PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff and Other Hair Troubles

melomane
August 3rd, 2014, 10:02 AM
So I'm not sure why but I've been plagued with tangles, easier breakage, and dandruff. Since I joined LHC in March I've had next to no tangles, strong hair, and the dandruff I used to battle with Head & Shoulder's shampoo seemed to be at bay. Out of nowhere it's all back! Have any of you ever experienced anything like this? I hand comb my hair, have hard water, S&D once every week or so, always wear my hair up, braid it before bed and sleep on a silk pillowcase, dilute my shampoo (http://biolage.matrix.com/exquisiteoil/exquisiteoil-micro-oil-shampoo) that I use every 4-5 days, and rub coconut oil around my hemline weekly. Recently I began using a Keratin conditioner, but I change conditioner often. I'm not sure how to prevent the tangles or breakage anymore, but my most prominent issue is dandruff. My scalp is not dry, if anything maybe a bit oily. So as far as dandruff goes, what works and what doesn't in your experience? (Side Note: I scrub/massage my scalp really well in the shower to loosen the flakes, but they don't rinse out) Any advice is appreciated(:

Firefox7275
August 3rd, 2014, 10:29 AM
What is the medical diagnosis for your scalp condition? Are you using any oils or butters rich in oleic, palmitic or stearic acid (doubt there is much in that shampoo)? When was the last time you chelated? Have your diet or stress levels altered in recent times? Are you stretching washes?

melomane
August 3rd, 2014, 10:36 AM
I've never had a diagnosis for my scalp, I only use coconut oil, I haven't chelated, I've recently been reducing my dairy intake but I watch my diet and nutrients fairly well, I was stretching washes for a while but my hair wash beginning to look pretty gross so I stopped at 4-5 day intervals in May to allow my hair to adjust.

Firefox7275
August 3rd, 2014, 10:44 AM
I've never had a diagnosis for my scalp, I only use coconut oil, I haven't chelated, I've recently been reducing my dairy intake but I watch my diet and nutrients fairly well, I was stretching washes for a while but my hair wash beginning to look pretty gross so I stopped at 4-5 day intervals in May to allow my hair to adjust.

You really need a formal diagnosis, any family doctor can do that for all the common conditions you don't necessarily need to see a dermatologist. Appropriate treatment depends entirely on the diagnosis, what improves one condition can easily worsen another. IF you have the most common cause of flaking and itching - seborrhoeic dermatitis - stretching washes would not be recommended. That is because components of sebum can feed the malassezia yeast and/ or directly irritate the scalp. Several forms of dermatitis can be worsened by sulphate surfactants, cocoamidopropyl betaine cleanses effectively yet gently.

An anti inflammatory diet (lots of oily fish, low sugar fruit and veggies etc.) is potentially beneficial for many of the common skin complaints since most have an inflammatory component. If you are reducing dairy products ensure you are increasing other calcium rich foods substantially, tho bear in mind many nuts and seeds are rich in omega-6s which 'oppose' omega-3s.

HTH.