hang onto the hair I have left. It would be really nice if some new hair would grow to cover the bald patches a little better, but that isn't very likely. One thing I've learned is that my buns appear a little larger in size when I use a 4 prong Jeterfork on a LWB, and they are teeny tiny when using a stick or 2 prong fork on a cinnabun. I've been considering ordering a 5 prong Jeterfork to see if that would help even more than my 4 prong forks but haven't done so yet.

AspenSong
August 4th, 2014, 11:11 PM
I may have to join.... my hair is mid-thigh and my buns are puny.....unless I use loose bun poof magic to create "lie huns". Lol

RapunzelKat
August 4th, 2014, 11:50 PM
I prefer to think of it as petite :rolling: :rolling:

I am definitely a member, though, I have seriously shocked people by pulling past-classic hair out of my modest little bun.
I'm a stealth longhair :cool:

lunasea
August 4th, 2014, 11:57 PM
Stealth longhair; I love it!

Stray_mind
August 5th, 2014, 12:26 AM
I'll join for awhile, because my hair is still short and my bun is a small little thing yet, but i hope that one day it'll become bigger :)

Beezle
August 5th, 2014, 01:20 AM
Oh yes please - permanent membership required!

And "complementary" non-hair huge buns are not shrinking one iota despite going on no-sugar, no-grain for nearly four months! Why suffer for no benefit? Sigh.

Stray_mind
August 5th, 2014, 02:25 AM
My non-hair buns got 5-6 cm smaller since i started working out and eating only 2 times per day....

Majorane
August 5th, 2014, 03:20 AM
While I am pretty good in fluffing the bun, when I bun for serious action my bun is measley sad small. The fluffed buns look nice, but they fall apart in an hour or so. Or are secretly hanging together with loads of pins. A happy tight alldaystaybun? Like an apricot. Buuuuhuuu!

However, the bunS are the pride and joy of the family. I'm the only one with a decent set of buns. They have the boobies, I have the buns. Fine by me!

Anyone want a baby tomato? Bun friendly snack...! *passes plate*

Zebra Fish
August 5th, 2014, 03:23 AM
Pick me pick me :joy: I'm definitely here and will probably stay here. Reaaallyyyy fine and compact hair. Weeeeee we finally got an official puny bun club :D

SnowbirdRose
August 5th, 2014, 04:56 AM
Don't think I can join for another year or so. At what length could you start putting your fine hair in a bun?

swords & roses
August 5th, 2014, 05:32 AM
I may have to join.... my hair is mid-thigh and my buns are puny.....unless I use loose bun poof magic to create "lie huns". Lol

What sorcery is this?? Teach us your ways! :D

swords & roses
August 5th, 2014, 05:33 AM
I prefer to think of it as petite :rolling: :rolling:

I am definitely a member, though, I have seriously shocked people by pulling past-classic hair out of my modest little bun.

Love this! We're just a bunch of LongHair Ninjas, over here! ;)

swords & roses
August 5th, 2014, 05:36 AM
Don't think I can join for another year or so. At what length could you start putting your fine hair in a bun?

Oh, stay & play anyway! We're going to have lots of fun here, I'm sure!

I think I was able to do a cinnabun somewhere around BSL. But that was ages ago, so I'm not sure!

swords & roses
August 5th, 2014, 05:49 AM
I logged in this morning to over 20 new posts while I slept! Welcome, one & all!

I think I've just about given up on cinnabuns (the hair kind. I will never pass up the pastry kind). When I put my hair up in a cinnabun, the outer layers just suck up under the first coil like no tomorrow, transforming the cinnabun into a lame bee butt bun. Only way I've been able to do a true cinnamon bun is to pin like crazy with every coil. I dislike pinning.

I think part of the hair-envy we small-bunners feel when seeing these head eating buns on the forums is due to the trickery of the camera lens. Many LHCers take updo shots by holding the camera behind their heads. The closer the camera is to an object, the larger it appears compared to things behind it. For example, if you hold your hand in front of your computer screen, arm outstretched, you can see the monitor just fine; bring your hand up close to your face, & it blocks out the monitor. So I just try to keep that visual distortion in mind when I see some of these head-eating buns. "Yes they're huge, but not as huge as it seems."

Now as for booty buns, I come by those honest. All the women on my mom's side, skinny & heavy alike, have what I affectionately term "shelf butt"--we could literally set something on our behinds while standing up, & it would stay there. I always laugh when I see those booty-boosting pads at Walmart or whatever, because I SOOO don't need those! It's kind of nice to know that people pay money for what genetics gave me, lol!

islandboo
August 5th, 2014, 06:02 AM
My people! I also get the amazed comments from bystanders when I let my updo down and my little bitty nub of a bun suddenly becomes butt length hair. I have to have the majority of my hairtoys customized and am in the process of letting a bunch go that I bought "to grow into" because that just never really happened.

islandboo
August 5th, 2014, 06:18 AM
I think part of the hair-envy we small-bunners feel when seeing these head eating buns on the forums is due to the trickery of the camera lens. Many LHCers take updo shots by holding the camera behind their heads. The closer the camera is to an object, the larger it appears compared to things behind it. For example, if you hold your hand in front of your computer screen, arm outstretched, you can see the monitor just fine; bring your hand up close to your face, & it blocks out the monitor. So I just try to keep that visual distortion in mind when I see some of these head-eating buns. "Yes they're huge, but not as huge as it seems."

I don't know, I have met some of those ladies IRL and their buns really are as immense as they look on camera. I go by hairtoy comparison. If a 7" stick in their bun looks like a 5" does in mine, they are rocking a big bun, haha! But those things are heavy and unwieldy so I don't really get jealous. I would like a little more hair than I have but not a lot :shrug:

swords & roses
August 5th, 2014, 06:24 AM
Haha! Fair enough! I don't really have any LHCers around, that I know of, so I haven't seen any head eating buns "in the wild" yet. Good point on the hair toys, though! Heck, I'm starting to realize even a 5.5" stick is too long for me!

diddiedaisy
August 5th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Count me in, I can get my buns completely flat lol. I reckon I get a golf ball sized bun on a good day. I'm almost apl with a 2 in pony diameter. I am hoping to increase this though when my new growth gets longer. I shall post a picture later, I've already done my hair for today.

StellaKatherine
August 5th, 2014, 07:09 AM
I truely belong here. I need to fight with my hair to make my bun look slightly bigger. Loosen it from all sides and such. :) People always looks suprised when they see my lenght compred to my bun :D

slynr
August 5th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Yeah..this is totally me. I have an itty bitty bun. Like others sometime I can fluff it out and do one that looks a lot bigger but on the whole it is about the size of a peach. Its a problem with hairtoys sometimes because I will fall in love with things and buy them because I just can resist. Only to realize, yep, too long. That's where most of my hair toy sales come from. Things that are gorgeous but just too big.

I don't wish for anything else though. I like that it is smooth and silky (except for the bleach STILL growing out!). I like my little bun. I just have to get better about buying things the right size.

ravenheather
August 5th, 2014, 07:39 AM
My people! I also get the amazed comments from bystanders when I let my updo down and my little bitty nub of a bun suddenly becomes butt length hair. I have to have the majority of my hairtoys customized and am in the process of letting a bunch go that I bought "to grow into" because that just never really happened.

I still have a handful of toys that I can wear but will look better if my bun "fills out" a little. But I am only bsl, so we shall see what it is when I get a little longer.

Beezle
August 5th, 2014, 07:43 AM
I have been glued to the grahtoe thread for ages. Just admiring. And wishing. Of course there is no way I will ever graduate to grahtoe, my goodness those things are huge, but it never hurts to dream.:shrug: Meanwhile my 5" ketylo in a LWB slides out at least 4 times a day for want of something to hold onto.Sigh.

slynr
August 5th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Ravenheather, you are in my exact position. I am about MBL and hoping for a bit bigger bun not for any other reason than hair toy use. Although I have come to the realization that it is head size as much as bun size that determines what a toy will look like on me. Never had any reason to care before but now I realize I also have a very small head. These two things combined really do lend themselves to specific hair toys.

Definitely a learning curve involved:)

neko_kawaii
August 5th, 2014, 07:46 AM

The first time I managed to hold a camera behind and take an in focus picture I felt like a big bun imposter. Yes, there is a point where the shot makes things appear larger than they are!

I don't know, I have met some of those ladies IRL and their buns really are as immense as they look on camera. I go by hairtoy comparison. If a 7" stick in their bun looks like a 5" does in mine, they are rocking a big bun, haha! But those things are heavy and unwieldy so I don't really get jealous. I would like a little more hair than I have but not a lot :shrug:

Oh, there are certainly huge buns out there! But a camera at arms length on macro setting will exaggerate.

For those interested in bulking up their bun, sometimes I do side twists and I use little claws to hold the twists in place. I place them just under where the bun will be. I have a video around here somewhere. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mlyaRdVq40&feature=youtu.be

slynr
August 5th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Beezle- you can wear gts but you just have to order the right one:) I have some mini mermaids tails and also mini 3 prongs that are fabulous.

Gts does small. They aren't the ones you see most often but they do them. I say when you are ready message kimi and tell her about your baby bun. She will hook you up:)

Kherome
August 5th, 2014, 08:10 AM
One thing I've learned is that my buns appear a little larger in size when I use a 4 prong Jeterfork on a LWB, and they are teeny tiny when using a stick or 2 prong fork on a cinnabun. I've been considering ordering a 5 prong Jeterfork to see if that would help even more than my 4 prong forks but haven't done so yet.

Oh yes, me too. Jeter forks make my bun look much larger.

Also my experience. No one can believe how long my hair actually is when I unroll a bun.

islandboo
August 5th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Beezle- you can wear gts but you just have to order the right one:) I have some mini mermaids tails and also mini 3 prongs that are fabulous.

Gts does small. They aren't the ones you see most often but they do them. I say when you are ready message kimi and tell her about your baby bun. She will hook you up:)

^This. I have had to get rid of a few GTS that are too long/heavy for me (weight is most commonly the issue I run into, I just don't have enough hairs per square inch of scalp to support heavier woods) but I still have over a dozen GTS forks that I adore. And the little bullet sticks are amazing for puny buns.

islandboo
August 5th, 2014, 08:19 AM
I have been glued to the grahtoe thread for ages. Just admiring. And wishing. Of course there is no way I will ever graduate to grahtoe, my goodness those things are huge, but it never hurts to dream.:shrug: Meanwhile my 5" ketylo in a LWB slides out at least 4 times a day for want of something to hold onto.Sigh.

I can't get ketylos (or any stick, really) to work in a LWB - I use forks for that style. But a Ketylo in a nautilus or other center held bun will hold all day long. And if I *really* want a stick to stay, Neoma Knot is the way to go. Even my Teflon hair can't weasel out of that one.

two_wheels
August 5th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Yay, can I come & play?

This! babythrenody in babybun, one of my most comfortable forks, I'm gonna cry if/when I grow out of it (and probably ask them to make me another)
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb359/wheels_two/20140627a_zpsfb348b44.jpg

I also have a very dainty and light purpleheart GTS that is actually too small for me now.

diddiedaisy
August 5th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Yay, can I come & play?

This! babythrenody in babybun, one of my most comfortable forks, I'm gonna cry if/when I grow out of it (and probably ask them to make me another)
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb359/wheels_two/20140627a_zpsfb348b44.jpg

I also have a very dainty and light purpleheart GTS that is actually too small for me now.

That's a nice bun two-wheels, I can't do things like that!! There are some gorgeous buns out there, but I have neither the skill or hair to any of them lol

Beezle
August 5th, 2014, 08:45 AM

Ahhhh, Two_wheels, that's not actually a baby bun! Seriously.

two_wheels
August 5th, 2014, 09:00 AM
The camera is doing that weird macro thing in that pic, I swear :)

ETA I'm not complaining by the way, I think small buns are cute :D

Beezle
August 5th, 2014, 09:04 AM
I can't get ketylos (or any stick, really) to work in a LWB - I use forks for that style. But a Ketylo in a nautilus or other center held bun will hold all day long.

I can't get a three-tine fork to hold at all in a LWB but hope it will get some use later. Off now to see if my hair is long enough for a nautilus. Thanks for the tip.

Alaska98
August 5th, 2014, 09:07 AM
I can't get ketylos (or any stick, really) to work in a LWB - I use forks for that style. But a Ketylo in a nautilus or other center held bun will hold all day long. And if I *really* want a stick to stay, Neoma Knot is the way to go. Even my Teflon hair can't weasel out of that one.

What is this neoma knot you speak of? I did a Google search which led me me to an old thread here. It had a link to instructions, but the link was broken. I probably can't do it yet.
Most buns (that I can find) I don't have length for yet. I need more tutorials! I keep watching the ones for uberlong hair and think 'someday!'

Neecola
August 5th, 2014, 09:09 AM
I belong here! I do the fluffing up or very loosely bunning ... most of my updos are 85% air!

Beezle
August 5th, 2014, 09:18 AM

Thanks Slynr. I'll have a look at the minis and the bullet sticks that Islandboo mentioned. It's frustrating when you finally get your order and then it won't work, so I'll wait a while for my next adventure. Luckily I'm still impressed by a hairstick holding up a bun - it really is very clever.

swords & roses
August 5th, 2014, 09:27 AM
For those interested in bulking up their bun, sometimes I do side twists and I use little claws to hold the twists in place. I place them just under where the bun will be. I have a video around here somewhere. . .

Oooh, very nice updo, Neko! I'll have to remember that! I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding next spring, & already thinking of fancy updos to do. ;)

swords & roses
August 5th, 2014, 09:33 AM

Oh, maybe this is my problem. I've been trying to wear single sticks in my LWB the past week, & the bun just falls out in about an hour. (My usual Fake-care which I adored broke. :cry: ) Thought the slippage was just the change in washing/conditioning, but maybe it's just not a good stick style.

What's a Neoma Knot? I must google that!

And Teflon, huh? Yeah, that sounds like an accurate description for my hair: absolutely non-stick hair! Everything slides right out!

swords & roses
August 5th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Oh no! A double post! As a consolation prize, please accept my humble offering of a kitty picture. Because the internet is made for cats.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t1.0-9/261709_615622900330_5181482_n.jpg

AspenSong
August 5th, 2014, 10:05 AM
What sorcery is this?? Teach us your ways! :D

Lie Buns are any wrappy buns for me. I can do them loose and pull the hair looser when it's up and it looks bigger. Sadly I'm not usually fond of those though because they end up falling out sooner. Anything where my hair is twisted or wrapped tighter, results in itty bitty bun. My hair compacts very well. =P I can use a 4" shawl pin from Elk and Iron, as a stick in my nautilus or my bee butt bun. *smh*

kdaniels8811
August 5th, 2014, 10:38 AM
If I wrap my hair loosely the buns fall out, even using ficcare's. And my circumference is only 1 3/4" with the ends touching waist. But .... I am outgrowing 4" forks and sticks so that is progress, right? I can still use them but they disappear. I have found dry shampoo applied to my temples makes my hair look fuller in the front which is all I care about anyway. I make it with rice flour and lavender, smells yummy!

Beezle
August 5th, 2014, 11:13 AM

Islandboo thank you so much. I lack the manual dexterity for the usual nautilus but found one by caraXmea (sorry I have no clue of how to link her tutorial using an ipad) where she does a simpler version where the hand isn't twisted. And it's great! I can feel exactly what you meant about the hold - it's just so much more solid than the LWB, even without the hair twist. So thanks for the guidance, and thanks to swords & roses for starting the thread. And, no, two_wheels I won't show my gnat-baby bun!:flasher:

Silverbrumby
August 5th, 2014, 12:17 PM
I'm another bsl terminal with a puny bun. There are upsides. I never pay for a haircut, use less product and get to buy hair toys.

BSL is my terminal length and my hair is very fine, so my buns are and always will be very puny and I just had to cut off 4 inches of damages so its even smaller now.

My other buns are quite large as well, but I'm working on those though, and started weight watchers at the beginning of the year. :)

Agnes Hannah
August 5th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Count me in! I've got tiny buns too. Easy to put up in a claw though. I'm just approaching waist slowly, very slowly, and have 2" pony circumference. I also have a four pronged jeter and it does help.

Marika
August 5th, 2014, 12:38 PM
I'll join the club! :) I wore a nautilus bun with two claw clips today and man, was it small and flat! :boohoo:

rags
August 5th, 2014, 01:31 PM
Yeah, I'm a permanent member here. My pony is 1.75" and my hair is waist - but it tapers a fair amount past APL. I don't think I'll make it back to my before-chronic-illness terminal of TB.

I also have Teflon hair (or I call it Houlduni hair - it escapes everything!), but I can wear a stick in a LWB, so you just need to experiment. The thing is, in order to wear the stick, I have to wrap the bun very tightly indeed and it ends up incredibly tiny, as my hair also is baby fine and compacts something horrible,

I'm also a proponent of Jeterforks for making larger buns (though I can't do the wavy tops. They eat my HEAD). If I want to look nice for a couple of hours, it's a two prong fork in a looser bun, or a stick. If I want that sucker to HOLD, the we are talking Ficcares or three prongs or more forks in a nautilus or pencil bun. And I have the same problems as the person who said their Cinnabun looked like a weird bees butt bun. The taper is so bad that it just looks like I have one coil, not three!

Lets not even get started on braids...........:p

RapunzelKat
August 5th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Stealth longhair; I love it!

Love this! We're just a bunch of LongHair Ninjas, over here! ;)

(Removes hairstick)
(Theme from "Mission Impossible" starts playing :guns:)

Oh, and I can fake a large (well, large for me) bun with either a fully rolled sock bun or my Jeterfork. Tricks of the small-bunned :lol:

two_wheels
August 5th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Jeters *are* dark magic!!
Behold, pics taken 1 day apart for wear-em-all challenge, a couple of months ago. That's a medium flexi. I think it's probably witchcraft :magic:
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb359/wheels_two/jeter_flexi_zps44fdec53.png

rags
August 5th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Yep, mine are the same, TW!

And for whoever couldn't use a sock in a sock bin- I use a little kids sock. Like for a five year old girl (boys are usually too thick).

Neoma
August 5th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Count me in! My bun has always been relatively puny in comparison with some of the monster, head-eating, dinner-plate sized buns on LHC. (And I can attest to the fact that at least one of those buns really is that humongous in real life. I met one of our members at a LHC meet and her bun covered the entire back of her head.)

I had a horrible shed a few years ago and lost at least half of my hair. I've regrown quite a bit; I no longer have bald spots. But I don't think it will ever be restored to its pre-shed glory.

Which is all to say that my puny bun is now even punier! :scared:

My go-to bun is (not surprisingly) the Neoma knot. It looks really intricate and holds like a rock. I can secure it with one stick, but generally use two. Sometimes I'll shake things up and use a fork, generally two pronged.

My other go-to bun is what I call a Vertical Wrap bun. I make a ponytail without a holder, wrap the hair around my hand once from the bottom up then wrap the length around the base. Up to this point, I think this is just a Pencil Bun. Instead of positioning the bun so the stick is inserted horizontally, I position it so the stick goes in at 12:00 and comes out at 6:00. That makes a really nice, intricate figure-8 pattern on the left side, while the right side looks like a smooth bun. I generally add a second hair stick from 2:00 to 7:00 for security.

Another one that looks really cool but I don't do very often because I don't like "extra hardware," is a Faux Chinese Bun. You can start this one by making three bumps of an English braid in lieu of a hair elastic, but I don't find that to be as secure. For some reason, this bun looks huge (by my standards) on me. I usually add a second hair stick, which makes it look like something other than a Chinese bun, but still fabulous.

I took my hair down to show a long-haired acquaintance how to use hair sticks recently. Her jaw practically dropped and she said that she had no idea my hair was that long. (It's waist length.) Well, of course she didn't! My bun is the size of a tightly closed woman's fist.

rags
August 5th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Neoma, I cannot follow the directions I've found to make your knot. Is there anything about it besides that one cached page from old LHC? Someone needs to mak a video on this so I can figure it out! :p

islandboo
August 5th, 2014, 04:24 PM
For those who can't find the old cached page (I haven't yet!), here is an imgur album with Neoma's instructions for how to make the Neoma Knot: http://imgur.com/a/70kZU

roseomalley
August 5th, 2014, 04:32 PM
I belong here. If I ever need more than a medium flexi to hold a bun,I will be shocked.

Neoma
August 5th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Neoma, I cannot follow the directions I've found to make your knot. Is there anything about it besides that one cached page from old LHC? Someone needs to mak a video on this so I can figure it out! :pAlas, rags, the instructions that islandboo provided a link to are the only ones I have. I agree... Somebody needs to make a video! :flower:

For those who can't find the old cached page (I haven't yet!), here is an imgur album with Neoma's instructions for how to make the Neoma Knot: http://imgur.com/a/70kZUThank you for posting this, islandboo! :flowers:

RapunzelKat
August 5th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Alas, rags, the instructions that islandboo provided a link to are the only ones I have. I agree... Somebody needs to make a video! :flower:

Thank you for posting this, islandboo! :flowers:

Whoa, I got it to work! (Had to double the loops, but that's normal for my hair.) Never been able to do this one before! Thanks, islandboo and Neoma! :happydance:

chen bao jun
August 5th, 2014, 06:10 PM
I'm loving this thread. Your 'puny' buns look like normal to me. I love looking at the head-eating buns on other threads and admire them but I'm sure I'll never have one like that even with the very thick hair I have.
Actually, I'm excited still to actually be able to do real buns of any kind. I only ever knew about beebuts (as topknots) before joining LHC. I used to do something where I made a ponytail and pinned the edges down around and thought that was a bun. I am excited to be able to do a nautilus and a disc bun now even if they are 'puny'. I can also do a braided chinese. And I did a rose bun the other day! that was a thrill.
I do agree that Jeter make the most of a bun, but faux flexis aren't bad either. Look how large my bun looks in my avatar (the beaded 8 is basically holding it together--it would be a blob without that, oh well.

SnowbirdRose
August 5th, 2014, 06:14 PM
swords & roses, thank you for the double post. And what a prize it is! Love those lynx tips!

islandboo
August 5th, 2014, 06:39 PM
swords & roses, thank you for the double post. And what a prize it is! Love those lynx tips!

She is a beauty for sure!

lunasea
August 5th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Rags I'm the one that can't use a sock- no matter how small. The bun always parts like a curtain on opening night to reveal (organ music swells here) some scary thing underneath. Apparently this happens instantaneously as I walk away from the mirror and it stays that way for the rest of the day. All the nice folks around me fail to tell me and DH probably wouldn't notice if I was wearing the cat on my head (as I've alluded to before). This leaves me with that sinking feeling of mortification at the end of the day. I'm currently undergoing rehab. My therapist (the LHC) has substituted Jeterforks for bun stuffing. One day at a time......

swords & roses
August 5th, 2014, 08:04 PM

She is a beauty for sure!

Thank you! :kitten:

Neoma
August 5th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Whoa, I got it to work! (Had to double the loops, but that's normal for my hair.) Never been able to do this one before! Thanks, islandboo and Neoma! :happydance:

Whoohoo! :cheer: Pics or it didn't happen! :popcorn:

swords & roses
August 5th, 2014, 08:54 PM
I think I'm missing something on the Neoma Knot Picture Tutorial. I only come up with one loop, not two. :confused: Somebody do a video, pretty please!

islandboo
August 5th, 2014, 09:06 PM
I would consider it but 1) I have to do a weird variation since my hair is so thin and 2) I have absolutely no idea whatsoever how to upload video.

Neoma
August 5th, 2014, 09:15 PM

I think I'm missing something on the Neoma Knot Picture Tutorial. I only come up with one loop, not two. :confused: Somebody do a video, pretty please!RapunzelKat, I can't help with a video, but since you're crafty, perhaps I can help verbally... Think of it as crocheting. You are going to make a loop around your hand per the instructions islandboo provided. Then pull a second loop through the first one as if you were starting a crochet chain. Hold both of the loops open and wrap the remainder of your hair around the base until you run out of hair. Insert a hair stick through the top loop, pick up some scalp hair and bring the end of the hair stick out through the bottom loop. Done! :flower:

RapunzelKat
August 5th, 2014, 10:31 PM
:doh:
Whoohoo! :cheer: Pics or it didn't happen! :popcorn:

D'oh! :doh: I didn't think to take a pic before I took my hair down to braid for bed! I'll make sure and get one tomorrow and post it.

So I guess I should say I got it - pending submission of photographic evidence :bounce:

Syren_Curls
August 6th, 2014, 03:33 AM
Hiiiiiiii and waves :-)

I like the 'petite' buns reframe and am happy to join in on a very warm, welcoming club! I've been reading through the thread and have already picked up a few tricks for when I want my stealthy ninja bun to be incognito ;-) My first 4 prong Jeter arrived today and I thought it would be too big for me... now I know better!

I'm in bed trying to fall back asleep so I won't play with my hair now, but I am excited to try Neoma's Knot... thank you guys for the instructions and the crochet analogy :-) I will also try the faux variation of the Chinese bun... cinnabuns and I don't quite get along either, lol. But I will try the twists clipped under the bun with them and see if we can play a little nicer.

Oh, and my non-hair buns are also petite, much like the rest of my frame, but do manage to make themselves known. Smh.

Also loved the kitty pic... will share my own little furry love when I'm not being an insomniac :-)

swords & roses
August 6th, 2014, 05:45 AM
I think my issue is between steps 3 & 4 from the imgur tutorial. I bring the ponytail up over my left hand, then to the right (that made a loop), then grab the ponytail with my left fingers & pull a loop through, but this still only leaves me with one, bigger loop. :/

islandboo
August 6th, 2014, 07:03 AM
If you were to remove your fingers from the loop of hair it would remain a loop instead of falling apart because of a ring of hair at its base. That ring is the second loop or donut.

ETA: I added some more pictures to the imgur album with the instructions for the Neoma Knot that I hope might be helpful. They aren't perfect (I had to keep remaking the knot every time I took a picture) but I think they might help clear up some confusion.

Neoma
August 6th, 2014, 08:52 AM
islandboo, that's awesome! The color-coded instructions really clarify the instructions. :flowers:

On the topic of puny buns, I wanted to mention that my cleansing method has a direct impact on how puny my bun will look. If I shampoo and condition with cone-laden products, my bun will be as small as an apricot. If I do an herbal wash or use shampoo bars, my bun will graduate to peach size. :flower:

Neecola
August 6th, 2014, 10:05 AM
I am wearing my hair in a side sock bun today. I use two knee highs (pantyhose) with the bands cut off and rolled together for my sock. My hair is around BSL straight.

I was thinking this morning how much I enjoy wearing my hair in side buns and if I had really big buns, I would feel awkward wearing it on the side. Like I was two-headed or something. :lol: So I thought I would share that cheerful thought here.

Looking forward to trying the Neoma knot (if I have enough length); thanks for the link and updated instructions islandboo!

Jeter forks are now on my wish list!

diddiedaisy
August 6th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Behold ladies.....the bun hehe
http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag361/sblackburn4/Mobile%20Uploads/74329D75-D7F2-4858-A40D-582F292A63BD_zpswjmfrwjx.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/sblackburn4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/74329D75-D7F2-4858-A40D-582F292A63BD_zpswjmfrwjx.jpg.html)

Instructions available on request ;)

Fiachain
August 6th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Ooh, a club for me definately, beautiful little buns here!!

rags
August 6th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Thanks, Neoma and Boo! The color coded instructions really helped me (I was stupidly not letting it go to the left after the first step, and thus never ending up with a whole loop, and it would fall apart. Doh. ) I just made my first Neoma knot and I shall be practicing with it! Incidentally, I don't think it's made for 3 prong Jeterforks (or else my hair is still too short, as I had to keep the loops relatively small. Still pretty though!

legendya
August 6th, 2014, 06:22 PM
At first, I read this thread as "The Official Pony Bun Club!," so I was expecting buns with tails, kinda like a loop. I do that style quite a bit. Then I looked again and noticed ​Puny and I was like ohhhh. I basically belong here. My buns have always been super small (like a walnut) ever since I was young. *sigh*

swords & roses
August 6th, 2014, 08:51 PM
At first, I read this thread as "The Official Pony Bun Club!," so I was expecting buns with tails, kinda like a loop. I do that style quite a bit. Then I looked again and noticed ​Puny and I was like ohhhh. I basically belong here. My buns have always been super small (like a walnut) ever since I was young. *sigh*

And when I read Pony Bun, I instantly thought of people bunning their horses' tails, lol! Yep, you'll fit in just fine here! ;)

swords & roses
August 6th, 2014, 08:55 PM
If you were to remove your fingers from the loop of hair it would remain a loop instead of falling apart because of a ring of hair at its base. That ring is the second loop or donut.

ETA: I added some more pictures to the imgur album with the instructions for the Neoma Knot that I hope might be helpful. They aren't perfect (I had to keep remaking the knot every time I took a picture) but I think they might help clear up some confusion.

Thanks, Neoma and Boo! The color coded instructions really helped me (I was stupidly not letting it go to the left after the first step, and thus never ending up with a whole loop, and it would fall apart. Doh. ) I just made my first Neoma knot and I shall be practicing with it! Incidentally, I don't think it's made for 3 prong Jeterforks (or else my hair is still too short, as I had to keep the loops relatively small. Still pretty though!

This was exactly my problem as well! But now I've got it down! Thanks so much for the additional photos in the tutorial! :flowers:

Neoma
August 6th, 2014, 09:09 PM
You're welcome, rags! Whoohoo!

You can also insert the fork through the top hole and instead of exiting through the bottom hole exit through the edge of the bottom loop. (That sentence is awkward and I don't have the energy to fix it!) I do that with forks and it works really well. :flower:

Syren_Curls
August 6th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Here is my attempt at the Neoma Knot... I have my 4 prong Jeter fork in also :-)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff100/sallyn_album/Mobile%20Uploads/20140806_233951.jpg

ETA: I also notice that the instructions on my laptop are visible, lol.

lunasea
August 6th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Thanks for those instructions. My APL hair is just barely long enough to do that Neoma Knot over two fingers (instead of my whole hand). That said, it is perfect for holding a Ravenscroft Moon- something I've been having trouble with. This was a super quick attempt at the end of a busy day so please excuse the scalp showing through.

http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o345/slashandfang/007_zpsb0e382e8.jpg (http://s340.photobucket.com/user/slashandfang/media/007_zpsb0e382e8.jpg.html)

RapunzelKat
August 6th, 2014, 11:03 PM
Here is my attempt at the Neoma Knot... I have my 4 prong Jeter fork in also :-)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff100/sallyn_album/Mobile%20Uploads/20140806_233951.jpg

ETA: I also notice that the instructions on my laptop are visible, lol.

Syren_Curls, I think we might have the same Jeterfork! :D
My attempt tonight was a failure :lol: :p I think I need to review the instructions again. :rolling:

LauraLongLocks
August 6th, 2014, 11:34 PM
Good thread idea. My bun used to be rather puny, but it's just small (in comparison with the likes of JJJLonghair and TorrinPaige). That's okay with me. I actually don't mind a bit having a smallish bun because at hip length I am just starting to really feel the weight of some of my stick-held and flexi8 held buns, and I am enjoying headache-free updos at the moment.

RapunzelKat
August 7th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Good thread idea. My bun used to be rather puny, but it's just small (in comparison with the likes of JJJLonghair and TorrinPaige). That's okay with me. I actually don't mind a bit having a smallish bun because at hip length I am just starting to really feel the weight of some of my stick-held and flexi8 held buns, and I am enjoying headache-free updos at the moment.

:lol: Well, compared to Torrin and JJJ, my bun is downright microscopic! :D
And with your phenomenal styling skills, I'm sure you'll be able to find headache-free styles as your hair gets longer :flower:

swords & roses
August 7th, 2014, 06:17 AM
Ooh, added benefit of having a puny bun: Makes it SO much easier to hide all my hair under a wig! (We do a lot of costuming/cosplay.)

islandboo
August 7th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Thanks for those instructions. My APL hair is just barely long enough to do that Neoma Knot over two fingers (instead of my whole hand). That said, it is perfect for holding a Ravenscroft Moon- something I've been having trouble with. This was a super quick attempt at the end of a busy day so please excuse the scalp showing through.

Lunasea, my hair is thin enough that I have to do the two finger thing at classic! Your moon looks wonderful though :)

Kherome
August 7th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Jeter bun-huge-ification.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj135/iwasbornonahorse/9d42700f-5a64-4a8e-88ed-df83a5e96402_zps20dfa3f7.jpg (http://s271.photobucket.com/user/iwasbornonahorse/media/9d42700f-5a64-4a8e-88ed-df83a5e96402_zps20dfa3f7.jpg.html)

LauraLongLocks
August 7th, 2014, 10:29 AM
:lol: Well, compared to Torrin and JJJ, my bun is downright microscopic! :D
And with your phenomenal styling skills, I'm sure you'll be able to find headache-free styles as your hair gets longer :flower: Aww, thanks. I've just watched a lot of tutorials and practiced. I think sectioning will help. I like twin buns anyway.

Jeter bun-huge-ification.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj135/iwasbornonahorse/9d42700f-5a64-4a8e-88ed-df83a5e96402_zps20dfa3f7.jpg (http://s271.photobucket.com/user/iwasbornonahorse/media/9d42700f-5a64-4a8e-88ed-df83a5e96402_zps20dfa3f7.jpg.html) I did that once, too, and was made fun of because of my big fork, but I love it! Looks great on you.

See mine?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/phabunwith4prongjeterfork001.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/phabunwith4prongjeterfork001.jpg.html)

Another way to make my bun huge was this enormous sock bun form...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/001-18.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/001-18.jpg.html)

Doing this twin braided bun also enlarged the look of my bun...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/twindutchlacebraidedbun001.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/twindutchlacebraidedbun001.jpg.html)

This is a second attempt at a ladder braided bun, and I'm hoping to improve upon it, but it was big, very big.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/002-13.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/002-13.jpg.html)

A vortex bun also looks bigger, depending on the length of hair...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/008-2.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/008-2.jpg.html)

And a Jamie Leigh also looks a bit bigger...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/005-1.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/005-1.jpg.html)

I've never done Madora's style, but that could be accomplished at a shorter length than a JamieLeigh. I will have to try it.

lunasea
August 7th, 2014, 11:09 AM
VORTEX BUN!!!! Pray how do you accomplish this miracle???

ETA: just found a video....my hair would be the size of a cherry pit after all that twisting but might have to try it anyway.

Syren_Curls
August 7th, 2014, 12:52 PM
LLL, I'd love to hear about how to do the Jamie Leigh :-)

RapunzelKat, thank you for acknowledging my new (and first ever) Jeter fork :-) Isn't it a wonderful comb? I'm happy someone else can share the excitement!

Syren_Curls
August 7th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Duplicate post :-/

Neecola
August 7th, 2014, 01:15 PM
In about six weeks I will be treating myself to a jeter fork... I'm not really sure which one to get for my compacting hair. I have a two prong Blondiesturn fork that is about 3 1/2" functional length and I still have room to grow. Any suggestions?

RapunzelKat
August 7th, 2014, 02:37 PM
VORTEX BUN!!!! Pray how do you accomplish this miracle???

ETA: just found a video....my hair would be the size of a cherry pit after all that twisting but might have to try it anyway.

Actually, the vortex bun really spreads your hair out across your head, so it makes it look surprisingly large :D (Much like a double braided bun.) TorrinPaige has a tutorial if you haven't seen hers yet :)

LLL, I'd love to hear about how to do the Jamie Leigh :-)

RapunzelKat, thank you for acknowledging my new (and first ever) Jeter fork :-) Isn't it a wonderful comb? I'm happy someone else can share the excitement!

Sorry, don't know how to link from my phone, but if you Google TorrinPaige Jamie Leigh she's got a great YouTube video. (Can you tell I'm a fan of her channel? :lol:)
And yes, the jeterforks are awesome! I want to expand my collection, but I just bought some new sticks so I'll have to wait a little while.

In about six weeks I will be treating myself to a jeter fork... I'm not really sure which one to get for my compacting hair. I have a two prong Blondiesturn fork that is about 3 1/2" functional length and I still have room to grow. Any suggestions?

I'm not too great at sizing, but there's a Jeterforks thread on the Conventional Products part of the forum that might help :) Or you can check with Kherome, she's kind of a Jeterforks expert :D

LLL, lovely buns! That ladder braid is really impressive!

lunasea
August 7th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Yeah, find Kherome, she's a Jeterfork Goddess!

Kherome
August 7th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Wow I really have a reputation! Haha

Neecola you can order a 3.5 from him too, and I always recommend 3 prongs at a minimum (I'm not fond of 2 prongs, they don't do much to enlarge the bun plus they are just not that stable) but 4 is my favorite!

Syren_Curls
August 7th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Neecola, that's something to look forward to for sure! I'll be excited to see what you decide on :-) 6 weeks is a good amount of time to do the 'research' for just the right first one :-) I just got my first two and kept them at 3.5" and 4" for similar reasons. I got a two prong and a four prong just to see what would work. At first I thought the four was a bit much but this thread helped me notice that it really helps to expand my bun. The two prong holds securely enough for me, but doesn't have that expansion effect.

RapunzelKat, thanks for directing me to that video... I love Torrin's page too and now remember having seen the Jamie Leigh tutorial she did. I'll definitely check it out again and see how it goes for me :-) I think I dismissed it because I had more layers and tapering then. As for expanding your Jeter collection... I think waiting on those nice Ead sticks is a great reason to hold off for now... and they are so awesome that I wouldn't be surprised if they kept you fulfilled enough in the meantime :D

Kherome, do you have any suggestions on picking out a type of wood? That is alllll new terrain for me and, other than 'it looks so preeeetttty', I don't have any guidelines to go on. Any tips?

noot
August 7th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Neko, Thank you for sharing your updo. I've been looking for a way to soften the front of my hair with updo's and this was a perfect example.

Neoma
August 7th, 2014, 07:01 PM
I love the positive, upbeat tone of this thread!

slynr
August 7th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Puny bun powers..activate!!! (Not a quality post:))

swords & roses
August 7th, 2014, 07:28 PM
^ As OP, I saw that is indeed a quality post! ;)

LauraLongLocks
August 7th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Well, I would answer the questions given to me, but it looks like they've been answered already. :)

slynr
August 7th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Well cheers OP:) I like the way you think...and I love this thread. A place I truly belong.

QMacrocarpa
August 7th, 2014, 08:32 PM
My bun got kind of puny when I had a big shed a couple of years ago and lost about 1/4 of my nape thickness. All my flexi-8 styles went down a size. At that time I had an XL flexi that I was dreamily imagining I might grow into one day, but after the shed that seemed impossible, so I gave it away. Now I'm hoping someday I might grow back into the L flexi that I used to wear pretty often. I don't generally mind smaller buns, but my braid is a bit discouraging: it's more like the size of other people's accent braids! Ah well, it may be thin, but I'm keeping it!:D

lunasea
August 8th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Itty bitty fork and stick on the Pay it Forward swap right now CHECK IT OUT!

Neecola
August 8th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Thanks everyone for pointing me in the direction of the Jeter expert! :)

Wow I really have a reputation! Haha

Neecola you can order a 3.5 from him too, and I always recommend 3 prongs at a minimum (I'm not fond of 2 prongs, they don't do much to enlarge the bun plus they are just not that stable) but 4 is my favorite!

Excellent; thanks Kherome! I think 3.5" will be best. Even thought I am a little concerned that a 4 prong will be too big for me, I might take the chance anyway. They look so beautiful in other people's hair.

Neecola, that's something to look forward to for sure! I'll be excited to see what you decide on :-) 6 weeks is a good amount of time to do the 'research' for just the right first one :-) I just got my first two and kept them at 3.5" and 4" for similar reasons. I got a two prong and a four prong just to see what would work. At first I thought the four was a bit much but this thread helped me notice that it really helps to expand my bun. The two prong holds securely enough for me, but doesn't have that expansion effect.

Syren, thanks for sharing your experience! I am rewarding myself as I get out of debt (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125206)and I love that you point out the delay is a good time to "study" for my first Jeter. :)

swords & roses
August 8th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Itty bitty fork and stick on the Pay it Forward swap right now CHECK IT OUT!

Aww, i missed it! Lol!

islandboo
August 8th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Aww, i missed it! Lol!

Me too, by minutes :(

RapunzelKat
August 9th, 2014, 08:59 AM
D'oh! :doh: I didn't think to take a pic before I took my hair down to braid for bed! I'll make sure and get one tomorrow and post it.

So I guess I should say I got it - pending submission of photographic evidence :bounce:

Ok, better late than never, right? :oops:
Here's a picture of my attempt at the Neoma knot - this is what it looks like with both the loops doubled. I haven't quite got the tension perfect for my hair yet, but I'm working on it! :D (Please pardon my soon-to-be-replaced plastic hairstick and poor photography skills.)
I do have a question - is the second loop supposed to be twisted as you pull it through, or just pulled straight through and placed against the scalp? I seem to be doing it about half one way and half the other, so I'm getting inconsistent results... :?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12437&d=1407559923

islandboo
August 9th, 2014, 10:37 AM
I don't twist it and I don't think it is supposed to be (paging Neoma to the thread!) but I am a firm believer in "whatever works best for you" :)

Stellaaa
August 9th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Ok, better late than never, right? :oops:
Here's a picture of my attempt at the Neoma knot - this is what it looks like with both the loops doubled. I haven't quite got the tension perfect for my hair yet, but I'm working on it! :D (Please pardon my soon-to-be-replaced plastic hairstick and poor photography skills.)
I do have a question - is the second loop supposed to be twisted as you pull it through, or just pulled straight through and placed against the scalp? I seem to be doing it about half one way and half the other, so I'm getting inconsistent results... :?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12437&d=1407559923

Wow! Just Wow!
What a gorgeous bun, it looks like a spun gold treble clef.

RapunzelKat
August 9th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Wow! Just Wow!
What a gorgeous bun, it looks like a spun gold treble clef.

Aww, thank you Stellaaa! :flower: My buns almost always turn out looking a bit different than the originals, because I almost always have to modify them due to my combination of length and thinness, but I must say I do rather like the look of this one :)

Neoma
August 9th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Very pretty, RapunzelKat! Don't twist the second loop as you pull it through.

Two suggestions:

Instead of doubling each loop, try wrapping your very great lengths around the base. I find that making the initial couple of winds around the base pretty tight; that makes the bun really secure and keeps it from unraveling. Then you could wrap the remaining length --because you have many feet of hair! -- more loosely. It would look pretty cool if the winds were larger than the figure-8 of the two loops. :flower:

Alaska98
August 9th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Fellow small bunned folks, I have a question about braiding. I like my braids to be noticeable, but even when I do a Dutch braid, the braid doesn't pop out. Most of the time you couldn't even guess my hair was braided. Is this a matter of poor technique or hair type?

StellaKatherine
August 9th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Alaska98, Just pull the strands of the braid a little, you will make your braids thicker looking that way! That is what I do with my dutch braids! Here is an example -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_gQsa5Nd-c

Alaska98
August 9th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Yes! That's the exact braid I've been trying to do, but even before she puffed it up, you could tell the hair was braided and not just laying flat an ugly with no definition. I tried that 4 different times today. I wish I had thought to take pics. I'm hesitant to try again. A lot of hair came out. :/

slynr
August 9th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Wondering if anyone has tried the link bun. I just did and it made a deceptive looking big bun (for me anyway:) I recommend it.

Nellon
August 10th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Yes! That's the exact braid I've been trying to do, but even before she puffed it up, you could tell the hair was braided and not just laying flat an ugly with no definition. I tried that 4 different times today. I wish I had thought to take pics. I'm hesitant to try again. A lot of hair came out. :/

Maybe you could braid a pretty scarf or paranda into your braid? :) That will give you some more definition of a braid (hopefully) aaand add some colour to your braid! Win win! :D

rags
August 10th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Slynr,I can't find anything for the link bun? Though I could swear I did it at one point. New computer and any favorite links I managed to salvage are so mixed up I can't find anything!

slynr
August 10th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Rags- I just recently commented on it so if you go to my posts and comments you could find it. I'm not sure I can link the thread with my phone. I've been wearing that bun all day and I'm surprised because some of my sticks that are usually too long get the length eaten up by this bun. Its really great. If you can'tfind it iI'll go to my computer and see if I can be of more help:) it takes evyer bit of length I have but should be no problem at all for you:)

rags
August 10th, 2014, 06:26 PM
I found it Slynr! Yes, I did wear that one some too - I'd just forgotten the name! I like it as well or better than the LWB, which is my staple. Thanks for reminding me of it!

slynr
August 10th, 2014, 06:40 PM
I do that too Rags. I have a go to bun I use all the time but I'll learn new ones and then forget them and fall back on the old standard. LWBs haven't been working too well for me lately. Must be an odd length or something.

BTW: tried to insert link and failed miserably. Not sure what I'm doing wrong:(

rags
August 10th, 2014, 07:18 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123612

Here you go, I hope. (I'm lucky if I can post at all on my phone, much less link! Mostly because I can't see it very well! Ah the joys of getting old. :p. )

slynr
August 10th, 2014, 07:20 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123612

Here you go, I hope. (I'm lucky if I can post at all on my phone, much less link! Mostly because I can't see it very well! Ah the joys of getting old. :p. )

You saved me rags:) thank you so much!

neko_kawaii
August 10th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Finally caught up on my school work and getting caught up on a few threads! I hadn't done the Neoma Knot before, so had to try, of course. And there was still enough light to video too. I think I'm doing it right. It holds well regardless!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS1ou5r5FGs&feature=youtu.be

Almost identical to the Celtic Knot Bun with the exception that the third loop (created by the first wrap around base) in the Celtic is loosened up a little so the three are even. Plenty of videos of that one out there.

Othala
August 11th, 2014, 03:55 AM
Pony-bunner here! So nice to see a club for "my people".

Neoma
August 11th, 2014, 06:48 AM
Finally caught up on my school work and getting caught up on a few threads! I hadn't done the Neoma Knot before, so had to try, of course. And there was still enough light to video too. I think I'm doing it right. It holds well regardless!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS1ou5r5FGs&feature=youtu.be

Almost identical to the Celtic Knot Bun with the exception that the third loop (created by the first wrap around base) in the Celtic is loosened up a little so the three are even. Plenty of videos of that one out there.

Almost... I start the bun by looping the pony over the left side of the base. It only makes a 360 once (goes back to where it started from) before it comes through the first loop. Also, you're flipping the top loop down and over. The top and bottom loops shouldn't change positions. :flower:

neko_kawaii
August 11th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Ah! I'll trust that later when I get a chance, thanks!

RapunzelKat
August 11th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Very pretty, RapunzelKat! Don't twist the second loop as you pull it through.

Two suggestions:

Instead of doubling each loop, try wrapping your very great lengths around the base. I find that making the initial couple of winds around the base pretty tight; that makes the bun really secure and keeps it from unraveling. Then you could wrap the remaining length --because you have many feet of hair! -- more loosely. It would look pretty cool if the winds were larger than the figure-8 of the two loops. :flower:

I've tried a few more times, and have now determined that I was indeed twisting the second loop :bluebiggr
:hmm: I have a little trouble with wrapped buns like this and wrapping all the hair around the base... My hair has a habit of sliding under itself and creating a wad-hair-with-a-teeny-bun-on-top look that makes the bun even punier than usual :rolling: However, I bet I could get it to work with my Jeterfork! I'll try to get some more pictures, it seems there's a few variations of this one that work for my hair. :disco:

Neoma
August 11th, 2014, 09:05 AM
I've tried a few more times, and have now determined that I was indeed twisting the second loop :bluebiggr
:hmm: I have a little trouble with wrapped buns like this and wrapping all the hair around the base... My hair has a habit of sliding under itself and creating a wad-hair-with-a-teeny-bun-on-top look that makes the bun even punier than usual :rolling: However, I bet I could get it to work with my Jeterfork! I'll try to get some more pictures, it seems there's a few variations of this one that work for my hair. :disco:

Ah! I'll trust that later when I get a chance, thanks!

Whatever works for you! :flower:

I do a basic wrapped bun that I can't figure out for the life of me if it's a Pencil bun or a Nautilus bun. I've given up trying to figure it out. I just make the bun my way -- it works for me! :flowers:

Syren_Curls
August 16th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Hmmmm, I'm not sure what it is I'm doing wrong but I can't seem to get it. I'm wondering if layers make it more difficult, as I'm growing out some layers, face frame, and bangs. They're at apl now but the rest of the length is just shy of tailbone.

ravenheather
August 16th, 2014, 12:36 PM
I have been having good luck with a lazy wrapped infinity bun. Secure and not as teeny as a nautilus bun is on me.

neko_kawaii
August 18th, 2014, 08:25 AM
OK! Weather, lighting, memory, and energy finally aligned and I shot a new video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9W-qAKY_1I#t=12

Hope that helps the video learners.

Neoma
August 18th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Hooray! Thank you, neko_kawaii. :flower:

I make mine vertical rather than horizontal. I position the loop that's in your left hand at the top and the other at the bottom, so it looks more like a figure-8 than an infinity bun. Either way, it's secure and pretty!

Neecola
August 19th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the new video, Neko!

Syren_Curls
August 19th, 2014, 08:51 PM
That's a big help, neko_kawaii. Thank you for the video tutorial... :-)

swords & roses
August 20th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Great video, Neko! Thanks for that! Hmm... I think I might try doing the Neoma knot left-handed/backwards. The loop over my left hand always gets caught on my wedding ring.

I remembered just now that I have a picture of the biggest type of bun I've ever managed!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7627&d=1384742323

A scarf-braided vortex bun. Still not head-eating, but at least it's visible from a stage. ;)

Syren_Curls
August 21st, 2014, 07:49 PM
Very nice, swords & roses! I have been hesitant to try vortex buns because I thought the sections would come out too thin between my fine hair and the layers/bangs I am trying to grow out, but you've given me the inspiration to try them out... :-)

I think I need to practice trying the Neoma Knot still... I'm newer to LHC buns and my fingers aren't as dexterous with it just yet. They keep getting in each other's way :-( But I look forward to the practice and eventually getting it!

Yuuki
August 22nd, 2014, 12:01 PM
I feel like I've found my people, haha. My hair is so thin. The only thing that helps is using a hair doughnut when I wear a bun, which gives the illusion of volume.

RapunzelKat
August 22nd, 2014, 02:31 PM
Great video, Neko! Thanks for that! Hmm... I think I might try doing the Neoma knot left-handed/backwards. The loop over my left hand always gets caught on my wedding ring.

I remembered just now that I have a picture of the biggest type of bun I've ever managed!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7627&d=1384742323

A scarf-braided vortex bun. Still not head-eating, but at least it's visible from a stage. ;)

I find that it's necessary to take my rings off anytime I handle my hair - guaranteed breakage if I don't. shudder:

I love your giant vortex bun! :D

I feel like I've found my people, haha. My hair is so thin. The only thing that helps is using a hair doughnut when I wear a bun, which gives the illusion of volume.

Welcome to the club, Yuuki! :waving: :D

swords & roses
August 22nd, 2014, 02:49 PM
Can't get the wedding ring off. I had it sized reeeeally tight, so I'd never lose it! ;)

RapunzelKat
August 22nd, 2014, 04:46 PM
Can't get the wedding ring off. I had it sized reeeeally tight, so I'd never lose it! ;)

Smart! :bluebiggr I do fret about losing my rings sometimes, but so far so good. :)

islandboo
September 1st, 2014, 08:07 AM
If anyone is interested, neko_kawaii has a beautiful 3.5" FPL fork up for grabs on the Pay It Forward swap thread.

Neecola
September 2nd, 2014, 11:29 AM
Well, I will be hitting a mini goal this week in my quest to get out of debt, so I am treating myself to a Jeter fork. I am so excited!!

I would also like to get some hairsticks -- any suggestions? I really like the looks of Eaduard's hair sticks (and they come in 5"!) ... any member of the Puny Bun Club have luck with these?

RapunzelKat
September 2nd, 2014, 11:40 AM
Well, I will be hitting a mini goal this week in my quest to get out of debt, so I am treating myself to a Jeter fork. I am so excited!!

I would also like to get some hairsticks -- any suggestions? I really like the looks of Eaduard's hair sticks (and they come in 5"!) ... any member of the Puny Bun Club have luck with these?

I have a few Ead sticks (got them to replace my lousy plastic sticks :p) and I love 'em! :D I have one 5" pair, one 5.5" pair, and one 5.5" wavy stick. I particularly love the wavy, it's really pretty and secure.

The 5" pair only fits my LWB and only just barely, but since I bought it specifically for that bun it works out perfect :)

And I know you'll love the Jeterfork, they're great!

gthlvrmx
September 2nd, 2014, 12:10 PM
My buns are so small! When my hair was longer I remember my bun was so small it made me feel like crying sometimes because I would get upset at how small it was. I'm growing my hair out again so hopefully it will be thicker this time and my bun won't be so puny anymore.

Willowyn
September 2nd, 2014, 06:01 PM
What a great thread! When I saw a reference on the Swap Board to the "Puny Bun Club", I thought it was a cute name. I didn't realize this conversation was truly happening! Anyway, I definitely belong here. My hair varies from APL to almost BSL, and I keep it trimmed to that range for my convenience. I'm beginning to notice that it's getting a bit thinner (I'm 57), but that's OK. My hair is healthy, and I like the (not exactly natural) color, and this length and thickness gives me lots of flexibility for Ficcares, hairsticks, and forks, as well as the occasional (gasp) pretty barrette for a half-up when I want to wear my hair down.

Those of you who heard me cheering this spring the first time I managed to get a hairstick to really work have probably already seen the link I've posted a few (ok, several) times for a modified nautilus bun that I think works great. I always recommend it to those who can't get more than one full wrap for a bun. Here it is again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohzSsbQhJK8 I do mine a bit differently. I stick my thumb through the loop and slide the stick in on one side of my thumb instead of laying the loop down and using two fingers to hold the place. (I realize that doesn't make ANY sense unless you're looking at the video and/or trying it yourself, but hey, I get points for trying, right??)
Here's a pic with my hair done with that modified bun, and a pic with my typical hair length (with oversized shirt - I'm 5'9" tall).
http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w633/Willowyn57/2014-04-25142421_zps9553eeb6.jpg (http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/Willowyn57/media/2014-04-25142421_zps9553eeb6.jpg.html)
http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w633/Willowyn57/2014-06-03122245_zps5be5541c.jpg (http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/Willowyn57/media/2014-06-03122245_zps5be5541c.jpg.html)
Cheers!
:toast:

swords & roses
September 2nd, 2014, 07:10 PM
Your hair is beautiful!!! I wish my hair turns a lovely pale shade like that! (I'm probably the only 20-something that was excited to find her first white hair, and excited because it was WHITE!!! :happydance: )

Also, I'm swooning so incredibly hard over that TT stick! Some day I shall have enough nickels & dimes saved up to get one of those stunners for my own head!

gthlvrmx
September 2nd, 2014, 07:17 PM
What a great thread! When I saw a reference on the Swap Board to the "Puny Bun Club", I thought it was a cute name. I didn't realize this conversation was truly happening! Anyway, I definitely belong here. My hair varies from APL to almost BSL, and I keep it trimmed to that range for my convenience. I'm beginning to notice that it's getting a bit thinner (I'm 57), but that's OK. My hair is healthy, and I like the (not exactly natural) color, and this length and thickness gives me lots of flexibility for Ficcares, hairsticks, and forks, as well as the occasional (gasp) pretty barrette for a half-up when I want to wear my hair down.

Those of you who heard me cheering this spring the first time I managed to get a hairstick to really work have probably already seen the link I've posted a few (ok, several) times for a modified nautilus bun that I think works great. I always recommend it to those who can't get more than one full wrap for a bun. Here it is again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohzSsbQhJK8 I do mine a bit differently. I stick my thumb through the loop and slide the stick in on one side of my thumb instead of laying the loop down and using two fingers to hold the place. (I realize that doesn't make ANY sense unless you're looking at the video and/or trying it yourself, but hey, I get points for trying, right??)
Here's a pic with my hair done with that modified bun, and a pic with my typical hair length (with oversized shirt - I'm 5'9" tall).
http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w633/Willowyn57/2014-04-25142421_zps9553eeb6.jpg (http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/Willowyn57/media/2014-04-25142421_zps9553eeb6.jpg.html)
http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w633/Willowyn57/2014-06-03122245_zps5be5541c.jpg (http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/Willowyn57/media/2014-06-03122245_zps5be5541c.jpg.html)
Cheers!
What beautiful hair you have! Looks nice! :)

kdaniels8811
September 2nd, 2014, 07:53 PM
That is not a puny bun, your bun looks full and thick. I am just envious, your hair is beautiful!

Nadine <3
September 2nd, 2014, 08:01 PM
Can I join this thread? I have a bun about the size of a ping pong ball.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5579/15123743705_d660cf05c2.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/p3r96P)bun 011 (https://flic.kr/p/p3r96P) by nadineschommer (https://www.flickr.com/people/127268164@N08/), on Flickr

Took this today after wearing this bun all day. I usually wear braids as I'm not very good at buns, but I found out my heavier hair stick finally stays where I put it!

Willowyn
September 2nd, 2014, 09:22 PM
That is not a puny bun, your bun looks full and thick. I am just envious, your hair is beautiful!
Thanks for the compliment. But please remember that part of why the bun looks thick is because of the illusion when you take your own pics close to your head.
And please don't be envious - your hair is beautiful, and it looks like it has a texture that will actually do what you want it to do instead of trying to escape from every updo.
:cheer:

gthlvrmx
September 2nd, 2014, 10:08 PM
Can I join this thread? I have a bun about the size of a ping pong ball.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5579/15123743705_d660cf05c2.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/p3r96P)bun 011 (https://flic.kr/p/p3r96P) by nadineschommer (https://www.flickr.com/people/127268164@N08/), on Flickr

Took this today after wearing this bun all day. I usually wear braids as I'm not very good at buns, but I found out my heavier hair stick finally stays where I put it!

That is such a cute bun! :)

Nadine <3
September 2nd, 2014, 10:42 PM
That is such a cute bun! :)

Aww, thank you! :)

Neecola
September 3rd, 2014, 11:21 AM
I have a few Ead sticks (got them to replace my lousy plastic sticks :p) and I love 'em! :D I have one 5" pair, one 5.5" pair, and one 5.5" wavy stick. I particularly love the wavy, it's really pretty and secure.

The 5" pair only fits my LWB and only just barely, but since I bought it specifically for that bun it works out perfect :)

And I know you'll love the Jeterfork, they're great!

Thanks Kat; that was all the push I needed :lol: ... I'm ordering the Ead sticks today. And I am SO excited about the Jeterfork.

Willowyn - wow, gorgeous hair!

Nadine - Love the placement of your bun... I keep trying to get mine up higher but they always end up pouchy/slumpy in the back (I can't believe auto-correct doesn't recognize those two adjectives! They're totally words, right?)

Nadine <3
September 3rd, 2014, 11:50 AM
Nadine - Love the placement of your bun... I keep trying to get mine up higher but they always end up pouchy/slumpy in the back (I can't believe auto-correct doesn't recognize those two adjectives! They're totally words, right?)

Mine sometimes gets a pouch thing in the back too, but I guess I don't mind it/care. I think it adds a nice relaxed look. :) I think pouchy and slumpy are words, at least to me they are!

swords & roses
September 3rd, 2014, 12:43 PM
I keep trying to get mine up higher but they always end up pouchy/slumpy in the back (I can't believe auto-correct doesn't recognize those two adjectives! They're totally words, right?)

Yep, totally words! So is splendiferous.

I get the same thing happening with my hair any time I put it up. It's slightly better when I just do a ponytail, but it's definitely pooching with buns. It's been that way as long as I can remember, though. I guess it's just how my cowlicks/growth patterns are laid out. Nothing I've found that fixes it completely. And it's worse the higher I try to put my bun.

Tenaya
September 3rd, 2014, 04:26 PM
Whoa! That is so cool going to try it right this second!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mlyaRdVq40&feature=youtu.be[/QUOTE]

Neecola
September 4th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Thanks for corroborating my non made-up words, ladies :lol: Glad that I'm not the only one with the pouchy issue... I was begining to think I had a misshapen head.

Tenaya, thanks for sharing the video. Love the teeny claw clip idea!

pastina
September 4th, 2014, 11:25 AM
please forgive me, i'm new here! but, what's considered a "puny" bun on this board? i'm realizing that qualifiers like that are different here than they are in the population at large! like, i'm fairly sure my hair would be considered long and thick to the average person, but compared to some of the ladies on here, it's definitely child's play!

Tenaya
September 4th, 2014, 11:41 PM
Neecola, that was quoted from Neko Kawaii's post at the beginning of the thread. I dont know why it didnt quote the usual way. So, thank you Neko!

Pastina, I don't think there are qualifying measurements to be allowed in the Puny Bun Club. I'm thinking it's for those of us who looked at action shots of the amazing ginormous buns of some of our members like PrincessBob and Meteor and suddenly felt sorta insecure about our little buns - whether they be truly marble-sized or just "well, I used to think I had big buns..." ;). Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

swords & roses
September 5th, 2014, 07:38 AM
My thoughts exactly! Puny Bun status isn't a measurement; it's a state of mind! ;) If you've routinely found yourself wistfully sighing that you wish your bun was bigger, or looking through the swap boards wishing you could find a smaller toy, you're a part of the Puny Bun Club!

pastina
September 5th, 2014, 11:44 AM
"it's a state of mind." i love it!

RapunzelKat
September 5th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Thanks Kat; that was all the push I needed :lol: ... I'm ordering the Ead sticks today. And I am SO excited about the Jeterfork.

Willowyn - wow, gorgeous hair!

Happy to have enabled! :eyebrows:

And I agree with the rest of the group - totally real words!

Neecola
September 5th, 2014, 07:08 PM
haha, Tenaya, when I watched it I thought "I feel like I've seen this before" but I didn't know where. :coffee: I actually started it today but after I twisted the sides back, I liked the way it looked so I left it as a half-up.

RapunzelKat: :grnbiggri
After reading what you said about the wavy Eaduard sticks I looked at them again and realized he can do them in different sizes and quite a few different colors. I've spent my allowance but next time...

Agnes Hannah
September 19th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Here is my puny bun!
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/agneshannahtaylor/dd847449-ee97-4d16-aa28-9226a9423eb4_zps68f5de9d.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/agneshannahtaylor/media/dd847449-ee97-4d16-aa28-9226a9423eb4_zps68f5de9d.jpg.html)

Quasiquixotic
September 19th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Hey my friends this is in the Lady Idun shop: micro stick

https://www.etsy.com/listing/204005903/hair-stick-crystal-icicle-acrylic-new?ref=shop_home_active_1

swords & roses
January 6th, 2015, 09:07 PM
There's some great micro forks for sale over on the swap board! Somebody go get em! :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128356

luvlonghair75
January 7th, 2015, 05:50 AM
Here's a pic of my puny bun!

http://s15.photobucket.com/user/LenaB_/media/Hair/DSCF8783_zps9705d92c.jpg.html

squirrrel
January 7th, 2015, 11:31 AM

Cheers!

Loving your hair Willowyn. It's just gorgeous - colour and length. Bun looks good too. :)

Think I probably belong here. I remember back in November, seeing one of my colleagues who had her hair up in a bun (she probably had hair to about MBL - maybe reaching waist when I saw it, then she got it cut...). I was stunned at how big her bun was, and ended up asking her if she'd used sock or donut to put it up... Apparently not!

I may only be at about BSL, but there's no way I'm going to get that kind of bigness without something to make it so...

M.McDonough
January 7th, 2015, 02:23 PM
sure i would love that

Seventy7
January 14th, 2015, 02:57 PM
I found out today I can make a LWB, and I'm not even APL yet. As soon as I saw it, I thought of this thread. It's petite, but I like it.

Excuses for the bad lighting, I'm not home during daylight hours this time of year and I just wanted to share.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15243&d=1421272101

The shortened chopstick seems enormous, but it's been cut in half already. I might have to make it even shorter.

RapunzelKat
January 14th, 2015, 04:32 PM
I found out today I can make a LWB, and I'm not even APL yet. As soon as I saw it, I thought of this thread. It's petite, but I like it.

Excuses for the bad lighting, I'm not home during daylight hours this time of year and I just wanted to share.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15243&d=1421272101

The shortened chopstick seems enormous, but it's been cut in half already. I might have to make it even shorter.

Aww, it looks so cute! :D
(P.S. Eaduard on Etsy makes 5" acrylic sticks that are great for petite buns. :bluebiggr)

cathair
January 14th, 2015, 07:11 PM
You know you are in the puny bun club, when an Argos or Ikea pencil is perfectly long enough to make a bun with. Pretty comfortable to sleep in too!

Daylilly
January 21st, 2015, 07:06 AM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e206/daylilly2/Snapshot_20141127_3_zps656e7020.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/daylilly2/media/Snapshot_20141127_3_zps656e7020.jpg.html) I think I qualify for this club! I will never have the big head eating bun, but I'm glad to be in the company of so many cute little buns.

chen bao jun
January 21st, 2015, 07:08 AM
I'm startled at what some of you consider to be puny buns.

Mearwynna
January 21st, 2015, 08:57 AM
My bun is about the size of a plum so I belong here for sure. Something I just found out is that some of the hairtoys I just bought are to heavy for my hair. (note to self-look for small hair toys) Very disapointing. So I need a list of things that might work for small hair buns. Some one already mentioned 4 prong jeterforks. I'm going to put that on my list. I have a medium flexi-8, that works fairly well. I have a couple of hairsticks but I need to keep practicing with them. I've noticed that if I wash with a regular shampoo with cones my hair tends to "disapear" it feels like it is so thin and fine but if I use rice flour, or something else it is much thicker feeling, and my buns are a little thicker. Also if I french braid my hair it gives the illusion of thicker hair (once I take it out) and I can do a gibson tuck kind of style and it looks thicker because of the waves. I've been experimenting with using a bit of baby powder to give it some grip for some buns because my hair is also very slippery. It seems to help a little.

rags
January 21st, 2015, 09:07 AM
Day lily, your braided bun is cute! My braids are so puny it just looks messy for me to do a braided bun.

I am selling my 4 prong Jeters because, although light, they are too wide for my buns. Three prongs work better for me, but YMMV. I actually prefer 60th Street and Baerreis myself, I think they look more in proportion. Jeters, however, allow me to make looser buns, so. So I have some of them too. :p. (I am a hairtoy addict, after all!).

If I use cones much my hair isn't staying up with anything short of a four prong fork or a Ficcare. I slightly mist my hair with water to dampen it, that seems to help with tricky updos (more braids for me that like to slither right out). And yeah, I wash my hair at night, so I love sleeping in damp braids and having VOLUME the next couple if days! LOL.

Achlys
January 21st, 2015, 11:43 AM

I think it's sometimes about size in relation to actual hair length. For example, I'm happy that my bun looks decently sized enough to me now, but no-one would guess my hair was anywhere near the length it really is (which is almost BCL atm).

RapunzelKat
January 21st, 2015, 12:05 PM

I think it's sometimes about size in relation to actual hair length. For example, I'm happy that my bun looks decently sized enough to me now, but no-one would guess my hair was anywhere near the length it really is (which is almost BCL atm).

This is why I consider mine puny as well. :) I have FTL hair, but my bun size is similar to yours in your avatar, chen. (Well, I think so - it's a bit hard to say for sure without side by side pics. :))

People are completely blown away when they realize how long my hair really is. :lol: One time recently I was adjusting a bun at work, and I startled a coworker so much she actually jumped. :bluebiggr

Savvyhorsez
January 21st, 2015, 06:20 PM
Count me in to this club too! At lower calf length hair and my tight lazy wrap bun still looks like this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9630&d=1394243638

RapunzelKat
January 21st, 2015, 07:23 PM
Count me in to this club too! At lower calf length hair and my tight lazy wrap bun still looks like this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9630&d=1394243638

So shiny! :thud:

chen bao jun
January 21st, 2015, 09:17 PM
Well, Ackles and rapunzel cat, I think your buns are beautiful. It's also about what bun you do. My cinnablobs look very large for the length of hair I have, but it's really all pouf and thick curls held together loosely. My real buns are not at all impressive. I've just only been able to do a nautilus and it's definitely smaller than your nautiluses or nautilIi or whatever the plural is.

People are so used to seeing illusion used with buns, they really can't tell hair length, but small, tidy buns can look nice.

RapunzelKat
January 21st, 2015, 09:23 PM
Well, Ackles and rapunzel cat, I think your buns are beautiful. It's also about what bun you do. My cinnablobs look very large for the length of hair I have, but it's really all pouf and thick curls held together loosely. My real buns are not at all impressive. I've just only been able to do a nautilus and it's definitely smaller than your nautiluses or nautilIi or whatever the plural is.

People are so used to seeing illusion used with buns, they really can't tell hair length, but small, tidy buns can look nice.

Thank you! :) I've actually grown quite fond of my neat, compact bun. And you're very right about the type of bun! If I want to make my hair look longer bunned, a double braided bun or vortex bun can be spread out to almost completely cover the back of my head. Takes a LOT of pins though!

Savvyhorsez
January 22nd, 2015, 05:03 AM
Thank you RapunzelKat! It usually doesn't look shiny at all, lol.

cathair
January 22nd, 2015, 05:26 AM
You have a very stealthy bun Savvyhorsez. That must be all kinds of fun to do bun drops in front of people who don't know how long you hair is :D

Eraisuithiel
January 22nd, 2015, 08:26 AM
At least small buns should be easier to keep up, theoretically. (Unless your hair is still short and has layers...like mine :-(

swords & roses
January 22nd, 2015, 09:32 AM
At least small buns should be easier to keep up, theoretically. (Unless your hair is still short and has layers...like mine :-(

Or is as non-stick as teflon, like mine. ;)

RapunzelKat
January 22nd, 2015, 02:43 PM
Or is as non-stick as teflon, like mine. ;)

Hee hee, I'm in the Teflon-hair crowd as well. :bluebiggr
A bun that stays all day without adjustment? I wonder what that's like?

rags
January 22nd, 2015, 04:12 PM
Hee hee, I'm in the Teflon-hair crowd as well. :bluebiggr
A bun that stays all day without adjustment? I wonder what that's like?

Ficcares. This is why I have quite a collection of Ficcares. LOL.

RapunzelKat
January 22nd, 2015, 05:20 PM
Ficcares. This is why I have quite a collection of Ficcares. LOL.

Hee hee! You're right, I need to get me some more Ficcares. My one you gave me does do an awesome job, though my hair still makes a spirited attempt to spit it out if it's freshly washed and conditioned. :lol:

Savvyhorsez
January 23rd, 2015, 06:49 AM
You have a very stealthy bun Savvyhorsez. That must be all kinds of fun to do bun drops in front of people who don't know how long you hair is :D

Thank you Cathair, I get a lot of people who think I'm lying until I take it down, they change their attitude when they see it for themselves, lol.

MsVenus
February 21st, 2015, 06:56 PM
I am not alone after all :D

afinemess
February 22nd, 2015, 09:24 AM
Oh man, I totally belong in this club. I was super upset just last night about my pathetic little bun. I'm trying to be optimistic though! I shall love my baby bun! :D

copperlites
February 28th, 2015, 03:17 AM
I'm a new member, new to buns and they are definitely looking on the puny side of things, and not well crafted either. I'm on the hunt for the right hair toys, and watching you tube in the hope of learning to craft a better bun as I attempt to get from bra strap to waist and thicken up my hair.

Nettyx
April 6th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Hello.... can I join your club? :waving:

I am a proud owner of a puny bun and have loved reading through this thread. As my hair gets longer I expected my bun to widen (:oops:) but it just gets more compact. However this means I will never grow out of my favourite hair toys. Hurrah!

LaBeq
April 7th, 2015, 09:04 AM
Here's my puny bun! I tried doing an LWB. It doesn't seem to look quite right to me, but I do like it, and it works great with the little stick, so that's good!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16700&d=1428418447

Mimha
April 7th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Hello there ! :)

I came by curiosity because I did not know what a "puny bun" was, lol. (I'm improving my English vocabulary with LHC^^). And I thought I could share with you my grand-ma "giant puny bun" secret.

My grand-mother, who was a mountain farmer, was living at a time where all ladies had their hair bunned. Usually, up-done in double-braid bun. Ladies of that time almost never cut their hair. My grand-ma had always had terminal length hair, and from what she told me, her hair must have been a little past classic length, and low side of ii. When I knew her (between 50 to 80 year old), her hair had consistently thinned, to something around BCL i. As she missed her old thick bun and was rather proud, she didn't want the other ladies to know how much her hair had thinned. So she collected her shed hair to make little "hair pads" that she closed into a very fine hair net and used them to fill her bun. So if anyone had asked her "is it all your hair ?" she could have answered honestly that it was^^. Extensions did not exist by that time, and it was the best way to ensure a perfect color matching filling.

To make her "big puny bun", she would make a low pony tail with her long thin silky black hair, and then put the pad against her head, right above the elastic of the ponytail, and fold up her hair over it to hide it, and fix all of it with a hair-comb. Then she would roll the rest of her hair around the bun, tucking the end under the pad with some amish pins. I saw her do that "stuffed" bun all my life. It looked nice : big, round and soft. She needed that volume on her nape to feel self-confident, and no one could have told it was "half fake" ! :D As the hair pad compacted after a few months of use, she kept collecting her shed hair to make new ones. She just got back the hair net, if not too damaged, and filled it again with "fresh" hair^^

Sarahlabyrinth
April 7th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Hello there ! :)

I came by curiosity because I did not know what a "puny bun" was, lol. (I'm improving my English vocabulary with LHC^^). And I thought I could share with you my grand-ma "giant puny bun" secret.

My grand-mother, who was a mountain farmer, was living at a time where all ladies had their hair bunned. Usually, up-done in double-braid bun. Ladies of that time almost never cut their hair. My grand-ma had always had terminal length hair, and from what she told me, her hair must have been a little past classic length, and low side of ii. When I knew her (between 50 to 80 year old), her hair had consistently thinned, to something around BCL i. As she missed her old thick bun and was rather proud, she didn't want the other ladies to know how much her hair had thinned. So she collected her shed hair to make little "hair pads" that she closed into a very fine hair net and used them to fill her bun. So if anyone had asked her "is it all your hair ?" she could have answered honestly that it was^^. Extensions did not exist by that time, and it was the best way to ensure a perfect color matching filling.

To make her "big puny bun", she would make a low pony tail with her long thin silky black hair, and then put the pad against her head, right above the elastic of the ponytail, and fold up her hair over it to hide it, and fix all of it with a hair-comb. Then she would roll the rest of her hair around the bun, tucking the end under the pad with some amish pins. I saw her do that "stuffed" bun all my life. It looked nice : big, round and soft. She needed that volume on her nape to feel self-confident, and no one could have told it was "half fake" ! :D As the hair pad compacted after a few months of use, she kept collecting her shed hair to make new ones. She just got back the hair net, if not too damaged, and filled it again with "fresh" hair^^

This is such a great idea, Mimha. And how wonderful that you were able to know your grandmother, mine died before I was born.

Mimha
April 7th, 2015, 06:28 PM
This is such a great idea, Mimha. And how wonderful that you were able to know your grandmother, mine died before I was born.

Lol, Sarah : I knew all my grand-parents of both sides, and three of my great grand-mothers^^... My mother was only 16 when I was born.
Yes, I feel very lucky about that !... :)

Sarahlabyrinth
April 7th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Lol, Sarah : I knew all my grand-parents of both sides, and three of my great grand-mothers^^... My mother was only 16 when I was born.
Yes, I feel very lucky about that !... :)

Wow... you were indeed very fortunate :) Thanks for sharing the tip - I may or may not try that myself one day. My grandmother was 40 when she had my father, and I wasn't born until my father was 54. :)

DKSABS
April 7th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Mimha, what a neat idea your grandmother had!

violacutie
July 5th, 2015, 03:08 PM
I recently chopped off ten inches in a poorly misguided hair cut. I'm suffering from huge hair regret :( Even though when my hair is long I have a huge head-eating bun, I think this thread will be my home for the next year or two (or three).

surruh
July 5th, 2015, 05:08 PM
So my buns are typically pretty puny.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2nu3xqw.jpg
My apologies for the crappy picture!

But the other night I sort of by accident put my hair up and it looked huge! Except now I can't recreate it. :-(

I didn't think to take any better pictures of my hair but you can see here all along the top of my head

http://i60.tinypic.com/2it1kyg.jpg

Thinkrgrl
July 5th, 2015, 05:49 PM
Mimha, your grandma's use for her loose hair could be considered recycling in today's vernacular. I love it! And I'm going to try doing it. Now I don't have to see all that beautiful hair go into a trash bin.:hollie:

poli
September 24th, 2015, 01:34 AM
Let's see if i can upload a photo from the album :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19152&d=1443079907

lillielil
September 24th, 2015, 10:51 AM
I FOUND MY TRIBE!!

This thread has been so helpful, both in terms of seeing how beautiful all your puny buns are and getting some ideas for new buns that might work for me. I have been doing some kind of messy wrapped bun lately. Not sure if it is an actual LWB. It looks tidy with a stick, but relatively big with a fork. Here it is at approximately 80% fork/20% hair:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/geobabe/hair/E361C525-E840-467E-8474-8952B46678CD_zpsmgzrcexw.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/geobabe/media/hair/E361C525-E840-467E-8474-8952B46678CD_zpsmgzrcexw.jpg.html)

please excuse the mirror - I am really trying to learn how to take a point-n-shoot picture of my bun, but I always end up pointing the camera at an ear or something.

vpatt
September 24th, 2015, 11:30 AM
Yay, others who are afflicted with TWB!! (Teeny weeny bun). Mostly I wear my hair in a twist for now, it doesn't look as tiny,lol.

Christine_O
September 24th, 2015, 11:40 AM
I certainly belong here! I don't quite have enough hair yet to put it up in a bun, but when I did, it was tiny. I'm going to be generous with myself and say that once my hair is all long enough to fit in a ponytail, I'll have just over an inch diameter.
I'd love to have a bit more thickness to my hair, but I don't envy the big buns. I liked my neat, tidy itty bitty bun.

Lisa Long4Life
September 24th, 2015, 11:53 AM
mine's pretty puny

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/12002964_10153193057688435_3531562540903739289_n.j pg?oh=1184ef5d5b3e6de067aed4bdb0276c2e&oe=56955383

Groovy Granny
September 24th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Joining the club :)
With my short torso, puny buns are to be my destiny I am finding out :p lol
I had hoped growing to WL/hip would make a difference, but now my silver is coming in fast and it is very fine.
In the Summer my volume doubles and even triples with my curl explosions, but once bunned it becomes sleek.
My only facade is using a donut, which I am coming to love because it allows me to use the larger forks I never grew into.
*I have a few pics in my 'silver' album; pm me if you can't see them

RavenRose
September 24th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Yep me too! I'm just at APL 20.5", and I can just start to do buns that stay up, sometimes even without with the help of a bobby or two, or hair elastic hidden in there. the rest of me is pretty short and petite- other than my actual buns/thighs- so it would make sense my hair buns are also puny. if I use a fork I can get about a 2 1/2" wide bun. Pic show cinnabun with a 3 1/2" functional length fork....

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd177/paganrosemama/IMG_20150910_201943062.jpg (http://s221.photobucket.com/user/paganrosemama/media/IMG_20150910_201943062.jpg.html)

vpatt
September 24th, 2015, 01:29 PM
I actually bought a donut and I feel so proud with a normal sized bun, lol. But it does feel like cheating. But saving my own hair :disco:to use sounds good.....

Groovy Granny
September 24th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Lillie ~ Lisa and RavenRose Your hair toys look great in the buns you created :thumbsup:
If it is secure enough to wear out....go for it :)

Vpatt....I figure the donut is just giving more structure to the bun;we have enough hair to cover it ;)

I'm not too keen on the thought of using saved hair; I find shed hair to be gross ( at least in the tub...and my food lol) :p

NorthernLorelei
September 24th, 2015, 06:12 PM
mine's pretty puny

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/12002964_10153193057688435_3531562540903739289_n.j pg?oh=1184ef5d5b3e6de067aed4bdb0276c2e&oe=56955383

Just popping in to say that the barette's an absolute stunner in your hair! :crush:

roseomalley
September 24th, 2015, 08:26 PM
I bought a hair donut, but have not used it yet. I have two Bijoux Manoel hair pins p/forks that are too heavy for my little bun. Maybe they will work with a donut? Gonna try tomorrow.

roseomalley
September 24th, 2015, 08:28 PM
I wanted to add that the two hair forks mentioned in my previous post (a fairy and a cat) look kind of huge next
to my donutless bun.

rags
September 25th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Rose, nc you use them in French Twists? My hair looks to be about the same density as yours, and I can do them in French twists when it's longer (still need a pin or two to help though).

And I have a larger BM I need to let go. I can wear the little salamander - he's actually fairly small

I can wear a donut bun (with a much smaller than usual donut) but I do fnd they pull for me, so I don't do them often.

roseomalley
September 25th, 2015, 01:09 PM
:heart::heart:Hi Rags, on some days, I can use my Bijoux Manoels in a French Twist. It depends how my hair is. I have some of the sets of three , smaller pins that always work. If I am desparate, and my hair keeps spitting out the Bijoux Manoels, I will put a bit of salt spray on my hair before twisting.
I have her little turtle, which usually works wihout any help or any pulling.
I still have not tried my small donut bun maker. Maybe tonight when I have some alone time. Five of my seven grandchildren are here playing.

Lisa Long4Life
September 25th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Just popping in to say that the barette's an absolute stunner in your hair! :crush:

thank you :) It's from Amazon, I'm pretty happy with it. :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005ED7N76?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Lisa Long4Life
September 25th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Lillie ~ Lisa and RavenRose Your hair toys look great in the buns you created :thumbsup:
If it is secure enough to wear out....go for it :)

Vpatt....I figure the donut is just giving more structure to the bun;we have enough hair to cover it ;)

I'm not too keen on the thought of using saved hair; I find shed hair to be gross ( at least in the tub...and my food lol) :p

Thanks :D I'm at 22" now so it's not that short, but wrapped up it doesn't look much.
I'm a bit like this about saved hair. I wish I could get it all smooth and not knotted up.

Groovy Granny
September 25th, 2015, 02:43 PM
thank you :) It's from Amazon, I'm pretty happy with it. :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005ED7N76?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Thanks :D I'm at 22" now so it's not that short, but wrapped up it doesn't look much.
I'm a bit like this about saved hair. I wish I could get it all smooth and not knotted up.

That barrette is beautiful; you do it more justice than Amazon does lol

My bun volume disappears when it is sleek from dry air too.

teal
September 25th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Huzzah! A(nother) place I can call home! ;)

My bun is tiny (can fit most/all of it in my hand) and my hair is around fingertip length. Absolutely no stranger thinks my hair is as long as it is. Even people who do have some idea of the length are surprised when I take my hair down. And it constantly pouches out at the back. And parts itself along wide, unflattering lines from cowlick to crown, sigh. I have dark, fine hair and very pale skin so it looks even more obvious than it otherwise might.

Add me to the Teflon-hair club too. I think the only days where I could go without adjusting my buns are when they're wrapped so tight they give me a headache... so I adjust them... :lol: It's kind of hard for me to wrap my head around how my hair can manage to unwrap itself from being wrapped around the base around 5 or 6 times. I suppose the solution is forks through and through, but I'm really digging sticks right now. Edit: Or Ficcare clips. I haven't tried one of those yet.

AutobotsAttack
September 25th, 2015, 05:23 PM
FINALLY! a place where I can reside and hide like little hermit crab lol. My buns are indeed pathetically puny, HOWEVER (and this is pretty much my saving grace) if I wash my hair and comb it out my buns look amazingly poofy and big and lovely, but the instant I put my moisturizers and oils on my hair, it shrinks down almost immediately.

Groovy Granny
October 4th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Joining the club :)
With my short torso, puny buns are to be my destiny I am finding out :p lol
I had hoped growing to WL/hip would make a difference, but now my silver is coming in fast and it is very fine.
In the Summer my volume doubles and even triples with my curl explosions, but once bunned it becomes sleek.
My only facade is using a donut, which I am coming to love because it allows me to use the larger forks I never grew into.
*I have a few pics in my 'silver' album; pm me if you can't see them
Finally got a pic ~
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19326&d=1443993887

lillielil
October 12th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Puny bun fork help needed!

I'm new to the world of real hairtoys, so I'm not yet sure what works and what doesn't! I know that I can make sticks work for most things (even though the only ones I have are too long to look right), but my fork experience is limited to my short 3-prong Jeter fork.

Would this fork (https://www.etsy.com/listing/247965680/galaxy-hair-fork-metal-hair-pin-chignon) hold fine/thin BSL hair in a LWB or similar? I like the length, but am worried that the tines may be too far apart.

Groovy Granny
October 12th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Puny bun fork help needed!

I'm new to the world of real hairtoys, so I'm not yet sure what works and what doesn't! I know that I can make sticks work for most things (even though the only ones I have are too long to look right), but my fork experience is limited to my short 3-prong Jeter fork.

Would this fork (https://www.etsy.com/listing/247965680/galaxy-hair-fork-metal-hair-pin-chignon) hold fine/thin BSL hair in a LWB or similar? I like the length, but am worried that the tines may be too far apart.

That's pretty; I was admiring it just the other day ;)

It says the tines are just 1 inch apart...that should hold fine :)

The functional length is just 3 inches, but it may work in a tight/center hold bun.
I even use my same sized forks (not that one) in half ups too.

lillielil
October 12th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Thank you! And thanks for not mentioning that I've sworn off new purchases over on the "time out" thread :)

Now what do you recommend for sticks? I have some cheap ones that I got from Sally's, but they are not smooth and are just ridiculously long at 7.5". I have been thinking that twisted or spiral sticks might be best, but as long as they have some grip I think I can probably get just about anything to work.

Groovy Granny
October 12th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Thank you! And thanks for not mentioning that I've sworn off new purchases over on the "time out" thread :)

Now what do you recommend for sticks? I have some cheap ones that I got from Sally's, but they are not smooth and are just ridiculously long at 7.5". I have been thinking that twisted or spiral sticks might be best, but as long as they have some grip I think I can probably get just about anything to work.

I forgot you were ;)
Then again....there were many times I was in time out, but didn't have a complete collection...so I'd be in and out LOL
It is one thing to be conscious of finances and starting a hair toy collection for basic needs...and another to just buy one of every color/make etc.

The only twisted sticks I have are from Ketylo (http://www.ketylo.com/); he even has a sale going on now.
It can take a little longer for him to ship but his sticks are very pretty!

You can also check the Swap Board (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14) here; I have seen twisted sticks offered for sale by several people recently.

I find that 5 inch sticks work great for me; I am waist length with a short torso so it is a bit shorter length than others.
But I also have 6 in sticks from Eaduards (https://www.etsy.com/shop/EaduardHairsticks?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=hair%20sticks&ref=sr_gallery_3) that work good also.

Groovy Granny
October 12th, 2015, 02:38 PM
My sticks are in my toy album.

OverTheHawaiianMoon (https://www.etsy.com/shop/OverTheHawaiianMoon?section_id=15869555&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2) also has wavy sticks.
Jim's work is great and ships fast too :)

I love his forks, and have a stick from him.
I worried they would be slippery but they hold like a rock...even in my slippery hair!

rags
October 12th, 2015, 03:10 PM
I have a bit different experience from GG - that fork wouldn't work for me due to the width of the tines. But my hair is very fine, very thin, and quite slippery, so YMMV. If your hair isn't super slippery, it will probably work. Mine escapes from braid elastics; just slithers free. :p

I have to second Ketylo as the best beginner stick, and good for fine/thin hair. Eaduards are good too, as are ONN (but his waiting list is VERY long!) if you like acrylics. Mamacats hold fairly well for me too, though Ketylos hold better.

Groovy Granny
October 12th, 2015, 03:14 PM
I find that the LWB is my 'go to bun' these days.
I adjust the tension by # fingers used and it holds...all day (sticks or forks)

rags
October 12th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Mine had to get to around hip to reliably hold all day long - it's just too slippery! At BSL I was still having to do it quite tightly and careful of which sticks I used :shrug: Just a difference in hair type I suppose!

The LWB is my 'go to bun" also! It's easy and with a fork it makes it look like I have more hair! :p

lillielil
October 12th, 2015, 03:26 PM
LWB (or something like it) is my go-to as well since I found that my hair does not like twisting. I adjust the number of fingers and the position of the loop depending on what I'm putting it it and how my hair is behaving. The poofy mess I posted on this thread a while back was a LWB that held like a rock. I love my singular fork, but would like to have a little more variety.

The only other bun I can do reliably is the 2-LWB-in-1, but that ends up looking smaller so I don't do it often. I'm not counting sock buns.

I will check out Ketylos. I like that there is a 5" option!

Groovy Granny
October 12th, 2015, 04:00 PM
LWB (or something like it) is my go-to as well since I found that my hair does not like twisting. I adjust the number of fingers and the position of the loop depending on what I'm putting it it and how my hair is behaving. The poofy mess I posted on this thread a while back was a LWB that held like a rock. I love my singular fork, but would like to have a little more variety.

The only other bun I can do reliably is the 2-LWB-in-1, but that ends up looking smaller so I don't do it often. I'm not counting sock buns.

I will check out Ketylos. I like that there is a 5" option!

Let us know what you decide to get :popcorn:

lillielil
October 13th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Ok, I don't know why I was worried about the fork because it is literally the same dimensions as the DPN that I use every single time I take a shower. I feel confident in saying that I will post an action shot as soon as I receive it.

I'm still trying to figure out what to get in terms of sticks. I like the look of the ketylos, but am not sure if I prefer dymondwood or acrylic. I want to keep my collection fairly neutral, professional, and simple, but I also want things like sticks with daleks on them.

Groovy Granny
October 13th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Ok, I don't know why I was worried about the fork because it is literally the same dimensions as the DPN that I use every single time I take a shower. I feel confident in saying that I will post an action shot as soon as I receive it.

I'm still trying to figure out what to get in terms of sticks. I like the look of the ketylos, but am not sure if I prefer dymondwood or acrylic. I want to keep my collection fairly neutral, professional, and simple, but I also want things like sticks with daleks on them.

FYI: the dymondwood factory burned down last year....so the selection offered will be dwindling over time.
Just saying :whistle:

lillielil
October 13th, 2015, 09:49 AM
FYI: the dymondwood factory burned down last year....so the selection offered will be dwindling over time.
Just saying :whistle:

Um... thank you for effectively lighting a fire under my rear!
:gobblecheese:

Oh no. What length should I get? I certainly don't need any longer than 5" now, but what if my hair grows to my ankles and there is still no more dymondwood?

lillielil
October 13th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Well thanks a lot. I just bought 2 single dymondwood sticks and a pair of acrylics. I've never worn two sticks at the same time since mine have always been worn out of necessity, not beauty. I found a thread here where someone had posted pictures of her 5" sticks in a large bun, and that was enough to convince me that length will be fine.