PDA

View Full Version : The Official Puny Bun Club!

Pages : 1 [2]

Lisa Long4Life
October 13th, 2015, 11:29 AM
I'm doing a lot of LWB's (with a stick or 2) now that I've mastered it. I had made my own flipped version of it* before that and I thought it was because I was left handed. I watched another tutorial and realised what I was doing wrong :)

*as seen in my avatar

Groovy Granny
October 13th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Um... thank you for effectively lighting a fire under my rear!
:gobblecheese:

Oh no. What length should I get? I certainly don't need any longer than 5" now, but what if my hair grows to my ankles and there is still no more dymondwood?

Well thanks a lot. I just bought 2 single dymondwood sticks and a pair of acrylics. I've never worn two sticks at the same time since mine have always been worn out of necessity, not beauty. I found a thread here where someone had posted pictures of her 5" sticks in a large bun, and that was enough to convince me that length will be fine.
LOL Glad to hear you bit on that one; what colors did you get?
I got pearl acrylics, a pair of walnut, and indigo dymondwood.

My 5 inch sticks serve me just as well as the 6 inch sticks (more common size for long hairs).
It all depends on hair length/thickness and how much stick you want showing.

Enjoy!!

I'm doing a lot of LWB's (with a stick or 2) now that I've mastered it. I had made my own flipped version of it* before that and I thought it was because I was left handed. I watched another tutorial and realised what I was doing wrong :)

*as seen in my avatar

Your bun looks great....not puny looking at all!

I LOVE LWB; they hold so well....and I am excited I can now use 3-4 fingers depending on the fork/sticks I use. lol

lillielil
October 13th, 2015, 02:06 PM
I went for Earth & Sky, Agatewood, and a pair of White & Black acrylics. I have spent so much money on hair stuff the last two days. And we're going on vacation next week and in the process of buying a house. Time to take a step back!

Groovy Granny
October 13th, 2015, 02:22 PM
I went for Earth & Sky, Agatewood, and a pair of White & Black acrylics. I have spent so much money on hair stuff the last two days. And we're going on vacation next week and in the process of buying a house. Time to take a step back!

Oh nice :thumbsup:
Yeah funny how it all comes at once :p
Well, enjoy it all :)

Lisa Long4Life
October 13th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Your bun looks great....not puny looking at all!

I LOVE LWB; they hold so well....and I am excited I can now use 3-4 fingers depending on the fork/sticks I use. lol

Thanks, I don't think it looks too bad like that. It was quite puny when I was doing chinese braided buns.
I'm only using one finger though, if I use more fingers it feels lose. Haven't tried a fork yet though. :)
I've got some very pretty 2 pronged clip type things that I'm yet to figure out how to wear.

kaylenfalse
October 13th, 2015, 02:42 PM
How long does your hair have to be to do a LWB? My hair just isn't holding. Are my layers to blame?

Groovy Granny
October 13th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Thanks, I don't think it looks too bad like that. It was quite puny when I was doing chinese braided buns.
I'm only using one finger though, if I use more fingers it feels lose. Haven't tried a fork yet though. :)
I've got some very pretty 2 pronged clip type things that I'm yet to figure out how to wear.

Mine is more secure with 1 or 2 fingers as well.

Forks and ficcares need a looser fit; sticks not so much.

By 2 pronged clip....do you mean an alligator clip or ficcare?

I open mine wide and insert the bottom in as you do a stick, and the top rests ...on top. ;)

Arctic
October 13th, 2015, 03:01 PM
How long does your hair have to be to do a LWB? My hair just isn't holding. Are my layers to blame?

The last time I grew my hair, it was right in the middle of ii thickness, and I was able to do it on damp hair at/after APL. A little longer and I was able to do it on dry hair too. I did have some layers, but it was not very layered.

Groovy Granny
October 13th, 2015, 03:24 PM

Layers are a factor for sure; at least they were with me.

Try using just your fingers (+/_) ; you may also need pins for the ends that poke out.
Once I was one length I was fine; can't comment on the exact length because I am so short waisted but I was @ BSL.

lillielil
October 13th, 2015, 04:13 PM

My hair is just about BSL with layers and I can do a darn-good LWB on 2 fingers but it does not look too tidy. Play around with where your stick or fork exits the bun. For me that makes the difference between a rock-solid bun and a slithery mess.

lillielil
October 26th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Puny bun with new Tempest Moon fork

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/geobabe/hair/E90F9D96-F680-4544-82A4-5CB8C1825891_zpsdkrz4xqf.jpg

I seriously need to learn how to take better pictures of the back of my head.

Groovy Granny
October 26th, 2015, 03:55 PM

That is so pretty....and doesn't look puny!

I struggle with action shots too...in sunlight!
My arms must be too short....and having arthritis in my shoulders doesn't help :laugh:
But I thought yours came out pretty good!

lunasea
October 26th, 2015, 08:12 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/geobabe/hair/E90F9D96-F680-4544-82A4-5CB8C1825891_zpsdkrz4xqf.jpg

Cutest bun ever!

RavenRose
October 26th, 2015, 09:32 PM
That bun is very cute! love that fork!

teal
October 27th, 2015, 09:45 AM
It is such a cute bun, and it's such a cute fork! The pic is just fine, too. :)

Lisa Long4Life
October 27th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Mine is more secure with 1 or 2 fingers as well.

Forks and ficcares need a looser fit; sticks not so much.

By 2 pronged clip....do you mean an alligator clip or ficcare?

I open mine wide and insert the bottom in as you do a stick, and the top rests ...on top. ;)

Sorry I haven't replied yet, I forgot about this thread!
I'll try and get a photo after my son has gone to bed :)

Lisa Long4Life
October 27th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Actually I have a couple on facebook :

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12047080_10153203927258435_6929429888561078728_n.j pg?oh=03c23fa4f658f924430c9455ce661ab6&oe=56B73C14

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlt1/v/t1.0-9/12065525_10153219039213435_9133594177449572530_n.j pg?oh=416ae13dbccefbb8f10cf756de48f1ed&oe=56D0AA57

Groovy Granny
October 27th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Sorry I haven't replied yet, I forgot about this thread!
I'll try and get a photo after my son has gone to bed :)
Oh no problem lol
If I don't subscribe I lose threads...even then I forget about posts I have made with questions :doh:
I should bookmark them to see replies ;)

Groovy Granny
October 27th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Actually I have a couple on facebook :

Oh I did see that pic in another post somewhere...beautiful!!

Lisa Long4Life
October 27th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Oh no problem lol
If I don't subscribe I lose threads...even then I forget about posts I have made with questions :doh:
I should bookmark them to see replies ;)

ooh good idea :)

Groovy Granny
October 27th, 2015, 12:18 PM
ooh good idea :)

Bookmarks and thread subscriptions.....my laptop version of sticky notes to jar this old brain :p :laugh:

lillielil
October 27th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Awww, thanks everyone! You are all too kind. The "cute" bun is a not-so-lazy wrap bun that just happened to turn out kind of interesting. My hair usually hates to be twisted, but a regular LWB wasn't quite sturdy enough for the fork.

Groovy Granny
October 27th, 2015, 01:18 PM
Well you did good...I thought that's what it was lol

Whatever works...until it works ;)

swords & roses
October 28th, 2015, 09:23 PM
I love all the puny buns in here! :crush:

As for how to take hair pictures: I like to set my camera on a bookshelf or something, enable the timer on it, & take pictures that way until I get one I'm satisfied with. Then I crop out all the unnecessary stuff. This way, I don't have to contort, and by having the camera further from my head, the size of my bun appears more accurate compared to real-life than it does when a picture is taken up close.

Though if I am going the selfie, hand-held route, I'll actually face a mirror & take the photo with my phone while it's in forward-facing-camera mode (or whatever it's called) so that I can see in the mirror what the camera is catching. ;)

Groovy Granny
October 28th, 2015, 09:45 PM
I love all the puny buns in here! :crush:

As for how to take hair pictures: I like to set my camera on a bookshelf or something, enable the timer on it, & take pictures that way until I get one I'm satisfied with. Then I crop out all the unnecessary stuff. This way, I don't have to contort, and by having the camera further from my head, the size of my bun appears more accurate compared to real-life than it does when a picture is taken up close.

Though if I am going the selfie, hand-held route, I'll actually face a mirror & take the photo with my phone while it's in forward-facing-camera mode (or whatever it's called) so that I can see in the mirror what the camera is catching. ;)

I'll bookmark your comments for future reference, and see what I can manage lol ;)

Soulina
October 29th, 2015, 02:32 AM
I definitely belong here, my buns are tiny. Here is pics of my hair today

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19535&d=1446107180http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19534&d=1446107178

My hair is almost waist length, and the bun is held up with 3 hairpins. I also sleep with my hair bunned like this. Sorry for the phone quality :oops:

Agnes Hannah
October 29th, 2015, 09:33 AM

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19535&d=1446107180http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19534&d=1446107178

My hair is almost waist length, and the bun is held up with 3 hairpins. I also sleep with my hair bunned like this. Sorry for the phone quality :oops:

That's a lovely bun!!!

Groovy Granny
October 29th, 2015, 11:31 AM

That looks about the size of mine....yours is very pretty!
Love the color and shine too :thumbsup:
I can't say I would feel safe leaving the house with only 3 pins in it :hmm:
That's just me...paranoid it would fall apart...so I always use SECURE clips lol :o

Groovy Granny
October 29th, 2015, 04:05 PM
turquoise beaded 8 & stick
Keepituphairtoys-etsy (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129809)

Earrings - Annidesignsllc - etsy

LWB

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19542&d=1446156083

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19540&d=1446156074

lillielil
October 29th, 2015, 04:15 PM
Oh so pretty! I love it and the color is great on you.

Groovy Granny
October 29th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Oh so pretty! I love it and the color is great on you.

Thanks..I love it; it is more delicate looking in person. :)
Pics always distort perspective...and I am not good with pics LOL

hennalonghair
October 29th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Oh that is a great match GG! :applause

Groovy Granny
October 29th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Oh that is a great match GG! :applause

;) :thumbsup: I love it when that happens!

Soulina
October 29th, 2015, 11:51 PM
Groovy Granny I get headache if I use too much pins, also mu hair just slips out of claw clips, and I always manage to put them too close to my scalp. My record with bun is 48h of hold with just 3 pins, but my hair is very light, so it holds easily in place.

diddiedaisy
October 30th, 2015, 02:23 AM
Gorgeous buns everyone, but sorry they don't look puny to me!!!

I also wish my brain wouldn't automatically think of ponies when I see the thread title hehe

Lisa Long4Life
October 30th, 2015, 04:54 AM
Lovely pics Groovy Granny - the colours are fab and I like your matching earrings too :thumbsup:

hennalonghair
October 30th, 2015, 05:47 AM

I also wish my brain wouldn't automatically think of ponies when I see the thread title hehe

:lol: I don't see puny buns either. I was shocked to realize GG was posting in a puny bun thread. I just don't see puny buns.:shrug:

Groovy Granny
October 30th, 2015, 07:56 AM
Groovy Granny I get headache if I use too much pins, also mu hair just slips out of claw clips, and I always manage to put them too close to my scalp. My record with bun is 48h of hold with just 3 pins, but my hair is very light, so it holds easily in place.
Wow...that's amazing; whatever works :thumbsup:

LOL
Funny how the mind can process words printed correctly...when on FB they have those posts with the words backwards and upside down...yet you can still read it :doh:!

:lol: I don't see puny buns either. I was shocked to realize GG was posting in a puny bun thread. I just don't see puny buns.:shrug:

Pics can be so deceiving...I have actually felt the same about other's pics on this thread lol!

My hair is fine and I don't have the longer lengths others domon LHC being so short in the waist/torso.
So it is actually pretty small (puny) compared to OTHERs with longer lengths at this landmark.

Outside of LHC it may seem normal, though I must try to balance tension....tight enough to stay... but not so much as to look like a meatball with a skewer through it :laugh:

LWB are very forgiving these days if I use flexis/beaded 8s/ficcares; they center hold securely, and flatten the outer hair a bit to make the bun look larger. :heart:

vpatt
November 9th, 2015, 06:40 AM
I think I graduated up about half a notch. Maybe from a teeny tiny bun up to just a tiny, lol. Probably not visible to others. Lol

lillielil
November 9th, 2015, 08:01 AM
I think I graduated up about half a notch. Maybe from a teeny tiny bun up to just a tiny, lol. Probably not visible to others. Lol

If it feels different to you, it counts! Congrats :cheer:

Groovy Granny
November 9th, 2015, 09:24 AM

Yay vpatt ~ congrats :thumbsup:

chen bao jun
November 11th, 2015, 08:17 PM

Yeah, I think these buns are puny only in LHC land. To understand the title, you have to go over to 'the Bun Thread'. Because many on there have buns that are absolutely overwhelming, the ladies on here can't be convinced that their buns aren't small. When actually in real life, not counting sock buns and such, people take down their buns much smaller than what you see in this thread and their hair is hip or waist length. And the buns aren't so pretty in real life as they are on here!!

I posted once the same as you here--and after everyone patiently and kindly explained to me why their buns were actually small,even though they don't look it, I decided not to argue about it but jsut to come here and enjoy the eye candy.

yahirwaO.o
November 11th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I think these buns are puny only in LHC land. To understand the title, you have to go over to 'the Bun Thread'. Because many on there have buns that are absolutely overwhelming, the ladies on here can't be convinced that their buns aren't small. When actually in real life, not counting sock buns and such, people take down their buns much smaller than what you see in this thread and their hair is hip or waist length. And the buns aren't so pretty in real life as they are on here!!

Totally agree with all this! I though my bun was pretty small, but in real life get comments it looks big. Maybe its because guys wearing buns are the real puny buns in life, all super messy half shaved rat thingy.

But yeah my bun is pretty average outside here, however LHC spectacular huge head eater buns are so freaking awesome!!!!

chen bao jun
November 11th, 2015, 08:34 PM
yahirwaO.o
I am so sorry--I said ladies and I forgot about you men with the great buns. (somehow that sentence doesn't seem right--)

anyway, the bun on your head is definitely awesome.

I have yet to see a bun in real life like some of these on LHC--I swear, I know a lot of people who add fake hair to their buns and so forth, and still do not match or come close to the head-eating buns one sees on here routinely, not just in the bun thread but in many of the hair toy threads. I mean, where on earth except here are there SEVERAL people who need to wear two large ficcares? It's really hard to keep perspective on this forum. I like it over here where I have a hope of having a bun like some of these one day, after I've been a very good girl for a bit...

Groovy Granny
November 11th, 2015, 09:00 PM
yahirwaO.o
I am so sorry--I said ladies and I forgot about you men with the great buns. (somehow that sentence doesn't seem right--)

I have yet to see a bun in real life like some of these on LHC--I swear, I know a lot of people who add fake hair to their buns and so forth, and still do not match or come close to the head-eating buns one sees on here routinely, not just in the bun thread but in many of the hair toy threads. I mean, where on earth except here are there SEVERAL people who need to wear two large ficcares? It's really hard to keep perspective on this forum. I like it over here where I have a hope of having a bun like some of these one day, after I've been a very good girl for a bit...

LOL yes I am guilty of not being inclusive as well :bowtome:

Very true....amazing hair here; spoken by an authentic puny bunner :o

yahirwaO.o
November 11th, 2015, 10:22 PM
yahirwaO.o

No problem, this forum is pretty neutral gender and I've been mistaken for a girl so many freakin times I no longer care! Just so you have and idea. And that sentence does sound good lol!

Hehe that's just my morning bun, but if it looks great to you I feel honored!

I see big buns in my area, only gotta say, big cinnamons held with 2 or 3 scrunchies or a giant claw clip, girls here are not great with toys!

Your beautiful texture hair can at least resemble a very big bun! With good care you can totally archive it!

kikuhoshi
November 12th, 2015, 02:13 AM
Ah, I have found my people. I have thin, incredibly fine hair, and even though it's down between my hips and my tailbone, my buns are usually smaller than the palm of my hand (and braided, or else they won't stay up. Yay, slippery hair. :P ). For comparison's sake, my palm is roughly as long as an iPhone 5c is wide, so just over 2.33in/59.2mm. Quite disappointing.

lillielil
November 12th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Ah, I have found my people. I have thin, incredibly fine hair, and even though it's down between my hips and my tailbone, my buns are usually smaller than the palm of my hand (and braided, or else they won't stay up. Yay, slippery hair. :P ). For comparison's sake, my palm is roughly as long as an iPhone 5c is wide, so just over 2.33in/59.2mm. Quite disappointing.

I'm sorry about your disappointing bun size, but I love your very precise measuring system! I just picked up my phone (5c) and compared it to my palm. Apparently I have giant ogre paws.

Groovy Granny
November 12th, 2015, 11:28 AM

I have started braiding too, or doing a tighter LWB.

Welcome to the 'puny bun club' :flowers:

cat11
November 14th, 2015, 06:55 AM

I posted once the same as you here--and after everyone patiently and kindly explained to me why their buns were actually small,even though they don't look it, I decided not to argue about it but jsut to come here and enjoy the eye candy.

Yes, LHC is a concentrated community of hair gurus and bun masters. And people with vast amounts of hair to work with. I do sometimes see people out of LHC with worthy buns, but it isn't often. I think it's partly due to style trends and wide spread laziness, and that you need a lot of hair for a big bun and statistically not many people have it- either in thickness, or in length. So many girls I see at my college do these (in my opinion ugly) little bee butt buns (little cause they have <bsl layered hair) secured with hair elastics stretched over the whole thing. It's artless. I do see LHC worth hair being worn down more often than in a stunning bun. And all us lHC members have lives out side of here, too- so while it's rare to spot someone ... we are out there.

I love the buns in this thread though and I do find them to be stunning LHC buns just as much as the big ones. If I didn't why would I always visit this thread to check them out? I don't belong here, hair wise. I adore the intricacy people with more condensed hair can acheive, which I would need much more length to pull off, or can only pull off by draping accent braids. As long as a bun is arranged nicely and with care, I'd so much rather see a tiny bun like that than a huge sock bun or lazy looped through a hair tie bun. There is love in lhc buns. To me its more about the styling and finished look than the size. Of course that's coming from someone with huge hair...

rags
November 14th, 2015, 10:18 AM
To join in - my buns ARE puny! The problem with a lot of them is finding toys and heck, even hairpins short enough. The 3" pins are too long on me when I'm at WAIST and will stick out (they just barely didn't stick out at hip). And even a 5" stick can look incredibly hugs in one of my nautilus buns. So yeah, some of us do have legitimately puny buns. :p

I still think they're beautiful for the same reasons you describe, cat11 (I have an irrational dislike of the "messy bun" achieved with elastics, which is purely my own problem, I know!). And yes, you can get some intricate looks with them. On the other hand, braided buns, for example, look horrid on me. The braid is so small that you can't see properly that it's a braid and it just looks messy.

Pros and cons, as with everything!

Oh, and I might be a wee bit biased because my sister-in-law had ankle length, quite thick hair for many, many years and always wore it in a huge, head eating, braided cinnamon bun. My mother-in-law had the same thick hair and although hers never went past hip - it made enormous buns! So yeah, mine has always felt extra special puny in comparison. :p

cat11
November 14th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Rags I can't stand the messy elastic bun either. And if you ever need short sticks you should pm me.

lazuliblue
November 14th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Rags I have the same problem with braided buns, I kept think that when my hair was 'longer' I would be able to do a braided bun, but it is clearly not to be!

EdG
November 14th, 2015, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't worry about having small buns. In the real world, those would be considered normal buns. I observed this firsthand while I was in the office last week. I saw small bun after small bun... then, I realized that I was the freak. :lol:
Ed

Groovy Granny
November 14th, 2015, 11:18 AM
To join in - my buns ARE puny! The problem with a lot of them is finding toys and heck, even hairpins short enough. The 3" pins are too long on me when I'm at WAIST and will stick out (they just barely didn't stick out at hip). And even a 5" stick can look incredibly hugs in one of my nautilus buns. So yeah, some of us do have legitimately puny buns. :p

I still think they're beautiful for the same reasons you describe, cat11 (I have an irrational dislike of the "messy bun" achieved with elastics, which is purely my own problem, I know!). And yes, you can get some intricate looks with them. On the other hand, braided buns, for example, look horrid on me. The braid is so small that you can't see properly that it's a braid and it just looks messy.

Pros and cons, as with everything!

Oh, and I might be a wee bit biased because my sister-in-law had ankle length, quite thick hair for many, many years and always wore it in a huge, head eating, braided cinnamon bun. My mother-in-law had the same thick hair and although hers never went past hip - it made enormous buns! So yeah, mine has always felt extra special puny in comparison. :p

I can't do braided buns alone for that reason...it just looks like a big knot LOL

I do a LWB with ficcare or a stick.
Cinnamon buns must be secured with an alligator clip; I got some from amazon and claires [pics in my toy album]
My hair is too thin and slippery to secure it with a fork, stick or pins :doh:

Those relatives are the exception rags ~ NO comparisons allowed :wink: (((hugs)))

chen bao jun
November 14th, 2015, 06:15 PM
No problem, this forum is pretty neutral gender and I've been mistaken for a girl so many freakin times I no longer care! Just so you have and idea. And that sentence does sound good lol!

Hehe that's just my morning bun, but if it looks great to you I feel honored!

I see big buns in my area, only gotta say, big cinnamons held with 2 or 3 scrunchies or a giant claw clip, girls here are not great with toys!

Your beautiful texture hair can at least resemble a very big bun! With good care you can totally achieve it!

You are so nice to compliment me on my texture and I appreciate it. I wish my hair could 'resemble a very big bun'. Not yet it can't. As person with high density hair, I only very recently started being able to manage a bun at all, and feel incredibly chuffed at this milestone, which I have actually only reached because I've got a lot of damage and hence a biiiiiig taper. Without the thinner ends, I'd have no bun yet at all. I have to say, that I am proud of my buns though (you guys know what I mean, stop snickering please). They are smaller than most I see here. But I refuse to refer to them as 'puny'--I am thinking of them as an accomplishment and about it being great to have graduated from that thing I did all my life before LHC when I made a ponytail, pinned the ends under and said that it was a bun lol

chen bao jun
November 14th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Rags, your hair is beautiful. EdG, yes, you are a freak--but in a good way. More photos please now, people---

lillielil
November 16th, 2015, 11:42 AM
I'm asking here because I couldn't find the appropriate thread in the Products/Accessories forum.

I ordered Ketylos on October 13th. Since then I followed up once on October 16 to make sure that my order went through since I didn't get a confirmation email. Is it normal for it to take this long for them to ship out? I'm starting to get a bit worried because I don't know how much longer my shipping address will be accurate.

Lisa Long4Life
November 16th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Learning the hypnobun, I'm not sure it's quite right but it looks a bit less puny :)

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/12241341_10153275724838435_5862190401253009984_n.j pg?oh=be8e42b7e25beebeb05f4d3b35f553fd&oe=56BA2A18

I've got some better pics on my phone

Groovy Granny
November 16th, 2015, 01:25 PM
I'm asking here because I couldn't find the appropriate thread in the Products/Accessories forum.

I ordered Ketylos on October 13th. Since then I followed up once on October 16 to make sure that my order went through since I didn't get a confirmation email. Is it normal for it to take this long for them to ship out? I'm starting to get a bit worried because I don't know how much longer my shipping address will be accurate.

I see you found the Ketylo thread; good luck!

Learning the hypnobun, I'm not sure it's quite right but it looks a bit less puny :)

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/12241341_10153275724838435_5862190401253009984_n.j pg?oh=be8e42b7e25beebeb05f4d3b35f553fd&oe=56BA2A18

I've got some better pics on my phone

Pretty ...and not puny looking at all :thumbsup:

RavenRose
November 16th, 2015, 06:43 PM
So here are some of my puny buns... cross posted from the fall swap. I finaly have enough to do a lazy wrap bun!

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd177/paganrosemama/Action%20shots.jpg (http://s221.photobucket.com/user/paganrosemama/media/Action%20shots.jpg.html)

lillielil
November 16th, 2015, 07:54 PM
So here are some of my puny buns... cross posted from the fall swap. I finaly have enough to do a lazy wrap bun!

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd177/paganrosemama/Action%20shots.jpg (http://s221.photobucket.com/user/paganrosemama/media/Action%20shots.jpg.html)

Looks great! Those are some fantastic toys you got :)

Entangled
November 16th, 2015, 08:23 PM
Totally agree with all this! I though my bun was pretty small, but in real life get comments it looks big. Maybe its because guys wearing buns are the real puny buns in life, all super messy half shaved rat thingy.

Oh, I snorted at this! :spitting: It's so true! I actually enjoy the occasional man bun, but all the ones I see are like what you say. I want to see a nice cinnabun for once. But no one has the hair.

Groovy Granny
November 16th, 2015, 09:16 PM

Your hair looks very pretty with those toys and buns :thumbsup:

Lirona
November 16th, 2015, 11:05 PM
Yes, LHC is a concentrated community of hair gurus and bun masters. And people with vast amounts of hair to work with. I do sometimes see people out of LHC with worthy buns, but it isn't often. I think it's partly due to style trends and wide spread laziness, and that you need a lot of hair for a big bun and statistically not many people have it- either in thickness, or in length. So many girls I see at my college do these (in my opinion ugly) little bee butt buns (little cause they have <bsl layered hair) secured with hair elastics stretched over the whole thing. It's artless. I do see LHC worth hair being worn down more often than in a stunning bun. And all us lHC members have lives out side of here, too- so while it's rare to spot someone ... we are out there.

I love the buns in this thread though and I do find them to be stunning LHC buns just as much as the big ones. If I didn't why would I always visit this thread to check them out? I don't belong here, hair wise. I adore the intricacy people with more condensed hair can acheive, which I would need much more length to pull off, or can only pull off by draping accent braids. As long as a bun is arranged nicely and with care, I'd so much rather see a tiny bun like that than a huge sock bun or lazy looped through a hair tie bun. There is love in lhc buns. To me its more about the styling and finished look than the size. Of course that's coming from someone with huge hair...

Well said, cat11! :) I agree 100%, and also love looking at this thread.

Daydreamer.
January 9th, 2016, 03:01 AM
My buns have always been super small and dinky. I guess I belong here!

Nellon
January 9th, 2016, 08:46 AM
Hi guys! I have some hairtoys that I'd like to pass on to anyone who wants them. And I thought I'd give a shoutout to you guys about the shorter ones first :)

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1049279878
https://www.etsy.com/se-en/transaction/1009288715
and one 5" eaduard hairstick "seasons change"

If someone wants them they're totally free.
:)

(When I first got here I was met with much generosity and kindness and I would like to give back a little bit) :)

ETA: Update: Now the three sticks have been claimed. Fork is pending :)

CRX<3
January 9th, 2016, 08:51 AM
Oh, Nellon how generous! :heart:
I would love the fork, the colors are really beautiful :D

Maybe I can send you something in return!

EDIT:

I converted the measurements wrong from inch to cm, sadly the comb is a bit too small for me, I hope someone else will have a perfect match!

Nellon
January 9th, 2016, 09:11 AM

Maybe I can send you something in return!

EDIT:

I converted the measurements wrong from inch to cm, sadly the comb is a bit too small for me, I hope someone else will have a perfect match!

Aw, what a shame... :(

Agnes Hannah
January 13th, 2016, 10:01 AM
I'm sorry about your disappointing bun size, but I love your very precise measuring system! I just picked up my phone (5c) and compared it to my palm. Apparently I have giant ogre paws.

This is so funny! you made me laugh out loud lillieli, I have got a picture in my head of giant ogre paws holding an Iphone now. Sorry to derail folks.

lillielil
January 15th, 2016, 12:03 PM
I've been experimenting lately with how much I can pull apart buns without them falling apart. Here's a giant exploded pha bun. Before fluffing, it was about the size of a medium egg, with a good amount of 5" stick poking out both top and bottom.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/geobabe/hair/83EB0D1C-E6CD-48BC-93C9-C752A6D2D646_zpsqw1b7vgz.jpg

Groovy Granny
January 15th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Hi guys! I have some hairtoys that I'd like to pass on to anyone who wants them. And I thought I'd give a shoutout to you guys about the shorter ones first :)

(When I first got here I was met with much generosity and kindness and I would like to give back a little bit) :)

I just did that (for the same reason too) ...doesn't it feel great?! :joy:

Just post any FREE hair toy offers in this thread: RAOK List from Pay It Forward Swap (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=124665)

There are people on a list waiting to adopt them :)

roseomalley
January 15th, 2016, 03:09 PM
I've been experimenting lately with how much I can pull apart buns without them falling apart. Here's a giant exploded pha bun. Before fluffing, it was about the size of a medium egg, with a good amount of 5" stick poking out both top and bottom.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/geobabe/hair/83EB0D1C-E6CD-48BC-93C9-C752A6D2D646_zpsqw1b7vgz.jpg

I cannot believe how big your bun is after you pulled at it! I have to practice that bun. Not sure if my hair is long enough.

Groovy Granny
January 15th, 2016, 03:37 PM

That is very pretty ~ what a great Idea!
I must remember to try it the next time I do that one :hmm:

lillielil
January 15th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Thank you both! I am mighty pleased with it :)

What helped was to wrap it fairly tight to begin with, especially the ends! I did the last pass around so tight that it wound up under the base of the bun. That way when I pulled at it, the whole thing didn't just uncoil.

The finished bun consisted of two layers - the outer layer that you see, then a very small, dense inner layer trapping the ends in place. In-between there was a whole lot of air!

So far I think pha bun is best for this, although I had some good success with a rope-braided LWB the other day - I effectively pulled out 1/2 of the rope, while the other 1/2 was left in place to anchor the bun.

Groovy Granny
January 15th, 2016, 04:03 PM
My pha buns can be on the snug size, though I do manage to loosen them a bit....but this fullness would be cool if I can 'pull' it off :wink:

Laur
January 15th, 2016, 05:13 PM
Ooh, count me in to the puny bun club. I'm one of the stealth longhairs - people are always stunned how long my hair is when I take it down. I guess it just is very compact when I put it up - and it's super soft and slippery, so I have to really get a solid updo, or it'll just fall out! I'll have to try loosening buns once I have them up - I wear pha buns all the time (it's one of the few styles that will reliably hold in my hair), so I'll start with that one :D

Brunettebybirth
January 16th, 2016, 05:44 AM
I recently wore my hair in a bun because it's actually long enough now, and my SO (who almost never notices how I wear my hair), commented that he loved how it looked. I'm somewhat self-conscious of my hair because it's not thick so I always shied away from buns thinking they wouldn't look good on me. Oh, and he was pretty surprised at just how long my hair had actually gotten when I took the bun out later that day too. :grin:

Arctic
January 16th, 2016, 05:46 AM
I do the tugging to most of my buns too, I love that method!

Arctic
January 16th, 2016, 05:49 AM
I recently wore my hair in a bun because it's actually long enough now, and my SO (who almost never notices how I wear my hair), commented that he loved how it looked. I'm somewhat self-conscious of my hair because it's not thick so I always shied away from buns thinking they wouldn't look good on me. Oh, and he was pretty surprised at just how long my hair had actually gotten when I took the bun out later that day too. :grin:

Well, you know, most people never even look at your bun, but they do look at your lovely face, which is nicely visible when you have your hair up :) And also, even if people would look at your bun, most people wouldn't even consider the size of it. I bet you and your hair looked lovely!

roseomalley
January 16th, 2016, 08:06 AM
What a nice thing to hear from your SO. I am very happy for you! You will be able to do so many different buns as it grows.

Astraea
January 16th, 2016, 09:23 AM
Eons ago when I hid my paltry buns beneath a mass of black velvet scrunchies (judge not, lest ye be judged), I had the whole charade unravel on an unfortunate roller coaster ride at Six Flags. Midair, upside down, me and everyone else sees the frankenbun fall off! I was mortified that the jig was up! And my friends thinking it was a wallet or something, sent security to look for the dang on thing - mind you, I had my hand covering my real itty bitty bun the since the ride. With security looking stupefied as to what a scrunchie was (seriously? in New Jersey?:rolleyes:) I had to fess up, Lol! I spent the rest of the day feeling naked and constantly touching the back of my head!

Groovy Granny
January 16th, 2016, 11:03 AM

That's great; it is such a boost when someone notices :thumbsup:
I am sure it looked lovely!

Eons ago when I hid my paltry buns beneath a mass of black velvet scrunchies (judge not, lest ye be judged), I had the whole charade unravel on an unfortunate roller coaster ride at Six Flags. Midair, upside down, me and everyone else sees the frankenbun fall off! I was mortified that the jig was up! And my friends thinking it was a wallet or something, sent security to look for the dang on thing - mind you, I had my hand covering my real itty bitty bun the since the ride. With security looking stupefied as to what a scrunchie was (seriously? in New Jersey?:rolleyes:) I had to fess up, Lol! I spent the rest of the day feeling naked and constantly touching the back of my head!

LOL no judgements...I still use scrunchies! :D

The velvets are so pretty, but my hair is usually down in cold weather, so I never bought any.

yahirwaO.o
January 16th, 2016, 10:21 PM
I do the tugging to most of my buns too, I love that method!

Oh yes, especially for higher updos, otherwise mine looks like a little peanut!!!! LOL

swords & roses
January 17th, 2016, 08:45 PM
Great updo, lillielil! I might give that a try!

I was starting to think maybe my bun isn't so puny after all: I typically wear a LWB when I put it up, and that ends up being about what most would consider an average size, I think. But the other day, I had it french braided (to protect as best I could under a ski mask & helmet), and just wound it into a bun when I came in from snowboarding, so I could shower really quickly (and the hair didn't need washing). Braided cinnamon bun = PUNY!!! I almost forgot how much my hair can compact down! Yep, I definitely still belong here!

So things I learned from this:
1. A LWB is a great way for me to look like I have a bigger bun.
2. If needing a waterproof updo but finding myself without a hair stick (I forgot to pack one, and only had a single hair tie with me, which only fits my ponytail), a crochet hook works quite well! :lol:

beefox
February 17th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Hi everyone! I totally belong here. My hair is still to short for a lazy wrap bun(or maybe I'm just bad at it). I can sort of do a nautilus bun but right now it's pretty much fluffed up cinnabuns. If I dont fluff them, they look like little ping-bong balls! maybe once I get to bsl I'll have some more options.

anodyne_ame
February 17th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Yep, I'm a member too. Especially buns that require twisting compact down my hair a lot. Bee's butt bun is ridiculously tiny on me :D

poompatta
February 23rd, 2016, 12:25 PM
This thread is definitely for me, but I do not even know how to put my hair into a decent looking bun.All I currently need are those tiny claw clips to hold my my hair and I won't call it a bun. My hair is super thin, around 2" pony but length till waist.
I am only in page 4 and am excited to see what wonderful tips may be in store. I dream of a good looking bun. The forks sounds interesting, especially if the give the illusion of bigger bun. Gonna keep reading.

poompatta
February 23rd, 2016, 12:27 PM
Yay, can I come & play?

This! babythrenody in babybun, one of my most comfortable forks, I'm gonna cry if/when I grow out of it (and probably ask them to make me another)
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb359/wheels_two/20140627a_zpsfb348b44.jpg

I also have a very dainty and light purpleheart GTS that is actually too small for me now.
Lovely bun two_wheels. How I wish!

CRX<3
March 20th, 2016, 09:29 AM

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk166/_lawsonia_/8cb8b621-3101-4c14-9951-3cbf3c4043db_zpsqxizh81n.jpg (http://s280.photobucket.com/user/_lawsonia_/media/8cb8b621-3101-4c14-9951-3cbf3c4043db_zpsqxizh81n.jpg.html)

This is the beautiful fork I received in the mail from Nellon!
I really like the colors and the thin prongs that makes my explosion bun™ a little less explosive. ;)
Thank you so much!!

Groovy Granny
March 20th, 2016, 10:20 AM
Welcome to all the newbies :)

Here is a list of ideas to try The (tentative) Bun and Braid Reference Thread! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112682)

Googling them....and searching here and on youtube will give you lots of tutorials/videos.

Practice makes perfect, and you will come to find your own modifications.
Try it month to month if it doesn't work; it is amazing how suddenly it will.
Some styles you may just never catch on to...and that is fine; we all have our 'go to' styles....just have fun with it!

Happy growing and styling :cheer:

Hailwidis
March 20th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Ooh, I totally belong here! I don't really like putting my hair up in a bun because it always ends up being so small... and because of my lack of technique and the fact that I use hair bands, so my buns always flop and slowly start dangling and unravelling after a few hours.

Hair forks and sticks are a totally new concept for me, I'll have to look into them. Do they help achieve a bigger looking bun, or are they just really great because they are less damaging to hair?

Groovy Granny
March 20th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Ooh, I totally belong here! I don't really like putting my hair up in a bun because it always ends up being so small... and because of my lack of technique and the fact that I use hair bands, so my buns always flop and slowly start dangling and unravelling after a few hours.

Hair forks and sticks are a totally new concept for me, I'll have to look into them. Do they help achieve a bigger looking bun, or are they just really great because they are less damaging to hair?

Hi ~ welcome :)

Spin pins (http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=goody+simple+styles+spin+pins&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=55166350483&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=s&hvrand=12310528999828774769&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_661u8z9kem_e) help keep a bun secure; they sell minis for fine hair.

You can also use donuts (http://www.amazon.com/Bombshell-Pieces-Chignon-Donut-Medium/dp/B00BWIT33Y/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1458497698&sr=8-3&keywords=hair+donuts) for fuller buns.

The forks and sticks themselves are for decoration and securing a bun....they don't really add to the fullness.
Depending on your hair type and the kind of bun you make, will determine what you use in your hair; it all comes with experimentation and practice.....and eventually personal preference.

The MANE forum will have lots of threads for your hair type and length, as well as different styles to try.

Then the HAIR ACCESSORY forum will give you background into the different types of hair toys and their uses.

Ask plenty of questions ~ the girls here are so inspirational, informative and supportive!

Enjoy the forum...and your journey :cheer:

rags
March 20th, 2016, 01:11 PM
Actually, I will disagree with GG on one point - multi prong forks can allow you to wrap hair looser (for those of us with slippery hair) and/or also allow you to "arrange" the hair to look like you have more of it. I like to use them in LWB's for this purpose.

Sticks - actually you usually have to make a bun tighter to use a stick (or at least I do!), because they will slip out easily.

Both forks and sticks, however (along with flexis and Ficcares), are less damaging than elastics.

Hailwidis
March 20th, 2016, 02:40 PM
Gosh, I must have been living under a rock or something - I had never heard of spin pins! Thanks for the tips GG :) I'm slowly reading my way through the mane forum. It seems we have similar hair type judging from the info under your avatar. What's your favorite bun?

@rags: how about those larger claw clips, are they damaging or not? I have a few lying around so the easiest fix right now would be to switch from elastics to those, at least until I figure out what to do next.

Groovy Granny
March 20th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Actually, I will disagree with GG on one point - multi prong forks can allow you to wrap hair looser (for those of us with slippery hair) and/or also allow you to "arrange" the hair to look like you have more of it. I like to use them in LWB's for this purpose.

Sticks - actually you usually have to make a bun tighter to use a stick (or at least I do!), because they will slip out easily.

Both forks and sticks, however (along with flexis and Ficcares), are less damaging than elastics.

I am glad you did disagree Rags...I never thought to do that :doh:
Many times unless I wrap mine securely...if I start tugging for volume it all falls apart on me LOL

I will have to remember that tip.....thanks :thumbsup:

Gosh, I must have been living under a rock or something - I had never heard of spin pins! Thanks for the tips GG :) I'm slowly reading my way through the mane forum. It seems we have similar hair type judging from the info under your avatar. What's your favorite bun?

@rags: how about those larger claw clips, are they damaging or not? I have a few lying around so the easiest fix right now would be to switch from elastics to those, at least until I figure out what to do next.

These days my go to bun is a Lazy Wrap Bun; I use my sticks and forks.

Pha buns tend to get tight on me and the others....I don't have enough length with my short torso/limited length.

Cinnamon buns slip and slide on me unless I use a braid, or secure with an alligator clip or mini claws, so I do those for special occasions with fancier clips.

I have others on that bun list that I keep practicing; it will come :cheer:

I still use and love my claw clips....from minis .....to large octopus or decorator claws; they are a staple hair toy here lol

I have never had damage; they are from different makers too.

rags
March 20th, 2016, 04:15 PM
For the claw clips - just check for rough seams. As long as they don't have those (or if they do, you can file them down), they should be fine for most people.

GG - I only know it because its a trick I use all the time with my F/i hair! You have a lot more hair - you don't have to worry about it!

Groovy Granny
March 20th, 2016, 04:28 PM
For the claw clips - just check for rough seams. As long as they don't have those (or if they do, you can file them down), they should be fine for most people.

GG - I only know it because its a trick I use all the time with my F/i hair! You have a lot more hair - you don't have to worry about it!

Mine compacts easily, and is slips right out with any lee-way :wink:
The more my silver invades (@75% now) the more it compacts.
I'm good :thumbsup:

Nellon
March 20th, 2016, 05:42 PM
This is the beautiful fork I received in the mail from Nellon!
I really like the colors and the thin prongs that makes my explosion bun™ a little less explosive. ;)
Thank you so much!!

Oh wow, that looks so nice! Good job getting that fork to a good home. Your hair is beautiful!! :D

Persiangirl01
March 24th, 2016, 09:59 AM
I definitely belong to this thread. My bun is so small, no matter how long my hair gets!

Groovy Granny
March 24th, 2016, 11:53 AM
I've been really enjoying donut buns these days; they really increase bun fullness :)

teal
March 24th, 2016, 12:23 PM
I've been doing braided buns the last few days, but I've altered my coiling method for a flatter (thus, wider) bun. It makes my one LI look spectacular! :lol: (Sooo... anyone have any LIs that need new homes?? :lol:)

Groovy Granny
March 24th, 2016, 02:04 PM
I've been doing braided buns the last few days, but I've altered my coiling method for a flatter (thus, wider) bun. It makes my one LI look spectacular! :lol: (Sooo... anyone have any LIs that need new homes?? :lol:)

You have a puny bun with THIGH length hair? :hmm:
It looks pretty amazing in your avatar!

ravenheather
March 25th, 2016, 05:31 AM
I think puny must be subjective. Lol.

Groovy Granny
March 25th, 2016, 10:40 AM
I think puny must be subjective. Lol.

I am beginning to think so :lol:

When you have a short torso like me, with hip length fine silver hair....you get a PUNY bun because it compacts easily....and you don't have the average length for that landmark.

Compared to normal lengths and thicker hair :shrug:

So yeah......I agree!

teal
March 25th, 2016, 03:30 PM
You have a puny bun with THIGH length hair? :hmm:
It looks pretty amazing in your avatar!

Hee hee, thanks! :flower:

That picture is a close-up, and favourably cropped. I can fit that bun under my hand too. I feel the need to state that I don't have abnormally large hands, either. :lol:

Cg
March 25th, 2016, 03:51 PM
OK, my buns are puny too, but I don't spend much time looking at or thinking about them.

I focus on having healthy hair in those puny buns, and on enjoying pretty hair ornaments.

Groovy Granny
March 25th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Hee hee, thanks! :flower:

That picture is a close-up, and favourably cropped. I can fit that bun under my hand too. I feel the need to state that I don't have abnormally large hands, either. :lol:

ROFLOL I can relate to that!

I don't doubt you...was just teasing :flower:

That was a perfect bun btw....wish my braids looked like that; you have more length than I do :wink:

OK, my buns are puny too, but I don't spend much time looking at or thinking about them.

I focus on having healthy hair in those puny buns, and on enjoying pretty hair ornaments.

That's a great attitude ~ I feel the same:thumbsup:
Do the best with what you have been blessed with....and have FUN!

teal
March 25th, 2016, 05:52 PM
ROFLOL I can relate to that!

I don't doubt you...was just teasing :flower:

That was a perfect bun btw....wish my braids looked like that; you have more length than I do :wink:

I thought so! ;)

I also thought it was a perfect bun (I could hardly believe my luck!) and so I went in search of the camera. :D

Groovy Granny
March 25th, 2016, 08:41 PM
I thought so! ;)

I also thought it was a perfect bun (I could hardly believe my luck!) and so I went in search of the camera. :D

Perfect it is :thumbsup:

Groovy Granny
April 19th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Now that I am close to hip again...all one length with a thicker hemline..... I am noticing a big difference :thumbsup:

One being that I can do more buns now....and they are not as puny :happydance:

So...... I wish you all 'thicker/bigger buns'....and thank you for your support :flowers:

Hang in there ~ your day will come :cheer:

teal
April 19th, 2016, 03:13 PM
I started flattening the heck out of my buns so they look large. It takes a bit of finagling to get it to stay together and not flop around. They are basically braid pancakes... any thinner and they'd be crepes! :lol:

AspenSong
April 19th, 2016, 03:25 PM
I started flattening the heck out of my buns so they look large. It takes a bit of finagling to get it to stay together and not flop around. They are basically braid pancakes... any thinner and they'd be crepes! :lol:

Hey! That's what I do!!! That's why my cinnabuns look "huge" to other people. lol. I keep my hand on it to keep it flat and wrap it a bit loose, but so that it'll stay. Totally fake it....lol.

Cg
April 19th, 2016, 04:20 PM
Now that I am close to hip again...all one length with a thicker hemline..... I am noticing a big difference :thumbsup:

One being that I can do more buns now....and they are not as puny :happydance:

So...... I wish you all 'thicker/bigger buns'....and thank you for your support :flowers:

Hang in there ~ your day will come :cheer:

Thanks for the good wishes, GG, and you're right, length makes a huge difference. My once-microscopic buns have now become merely puny. So maybe by classic...?

Groovy Granny
April 19th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the good wishes, GG, and you're right, length makes a huge difference. My once-microscopic buns have now become merely puny. So maybe by classic...?
LOL could be :thumbsup:

I'm seeing a big difference now that all my layers are gone and I am regaining my length from the snip.

Suddenly forks are holding cinnamon buns and new buns are do-able.

My buns aren't huge...but they aren't puny and compacting now.

Plus I have had new growth traveling down my length, so that adds volume.

You'll see a difference before classic most likely!

ETA: MY pony circumference has increased to almost 3" ~ so I wasn't delusional....puny buns no more:joy:

HairPlease
April 20th, 2016, 04:36 PM
The only bun I can do that looks like a bun is one of those "figure 8 fake out" buns (put hair in ponytail except for the last pull, stop and make a ponyblob, insert pencil in creative way to give illusion of figure eight). Anything else (cinnabun, whatever) looks like a pimple growing out of the back of my head. That's why I rarely bun. I'm going to take the time to read through this thread and figure out how to work with this. LOL!

lillielil
April 21st, 2016, 08:18 AM
The only bun I can do that looks like a bun is one of those "figure 8 fake out" buns (put hair in ponytail except for the last pull, stop and make a ponyblob, insert pencil in creative way to give illusion of figure eight). Anything else (cinnabun, whatever) looks like a pimple growing out of the back of my head. That's why I rarely bun. I'm going to take the time to read through this thread and figure out how to work with this. LOL!

I read that as "pineapple growing out of the back of my head" and really wanted to see a pineapple bun.

Cg
April 21st, 2016, 11:19 AM

Pimple! How hilarious!!!!! And I can totally relate. Until I reached MBL, I hid my pimply buns in blobby/fluffy snoods to try to disguise their lack of volume.

cailinbee
April 26th, 2016, 03:44 PM
This thread makes me feel so much less alone! And gives me hope! I have the teeniest-tiniest buns you ever did see. I have small hands and I can hold my hair in my fist. I'm hoping with more length they'll get better and better, but even when I've been mid-back length in the past, they're so itty-bitty! Granted, I've damaged the heck out of my hair, so maybe if I can get even volume farther down my back, they'll improve. There is hope, I hope.

hopefullocks
April 28th, 2016, 10:41 AM
With my fine, wavy curly hair I've decided to microtrim and maintain until I reach a length more tolerable than my current SL abyss.

That said, my bun is puny. It's more of a knot on back of my noggin, but when I stretch washes for a few days it is more voluminous as it's easier to work with. Spin Pins have been my hair's personal Jesus during this trying time in my hair journey.

I'm really here to lurk your pretty buns and to maintain good faith that someday soon I'll be able to make more than my sad little wad.

lithostoic
May 4th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Here's my puny twisted bun. I swear I used to have almost twice as much hair :c

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/13178787_1312931452056937_6080599134888897374_n.jp g?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=f94c705b8bf6ab701215b1b10301ad33&oe=57A88C3C

Lisa Long4Life
December 6th, 2017, 01:59 PM
My buns are still puny, I thought that once I got to waist they'd look a bit more substantial.

Arctic
December 6th, 2017, 02:11 PM
Puny buns make it easier to travel in busses and trains, and sit in an office chair. :) I'm sure my physiotherapist agrees! They also make it easier to fit the bun under a winter hat!

Lisa Long4Life
December 6th, 2017, 02:13 PM
This is true!:) Every cloud has a silver lining.

Beeboo123
December 6th, 2017, 02:34 PM
My nautilus is tiny. =[ I hate it when pekple comment on how small it is. I have an average amount of hair, but a lot of breakage. I just hope the thickness will travel down if I baby my hair more

Arctic
December 6th, 2017, 03:26 PM
My nautilus is tiny. =[ I hate it when pekple comment on how small it is. I have an average amount of hair, but a lot of breakage. I just hope the thickness will travel down if I baby my hair more

I do hope your breakage will grow out too, but other than that, this sounds like a people problem, not a hair problem to me.

leayellena
December 7th, 2017, 01:09 AM
Puny buns make it easier to travel in busses and trains, and sit in an office chair. :) I'm sure my physiotherapist agrees! They also make it easier to fit the bun under a winter hat!
Spin pins rock! Love them!

With my fine, wavy curly hair I've decided to microtrim and maintain until I reach a length more tolerable than my current SL abyss.

That said, my bun is puny. It's more of a knot on back of my noggin, but when I stretch washes for a few days it is more voluminous as it's easier to work with. Spin Pins have been my hair's personal Jesus during this trying time in my hair journey.

I'm really here to lurk your pretty buns and to maintain good faith that someday soon I'll be able to make more than my sad little wad.

This thread makes me feel so much less alone! And gives me hope! I have the teeniest-tiniest buns you ever did see. I have small hands and I can hold my hair in my fist. I'm hoping with more length they'll get better and better, but even when I've been mid-back length in the past, they're so itty-bitty! Granted, I've damaged the heck out of my hair, so maybe if I can get even volume farther down my back, they'll improve. There is hope, I hope.

My bun looked puny until I reached hip-length and most of my layers have grow out. Plus, tlc-ing my hair more gave chances to shorter strands to grow to ponytail level thus adding few more strands to work with.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 7th, 2017, 04:40 AM

I get that too, comments about how small my buns are. But my hair seems to be highly compressible. It is what it is, I guess.

Dendra
December 7th, 2017, 02:59 PM

Love this! I'm glad I won't ever have to worry about headaches/neck aches, and also I wear my bun under a hat every day so that's important too :)

divinedobbie
December 7th, 2017, 03:01 PM

I just had a coworker say to me "wow I can't get over how small your ponytail is". Ugh definitely a people problem but it doesn't help

rags
December 10th, 2017, 08:57 PM
I just had a coworker say to me "wow I can't get over how small your ponytail is". Ugh definitely a people problem but it doesn't help
My MIL (who had masses of coarse, curly hair) used to make comments like this to me all of the time. My hair wasn't nearly as thin then as it is now, either! I have decided it is definitely a people problem and wear my hair how I like (double braids the size of a pencil on an older woman, anyone?? LOL). I just decided it's THEIR problem to deal with and not mine!

Groovy Granny
December 10th, 2017, 09:07 PM
My MIL (who had masses of coarse, curly hair) used to make comments like this to me all of the time. My hair wasn't nearly as thin then as it is now, either! I have decided it is definitely a people problem and wear my hair how I like (double braids the size of a pencil on an older woman, anyone?? LOL). I just decided it's THEIR problem to deal with and not mine!

:agree: It IS :lala:

You rock your braids.....and remember that you've got company :hifive:

Cg
December 11th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Lots of company, and I'm plenty happy with the pencil width braids on this old lady. Sure beats no hair.

ravenheather
December 13th, 2017, 05:28 AM
I love the support here. I definitely struggle with being self conscious about my braid size. Maybe today I will rock my skinny dutch braid at work.

Groovy Granny
December 13th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Lots of company, and I'm plenty happy with the pencil width braids on this old lady. Sure beats no hair.
definitely :agree:

I love the support here. I definitely struggle with being self conscious about my braid size. Maybe today I will rock my skinny dutch braid at work. I know I do as well :o but the support here is awesome :thumbsup:

We can be strong together :grouphug:

MusicalSpoons
February 25th, 2019, 03:45 PM
I can't remember if I've posted here yet but I do love the description for buns that are small relative to the length of the hair. This was from when my hair was ~3 inches away from knee: https://flic.kr/p/2b22Mj9

priinnz
February 25th, 2019, 04:02 PM
i should join this thread. My buns are small and flat as my hair is quite compressible. So much so that sometimes when I take pics (and my hair is dark brown-black), no one can make out that bun is even present.

Zesty
February 25th, 2019, 05:55 PM
I think my hair is similar to MusicalSpoons. Even now at classic my buns aren't very big. My hair is very sleek and compresses a ton. I could never manage the fluffy messy bun look that's so in vogue. On the plus side, it doesn't get very tangled. :shrug: I try not to be self conscious.

Katsura
February 25th, 2019, 07:46 PM
Hey, a club for me! :D My buns are quite puny. I wear a lot of clawclip fastened buns, because that way I can flatten the heck out of them. ;)
I've been hoping that ditching all dyes would yield me some more hair, but at the same time I'm not getting any younger. :p

lithostoic
February 25th, 2019, 08:00 PM
My lwb can be entirely contained in a large claw clip.

MusicalSpoons
February 26th, 2019, 04:57 AM
I think my hair is similar to MusicalSpoons. Even now at classic my buns aren't very big. My hair is very sleek and compresses a ton. I could never manage the fluffy messy bun look that's so in vogue. On the plus side, it doesn't get very tangled. :shrug: I try not to be self conscious.

Ooh, similar enough to be a hair twin? :grin:

Zesty
February 26th, 2019, 07:19 AM
Ooh, similar enough to be a hair twin? :grin:

Whenever you talk about how your hair behaves it sounds very familiar, and our hair types are quite similar, so... :waltz:

MusicalSpoons
February 26th, 2019, 08:11 AM
Whenever you talk about how your hair behaves it sounds very familiar, and our hair types are quite similar, so... :waltz:

Yay :joy: :grin: :waltz: your latest pic did remind me of my own, just a different colour :)

Zesty
February 26th, 2019, 08:14 AM
Yay :joy: :grin: :waltz: your latest pic did remind me of my own, just a different colour :)

I'm not sure I remember seeing a picture of your hair loose. :hmm: But I love having hair twins! :joy:

Cg
February 26th, 2019, 08:24 AM
I was recently asked how I could possibly get all my [FTL] hair into "those tiny buns." Thank you, it's easy. I make a bun and voilà.

UP Lisa
February 26th, 2019, 08:32 AM
Hi. I should have joined this club a long time ago!

sophia_
February 26th, 2019, 07:59 PM
I have a 4" circumference and I'm at classic but my hair compacts down so densly, if my buns have any air at all in them they fall down immediately, and I think my taper is enough to significantly reduce my bun size, lol. I'm not that small anymore but the size is still disproportionate to the length :cool: