PDA

View Full Version : Calling all lion manes! The type iii thread.

Hibernis
August 3rd, 2014, 08:58 AM
Who else out there has super thick hair? I'm curious how everyone manages thick and long hair.

How do you BBB your hair? Do you even bother? Do you do it by section? How often?

How do you know when your hair is finally rinsed?

What do you use to detangle, comb, or brush your hair?

What kind of styles have worked for you at different lengths?

How do you deal with triangle head? Layers? Fairy tale ends? Thinning out the bottom?

Bangs: if you have them, how do you manage them? Do they help ease the bulk of your hair or are they complicated?

GetMeToWaist
August 3rd, 2014, 09:06 AM
Me!!! I actually hate having thick hair, its so hard to handle. I do use a BBB as it really detangles and smooths my hair and straightens it slightly. I do it once or twice a day by sections.

I spend like 10 minutes rinsing everything out, and really scrub in there to get all the product. I use a wide tooth comb in the shower but only finger comb when my hair is air drying.

At the moment I'm at BSL and usually do cinnabuns, LWBS, french braids, dutch braids, braided buns, ponytails or braided halfbacks. But usually I just do buns or leave my hair down, its easier as its so heavy.

I do a U shape hem and layers at the front, and I don't have bangs, just do a side part and it seems to work.

Hele
August 3rd, 2014, 09:19 AM
i had to click on here just to find out what a "mop head" is! :D

well i guess i qualify for this thread, so i'll answer! Personally i avoid BBBs and any other brushes like the plague, they make my hair grow outward even more than it normally does on it's own. I only use a comb, a lignum vitae one when dry and a cheap-o plastic one when wet (my hair is rather indestructible). To rinse my hair i go section by section, and i wash by putting a dollop of shampoo in a squeeze bottle, adding water, and applying to the roots (it's the only way i can get to the roots. Most of my shower time is spent just trying to get my hair wet). The only style that really works for me is long...anything above waist length tends to go outward instead of downward because of the thickness. I don't do layers because the shorter layers stick out while the longer ones stay down. (Ha, pretty much the theme here is that i have really big hair and i grow it long to weigh it down.) It's also why i don't do bangs, every so often i try them and instantly remember what a mess it is trying to get them not to stick out everywhere. Style wise i was only able to start doing successful buns when i hit hip length, it took me to almost classic to do a cinnabun.

MINAKO
August 3rd, 2014, 10:26 AM
Who else out there has super thick hair? I'm curious how everyone manages thick and long hair.

How do you BBB your hair? Do you even bother? Do you do it by section? How often?

How do you deal with triangle head? Layers? Fairy tale ends? Thinning out the bottom?

Bangs: if you have them, how do you manage them? Do they help ease the bulk of your hair or are they complicated?

I'm just below 5" in circumference. I only ever BBB my hair when i straightened it, just split in half and give both sides a few gentle strokes.
I just rinse with wather and then pour the rinse from my bottle over my head. My hair usually doesn't get oily anyways.
Using aHercules Saegeman Ebonit Comb to detangletowel dry hair.
Favorite style of all times is the cinnabun, although it only started to look decent lately since my hair wasn't long enough before.
Trying to fairytale my hemline these days to deal with the volume.
I had bangs at one point and would never doit again, i hated to have no choiche but to style them, they just looked terrible on their own.

One thing i recently noticed is that i always thoughtto have medium hair with an equal percentage of coarse and fine strands, like 15-20% each. Anyways, it looks like my coarse hairs are becoming less and less, also the medium ones, while the fine is shooting up. Feels like my hair is keeping the circumference but looks bigger and fluffier as it is down, but also softer, if this continues i have to update my stats to F/M instead of ovrall M

leilani
August 3rd, 2014, 11:39 AM
Wow hearing all this makes me glad to be a petite iii (over 4" ponytail circumference now, even after massive postpartum shed-not sure what it will be when these regrowth tufts grow back into my ponytail, and I never measured before but doubt it was ever over 5").
Layers help to keep my waist length hair a totally manageable mass to deal with, but also texture/genes. Fine would mean there would be a ton of strands to possibly tangle and coarse with its challenges, curls and waves unpredictable. My hair is straight, medium, and not tangly even if it's always down. Easy. Boring, but easy.

Seeshami
August 3rd, 2014, 11:43 AM

NO. I would rather shave my head then use a bbb.

I spread my hair out over my back and sides and slowly walk away from my shower head, then I slough the water in my hair out and do it again.

Hahaha haha detangle....that's cute. I brush with a body shop paddle brush and I don't have the time or sanity to comb my hair unless absolutely no other option is available. Like the fork at work.

Cinnabun, braids. I couldn't do many of the wrap buns till waist. I still can't keep an infinity bun in.

I have a u and sometimes v hemline. At classic and since BSL, I really don't think "triangle head" is a problem. Before that my hair was almost always braided and or up.

Long face framing layers. I like mini flexis to clip out of the way, to the sides to the back or side swept. High buns can eat them. I also have a beautiful custom made metal work head band I have blogged about.

darklyndsea
August 3rd, 2014, 05:42 PM
My hair has a 5" circumference at the top, and 1"-1 1/2" at the bottom.

Some hair isn't made for BBBing, and mine is one of them. BBB brushing makes my hair even drier than it usually is, and tangles it even worse than it usually tangles. Presumably if my hair liked BBBing I would do it in sections, just like I have to do everything else.

I stand under the spray until there's no chance that it isn't all out. My hair's been better about rinsing everything out lately, so I must be doing something right.

Comb. It didn't work at all before, but I've been moisturizing it more aggressively and now a comb goes through it in only about 20 minutes, sometimes even less time!

Shoulder+ to waist: low ponytail, braid.
Waist: painful cinnabun. Amish braids have worked on me since I first tried them, which I think was about waist length. One Ficcare doesn't work, but two do.
Hip: comfortable cinnabun, painful LWB.
Classic and longer: everything I've tried, except anything based on a high ponytail. Stick buns are still painful because the entire weight of the bun is concentrated on a relatively small spot.

Length. And I'm slowly getting fairytale ends due to not cutting, but mostly it's length.

I'm pretty much growing my hair out because I hate going to hairdressers, and bangs require going all the time...so no, no bangs.

lapushka
August 3rd, 2014, 06:34 PM
I'm just over 4 inches, so not super thick, but yes thick enough to have "issues" with it. :lol:

I don't use my BBB anymore, not since letting the waves out. A BBB would destroy my wavy texture, so it's not combed or brushed the entire week. It just gets combed/brushed before a wash, and combed out post-wash on damp hair. For the rest it's just left alone. Best routine *ever*. :D For a brush I have a Tangle Teezer. Best brush out there, IMO.

For washing, it is done in sections. The back of the head, the top of the head and the two sides each get a glob of shampoo and it is massaged in sections, rinsed out in sections. That makes it more manageable.

I can just about do a LWB at this length (and wrap around twice and a tiny bit). A cinnamon bun is comfy for a while then falls out mostly as it's not coiled enough yet (can just wrap around once). A nautilus is way out of reach. I'm within an inch of TBL right now.

I have layers and they've been cut according to the compact cut method for layering (ponytail on top of the forehead for shorter layers). My longest layer is almost TBL, and my shortest layer is almost BSL. So no triangle head for me. Also no bangs for me ever again (hair is too greasy).

About the "mop" head. Kind of resent that word... sorry. :)

kganihanova
August 3rd, 2014, 07:24 PM

BBBs only before wash day. Otherwise they kill my waves.

I feel around.

shower: wide tooth cheap plastic comb, out of shower (wet hair): same cheap plastic comb dry hair: ball less paddle brush

I can kind of cinnabun? and claw clips. Two sticks work well for me.

I just deal with it. Not everyone gets to have it.

I quoted your post so I could answer the questions.

Hibernis
August 3rd, 2014, 08:12 PM
About the "mop" head. Kind of resent that word... sorry. :)

Removed it - don't know if the title change will update to the board though. I meant it affectionately but if it makes for unhappy then it can go :)

jupiterinleo
August 3rd, 2014, 09:11 PM
I'm on the thinner end of thick at around 4.25".

I use a comb to detangle, and BBB every night. I have one with the nylon bits in it, but eventually I want to get an pure boar MP with the extra stiff bristles.

As for styles, I recently cut back to waist and bunning is pretty annoying at this stage. When I was at tailbone I could JUST manage a Nautilus bun, and now at waist I can only do a comfortable cinnabun (I can't do these at longer lengths, not without spin pins) and a crappy lazy wrap, but nothing else.

I also can't have short hair. All it does is poof out and no amount of layering negates the triangle head syndrome. The only solution for me is to have a long length and no layers.

lapushka
August 4th, 2014, 04:32 AM
Removed it - don't know if the title change will update to the board though. I meant it affectionately but if it makes for unhappy then it can go :)

I think you have to ask the mods to change it. But if no one else has issues with the word, then for me it doesn't have to go. Don't go through all the trouble on my account. I was just stating I wasn't comfortable with it, is all. :)

florenonite
August 4th, 2014, 07:05 AM
My circumference is just over 4", give or take.

I've used a BBB in the past, and I could get it through my hair just fine, but it made it greasy so I haven't done it in years. My hair's fine, though, so it compresses more easily than some other folk with similar circumference.

Ugh. This is a big issue for me, because my shower has really awful pressure. I was at my in-laws' last weekend and was shocked at how quickly I could wash my hair :lol: I usually take the head off and hold it at different angles, lifting bits of hair, to try and get all my hair rinsed.

I use a Tangle Teezer. My hair doesn't tangle easily, so I can go days without detangling if I'm wearing my hair loose (I don't like the way it pulls at my scalp when I braid it when it's not 100% detangled), but when I do my hair pulls at my scalp easily and the TT's the only thing I've found that doesn't tug unpleasantly.

I'm in the mid-back abyss and the only bun I can do is a disc bun. Fortunately, I have a large repertoire of braids. My hair's getting heavy enough that diagonal French/Dutch braids and non-inbraided braids may or may not tug on any given day.

When I have a bit more time to devote to my hair I tend to do styles that require sectioning of some sort.

Length. I've had layers around shoulder/APL, but by BSL I don't need layers and, in fact, now at MBL my hair has less volume than I'd like. See aforementioned fineness and compression :P

I've had them in the past, and they had no real bearing on thickness, but they were a pain because I always forget my 1c around my face hair is closer to 2a/2b when it's that short :lol:

schnibbles
August 4th, 2014, 07:57 AM
I'm just under 5"

I never BBB. Tried it once and was not impressed at all.

I try to rinse in sections. I just do my best and hope it's good enough. :undecided

I mostly prefer combing to brushing. I have a wide tooth comb that I've had since I was a little kid that I reach for mostly. It's a seamless heavy plastic one, it was a gift with purchase from Clinique back in the '80's when my mom was into Clinique. Anyone happen to remember this comb? It's amazing. I also have a wooden wide tooth comb from The Body Shop that isn't bad.
I do really like my Tangle Teezer and I use it mostly right before I wash.

My hair compacts pretty well so once I hit waist, I found that I could accomplish a lot of buns actually. (They may not have looked very pretty though) I'm just grazing hip now and I'm finding bunning to get a lot easier and buns are looking more like they're supposed to. The orchid bun is my favorite and my go-to bun.
Simple ponytails have always been impossible, even when my hair was much shorter. They are just too heavy and they don't stay in. Not to mention that they hurt. Sometimes I wish I could just wear a damn ponytail like a normal person.

I had a bob years ago when my hair was much finer... it still looked pretty horrible. I cannot have short hair.
I generally hate layers. I stopped going to salons because all they want to do is thin my hair with layers and I'm done doing that.
I microtrim about every month. I do have some old heat styling damage that I am slowly getting rid of. I don't notice a lot of breakage from the damage though. My hair is getting courser and thicker as I'm getting older. I would say about 90% of my shed hairs have root balls on them.
Microtrimming is the bomb.

I cut bangs in for the first time ever in January of 2013. Realized pretty much immediately that I made a huge mistake. Bangs for me were a ton of work, and heat styling hell. Right now they are grown out to about collarbone. I rue the day I decided to get bangs. They did not help ease the bulk of hair at all. The bulk was still there, just shorter. They honestly felt like a toupee on my forehead. Gross.

meteor
August 4th, 2014, 08:03 AM
I think you have to ask the mods to change it. But if no one else has issues with the word, then for me it doesn't have to go. Don't go through all the trouble on my account. I was just stating I wasn't comfortable with it, is all. :)
If you want to change the name, I'd think we can be called mane-heads or lion-heads... not mop-heads. :D

I never brush, and I've noticed that all my breakage/split ends problems disappeared completely when I threw away my brushes.
I use a wide-tooth comb and I always do it by sections - at least 2 or 3.

It's hard... It takes a lot of time to even get all the hair completely saturated with water, then get shampoo all over the scalp and conditioner all over the hair... What helps me is diluting shampoo and sometimes conditioner - so it's watery and easier to apply. I also try to separate hair into sections when washing and flipping hair upside down a few times to get all my scalp: it makes a huge difference in how clean my hair feels afterwards, but unfortunately requires lots of wet manipulation and shedding in the shower.

Rinsing takes a very long time indeed. :) I use a lot of water... sorry, environment! but I don't wash my hair frequently (I do scalp washes in between), so I hope that compensates for all my crazy water usage a bit.

Only fingers and a wide-tooth wooden comb.

I'm in desperate search for new updos actually!

I can't even do a lazy wrap bun or a nautilus - it's impossible for me to wrap hair length unless it's all sectioned (e.g. braided) or otherwise contained. Since I want to avoid twisting (which does contain hair), I base things off braids.
So I can only do braided updos: mostly braided cinnabun, milkmaid braids, horseshoe braids, variation of coronet, variations of Ellingwoman or Amish braided buns. And all my braids have to be English, because French/Dutch will cause breakage/tangling for manipulating all that dense hair.
I started a thread on this topic and ended up creating a list of all braided updos that I could think of (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=124183&p=2756756&viewfull=1#post2756756) that don't require the kind of braiding (French/Dutch) that's often problematic for thick, dense hair.

Sectioning updos is problematic - lots of manipulation and tangling, but I think it's a good solution for keeping all that hair up comfortably.

For thick hair that's too short to put up, I think simple braids and half-ups are the way to go and are comfy on scalp.

Length. Triangle-head is the kind of problem that solves itself with length. When my hair was shoulder-length it was usually a circle-head! :lol: It slowly transformed into a triangle-head up until I hit waist or hip. My hair is also looking straighter and straighter the longer it gets.

I've had layers cut in a few times and "thinning" done at salons, and it only made things worse and more triangle-ish. It worked great right out of the salon, but never in the long run: I got lots of frizz from all layers moving in their own directions, just like most wavies and curlies have experienced. Thick and textured hair is better off clumped rather than broken up.

No. I like their look but not the hassle of maintaining them and growing them out. If I really want them in the future, I'll buy clip-in bangs. ;)
I think clip-in hair is going to be my go to solution for all my future experimentation itchies! :lol:

Hibernis
August 4th, 2014, 08:23 AM

I tried doing it weekly because I was (am?) attempting water only, but it seems to be damaging my hair when I use it to distribute oils.

I change the temerature, and wait until my whole head feels it. Then I change it again, and again. I use the temperature of the water to make sure I get everything out.

I have been using a Goody brush, with the metal tips, but I'm breaking up with it. I ordered the wooden comb from The Body Shop and will start using that. Otherwise I use my fingers. The BBB is good for smoothing the top of a hairdo but that's it.

I've honestly not done anything but braids and weird looking buns. I ordered two flexis so I'm hoping that will expand my options a bit. I'm relieved to see that every one else needs slightly longer hair for a given style. I have about APL hair and I can't even manage a braid unless I do two.

So far I've been throwing it back. Long layers at the end help, but only when it's long enough. Otherwise I look like I'm taking off for flight.

I love bangs, but I have a weird cowlick. I keep trying to grow them out, but every time I see photos without bangs, my face is not well framed. I'm hoping this changes as my hair reaches long lengths again, but bangs feel kind of necessary to me. I do like the idea of clip-in hair though.

LongCurlyTress
August 4th, 2014, 10:23 AM

Hi! My ponytail measures 4.5 inches around and it is quite an "adventure" to have such thick, curly 3b hair on my long hair journey. :)

Every night, before sleeping, I put coconut oil on my hair, from ear length down to tips, then I use my BBB and gently brush my hair from nape forward down to tips, while leaning forward, Dr. George Michael style. This does create a frizzy mess, but I know it is healthy for my scalp to do this. I then stand up, and gently brush my hair down again, especially on the crown area, and put my hair into a two strand twisted braid for sleeping with a hair tie gently at the top of the braid tassel. I braid over my left shoulder, since I like to mostly sleep on my back or my right side.

I check the rinsed water for no bubbles, but also like to leave a bit of conditioner in my hair.

I use a Tangle Teezer in the shower, when my hair is loaded up with conditioner, starting from the ends and working up in small sections. Use a Turbie twist, and then a two strand braid or a very wet bun with two claw clips for about a half hour. Then I use some John Freida Extra Strength Hair serum, which contains mineral oil, and use a really wide tooth brush, to detangle gently. Sometimes, if it's cold, I will use either a diffuser on my scalp to dry that section, and leave the ends to air dry, or else in the hot summer, I put my hair into a cinnabun, with two plastic claw clips and let it air dry this way. I do use the TT to brush out my hair every hour or so as it is drying but then I put it back into a cinnabun. This is my no heat way to straighten my hair. It sort of sets when it is pulled into a bun. Then I can put some coconut oil on it, just a little bit, after it dries to tame down the frizz. But, my hair is mostly in a bun of sorts these days due to the heat spell we are having this summer. I need to get my thick heavy, hot hair off of my neck!!

At apl-waist, I did a lot of half ups, with tendrils down from my hair temples, to soften the edge. Kind of like Elaine, from Seinfeld, only a much smaller poof. Now that I am inbetween waist and hip, and it is very hot here, I am only doing granny buns, my faithful cinnabun or my lwb with my new TT hairstick!!! I finally got one and I love it!!

Half up's with a bun, seem to solve the triangle head issue. Growing out layers, and wish I had never ever cut them in. Don't really like fairy tale ends/thinning bottom, and right now at 30 inches, I am hoping to reach tbl within the next year, and then I will chop two inches off to get rid of those last layers. I miss my thick hemline very much.

Bangs: if you have them, how do you manage them? Do they help ease the bulk of your hair or are they complicated? [/COLOR]

Bangs just got recut to mid nose length in June, and wow.. really regretting that one. Now they are at upper lip level and I am growing them out. Bad idea! never again. :(

PS Great thread idea, but I am a "Curly Girl" not a "mop head." Thanks! ;)

Hibernis
August 4th, 2014, 10:32 AM
I just requested that "mop heads" be changed to "lion manes" :)

I affectionately call my hair a mop, but I see how that would not translate and how others may not be happy about that.

meteor
August 4th, 2014, 10:38 AM

A huge thank you from one lion to another! ;)

Awesome thread! :D I love reading everyone's experiences and tips! :)

LongCurlyTress
August 4th, 2014, 10:39 AM

I affectionately call my hair a mop, but I see how that would not translate and how others may not be happy about that.

"Lion Manes" works for me! Thank you so much for doing this! :) We curly girls have to work really hard to deal with strangers touching our hair, ignorant comments, etc. It has taken me most of my 56 years to accept my hair type and cherish it instead of hating it. Hope you understand. Thanks for changing the title of your thread. &;) And... btw, this is a really great idea for a thread to find out new ideas to work with our hair! :)

Mountaingrrl
August 4th, 2014, 11:03 AM
As my hair has grown longer, the thickness has somehow gotten easier to manage. Funny how that works.

I'm a curly girl - no BBB for me.

I co-wash, and I'm not fussed if some conditioner is left behind.

I detangle with fingers and conditioner, only when wet.

I'm at tailbone now, and my go-to styles are braids, twists, buns made from multiple braids or twists. These help distribute the thickness and weight.

Trimmed straight across. Layers always seem to make matters worse.

Bangs were complicated when I had them.

Beborani
August 4th, 2014, 11:32 AM
I have a variation on the question of rinse out.

How do you get to your scalp at all? Fingers? And is that efficient?

I am an emerging mophead --had one as a kid and my baby picture looks like a mop :) and lost and gaining back. This has posed a new challenge as I had sparse hair most of adulthood where getting shampoo or comditioner (cowashing now) to the scalp was a piece of cake and I could feel it but now I am unsure. I recently bought a tangle teezer and used it once to massage my scalp and it feels better but I wondered how do those who dont use it manage. This used to be a challenge for my mother too when she used to wash my hair when I was young.

Hibernis
August 4th, 2014, 11:52 AM

I am an emerging mophead --had one as a kid and my baby picture looks like a mop :) and lost and gaining back. This has posed a new challenge as I had sparse hair most of adulthood where getting shampoo or comditioner (cowashing now) to the scalp was a piece of cake and I could feel it but now I am unsure. I recently bought a tangle teezer and used it once to massage my scalp and it feels better but I wondered how do those who dont use it manage. This used to be a challenge for my mother too when she used to wash my hair when I was young.

Section by section by slow and painful section. I usually go into the shower with my hair sectioned into quarters and bunned. I start with the bottom sections, then go to the top. When I rinse, I will lift my hair up like I'm doing a half up, except it's more like a "quarter up", rinse, "half up", rinse, "3/4 up", rinse, then full rinse with alternating temperature to make sure I got it all.

I am almost armpit length, and my hair is about ready to get sectioned into sixths when I go into the shower.

Seeshami
August 4th, 2014, 12:13 PM

Why is this the hardest answer to describe...

I use my fingers but I shove them into the middle of the back of my head from the nape of my neck..... Kinda like you run your fingers through your hair from bangs to crown only from nape to crown.. Like petting a naughty mess backwards.

The Naughty Mess says, "We hates shampoo.... it buuuuurns us!!"

chomsky
August 4th, 2014, 12:17 PM

Nope, nope, nope. Too much frizz, haha.

I watch out for suds, my shampoo is green so that's easy to tell when its out.

Wet comb after conditioning, but before any leave-ins/oils. Keeps shedding to a minimum and stops my hair frizzing as much.

At my current length (APL stretched and shoulder curly) nothing really works, especially updo wise; crown braids, gibson tucks and just leaving it curly seem to work best at the moment. When it was longer, just past waist, it was always straightened and was easier to managed and do stuff too.

Curly hair with a natural bluntish cut = inevitable triangle hair, ah well. Twisting/plaiting two sides and then pinning them at the back usually works. Layers? Not for me, they usually give a pea-shaped look when it's curly and add ten times more volume! :doh: I'm recovering from a exam stress related shed (lost comb fulls of hair with every comb, wasn't fun at all) and my ends are a bit thin, just dealing with it as the regrowth travels down, hot oil treatments have been helping a lot, as have braid waves. No fairytale ends as of yet, my hair grows pretty equally/blunt and always has done, hoping to find out where it fairytales in a few years though.

lapushka
August 4th, 2014, 12:34 PM
If you want to change the name, I'd think we can be called mane-heads or lion-heads... not mop-heads. :D

I love that name!

PS Great thread idea, but I am a "Curly Girl" not a "mop head." Thanks! ;)

Wavy girl here but I'm so not a mop head either. It's hard to think affectionately of that wild "bunch" of hair, and so I'd rather tie a more affectionate name to it. :lol:

We get it, truly, I mean, I'm sure we all do and that you meant nothing of it. :flower: :D

"Lion Manes" works for me! Thank you so much for doing this! :) We curly girls have to work really hard to deal with strangers touching our hair, ignorant comments, etc. It has taken me most of my 56 years to accept my hair type and cherish it instead of hating it. Hope you understand. Thanks for changing the title of your thread. &;) And... btw, this is a really great idea for a thread to find out new ideas to work with our hair! :)

Yes, getting the part about learning to accept your own texture. It took me quite some time too. :)

jeanniet
August 4th, 2014, 12:49 PM
I have a 5" circumference, but heavy layering on shoulder length hair, so right now it doesn't seem as thick (thankfully). I don't worry about triangle head because I actually like a bit of the wild curly look, but really for me the trick is to have a good curly cut. If I have that, it pretty much looks fairly decent even when it's a mess. In fact, I just got back from a Alaskan cruise (lots of damp and wind), and had great hair most of the time even though all I used was conditioner and gel. A very nice woman came up to me and told me how much she liked my hair, which totally made my decade, lol.

I BBB every once in a while, but pretty rarely. Usually only when I need a good scalp massage. Otherwise, I just CO, leave in, gel, and air dry. Pretty basic.

Sparklylady82
August 4th, 2014, 01:26 PM

Hello! I think I will fall into this category eventually. Right now I am APLish and have breakage and old layers/ fringe and am measuring right at 4". I think once my hair gets longer and more one length it'll be much thicker! Subscribing!!!

jupiterinleo
August 4th, 2014, 01:34 PM
The Naughty Mess says, "We hates shampoo.... it buuuuurns us!!"

:laugh: Now I'm forever imagining my hair commenting on everything I do in a Gollum voice.

Hele
August 4th, 2014, 01:42 PM

one of the best things i ever did for myself was buy a squeeze bottle (like for applying hair dye, or is you're cheap like me a bottle for ketchup/mustard found in the cookware section) to keep in the shower. Getting my hair wet is a massive challenge, let alone getting anything to my scalp. I just put a dollop of shampoo in the bottle, add water, and apply it section by section to my scalp. Works great!

Hibernis
August 4th, 2014, 01:47 PM
one of the best things i ever did for myself was buy a squeeze bottle (like for applying hair dye, or is you're cheap like me a bottle for ketchup/mustard found in the cookware section) to keep in the shower. Getting my hair wet is a massive challenge, let alone getting anything to my scalp. I just put a dollop of shampoo in the bottle, add water, and apply it section by section to my scalp. Works great!

This is a darn tootin' good idea!

darklyndsea
August 4th, 2014, 01:48 PM

Mostly I use way more shampoo than I need, so it can penetrate without me having to help it along too much. I do try to get at my scalp as much as possible, but I rarely manage to actually get the back of my head where my hair is thickest (or at least not very well). My fingers seem to penetrate the best when I bring them in horizontally from the front.

meteor
August 4th, 2014, 01:48 PM
I really agree with Hele, I love using diluted shampoo in a squeeze bottle to get the whole scalp. :D

Bonus points: it's the perfect tool for scalp-only washes.

Beborani
August 4th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the ideas--will try them.

Anje
August 4th, 2014, 04:39 PM

All changed up for you now. :) As you can see, some replies will have the previous title, but the headline people click is retitled.

Hibernis
August 4th, 2014, 05:01 PM
All changed up for you now. :) As you can see, some replies will have the previous title, but the headline people click is retitled.

Thank you!

lapushka
August 4th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Thank you!

And *thank* *you* (so much) for listening to us, and taking our feelings into account.

BrendaLoan
August 4th, 2014, 08:49 PM

That's brilliant! :eek:

Hibernis
August 5th, 2014, 10:41 PM
How does everyone wear their hair to bed?

Ingrid
August 6th, 2014, 12:15 AM
Just measured my ponytail and it looks like my thickness is a bit over 4". But, I am growing out very damaged and layered hair, so my hair from about collabone down progressively gets thinner. I don't have any troubles using a BBB, although I find I have to section my hair in 4-5 parts to use it effectively. And yes, I do end up looking like a lion after I use the BBB... :lol: I detangle with a wide-toothed comb, also in sections and starting from the ends.

I currently don't have a triangle-head because of the thinner layers in the bottom parts of my hair but it's one of the major reasons why I refuse to have shorter hair again! Also I used to have bangs but have grown them out, and they're probably around APL now.

In terms of hairstyles, the thinner ends again allow me to do pretty much any bun, which is nice. I'm not sure how it'll be once I've gotten rid of all the damaged thinner hair but I imagine with microtrimming it will take at least 4 years, so I'm not worrying about it just yet :o

I'm glad this thread exists, it means I'll hopefully know what to expect! Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences :)

KittyBird
August 6th, 2014, 12:16 AM
I wear it in a sleep cap most of the time, but I occasionally just leave it loose and put it over my pillow. I don't move much when I sleep, so it actually stays there. I don't do sleep braids anymore, because they only give me horribly matted tangles.

tsc
August 6th, 2014, 02:48 PM
<---- I may just qualify...

I use a Denman with half of the rows removed for detangling, or a wide-tooth comb while in the shower. BBB= massive knots and a bunch of damage for me. I have bangs but they're long and haven't had any discernible difference on the way my hair works.

I braid/bun/pigtail constantly. I live in the desert and it's always windy here, hair down results in hair in my face all the time.

GetMeToWaist
August 6th, 2014, 02:52 PM
I use a Denman :)

Singing Bird
August 6th, 2014, 03:02 PM
4 1/3 inch and wavy hair

Never!

I look at the water - most times it only takes about a minute to rinse everything out.

Fingers or a wooden comb - it takes only a few minutes to comb my hair.

Since hip I wear LWB, french braid, dutch braid oder celtic bun most of the time.

I never had problems with this. At the moment I grow out my layers because I hate them - nearly done, only 4 inches left.

No bangs since I was 8.

PrincessBob
August 6th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Who else out there has super thick hair? Guess I'm one.

Not nearly as often as I think would be beneficial. I section a lot, and being such a pain in the butt, it is actually only a few times a month

It takes forever, but I recently got a Tangle Teezer Aqua Splash, which helps me move shampoo, conditioner and clean water through my hair.

I use a Hairsense Super Detangle Rake comb and a Tangle Teezer.

Braided pigtails work for me at any length. I didn't figure out hair sticks until near classic, so buns were always a falling out thing from apl to hip held poorly with ponytails ties. I wore lots of looped ponytails.

I had triangle head for most of my childhood, and it is not too pretty. Thinning shears were broken in my hair when I was young, layers are too much maintenance. I started shaving the back of my head in junior high, but now I am glad to have all the thick hair I do.

I always hated bangs, they are in my face and itchy, yuck! I grew my bangs out in junior high and have tried to keep them long since.

Hibernis
August 6th, 2014, 04:36 PM
What hair toys work for you? I just got a large flexi-8 and it's too small for a bun, really tight and won't sit in the center of the bun. I'm not even APL.

How about ficcares? Any luck with those?

darklyndsea
August 6th, 2014, 05:30 PM
What hair toys work for you? I just got a large flexi-8 and it's too small for a bun, really tight and won't sit in the center of the bun. I'm not even APL.

For me, Ficcares only work if I use two of them, one from the left and one from the right (but when I do, they work fine). I have a mega flexi-8, which works for some things, but my hair is grabby with it and it's as uncomfortable as hair sticks for me. I alternate between using Ficcares, amish pins, and hairstyles that hold themselves up (amish braids and the Elling bun).

woodswanderer
August 6th, 2014, 05:45 PM
I really think ficcare should make an XL size.

chen bao jun
August 6th, 2014, 06:12 PM
I have somewhere between 4 3/4 and 5 1/4 circ--varies according to the day, the weather, I don't know what else. I'm not just thick, I'm also pouffy.
However, my hair is not yet very long.

I have never BBBed. Brushes are a disaster and I don't think a BBB would make it any better. I finger detangle.

Doesn't matter, I co-wash and leave in anyway.
But I wash my hair in sections. Its in four braids and I take out one at a time and deal with it and then rebraid it and claw clip it back to the top of my head. I can reach my scalp through the braids to W (I actually CWC) and then I cowash each section and braid it back up--makes wash day much nicer.
i never do anything to my hair all at once, its always sectioned. (usually in four)

Fingers only when full of conditioner when I wash. I do braid my hair every night loosely but don't detangle. Also I use Kimberlily's defrizz spray before I braid.

Just started to be able to do a Nautilus over 2 fingers. When I got to BSL, I could do it over one finger, but it was very tight and only possible since I have a whole lot of taper. I could also do a disc bun since BSL and a sort of beebutt or top knot since maybe APL? But I think updoes are easier for me than for others since not only do I have the taper, but my hair is so curly that it stays up more easily.
I did a lot of French buns before I hit APL and also faux crown braids. I am just starting to wear a single braid now because before I had a braid stub (with a sudden taper, also) that completely looked ridiculous.
I can't do LWB or figure 8's or any of those other hairstyles not even in my dreams.

Length solves the triangle head. Before that, I did half ups. Layers are awful on me because then I can't put my hair up which is the only way I keep it in control. Fairy tale ends are fine with me since I have curls. My taper (thinning out at bottom) is improving a lot as I stay on LHC and the thickness goes down my length. I treated my horribly before, just simply ripped it out, andso there is a clear pre and most LHC demarcation line of thickness (and also softness to touch).

I jsut got rid of my bangs and they were never a problem. They were a very small piece of hair that I just let naturally squiggle in front (the rest of my hair I usually braid every night as that stretches it and makes it easier to bun and also keeps tangles at bay). Being a hypercurly though, I can have my bangs back whenever I want them. If I fail to braid that section of hair it shrinks up enough to be bangs again.

meteor
August 6th, 2014, 07:57 PM
I prefer hair sticks and hair forks (well, I only have one fork so far, but I LOVE it!) :D

For me, Ficcares only work if I use two of them, one from the left and one from the right (but when I do, they work fine). I have a mega flexi-8, which works for some things, but my hair is grabby with it and it's as uncomfortable as hair sticks for me. I alternate between using Ficcares, amish pins, and hairstyles that hold themselves up (amish braids and the Elling bun).

Can you please share your tips on how you keep these two styles up without any pins or hair toys? :) I know they are self-holding, but I must be doing something wrong because I really need something to hold them... Thank you! :flower:

meteor
August 6th, 2014, 08:00 PM

ALWAYS contained (otherwise it's tangle-nightmare in the morning) - usually English-braided in one or two braids. More braids if I want to create tight small waves. I don't even bother to tie off the braids at this length anymore, but if you have to, I'd recommend silk ribbons.
Ever since I started using a silk scarf to bed, I've also noticed a big difference: more shine, fewer tangles, less dust/lint sticking to hair overnight.

meteor
August 6th, 2014, 08:11 PM
I did a lot of French buns before I hit APL and also faux crown braids.

I really enjoyed reading your advice, chen! :)
What are those "French buns"? And I'm also really curious about that "faux crown braid" you are speaking of... how do you do it?
(I only know the coronet braid as the "faux crown braid" but I think that's not what you are talking about since the "coronet" requires about classic+ length?)
Thank you very much! :flower:

chen bao jun
August 6th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Whoops, I meant french roll. Sorry. The faux crown braid I'm talking about is sometimes now called 'goddess braids' (but I got used to calling it a faux crown braid). I do it several different ways. Basically you french braid your hair in a circular fashion and then pin down the excess. I used to part my hair in the middle and do two french braids going towards the front, crisscross them and pin them down but now with length, I usually start on one side and go all around french braiding or dutch braiding until I run out of head and then keep braiding the hair into a plait. then I pin the plait down onto the braid. I'll see if I can get hubby to take photos.
It's a great hair style for a thick haired person as the french or dutch braids look really fat if your hair is thick and french braiding of course eats up a lot of thickness so that the final loose braid that you end up winding around is manageable. If that makes sense. I've been really tired today, I don't know why.

PrincessBob
August 6th, 2014, 08:46 PM

I have to be creative to make a flexi 8 work. I have good luck with hair forks, preferably with head curve built in, I also do well with sticks, provided I use at least 2 or 3 to distribute the weight of the bun. I haven't gotten the nerve to spend the price to try a ficcare.

Hele
August 6th, 2014, 08:52 PM

as my hair gets longer i'm becoming more limited as to what i can use, i've really noticed this since i got past TBL. I highly recommend Good Village Woodcraft to anyone with long thick hair, the tines are sharp enough that they glide right through my coarse hair (i love Jeterforks also but they're not sharp, and i have to work a bit to get them in sometimes). The forks are also on the longer side, there's regularly 6 inch forks available in the shop. As for sticks it depends on the bun, for a cinnabun or a knot bun i can use sticks that are between 6.5 and 7 inches but for all other buns i really need 7 inches or longer, shorter sticks can't balance the weight of my hair. With Flexi-8's i've been using XL but it only works in a knot bun (the most compressed bun i do), it's super secure. And Ficcares...oh my they're so pretty but they so don't work for me. Maybe if it was bigger or if i liked the look of multiples :(

for sleeping i do some sort of braid or i use a fork, my hair escapes to some extent from both. I wish i could do some of the complex looking braids some of you all do, my hair fights back too much!

meteor
August 6th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Thank you very much, chen! That's actually a very good and clear explanation! :) Thank you! :flowers:

PrincessBob, Hele, thank you so very much for the details on your preferred hair toys! That's really, really helpful! :flowers:

chen bao jun
August 6th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Hair toys that work--everything works that people use on LHC. yay! Drugstore hairtoys didn't use to work at all and would jsut break, as did combs and brushes and blowdryer attachments--I love using my fingers, since I can't hurt them.
NOt just drugstore. I basically never fit any barrettes except for half ups. This is disappointing with companies such as France Luxe, where their volume barrette for thick hair was only useful for a half up, but with companies like ficcare, flexi 8, GTS, Jeterforks, etc, the sky is the limit. I see people with much more hair than me still fitting them (I'm looking at you, Kittybird, Islandgrrl and there are a lot of others), even though some (ahem!) have to use two ficcares, which I can't even imagine...
I tend to need somewhat large hairtoys at shorter lengths, but as I grow longer and can do centerheld buns, I can now use a large flexi 8 where I couldn't before (since it doesn't have to hold my whole hair) and I can use smaller claw clips around the edges of a bun and so forth.
Mega flexis are too big for me, that's the only hair toy I've run into so far that's actually too big on this forum, as my hair can kind of pouf to expand to fit the space in most things....My head is also large, so more substantial toys probably look a little better for that reason, too.

meteor
August 6th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Hmmm, that's interesting information, chen. I really don't know about Ficcares and Flexi-8... I've never seen really large enough sizes, where I'd be sure they'd work for me. They tend to be small, no? What are the largest sizes in inches for Flexi-8 and Ficcares that are available on the market?
(Oh, and using 2 Ficcares just to hold one bun sounds kind of expensive to me...)

darklyndsea
August 6th, 2014, 10:47 PM
I prefer hair sticks and hair forks (well, I only have one fork so far, but I LOVE it!) :D

Can you please share your tips on how you keep these two styles up without any pins or hair toys? :) I know they are self-holding, but I must be doing something wrong because I really need something to hold them... Thank you! :flower:

I don't think I have any tricks with the Elling bun. It does loosen and come down eventually, but for me it holds decently well. It might have something to do with length? I think it didn't hold quite as well when my hair was shorter. It holds better with a couple of amish pins, so sometimes I stick them in anyway.

For amish braids, I think the trick is getting the tension just right, so that they're firmly held but not painful. Try pulling each crossover tight enough that you'd get a headache if you left them like that, then loosening it the tiniest bit. I also bring the ends of the two braids together and put an elastic around them (again, as tight as they can pull without being painful); I know some people secure their ends differently, so that might make a difference. I braid pretty firmly because my hair doesn't give me a choice.

Singing Bird
August 6th, 2014, 11:53 PM

I always wear a french or a dutch braid.

I use flexis in Mega, hairsticks with a length of 6.5 - 7 inches or hairtoys from Senza Limiti (in the biggest size - for example the KPO, a fork, has a usable length of 6.5 inches).

lapushka
August 7th, 2014, 06:37 AM

Loose. I always sleep on my side, so it gets folded underneath my head.

Ingrid
August 29th, 2014, 03:25 AM
For sleep, I make a braid on top of my head and coil it up under a sleep cap. That way my hair is contained and I don't end up rolling on it. Plus, it has the benefit of virtually no need to detangle in the morning.

Sparklylady82
August 29th, 2014, 03:19 PM
I'm random. It really depends on how I am feeling. If I am really tired I may leave it loose. Last night I figured out how to do a disc bun and my hair stick is really short so I slept that way. Most of the time I pull a bun on top of my head and secure with scrunchi. I like to keep it fun haha!

meteor
August 29th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Is anybody else noticing how the longer the hair gets, the less it needs to be braided or otherwise contained for bed? The thing is the length gets coiled conveniently above the head and doesn't move much (thanks to weight). When my hair was shoulder to BSL, it would always be ridiculously tangled/matted in the morning, because it's pretty hard to keep shorter but thick hair contained and not moving around.

I remember one of super-long-hairs here said how her hair just sits coiled in her lap now that it's really long and is a lot easier to control, and I wonder if it's the same phenomenon?

lapushka
August 29th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Is anybody else noticing how the longer the hair gets, the less it needs to be braided or otherwise contained for bed? The thing is the length gets coiled conveniently above the head and doesn't move much (thanks to weight). When my hair was shoulder to BSL, it would always be ridiculously tangled/matted in the morning, because it's pretty hard to keep shorter but thick hair contained and not moving around.

I remember one of super-long-hairs here said how her hair just sits coiled in her lap now that it's really long and is a lot easier to control, and I wonder if it's the same phenomenon?

I've never contained my hair, but it definitely folds up easier at this length than it did when it was shorter. I sleep with it folded up underneath my head (don't move much during sleep).

GetMeToWaist
August 29th, 2014, 04:09 PM
I leave it loose or in a braid.

Ingrid
August 29th, 2014, 05:37 PM

I used to just coil it up on top of my head for sleep and it stayed that way until morning but I'm finding my hair feels in a better condition after waking up when it's been in a braid. Feels like braids for me are a bit better at preserving moisture. That said, my hair is quite dry (especially the dyed parts) so preserving moisture is key right now.

Entangled
August 29th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Hmm. How do you deal with body? My sister's hair is somewhere between BSL and APL, and she's wishing for her waist length hair again. It's about halfway there from where she cut it, but the volume bothers her a bit. She's firmly in the iii category. Any tips for her? Any tips for styling or wearing it down?

meteor
August 29th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Entangled, I'd say nothing works better for controlling that huge volume than just growing out hair longer. The very weight of long hair kills some of that volume.
Other than that, I would recommend half-ups as a modified way of wearing thick and rebellious hair down. :)

leilani
August 30th, 2014, 07:03 AM
I love half ups, the weight of my hair makes updos hurt when the hairs are pulled the wrong way at the scalp, have never been able to wear a ponytail without a headache my whole life.

I sleep with it thrown up over my head falling off the pillow and I don't move when I sleep so no detangling needed in morning. My hair never tangles much anyways, it's texture maybe helps keep tangles from forming in the first place.

Singing Bird
August 30th, 2014, 07:31 AM

I have to braid my hair every night - currently more than at a shorter length. If I don't braid my boyfriend will lie on my hair during night. It's no option to coil it above the head because there isn't enough space (I lie very close to the bed-head - I lie up to my chest on the pillow) or to coil it under the head because I'm a belly sleeper.

Beborani
August 30th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Thanks to Hele and those who responded to my question. The squirt bottle works great- I cowash but the principle is the same.

captaincrunch
August 30th, 2014, 06:41 PM
What is BBB?

meteor
August 30th, 2014, 07:01 PM
What is BBB?
Boar Bristle Brush :)

Beborani
August 30th, 2014, 07:24 PM
I stick my loose hair into one like this and it stays that way most nights even though I toss and turn a lot-no one sleeps on my hair and I wake up with great hair and no elastic marks on my face.
http://blensblend.com/Charmeuse-Silk-Sleep-Cap-Earth-15-011526611.htm

maegalcarwen
August 31st, 2014, 05:20 AM
Does this look iii? I've always been told since I was a toddler that I have amazingly dense hair ( back when I was a kid I hated it), but I don't really think I do. It's just that where I come from, my hair type is really rare, so maybe compared to the other people (1a hair:D) it looked like a mane.

Here are several pictures ( 2012-2014):

http://s23.postimg.org/wmd029wfb/IMAG0107.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/wmd029wfb/)

http://s17.postimg.org/h7f64ub6z/2014_08_31_132001.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/h7f64ub6z/)

http://s17.postimg.org/4er24wzl7/avatar.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

leilani
August 31st, 2014, 05:32 AM
Impossible to tell from 2D images. Measure your ponytail circumference.

lapushka
August 31st, 2014, 07:23 AM
Impossible to tell from 2D images. Measure your ponytail circumference.

^^ This. Make a ponytail, and measure excluding the elastic band!

Hele
August 31st, 2014, 08:35 AM
i don't know if i'm just a crazy sleeper or what but i cannot keep my hair successfully contained when i sleep. If i bun it it spits out the fork and i'll find it laying beside me when i wake up. I can't use a stick because ones short enough to sleep on can't hold my hair up. If i make a cinnabun it will stay up without a fork or stick while i'm awake but this doesn't work when i sleep (because apparently i'm break dancing). If i braid it for bed i'll wake up to it half exploded out of the braid (granted it does that when i'm awake too) plus i've woken up with the braid wrapped around my neck a few times. I really don't like the way sleep caps look but i might finally try one, i'm losing the battle here! :(

meteor
August 31st, 2014, 11:28 AM
Does this look iii? I've always been told since I was a toddler that I have amazingly dense hair ( back when I was a kid I hated it), but I don't really think I do. It's just that where I come from, my hair type is really rare, so maybe compared to the other people (1a hair:D) it looked like a mane.

Measuring ponytail circumference should help. Don't get discouraged if your measurements are different on different days.
I'd say, the fact that people tell you that your hair is amazingly dense (especially hairdressers) is the biggest indicator. It's hard to feel whether your hair is thick or not, because that's the only head of hair you've ever had - so what's normal to you may be super-dense to others.

If hairdressers charge you for a lot more product and a lot more time spent on your hair, that sounds like a typical iii problem. :)

burny
August 31st, 2014, 11:41 AM
maegalcarwen, it's hard to tell from a picture, but it looks to me like it's probably thick; The curve in your part looks thick(full of hair), rather than fluffy(full of 'volume').
I agree meteor; If a hair dresser says you have thick hair(especially if you didn't ask), then you certainly have thick hair.

Seeshami
August 31st, 2014, 01:03 PM
I use to think hair dressers were stupid when they told me my hair was soooooo :swoon: thick.

I have since learned I was the stupid one lol

maegalcarwen
August 31st, 2014, 04:00 PM
Measuring ponytail circumference should help. Don't get discouraged if your measurements are different on different days.
I'd say, the fact that people tell you that your hair is amazingly dense (especially hairdressers) is the biggest indicator. It's hard to feel whether your hair is thick or not, because that's the only head of hair you've ever had - so what's normal to you may be super-dense to others.

If hairdressers charge you for a lot more product and a lot more time spent on your hair, that sounds like a typical iii problem. :)

Hehe, yeah, I thought I ask..:) But maybe it just looks dense.. dunno:) I will try the ponytail thing, but I have a lot of layers and I've had my hair bleached (only the roots are virgin). So I just put it in a high/low whatever ponytail and just measure around it? Never did anything like it before... Another crazy-looking thing for my partner to witness:DD

lapushka
August 31st, 2014, 04:16 PM
Hehe, yeah, I thought I ask..:) But maybe it just looks dense.. dunno:) I will try the ponytail thing, but I have a lot of layers and I've had my hair bleached (only the roots are virgin). So I just put it in a high/low whatever ponytail and just measure around it? Never did anything like it before... Another crazy-looking thing for my partner to witness:DD

To get all the layers in, might be best to do a mid to high ponytail, you have to see for yourself. It's not that difficult. ;)

chen bao jun
August 31st, 2014, 04:32 PM
This.
Hairdressers will definitely let you know. Its more work for them.
You can also tell if you are thick because of the problem of finding barrettes, claw clips, etc. that will contain your hair. "Average" drugstore or Claire's hair things wimp out on you or break. It was a miracle for me to come to LHC and find so many other thick haired people who had hints on how to deal with it and just encouragement about it.

maegalcarwen
August 31st, 2014, 05:05 PM
To get all the layers in, might be best to do a mid to high ponytail, you have to see for yourself. It's not that difficult. ;)

Alright, I did several ponytails with several hairtie-types and measured everything, the results move between 9cm and 11cm. ( if I am not mistaken, that is 3,1 inches and 4,33 inches)
Doesn't sound too impressive.

maegalcarwen
August 31st, 2014, 05:08 PM
This.
Hairdressers will definitely let you know. Its more work for them.
You can also tell if you are thick because of the problem of finding barrettes, claw clips, etc. that will contain your hair. "Average" drugstore or Claire's hair things wimp out on you or break. It was a miracle for me to come to LHC and find so many other thick haired people who had hints on how to deal with it and just encouragement about it.

Oh yes, I have that too, all the time! Again, since I was a kid. I am so proud of my Mom though, she solved it really well: ) I can barely use anything from "common" hair tools, usually just (metal free) hairbands and some longer bobby pins. Maybe some headbands, but those I don't like. I am so happy I discovered hairpins, forks, sticks, etc etc!

lapushka
August 31st, 2014, 05:19 PM
Alright, I did several ponytails with several hairtie-types and measured everything, the results move between 9cm and 11cm. ( if I am not mistaken, that is 3,1 inches and 4,33 inches)
Doesn't sound too impressive.

Sure sounds impressive to me. :)

burny
August 31st, 2014, 05:23 PM
9cm is more like 3.6", not 3.1

maegalcarwen
September 1st, 2014, 06:45 AM
9cm is more like 3.6", not 3.1

Thanks, I am from Europe we use metric:)

maegalcarwen
September 1st, 2014, 06:46 AM
Sure sounds impressive to me. :)

So do I qualify for this thread? :) Is there a measurement indicator thingie for i/ii/iii?

lapushka
September 1st, 2014, 08:07 AM
So do I qualify for this thread? :) Is there a measurement indicator thingie for i/ii/iii?

Well the thread says "iii", but I'm sure we don't make any exceptions on ii/iii. ;)

Beborani
September 1st, 2014, 10:33 PM
Very simple test for hair density is to measure distance between follicular units --1 mm is considered thick and number of hair per follicular unit--usually it is 2 or 3. It is easy to do this using magnifying mirror or lens and ruler or tape. I need to do this to make sure I am not overdoing the minoxidil but anyone who cant use ponytail method can use it.I have also used camera to photograph the parting with measuring tape next to it to get a better estimate. This probably deserves a separate thread as I would like some lhc data from willing participants without freaking out impressionable youngsters and start a new obsession. My info comes from articles like this ( completely unrelated to this thread) http://www.clinicajimenezacosta.com/pdf/publicacion1.pdf

Sparklylady82
January 5th, 2015, 08:33 PM
This thread has been quiet for awhile so I thought I'd wake it up! Question: At what point were you able to exeriment with different buns. I am type iii (exactly 4") and am at BSL. I have heard that buns are hard to do for people with thick hair. Any info or advice on this would be great! I wanna experiment with different buns but I don't wanna waist my time on something impossible either ;-)

Sarahlabyrinth
January 5th, 2015, 08:46 PM
My circumference is 4.25, so on the lower end of thick.

I BBB using Madora's method. I don't brush quite as much as she does as my hair is fine and probably doesn't need it. I brush once a day when I get up.

Sigh. Rinsing takes up most of my shower time, our water pressure means we get little more than a dribble in the shower and rinsing takes me ages....

I have a Madora wide toothed comb and a Madora BBB for brushing.

Mostly buns and peacock twists. I love buns and the bigger the better!

I have never worried about triangle head. I prefer to keep my ends faily blunt and have just begun micro trimming to achieve this. I would never thin out my hair.

I love bangs in theory but in practice they just look bad on me and stick out at all angles.

Madora
January 5th, 2015, 08:52 PM
Sparklylady82, you might like to try sectioning your hair when creating certain buns: double braided, Cameo, double twist, double rope buns. Here's how:

. When I first visited the George Michael salon in NYC they advised that to wear long, thick hair comfortably, you had to section it to distribute the weight. It is also better for your hair to be sectioned than glomed all in once place because you're not putting a lot of pressure on a small area on your scalp.
Sectioning (for the double braided bun):
1) Detangle your hair gently with a wide tooth comb
2) Part your hair from the top of your right ear, around the back of your head, to the top of your other ear
3) Take all the hair ABOVE the part, comb it out gently.
4) Divide hair in 3 parts and braid it loosely. Tie off w/hair friendly elastic
5) Coil the braid you just made by holding it FLAT against your scalp. While you are coiling, pin the braid to the scalp using crimped hairpins. Pin at the four directions (North/South/East/West..use more pins if needed)
6) Tuck the tassel under the braid coil
7) Take the remaining hair, comb out gently so there are no tangles
8) Divide in 3 sections. Braid Loosely! Fasten w/hair friendly elastic band.
9) Take the braid and wind it around the braided bun already made.
10) As you wind the braid around the bun, pin with crimped hairpins. Tuck in tassel.
Voila: you have created a comfy, long lasting double braided bun! Holds like a rock.

Sectioning can also be used to create: cameo bun, triple braided bun, double twisted bun, and a whole bunch of other variations
Sectioning can be done in more than 2 sections but I've only used two for most of my braids and stuff.
Special tip for step # 8 In order to get the remaining braid as close to the bun as possible, bend your head down steeply and then begin the braid as close to the bun as you can. It is a lot easier for gravity to work for you, than against you, when you are braiding the final braid!

I found that my first decent bun was when my hair reached waist.

dollyfish
January 5th, 2015, 09:32 PM
Ooh! Ooh! This thread is me :)

My sig pics are a 1 in a million exception...usually I have a mane. When I was a kid, a hairdresser once charged my mom extra because it took so much longer to do my cut since "[I] have 3x as much hair as a normal person!" (She was an unprofessional newbie, lol)

Personally, I LOVE having thick hair. It's crazy and hard to manage, and I can't do a lot of the "pretty" elegant looks, but I feel like the hair I have is very *me*
I love the texture. I miss when my hair was midback/waist-ish and I could just gather it up and hug it like a little friend. It's frizzy and drinks moisture like a dying man in a desert, but eh, it's worth it for how strong and forgiving it is. I never get splits...like, ever. My individual strands are sturdy as all heck. And I love cutting in big chunky bangs. I like how I have so much STUFF to work with, to frame my face. I've got a lot of surface area to sculpt. (I cut my own hair, if that's not apparent.)

Also, it's great that I can do buns so much more easily because of how thick my hair is. I can do a half cinnabun (aka a bunch of hair is sticking out, but it holds with a ficcare) at *shoulder* length. I can do a legit cinnabun no problemo at BSL. I wish I hadn't chopped at waist. So many fun hair possibilities. And mmMMmm thick braids make me feel like a Disney princess :D

I'm proud of my Hermione hair! :)

ETA: Personally, I only comb with my fingers. If I want to do some serious detangling and try to straighten my hair a bit while it's drying, I'll comb out slowly with my nice wooden comb. Sometimes I use a BBB if I feel like some luxurious petting on oily hair (kills my waves, so I don't do this often). I find just using my fingers to break up sections and feel around for problem areas has been the best for me. But I have pretty wavy hair, so I don't mind if my updos aren't smooth.

FallingDarkness
January 5th, 2015, 10:05 PM
This thread has been quiet for awhile so I thought I'd wake it up! Question: At what point were you able to exeriment with different buns. I am type iii (exactly 4") and am at BSL. I have heard that buns are hard to do for people with thick hair. Any info or advice on this would be great! I wanna experiment with different buns but I don't wanna waist my time on something impossible either ;-)

Hair forks have REALLY helped me bun my hair. I just have one three pronged Jeterfork available on Etsy and I was able to do cinnabuns and LWBs at BSL. Now that I'm nearly at waist I can use a pencil for both of those buns, I can do braided cinnabuns with my hair fork.
It's not hopeless. It was pretty difficult to learn the technique though :P

Sparklylady82
January 5th, 2015, 11:07 PM
Sparklylady82, you might like to try sectioning your hair when creating certain buns: double braided, Cameo, double twist, double rope buns. Here's how:

. When I first visited the George Michael salon in NYC they advised that to wear long, thick hair comfortably, you had to section it to distribute the weight. It is also better for your hair to be sectioned than glomed all in once place because you're not putting a lot of pressure on a small area on your scalp.
Sectioning (for the double braided bun):
1) Detangle your hair gently with a wide tooth comb
2) Part your hair from the top of your right ear, around the back of your head, to the top of your other ear
3) Take all the hair ABOVE the part, comb it out gently.
4) Divide hair in 3 parts and braid it loosely. Tie off w/hair friendly elastic
5) Coil the braid you just made by holding it FLAT against your scalp. While you are coiling, pin the braid to the scalp using crimped hairpins. Pin at the four directions (North/South/East/West..use more pins if needed)
6) Tuck the tassel under the braid coil
7) Take the remaining hair, comb out gently so there are no tangles
8) Divide in 3 sections. Braid Loosely! Fasten w/hair friendly elastic band.
9) Take the braid and wind it around the braided bun already made.
10) As you wind the braid around the bun, pin with crimped hairpins. Tuck in tassel.
Voila: you have created a comfy, long lasting double braided bun! Holds like a rock.

Sectioning can also be used to create: cameo bun, triple braided bun, double twisted bun, and a whole bunch of other variations
Sectioning can be done in more than 2 sections but I've only used two for most of my braids and stuff.
Special tip for step # 8 In order to get the remaining braid as close to the bun as possible, bend your head down steeply and then begin the braid as close to the bun as you can. It is a lot easier for gravity to work for you, than against you, when you are braiding the final braid!

I found that my first decent bun was when my hair reached waist.

Thank you Madora for this detail instructions! I am wearing the braided bun right now!!! It was very easy and it feels SO comfortable :-) It looks very elegant as well...I will post a picture!

Hair forks have REALLY helped me bun my hair. I just have one three pronged Jeterfork available on Etsy and I was able to do cinnabuns and LWBs at BSL. Now that I'm nearly at waist I can use a pencil for both of those buns, I can do braided cinnabuns with my hair fork.
It's not hopeless. It was pretty difficult to learn the technique though :P

I do like hair forks as well but I can only do a LWB and a cheater disc bun. I have yet to figure out how to place the fork in a cinnabun and have it hold. I need to find some videos I guess.

Sparklylady82
January 5th, 2015, 11:35 PM
Hi Madora, Here is the sectioned braid bun: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15119&d=1420526006

Does it look right? It feels so comfortable. I did this quickly just to try but it is so comfy that I will sleep on it :-)

schnibbles
January 6th, 2015, 06:55 AM
I do like hair forks as well but I can only do a LWB and a cheater disc bun. I have yet to figure out how to place the fork in a cinnabun and have it hold. I need to find some videos I guess.

Sparkly, I have only been able to do a cinnabun until very recently, at hip + .... (well, I'm probably 3 inches or so from BCL now) When I joined here at BSL I simply couldn't figure cinnabuns out. I wasn't getting enough twists around to get them to stay. So I don't think it's you, is what I'm saying. At your thickness, you might not be able to accomplish one for awhile. Mine still even look a little wonky...kind of bulbous...lol. When I insert the fork into a cinnabun, I kind of go in diagonally and scoop hair from the middle coil, not the outermost coil. The top of the fork holds the hair in the outermost coil behind it but the tines grab the part that, for me, starts to fall out first. So I kind of weave the fork in the middle of the bun and out the other side. Hope this makes sense.

Your sectioned braided bun is lovely! Looks very elegant. I used to do my sectioned buns with rope braids instead of regular 3 strand braids. (again, because of how bulbous my sections get..I mean, it worked but looked sort of crazy)

Here's a sectioned rope braided bun-

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee165/Buttercup_9/bluemetal_zpsa9dbd116.jpg

meteor
January 6th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Lovely updos, schnibbles and Sparklylady82! :)

Me too, I love sectioned buns a lot, especially because there are like a million ways of sectioning hair!

My favorites are:
- Regency braided style: where you braid and bun your bottom hair, and do 2 accent braids with top hair and wrap them around the bun in an X O fashion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhDAeaBggyA;
- Coronet(s) + Bun: a bun from half-up with the bottom hair in 2 braids wrapped around the bun or coronet-braided around the whole head - sort of like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQXu9enBrK0 or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YidfxVXUyNw;
- Braided beehive: a bun from 3 braids stacked on top of each other, first braid creating a bun and each next braid covering the initial bun - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsQ15IxkWMA.

I love these 3 types of sectioning because they are very comfortable but also very safe, low-manipulation and easy (you only need to know how to English-braid).

Selkie-
January 6th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Sparkly, I have only been able to do a cinnabun until very recently, at hip + .... (well, I'm probably 3 inches or so from BCL now) When I joined here at BSL I simply couldn't figure cinnabuns out. I wasn't getting enough twists around to get them to stay. So I don't think it's you, is what I'm saying. At your thickness, you might not be able to accomplish one for awhile. Mine still even look a little wonky...kind of bulbous...lol. When I insert the fork into a cinnabun, I kind of go in diagonally and scoop hair from the middle coil, not the outermost coil. The top of the fork holds the hair in the outermost coil behind it but the tines grab the part that, for me, starts to fall out first. So I kind of weave the fork in the middle of the bun and out the other side. Hope this makes sense.

Your sectioned braided bun is lovely! Looks very elegant. I used to do my sectioned buns with rope braids instead of regular 3 strand braids. (again, because of how bulbous my sections get..I mean, it worked but looked sort of crazy)

Just beautiful Schnibbles! :crush:

Ambrielle
January 6th, 2015, 11:03 AM
thanks so much for this thread :) i will be reading through the suggestions today. I am still struggling with buns, i have tried different ones and styles but they all give me pressure headaches after a few hours because of the weight, plus i already suffer from migraines so i have been wearing my hair down in a braid most of the time, i fold the ends in a loop so they don't rub off on my clothes.

I think i am on the thicker side of iii (ponytail measured properly at 5.25 yesterday excluding bangs), i wanted to grow out my thick bangs but am scared it will add up to the weight/bulk issue.

i am curious about the tangle teezer brush, has anyone with similar hair texture to mine tried it and what did you think of it?

Madora
January 6th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Hi Madora, Here is the sectioned braid bun: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15119&d=1420526006

Does it look right? It feels so comfortable. I did this quickly just to try but it is so comfy that I will sleep on it :-)

Your sectioned braid bun looks lovely, Sparklylady82! Yes, you can sleep on it comfortably! However, if you find it doesn't work out that way, you can always do a sectioned braided bun, but using the inversion method to do it.

@Schnibbles, your sectioned rope bun is very lovely!

schnibbles
January 6th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Thanks very muchly, Madora, Selkie and meteor!

@ Ambrielle, regarding the Tangle Teezer, we have different textures but I will say that it does work pretty well. I sort of stopped using it though, I pretty much only wide-tooth comb it lately. The bristles on the TT are very short so you do definitely have to use it in small sections but it does untangle knots pretty easily, if you struggle with that.

Puffer Fish
January 6th, 2015, 12:42 PM
I belong here!

My circumference is 4", and that's not including my new growth nor my bangs (all of which are too short to ponytail at this time).

I'm barely at shoulder and if I want my wavy texture, it takes at least eight hours to dry. If I fuss with it and comb it, it takes like 4 or 5 hours instead. I'm seriously debating going "screw this" and finger combing or even combing after my next shower, just to get some air movement in there so it's not wet for the next eon, despite how cute I look with big, almost-curly waves.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 6th, 2015, 01:26 PM
I wear my hair loose but confined in a sleeping cap for bed, it gives the follicles a rest from my hair being up all the time but is also prevents tangling and helps the silkiness of my hair. I love my sleeping cap! It looks totally ridiculous (my sister saw me wearing it once and laughed herself silly for 5 minutes) but I don't care!:)

Sparklylady82
January 6th, 2015, 02:23 PM

Very beautiful Schnibbles! Thankyou for the advice! I really like that rope bun :-) I have quite awhile before I can do the cinnabun then (that's ok, its not my favorite anyway! ;-0).

Sparklylady82
January 6th, 2015, 02:26 PM
Lovely updos, schnibbles and Sparklylady82! :)

Me too, I love sectioned buns a lot, especially because there are like a million ways of sectioning hair!

My favorites are:
- Regency braided style: where you braid and bun your bottom hair, and do 2 accent braids with top hair and wrap them around the bun in an X O fashion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhDAeaBggyA;
- Coronet(s) + Bun: a bun from half-up with the bottom hair in 2 braids wrapped around the bun or coronet-braided around the whole head - sort of like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQXu9enBrK0 or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YidfxVXUyNw;
- Braided beehive: a bun from 3 braids stacked on top of each other, first braid creating a bun and each next braid covering the initial bun - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsQ15IxkWMA.

I love these 3 types of sectioning because they are very comfortable but also very safe, low-manipulation and easy (you only need to know how to English-braid).

I will watch these videos soon, thanks so much! I am wearing my hair up for 3 months so I need lots of options.

Ambrielle
January 6th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Thanks very muchly, Madora, Selkie and meteor!

@ Ambrielle, regarding the Tangle Teezer, we have different textures but I will say that it does work pretty well. I sort of stopped using it though, I pretty much only wide-tooth comb it lately. The bristles on the TT are very short so you do definitely have to use it in small sections but it does untangle knots pretty easily, if you struggle with that.

thanks schnibbles, i am very tempted to get one :). I wonder if there is a huge difference in quality between the original and other versions? I also use my wide tooth comb mostly and the denman brush less often but i'd like a compact brush i could carry on me everywhere.

ickle_cat
January 6th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Yay for massively thick hair!

I'm new here so it's cool to find something I can comment on!

Fortunately my hair is only grazing BSL and is massively layered from growing it out, so the thickness isn't really an issue at the moment. I'm just loving it!

It is a bit of a bother having to section it all out for everything, I just thought that was because it was damaged but it might be the volume.

Bonus of really thick hair: you never get a mullet stage when growing it out from mega-short! or at least I didn't :)

schnibbles
January 6th, 2015, 03:32 PM
I have quite awhile before I can do the cinnabun then (that's ok, its not my favorite anyway! ;-0).

At your length I couldn't do one... don't worry, it's not just you! I always thought it was because my bun skillz sucked (.... I'm not saying that they don't :rolling: ) I'd see all these gorgeous, perfectly executed buns on here and wonder why they weren't working for me since I technically should've have the length to pull them off. :confused: Thickness really eats up length though.

thanks schnibbles, i am very tempted to get one :). I wonder if there is a huge difference in quality between the original and other versions? I also use my wide tooth comb mostly and the denman brush less often but i'd like a compact brush i could carry on me everywhere.

There's threads around here about the Tangle Teezer, I think were people compare it to similar products... lemme see if I can dig something up.
Ta da

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128115

Here's a big 'ol thread - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9334

Ambrielle
January 6th, 2015, 04:01 PM
At your length I couldn't do one... don't worry, it's not just you! I always thought it was because my bun skillz sucked (.... I'm not saying that they don't :rolling: ) I'd see all these gorgeous, perfectly executed buns on here and wonder why they weren't working for me since I technically should've have the length to pull them off. :confused: Thickness really eats up length though.

There's threads around here about the Tangle Teezer, I think were people compare it to similar products... lemme see if I can dig something up.
Ta da

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128115

Here's a big 'ol thread - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9334

thanks will check them :thumbsup:

DreamSheep
January 6th, 2015, 04:09 PM
This is definitely my thread :)

I didn't discover the LHC until I was Hip (34''), and then the only bun I could get to work was a sort of half-nautilus with one twist (super tight at the time, but now with extra length I have a bit more leverage)
I made a tutorial on youtube which has helped some people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b6WVvzfV9U

At my length I can also do a disc bun comfortably but it doesn't feel as secure.
My cinnabuns look like sock buns, but with four claw clips at North, East, South and West it holds pretty well. :)
I don't think I can do any other buns right now, but if I want more comfort I split my hair in half and make double buns, which works like sectioning to an extent. :)

meteor
January 6th, 2015, 06:58 PM
I don't think I can do any other buns right now, but if I want more comfort I split my hair in half and make double buns, which works like sectioning to an extent. :)

Oh, definitely. :D Double buns are super-comfy and yes, in a way, a form of sectioning.
I have a question for everyone who does double buns: how do you manage to keep your double buns symmetrical? I can never get the 2 buns looking the same, no matter how much I try!
Does locating the 2 buns vertically (instead of side by side) help them look a bit less asymmetrical for you?

DreamSheep
January 6th, 2015, 07:13 PM
Oh, definitely. :D Double buns are super-comfy and yes, in a way, a form of sectioning.
I have a question for everyone who does double buns: how do you manage to keep your double buns symmetrical? I can never get the 2 buns looking the same, no matter how much I try!
Does locating the 2 buns vertically (instead of side by side) help them look a bit less asymmetrical for you?

I've only ever done them side by side - as I have layers I feel vertically placed buns wouldn't work as well (and I find my hair harder to part in that direction). As I don't usually have a mirror, I try to gather the ponytail at the height of the top of my ears, and that usually works out. I usually use my same hand to make them, so they aren't truly symmetrical, but as I can't see it it can't bother me too much :)
Everyone always says I look like Princess Leia.

semisweetrubix
January 6th, 2015, 11:11 PM

at bsl my hair did ...I don't know what to call it, so I'll say ''sectioned'' buns, where you split the hair into 2/4 parts and then pin it into a bun (chinese/cinnamon/woven), but if all the hair was together in a single unit like a spidermom or a gibraltar it wouldn't hold

Sparklylady82
January 6th, 2015, 11:22 PM
I am finding the sectioned bun trick very helpful! Today I had dance class so I wanted my hair secure. I did 3 sections: from ear to ear (braided then bunned and pinned) & then split the bottom half in two and braided each section, then I crossed the two lower sections and wrapped each section around the 1st bun then pinned. It lasted my whole dance class and I was even able to lay flat because the bun is flat.

Selkie-
January 7th, 2015, 01:16 AM
Thanks for all these links and ideas. I am going to check out some of the youtube videos now! :popcorn: (thanks Meteor!)

Sparklylady82
January 7th, 2015, 11:33 AM
I was able to do a disc bun today so YAY!

minaa
January 7th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Another superthick checking in. I can do the nautilus, cinnabun, and Lwb. I can kinda do a figure 8 and Chinese bun, and sectioned buns are the way to go! I just don't give up until my hair listens.

Sharysa
January 7th, 2015, 01:44 PM

3-4 inches here! I'm also on the low end of thick, but that plus waves mean it's up there in handling.

1) No. Nononono. A fine-toothed comb alone means frizz/poof and no waves, so I will not brush my hair.

2) I split it in half and make sure nothing is slick or sudsy.

3) My fingers most of the time, but I use my awesome horn comb on wash days.

4) Shoulder to long APL: Ponytails. Braids looked like crap, buns always fell out due to not having enough length. Long APL to long midback: Braids. Buns were way too heavy. Long midback to hip: Braids and crown-braid styles. And I LOVE half-ups!

5) I have a deep U-hem with fairy tale ends, and it is FANTASTIC for avoiding triangle-head! Full-on layers are crossing the line between "less weight and no triangle-head" into "shredded braids."

6) No bangs currently. When I had them, I always needed to straighten them.

Key
January 7th, 2015, 08:58 PM
My ponytail circumference is like 4.25 inches, but the only styling I really commonly do is sometimes I'll make twin braids.

All I really know is my hair needs more shampoo and conditioner than usually suggested. Enough until my fingers say it's lathered.

minaa
January 7th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Whoops, I missed the q & a.

I am trying to do it once a day, and I generally do it in sections around my head. I could probably stand to do it actually properly sectioned out with clips. We'll see how it goes, as I haven't done it for a long enough time to really see how successful it is one way or another. I do see a difference in oil distribution and it seems to be less tangled. It does poof my hair out a bit, though. Stupid static.

By hand, usually. Sometimes I still miss the back of my head, though. :\

Wide toothed comb, primarily. BBB to smooth and distribute oil, whether or not I've applied it or it's natural.

Layered cuts work great between shoulder and BSL. After that, you get into braid and bun territory, and layers are frustrating. I did great with a bob when I had really short hair. I love braids, now, when I remember to do them.

I'm growing out my layers now. I don't think I really deal with triangle head too much, as my hair is usually up, and doesn't get crazy volume/frizz as it's heavy and straight. I don't do fairy tale ends, personally. I like having a tassel for hair. :P

Thinning out at the bottom is the same. Provided my layers are grown out, there really isn't much taper at WL. I'm pretty sure I could grow past floor length if I wanted to.

My bangs are pretty sweet. They definitely remove a little bit of the bulk (but not a lot. My buns are still pretty large), and they're not too complicated. They're somewhat flat-cut with little side doohickeys (not sideburns, not longer bangs, I don't know what to call them. It's not really hime-style either--a hairstyle popularized by anime). If I miss a monthly cut I just part them to the side, and have a different style until I can get in to see my stylist.

Entangled
January 8th, 2015, 05:51 PM
I'm not really a iii, but I tried sectioning out with Madora's braided bun, one with ropes and once with three strands, and I'm in love! My buns held securely all day and didn't pull or hurt at all! I checked it this thread to find tips for my iii sister, but I found a gem for me!

Simsy
January 10th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Just over 4.5 inches for this lion mane with curls, waves and fizz. It took me a few years to work out what I was doing with it. I finally decided to see it the pouf to length ratio would improve with length.

A nice big paddle brush morning and night. I'm not all that gentle but I do try to minimise the tugging and pulling. If I have washed it, I french braid it and leave it alone for a couple of days. Night of the second day, I pull it out, brush it and plait as per usual.

I watch for suds and product still on the surface of the hair. I also run a comb through while I'm in the shower to make sure the conditioner is all the way through and most of the knots are out.

When it's wet, I comb it and French braid braid it until it dries fully, usually a couple of days. Dry, it gets brushed with a paddle brush and either braided or into a basic twist bun.

I have used plaits, French and Dutch braids, buns (secured with elastic hair ties because I have nothing else), pony tails. I find my hair starts getting dry and gunky if I leave it loose for more then a few hours even when it was short.

Length and layers. I also got my hair thinned every time I got it cut so I had less to deal with. I can't use layers anymore as my hair is now too long for them to be effective, thankfully the mane appears to have reached the length where triangle head is no longer an issue.

I had a curly mullet for a long time as a kid. Lots of tight ringlets on top and chin length curls down the back. I have never had bangs( I call it a fringe) as no one wanted to deal with curls that short. I did have chin lengths framing my face while I was still SL to APL. They eventually got more annoying because they would not reach any of the pony tails and fell out of the braids. I also had layers trimmed in and the curls thinned out. The mane is now too long for either method to be effective.

curlylocks85
January 11th, 2015, 06:34 PM
I do!

I have not used one before.

I leave my conditioners in.

Fingers & wide tooth bath comb.

So far, braids & buns are working.

Pony braids.

Does not apply.

Sharysa
January 11th, 2015, 11:22 PM

Dutch pigtails, normal pigtails, or a single plain braid. A single DUTCH braid forces all my hair into a giant ridge down my scalp, which is NOT COMFORTABLE.

Jumper
January 12th, 2015, 12:25 AM

No. The only exception being I've overapplied some oil or oily product and I want to spread it out more instead of wash my hair. But that is rare. It just gives too much frizz.

I have had long thick hair my entire life so I don't really know how to answer this... But as long as my scalp feels clean and free of any product after shampooing/conditioning, I'm actually fine with a little conditioner left in my length. Really I just relax in the shower with my head under the water and occasionally squeeze the water out of my hair while rinsing.

I was doing no brushing, because it leaves my hair the curliest. That only lasted a few months until I couldn't deal with not brushing any longer - brushing feels so good and is so stress relieving. I tend to go more than a week between washes, so in the first few days I only comb with a wide toothed comb, very gently, but as my hair naturally weighs itself down and the wurl changes to a gentle wave I'll brush it after I comb. It just feels so good on my scalp...

Pre-waist I pretty much kept it in a ponytail, I couldn't figure out how to do a bun. At waist I discovered LHC and learned how to do a simple bun with a stick which was pretty tight and painful still. Now I can do that bun comfortably at hip but still too thick and unruly to do a real cinnabun or disc bun or anything particularly interesting. I'm starting to bun more frequently than I braid.

Right now I do a bun with 2 regular length spin pins and 2-3 spin pin minis for work, which distributes the weight really well and holds like a rock. The minis are because I can't seem to fit more regulars in without accidentally interlocking them, which makes them hard to get out.

This is honestly never something that even crossed my mind before LHC. I guess looking back on my child self I had a pretty good case of it, but I never think about it with the length being so far down my back. I had layers but I'm currently growing them out - they suck and I hate them.

I would never do bangs with my wurly hair, it would just be insane to even try.

Honestly I wouldn't trade my thick unruly hair for thinner hair any day. I can go forever (or it feels like it) without washing, particularly in the winter (not so much in the summer but I make it work), it makes a nice big braid, nice big bun... It's not that hard to comb through as long as I stay on top of it and go gently and slowly - I keep it in a bun almost all of the time with my job, which keeps it from forming any mats or tangles pretty effectively.

mamaherrera
January 12th, 2015, 01:46 AM
what is it that causes coarse hair to have to be longer so that it can do updos?? Im glad to read this because I was wondering why my hair, which is not waist yet, was not doing lwb and stuff like that very easy. It's not that I don't have that much hair, it also has to do with texture!! :popcorn:

curlylocks85
January 12th, 2015, 10:22 AM
mamaherrera

My hair is not just coarse and thick, it also has volume. My theory is this: Due to the thickness plus the volume, my hair needs more length because it grows out until it is heavy enought to grow downward, due to the volume expanding my hair and the thickness adding fullness.

I would love to read others' opinions :)

meteor
January 12th, 2015, 11:06 AM
what is it that causes coarse hair to have to be longer so that it can do updos?? Im glad to read this because I was wondering why my hair, which is not waist yet, was not doing lwb and stuff like that very easy. It's not that I don't have that much hair, it also has to do with texture!! :popcorn:

Maybe because one needs more length to be able to make each loop with thicker hair.
I think of it this way: to make one loop with a thin ribbon, you only need short length, but to make one loop with a wide blanket, it has to be significantly longer.

However, you can always split your hair and do those buns from half-ups or sectioned or double/triple/... buns (side by side or vertical). :)

missblueeyes
January 13th, 2015, 07:35 AM
I recently realized that I belong here, too. My hair is fine but I got loads of it. I still have problems with the Nautilus even though I'm at waist. :( Also, before I joined LHC, I thought that fine hair couldn't have volume and that my braids would be tiny if I'd grow it out. Oh, how wrong I was. :) I prefer my hair in a deep U - slight V shape because it's more manageable this way. A blunt hemline gives me loads of troubles.

DreamSheep
January 14th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Hi!

Just checking in to ask which are the most comfortable hairstyles you use?

My hair is very very thick and BCL, and I'm finding increasingly that a bun starts to hurt not long after getting it up, even if it is very secure or not really pulling on anything. I realise I should probably give sectioned buns a go, but what hairstyles do you do that is:

a) Super-secure
b) Comfortable and doesn't pull on your hair

minaa
January 14th, 2015, 11:37 AM
DreamSheep, the figure 8 bun is a great go-to for me if a bun starts hurting. Same with buns like the log roll, french twist, etc. I also get headaches sometimes, but top knots and buns that are either really high or really low help with weight distribution. I know there are more suggestions out there for sure!

DreamSheep
January 14th, 2015, 11:51 AM
DreamSheep, the figure 8 bun is a great go-to for me if a bun starts hurting. Same with buns like the log roll, french twist, etc. I also get headaches sometimes, but top knots and buns that are either really high or really low help with weight distribution. I know there are more suggestions out there for sure!

Thanks Minaa!

Unfortunately my hair isn't long enough for a Figure of 8 bun :( I've not enough hair to secure it.
Actually twin buns usually work nicely, but I guess I'm trying to use single hair toys in one big bun. I will be trying figure of 8s again, see if I can get it to work :)

KittyBird
January 14th, 2015, 12:13 PM
The clip bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY-rfngTdkA&index=12&list=PLD3F1DC95BFBC63F4) is incredibly comfortable (I'm wearing it right now), as is the figure 8 bun held with a ficcare. If I'm using a stick or a fork, I tend to go with the lazy wrap bun.

meteor
January 14th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Thanks Minaa!

Unfortunately my hair isn't long enough for a Figure of 8 bun :( I've not enough hair to secure it.
Actually twin buns usually work nicely, but I guess I'm trying to use single hair toys in one big bun. I will be trying figure of 8s again, see if I can get it to work :)

If you want specifically a one-hairtoy bun, I'd recommend something like a simplified Ellingwoman bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_biroGTJ7A) or Amish braided bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1ms8ODU42k) or "woven" bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYaEst5w1xM) or braided Chinese bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohR1Fa2dsBo), but you still need to add an elastic/tie usually, and realistically, most sectioning would require more than one hair-toy, or one hair-toy + a few U-pins.
The easiest sectioning is to do a half-up bun and twist/braid the rest of the hair, pinning it around the half-up bun.
I also like taking some hair for a bun and using the rest of the hair to make a braided coronet or braided headband/milkmaid braids.

lapushka
January 14th, 2015, 12:36 PM
My most comfy bun is the lazy wrap! Definitely. It's been in my hair since hitting waist/hip length. I'm TBL+ now and it gets all the more comfy the more length I gain. So far, anyway. :)

DreamSheep
January 14th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I guess my one toy attitude is more because I often find myself redoing a hairstyle during the day (perhaps this is the problem!), so having fewer instruments means at least it gets done quicker. :)

lapushka - I mastered the LWB last week and thought of you!! :)
Will be posting a pic of that with a Flexi8 in the appropiate thread soon (I'm quite excited about this Flexi!!)

However, the LWB I find ends up pulling anyway, given enough time. :S
So you guys are probably right that sectioning and braiding might be the way forwards. :)

meteor
January 14th, 2015, 12:55 PM
However, the LWB I find ends up pulling anyway, given enough time. :S
So you guys are probably right that sectioning and braiding might be the way forwards. :)

I think it pulls because your hair is super-thick. With more length, LWB should get significantly more comfortable. :) Another thought: every time I manage a new bun, it hurts at first because the hair follicles aren't used to the new positioning yet.

DreamSheep
January 14th, 2015, 12:59 PM
I think it pulls because your hair is super-thick. With more length, LWB should get significantly more comfortable. :) Another thought: every time I manage a new bun, it hurts at first because the hair follicles aren't used to the new positioning yet.

Hum! That's an interesting point - though my nautilus bun still pulls on occasions if left in for too long :s

(Although weirdly my hair doesn't mind being brushed upside down).

I am looking forward to my hair getting longer so I can wrap things round more securely - part of me wonders whether my buns are just a tad too tight for my scalps liking (they aren't super tight, but they aren't lax either, as those result in unravelling buns and rescuing hairtoys hiding in hair (or lying on the floor!)

meteor
January 21st, 2015, 11:57 AM
Arghhh, speaking of Lazy Wrap Buns... Those of you who manage to do it unbraided, unsectioned and un-doubled (sorry, not a word :oops:, but you know what I mean), please teach me your magic ways! :pray:
Once I hold all the hair in a ponytail and am supposed to wrap it around 2-3-4 fingers... well, the hair goes right over the whole hand and onto wrist... so I can't really wrap it around just a few fingers (my fingers are long, so that shouldn't be a problem) to then bring it over thumb, not to mention that I don't have any tools that could be long enough to glide over the whole hand from wrist to scalp... So how do you contain your mane in that loop? Do you have to twist it like a cinnabun? Do you gel & oil it a lot?

Oh, and if you have some magic tricks for unbraided nautilus, that would be so awesome, too! :D I have the same problem with the nautilus - that super-tricky first loop.

(Note: I can do a braided LWB successfully, and it's a very secure style for me.)

Catatafish
January 21st, 2015, 02:12 PM
I have been trying unsuccessfully to put my hair up ANY way at all, and it is getting long enough that it is really annoying and getting in my way all of the time. Especially when it is windy, which is all the time it seems!!!

Anyways, I was reading this old thread to look for tips
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43020&page=10

Which led me to this old thread
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10999&page=4

I'm very interested in this size chart mentioned on it.
Quote Originally Posted by ChatoyantLocks View Post
The idea came up in another thread of developing a size chart for hair styles. Some hair styles work well for certain lengths and thicknesses of hair, and not for others. This would greatly help for people who are trying to figure out what styles will work for the length they are at, and save time and frustration, since they can avoid ones that just won't work.

Does anybody ever know if anything ever came of it? It would be extremely useful for lion manes.

Sharysa
January 21st, 2015, 03:41 PM
I've never seen any hair-thickness/hair-style charts floating around, unfortunately. Maybe we should make a thread? *am totally not thinking of ideas for it right after I read this post*

Seeshami
January 21st, 2015, 03:53 PM
Arghhh, speaking of Lazy Wrap Buns... Those of you who manage to do it unbraided, unsectioned and un-doubled (sorry, not a word :oops:, but you know what I mean), please teach me your magic ways! :pray:
Once I hold all the hair in a ponytail and am supposed to wrap it around 2-3-4 fingers... well, the hair goes right over the whole hand and onto wrist... so I can't really wrap it around just a few fingers (my fingers are long, so that shouldn't be a problem) to then bring it over thumb, not to mention that I don't have any tools that could be long enough to glide over the whole hand from wrist to scalp... So how do you contain your mane in that loop? Do you have to twist it like a cinnabun? Do you gel & oil it a lot?

Oh, and if you have some magic tricks for unbraided nautilus, that would be so awesome, too! :D I have the same problem with the nautilus - that super-tricky first loop.

(Note: I can do a braided LWB successfully, and it's a very secure style for me.)

I twist it. If I am feeling like being on camera I will video it. But I make the loop then twist my wrist holding the loop then wrap then untwist and the folding looping dealo

Seeshami
January 21st, 2015, 08:26 PM
Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/57845211

I am so dumb and not wearing pants but you can't tell

CurlyCap
January 21st, 2015, 11:09 PM
I list myself as a ii on my profile. But that was after losing ~1/3 of my thickness to a stress related shed about 18 months ago. Mostly on the right side of my head.

So I've spent the last year or so living in "average thickness" land...and I gotta admit, it's been pretty nice.

My hair is starting to fill in again, and the new hairs are ~10" long but curly and it's shocking how much more work it's all causing. I worry about the double whammy of thickness and length. As far as length, I'm starting into unexplored territory and trying to figure out how to work with my length.

I'm at BCL and still can't do a nautilus...or any real bun besides a single wrap cinnabun. My hair "boings!" apart lazy wrap buns. Luckily, the curls add a lot of hold, so I can get away with messy pseudobuns. My forks are at 5" to hold things together and that's without the curls wanting to take up as much real estate as possible.

In the end I think the shed will be a blessing though. It's adding a subtle layered effect to my hair which means my curls are falling in column rather than a triangle. Not that I ever get to wear it down anymore!

meteor
January 22nd, 2015, 09:01 AM

That's so awesome! :D Thank you so very much, Seeshami! :flowers:
You have such amazing, super-gorgeous hair! :thudpile: Adorable kitty, too!

It's so cool that you do your very own variations for all of those buns. :thumbsup:
With that beautiful knot-pony (I think they call it "comet" bun), it's amazing that it holds for you without any tools for a short while. And if you want to hold securely, you can always pin the knot with sticks/forks/etc.
Gorgeous hairstyles and such thud-worthy hair!! :D

Catatafish, those are great, informative threads! :thumbsup: I'm going to have to do quite a bit of reading.

CurlyCap, so great to see you join! :D You know you have a thick mane when shedding can be seen as a blessing! ;)
And if even with such amazing, strong, spring-y curls, bunning is still challenging, then I should feel lucky to have even my super-limited updo arsenal.

MINAKO
January 22nd, 2015, 10:51 AM
i can only ever do my buns on damp or straightened hair, its not really as poufy as it used to be anymore, but still no chance if its in an airdried state. maybe a cinnabun would still work, but also looks bigger then my entire head. not that i wouldnt like big buns, but i also like them to be solid so they dont move around as much.

minaa
January 22nd, 2015, 11:52 AM

I am so dumb and not wearing pants but you can't tell

You're adorable xD ... Maybe I should do a video. Would anyone want videos from my weird self?

My last couple of inches are a bit thinner due to S&D and the last layer(s) of my long layers growing out. It makes it a little bit easier to finish buns, for sure.

Seeshami
January 22nd, 2015, 12:09 PM
AspendSong says i need a weekly vlog. I think she's lost her business

meteor
January 22nd, 2015, 02:49 PM
You're adorable xD ... Maybe I should do a video. Would anyone want videos from my weird self?

Oh, totally! :D I'd love to see videos by you! :thumbsup: The more, the better! And your buns always look so amazingly sleek and polished, while they are super-thick! I'd love to know how you pull off such gorgeous looks.

AspendSong says i need a weekly vlog. I think she's lost her business

Yay! That would be so awesome! Your videos are incredibly helpful! :flowers:
And you can always cross-post on The Official "I Made a Hair Video" Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=120673&page=27). ;)

DreamSheep
January 22nd, 2015, 03:04 PM
I love seeing videos from everyone!
Seeshami, you seem like such a fun person! x3

I uploaded a video today and was nearly about to post it because I thought my hair looked really nice (the magic of film lights I must say!), and then thought "yeah, but... this isn't hair related".

But I love to see people's hair in action. ^.^

meteor
January 22nd, 2015, 03:27 PM
Oh, DreamSheep, I really love your videos! :flowers:

(And I hope someday to figure out how you do your perfectly symmetrical side-by-side double buns: they come out looking so perfect! What sorcery is that? :magic:)

TrapperCreekD
January 22nd, 2015, 05:52 PM
meteor, how thick is your hair? I have no problems with the LWB or Nautilus - ideally I need a little more length for a braided nautilus because it's a tad tighter than I would like - and most days I'm slightly over 4" but I have quite a bit of taper. Wait, "over the thumb"... maybe I'm doing the LWB wrong...

Gorgeous buns, Seeshami, I wish I had enough length to do your variations. :crush:

mcdonaldv89
January 22nd, 2015, 07:20 PM
Im so glad someone finally understands the shear weight of thick hair it gives me headaches depending on how and where i put it upand strains my neck at work. I wear the equivalent of a fork high on my head to manage to fit a hard hat over all of it.

hennalonghair
January 22nd, 2015, 07:57 PM
Yes. 5.25 " 5.75 with bangs

Yes I use a MP bbb and don't know how I managed without it. By section . Lightly morning and evening
How do you know when your hair is finally rinsed?Just don't get it too sudsy. Rinse a lot or mermaid rinse.

What do you use to detangle, comb, or brush your hair?comb then mp brush

What kind of styles have worked for you at different lengths?mainly braids , lots of scrunchies, flexi clips , xs to pull part of front back, buns- hair is divided evenly so I have double everything buns

How do you deal with triangle head? Layers? Fairy tale ends? Thinning out the bottom?comb, mp brush and LOC type treatment , plus have hair up 90% of the time

Yes I have them. I'm lucky because my bangs and the too 3 inches or so is more 1b/ic on top so I have very take manageable bangs. My fav toys are hair forks and flexi type ones.

meteor
January 22nd, 2015, 08:06 PM
TrapperCreekD, thanks so much! :flower: It's very possible that I got the wrong technique, actually. :oops: I'm a terrible klutz with hair. I was doing this variation by the awesome HaarTraum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvKbxNBHjOI but I can only do this braided (only since hitting 44'' about a week ago). Which LWB or nautilus techniques out there on YouTube do you guys like?

minaa
January 22nd, 2015, 10:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzPXMmm9Iy0&feature=youtu.be

All done! This was fun. Maybe I'll do more.

minaa
January 22nd, 2015, 10:23 PM
Whoops, double post. >_< Yaaaaay long hair!

Sparklylady82
January 22nd, 2015, 10:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzPXMmm9Iy0&feature=youtu.be

All done! This was fun. Maybe I'll do more.

You did a great job! Pretty hair!

minaa
January 23rd, 2015, 08:52 AM
Thank you, Sparklylady82!

I was a bit nervous. ^^;

meteor
January 23rd, 2015, 11:19 AM
Great video, minaa! :thumbsup: I love the hair, the presentation, and the music! :D
And I'm super-impressed by how well-behaved your hair is! :D
I think I really need to hit more cone products or something to be able to experiment with disc and other high-manipulation buns!

Alex Lou
January 23rd, 2015, 12:07 PM
Now that it's waist, I like a simple twist and spiral bun with a spin pin to hold it. I wear my hair up much more, but the spin pin avoids using an elastic so I can still wear my hair down later without the elastic dent.

Sparklylady82
January 26th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Here is the nautalis Minaa recommended to me :hifive: I used Dreamsheep's vid to help. I don't know if it is right but it held after many attempts. Yay!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15543&d=1422291280

Madora
January 26th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Here is the nautalis Minaa recommended to me :hifive: I used Dreamsheep's vid to help. I don't know if it is right but it held after many attempts. Yay!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15543&d=1422291280

Very, very pretty, Sparklylady82!

meteor
January 26th, 2015, 10:41 AM
While we are on the subject of the Nautilus bun, I wanted to recommend this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34
I'm not actually sure that it's a nautilus, maybe it's some other bun? :confused:
It's the only way I've been able to do a "nautilus", and I can only do it fully braided, not loose. I think this method can work well for those with short and/or very thick hair.

Also, sorry for the OT, but does anybody know why it's called a "nautilus"? It's just that this bun never looks like a nautilus to me... Doesn't a seashell bun or a cinnabun look more like the real nautilus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautilus)? :hmm:

meteor
January 26th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Congratulations, Sparklylady82! :applause It looks great! :D

Now that it's waist, I like a simple twist and spiral bun with a spin pin to hold it.

Sounds cool! How can one do this? :) Are there any videos/instructions for this updo?

Seeshami
January 26th, 2015, 11:00 AM
First vlog is up in my blog

Selkie-
February 25th, 2015, 09:52 AM
Yay! I finally did a proper (I think) nautilus bun! It took 34 inches to get make it just doable! ;)

meteor
February 25th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Yay! I finally did a proper (I think) nautilus bun! It took 34 inches to get make it just doable! ;)

Yay! :happydance: Congratulations, Selkie! :D
Which tutorials helped you the most? This bun still escapes me... :oops:

schnibbles
February 25th, 2015, 01:45 PM
That's great Selkie! :toast:
@ meteor, I agree :blushing:

Selkie-
February 26th, 2015, 04:52 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Meteor and Schnibbles! :blossom:

Meteor - I found Torrin's video helpful --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b86ZH0J7xtE

MagicalMystery
February 27th, 2015, 06:59 AM
I'm joining in. I can't keep track at the amount of hours spent and brushes broken resulted from me combing my huge mane!

meteor
March 1st, 2015, 11:30 AM
Hey guys, I just wanted to update this thread to link to a wash method shared by the lovely Scarlet_Celt that I tried and found really helpful for thick hair: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129718

It's basically a "braided wash" method.

You can do any number of braids, I would imagine. Personally, I used 4 English braids (braiding hair only from chin down, to allow easy scalp massaging): top 2 left and right (smaller) quadrants were sectioned from hairline to eye level; bottom 2 left and right (larger) quadrants were sectioned from eye-level to the nape.
I washed hair saturated with pre-poo oil (Vatika coconut enriched hair oil).

The most important thing I noticed was how ridiculously easy the washing process became: I could finally reach every nook and cranny millimeter of my scalp without fighting this heavy monster wet blanket that my hair turns into in the shower. I got super-easy access to all of my scalp for the first time in years - I can only compare this to when my hair was short. I'm sure this is more of an issue for those of us with thick, heavy, unlayered and long hair and those of us who can't wash in sections (can't keep sections separate).

After rinsing out shampoo, I dunked my braids into my bowl with conditioning mask, slathered on the remainder of the mask onto the braids and massaged the product in for a couple minutes.

I had zero problem washing shampoo and conditioner out... in fact, in the future, I'll try to be careful not to rinse out conditioner so well (generally, I like to wash conditioner out only 95%, to leave more protective layer behind). My hair got squeaky clean, I didn't even expect such a thorough cleanse. It was so easy and took only about half the time washing usually takes! Also, it's a very compact, clean method: I managed not to get the whole bathroom soaking wet, like what normally happens during my hairwashes

As the hair was drying it looked fuzzy and tangled (like it always does post-wash), so I was worried about tangles, but detangling took less time than usual. I think it was significantly easier than normal.

I did shed hair during detangling, but only 15-25 strands, which is very low for me. I usually shed around that amount during my non-wash daily detangling anyway.

Overall, the BIGGEST advantages of this method for me were that I could easily reach all of my scalp without anything in the way, without fighting the heavy blanket of wet hair, and the detangling time seemingly was reduced. I'll be using this "sectioned braided wash" method from now on!

What about you? :) If you section hair during washing, then how do you like to do it? :) And what tips and tricks do you use to prevent extra tangling? :)
Thank you! :flowers:

Hairkay
March 1st, 2015, 12:21 PM
My hair is just over 4 inches if tied up in one. I gave up on the brushing since it doesn't really suit tight curls.
I wear it mostly tied back in one puff or in little plaits/braids tied back in a topknot. I also use two French braids sometimes or two flat twist versions of it. I haven't really gotten into using buns as it isn't very long. The most I've done that way is to either roll the hair into a single strand twist and tuck it in or braid it and tuck it in. I've only ever dealt with one length that's BSL.
I water wash only in braids/plaits. I finger detangle wet, its relaxing to do it slowly when soaking in a nice warm bath. I deep condition once a week and use coconut/olive oil and almond oil daily.
Triangle head? Well that's life though my nephew describes it as someone trying to have a giant afro but some how the top got sliced off to make it look flat. I did once try to do one of those 70 style afros. The crown/canopy just wouldn't co-operate, it wouldn't stand up. I guess I'd need to work on it some more to get that look.
I never really got into using all those hair ornaments. I got used to that since childhood when things just wouldn't fit. I currently make my own scrunchies to tie my hair back and I have a few ornamental combs for pinning up or tucking, that's it.

meteor
March 1st, 2015, 12:37 PM
Yay! Great to see you join! :joy:

Triangle head? Well that's life

I totally agree! :agree: It's a waste of energy to fight it. :D It comes with the territory... the lion's territory! :rockerdud

I water wash only in braids/plaits. I finger detangle wet, its relaxing to do it slowly when soaking in a nice warm bath. I deep condition once a week and use coconut/olive oil and almond oil daily.

Sounds great! :D Could you please share details of how you wash in braids/plaits? :pray: To you braid from close to scalp? How many braids do you use? Any tips for newbies to this method? :flower:

Hairkay
March 1st, 2015, 12:50 PM
Yay! Great to see you join! :joy:

I totally agree! :agree: It's a waste of energy to fight it. :D It comes with the territory... the lion's territory! :rockerdud

Sounds great! :D Could you please share details of how you wash in braids/plaits? :pray: To you braid from close to scalp? How many braids do you use? Any tips for newbies to this method? :flower:

Hi Meteor,

I mostly wash in 4 braids/plaits. I do them loosely. My BSL hair curls up to shoulder length so loosely still looks close the to scalp. If its in 8 or 16 braids/plaits then its slightly tighter or they'd unravel. I just stick my head under the shower, finger massage my scalp then scritch then continue to rinse. If I've been deep conditioning I check that the water from my head has ran clear then I know I'm done. I'll leave the hair to dry in the braids/plaits if they're more than 4 and it's midweek so I'll oil the lot that way when still a bit damp. On weekends I'll take them out one at a time, detangle, oil and rebraid. When I'm soaking in a bath with coconut oil/olive oil or almond oil or a mix of all 3 all I need do is to dunk, scritch, come up massage the scalp, dunk again then come undo one of the four sections at a time finger detangle, twist up and go on to the next section until its all done and by then the bath may be getting cold so bath time is done. Hair gets put in an old t-shirt for a little while, whilst I dress, then it's oiled section by section then styled.

meteor
March 1st, 2015, 01:17 PM
^Sounds awesome, Hairkay! :D Thanks so much for sharing! :flowers:

Next time I do a "braided wash", I'll try to let it dry in braids, too... I think it will make detangling even smoother. It seems like it might take forever to dry, but I'm up for experimentation! ;)

Hairkay
March 1st, 2015, 01:40 PM
^Sounds awesome, Hairkay! :D Thanks so much for sharing! :flowers:

Next time I do a "braided wash", I'll try to let it dry in braids, too... I think it will make detangling even smoother. It seems like it might take forever to dry, but I'm up for experimentation! ;)

Have fun :)

Sharysa
March 1st, 2015, 11:03 PM
That braided wash technique sounds really interesting. I always have trouble with washing my hair because scrubbing my scalp under my wet hair-cape is SO ANNOYING.

Simsy
March 2nd, 2015, 03:40 AM
Hello, long thick and only tame by force of will (and really good hair ties.)

I use paddle brushes with slightly wider spaced bristles, morning and night when its dry. When I have washed it, I use a long toothed comb and pull it into a French braid until it dries, usually about 36 hours.

To make sure all the product is out, I run my hands over it, any suds on my hands and back under the water I go.

Brushes, standard plastic bristle paddle brush and a plastic wide toothed comb. I'm hard on my hair but soft bristles just don't do anything. My hair doesn't know what to do when I'm gentle.

As for styles, I have stuck to cinnibuns, plaits and braids. I gave up on layers after I hit BSL as they just weren't doing anything. Triangle hair stopped being an issue about the same time. I did find that keeping my hair corralled for almost the whole length has done wonders for ease of care. It doesn't need as much brushing, washing and detangling when it has been left loose or just in a ponytail. I haven't used a ponytail since I could plait it.

meteor
March 2nd, 2015, 02:31 PM
That braided wash technique sounds really interesting. I always have trouble with washing my hair because scrubbing my scalp under my wet hair-cape is SO ANNOYING.

I totally agree about the wet hair-cape! :agree: And this method really helps.
I'm still kicking myself for not trying it years ago! It would have saved me a ton of time and unnecessary struggling against the hair blanket! For some reason it appeared "fussy" back then, when my hair was shorter. :rolleyes:
Thank goodness for Scarlet_Celt's thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129718

As for styles, I have stuck to cinnibuns, plaits and braids. I gave up on layers after I hit BSL as they just weren't doing anything. Triangle hair stopped being an issue about the same time. I did find that keeping my hair corralled for almost the whole length has done wonders for ease of care. It doesn't need as much brushing, washing and detangling when it has been left loose or just in a ponytail. I haven't used a ponytail since I could plait it.

Welcome aboard, Simsy! :joy:
I so agree on the need to corral the beast... I just realized that I literally live in braids: braided to bed, braided & bunned every day, braided to wash, braided & bunned to scalp-wash, absolutely all my updos and buns are braided... :lol: The only time it's loose is when I'm detangling, drying and styling it. Braids are thick-haired girls' best friends! :toast:

Arciela
March 2nd, 2015, 08:27 PM
Hello! Type III checking in here! :) This thread has such good tips, I'll be sticking around ^^

Sharysa
March 2nd, 2015, 10:40 PM
Braided wash is a success! I put my hair in plain pigtails, and I didn't need to tie them off since my hair is grabby anyway.

NO HAIR CAPE! Normally when I wash my hair, I need about five minutes to get my scalp wet while the rest of my hair plasters itself to my shoulders/back/chest. Instead it was contained pretty well in the pigtails, and I didn't have to deal with unruly wet hair every ten seconds or worrying if I missed a spot! It only took me a couple minutes to get my scalp wet, and being able to shift an entire braid's worth of hair helped a LOT with scrubbing and especially rinsing it out.

And then I just undid the pigtails to give my length its usual light shampooing. It took about the same time as my normal shower, but it was a LOT more efficient than before. Shower is done, my hair is up in a towel, and I'll be oiling it and putting it in Dutch pigtails for sleep soon.

Selkie-
March 3rd, 2015, 02:38 AM
The braided wash sounds really interesting. I am really struggling to give my scalp a proper wash underneath my wet blanket of hair at the moment!

My joy at doing a nautilus was premature unfortunately - it must have been a one off wonder because my hair won't co-operate anymore! :(

I am really kind of struggling with styles at the moment - it seems my hair is at an awkward length. LWB's are no longer comfortable with my XL flexi's and pull at my scalp a lot these days....

lapushka
March 3rd, 2015, 03:01 AM
For me washing upside down is still *the* thing (well, we can't do it another way here anyhow). Maybe my hair isn't the thickest, but I never had issues with the "wet blanket" feel. :shrug: Everyone's mileage, you know... it varies. :D I'm glad the method works for so many, though! Seems awesome. But braiding to me is more cumbersome than just going for the wash. Besides, I like the wet blanket feel. If I were to have real tangles, I think I'd consider it. Definitely!

meteor
March 3rd, 2015, 11:37 AM
Hello! Type III checking in here! :) This thread has such good tips, I'll be sticking around ^^

:D Welcome aboard, Cesil! :flowers:

Braided wash is a success! I put my hair in plain pigtails, and I didn't need to tie them off since my hair is grabby anyway.

NO HAIR CAPE! Normally when I wash my hair, I need about five minutes to get my scalp wet while the rest of my hair plasters itself to my shoulders/back/chest. Instead it was contained pretty well in the pigtails, and I didn't have to deal with unruly wet hair every ten seconds or worrying if I missed a spot! It only took me a couple minutes to get my scalp wet, and being able to shift an entire braid's worth of hair helped a LOT with scrubbing and especially rinsing it out.

And then I just undid the pigtails to give my length its usual light shampooing. It took about the same time as my normal shower, but it was a LOT more efficient than before. Shower is done, my hair is up in a towel, and I'll be oiling it and putting it in Dutch pigtails for sleep soon.

Yay! :happydance: I'm so happy for you, Sharysa! I've had very similar experience with this braided wash: the access to all the scalp is incredibly quick & easy this way! :agree:

The braided wash sounds really interesting. I am really struggling to give my scalp a proper wash underneath my wet blanket of hair at the moment!

My joy at doing a nautilus was premature unfortunately - it must have been a one off wonder because my hair won't co-operate anymore! :(

I am really kind of struggling with styles at the moment - it seems my hair is at an awkward length. LWB's are no longer comfortable with my XL flexi's and pull at my scalp a lot these days....

I hope you'll try that wash method: either it will be very useful or just unnecessary. But I can't see how it can hurt, that's for sure! ;)

Sorry to hear that the nautilus is still escaping you, too. Have you tried it braided or from a half-up? :flower: I find this video pretty helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34 I can sort of do it braided now...

If I were to have real tangles, I think I'd consider it. Definitely!

I'm super-impressed that you don't get tangles while washing! :applause I could only dream of long hair that doesn't tangle! That would be the ultimate! :cloud9:

lapushka
March 3rd, 2015, 11:56 AM
I'm super-impressed that you don't get tangles while washing! :applause I could only dream of long hair that doesn't tangle! That would be the ultimate! :cloud9:

I hate to say it, almost :lol: but it's the magic (for me at least) of double conditioning and with a really good detangling conditioner as my second step (the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration). As long as it's a good silicone conditioner on the second go - it just works. Well, for me it does. :) So far, at least. I have no idea what my hair is going to be like once it hits classic.

meteor
March 3rd, 2015, 12:26 PM
^ Well, for me the problem is that if I use a ton of leave-ins or LOC, my hair attracts lint and dust like crazy and can look oily (while ideally, I'd want to avoid it since I like to stretch washes).
I already use 1/3 - 1/2 bottle of conditioner every time I do a full wash... and I still get tangles *sigh* :violin: My only hope is for spring and much-needed humidity to hurry up here: my hair is at its driest in winter-time...
(Annoyingly, despite its tangle-prone nature, my hair slides/slips out of the tighest updos! :justy:

TrapperCreekD
March 3rd, 2015, 12:43 PM
I swear my hair is an everything trap; dust, lint, any kind of particle, dog hair, you name it. It's pretty much always been that way, but now that I think about it, it has gotten somewhat worse I started taming the beast with conditioner and oils/LOC. Oh, the joys of living in a dusty old farmhouse. :justy:

lapushka
March 4th, 2015, 09:29 AM
I'm pretty okay with it, when I wasn't at shorter lengths. BSL was such a horrid length. Anything up to waist, until I could well and truly have it bunned. My hair is bunned daily, so it doesn't gather as much "debris" :lol: as normal, I think. And I throw rinse-out oil and LOC and double conditioners at it. :lol:

Scarlet_Celt
March 4th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Hello everyone :) This is definitely the thread for me. My hair has always been ridiculously thick. Last night my sister was looking through old photos, and she came across this snap which shows my hair aged 4. Sadly, about a year later my mum had my hair cut to a hideous bob because she said she struggled to manage it.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy103/alannahmartin/193f1344-3419-4721-90c4-baf88e38aba7_zpsdqraf6tx.jpg (http://s782.photobucket.com/user/alannahmartin/media/193f1344-3419-4721-90c4-baf88e38aba7_zpsdqraf6tx.jpg.html)

meteor
March 4th, 2015, 11:34 AM
I know earlier on this thread we often mentioned sectioned or multiple buns and half-up-to-bun as a way of bunning very thick hair that's too short for a simple bun, but it looks like there may be even more reason to do that:
On this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128629&page=6) Crumpet mentioned how during a George Michael Salon consultation, the hairdresser showed her mechanical damage from bunning hair in one spot. She rotated some very hair-friendly buns (nautilus, disc, etc) and changed locations (high, mid, low) for her bun, but still, there was some breakage. The GM recommendation was to do double buns, sectioned buns or braid (Dutch/French) top hair before joining it with the bun, etc.

I know this is not just a thick-hair problem at all, but the added weight of thick hair can probably add to this issue, so I figured I'd cross-link it on this thread, in case it could help someone. :)

Thanks Meteor. I really wouldn't have gone back except for all of the support here. I'm glad to see that there really is a home for long hairs out there. I should add that her hair was absolutely gorgeous. I was in awe.

Yes, I was totally freaked by the breakage (there really wasn't much but it was obvious when she pointed it out and I resolved to change my bunning ways!):

She got a mirror and showed me the back of my head in bright light. She divided my hair in a center part. It was clear that if you followed the part down that the hair from the back of the part down to where my hairline would be on my neck (but only on the canopy) was more broken off than the rest of my hair. When she pulled those bits away, my hair was much smoother. She said it worsens with age, length, and if you do the same bun. I change my bun up -- both style (rotating between disc and nautalis, but also a few others) and location (nape, center, top). She said that wasn't enough.

Her suggestion was to french braid or two-strand braid the top of my hair and THEN join it with the rest of the hair into a bun so that it takes the weight off. Side buns, double buns, and braided buns that start with a french or dutch braid also help distribute weight and prevent breakage.

The updo she did on me was parted on the right, and each part in the front was two strand braided until my nape. She then made a rope braid and coiled it into a bun at my nape. Its lovely. I would share pictures but work has been so busy lately that I'm too lazy to transfer them over. I'll take a picture though and hope for the best!

meteor
March 4th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Hello everyone :) This is definitely the thread for me. My hair has always been ridiculously thick. Last night my sister was looking through old photos, and she came across this snap which shows my hair aged 4. Sadly, about a year later my mum had my hair cut to a hideous bob because she said she struggled to manage it. [/URL]

Yay! So great to see you join, Scarlet_Celt! :joy:
It's gorgeous! I love that scarlet red! It's incredibly beautiful and intense! :thud:

Scarlet_Celt
March 4th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Yay! So great to see you join, Scarlet_Celt! :joy:
It's gorgeous! I love that scarlet red! It's incredibly beautiful and intense! :thud:

Aw shucks :) :hifive:. I am really intrigued to try wearing double buns more often now that I know it should help reduce damage even more, and help spread the weight of my hair. Some days it is really hard to wear my hair in whatever style.

meteor
March 4th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Aw shucks :) :hifive:. I am really intrigued to try wearing double buns more often now that I know it should help reduce damage even more, and help spread the weight of my hair. Some days it is really hard to wear my hair in whatever style.

Yay! :joy: By the way, I've linked your awesome No Shed Wash thread here earlier, too, because I think it's awesome for thick-haired folks who are having trouble reaching all scalp or detangling post-wash. Thanks so much again for that thread! :flowers:

About the sectioning, I think these approaches (starting points) can be pretty useful:
- up-dos to buns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvXrEOfJ4w
- braided beehive (2 or more braids - each going on top of the other bunned braid): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEdMa1HvQmA
- hair-taping (2 coronet braids, taped together): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlwnlfDYzk8
- Amish braids (2 braids woven into pockets, forming an updo): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PYjubahR6g
- faux hawk (3 or more buns stacked on top of each other in a Mohawk-ish way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHsFIslbwkM
- bun + coronet(s): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQXu9enBrK0 (Regency updo), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOHj74Kk7DU (Renaissance updo)
- double/triple/multiple buns side by side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgXwdARH_oM
- etc...

Scarlet_Celt
March 5th, 2015, 02:57 PM
Yay! :joy: By the way, I've linked your awesome No Shed Wash thread here earlier, too, because I think it's awesome for thick-haired folks who are having trouble reaching all scalp or detangling post-wash. Thanks so much again for that thread! :flowers:

About the sectioning, I think these approaches (starting points) can be pretty useful:
- up-dos to buns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvXrEOfJ4w
- braided beehive (2 or more braids - each going on top of the other bunned braid): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEdMa1HvQmA
- hair-taping (2 coronet braids, taped together): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlwnlfDYzk8
- Amish braids (2 braids woven into pockets, forming an updo): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PYjubahR6g
- faux hawk (3 or more buns stacked on top of each other in a Mohawk-ish way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHsFIslbwkM
- bun + coronet(s): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQXu9enBrK0 (Regency updo), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOHj74Kk7DU (Renaissance updo)
- double/triple/multiple buns side by side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgXwdARH_oM
- etc...

I love that Torrin Paige video. I think I've watched most of her videos multiple times. She's got gorgeous hair, and is just so funny. I still can't figure out how to get my hair in a Nautilus bun. Someone help me please? :confused: I get that I should probably try splitting my hair like Torrin says, but I don't think I've got the hang of the technique either.

meteor
March 5th, 2015, 03:05 PM
I still can't figure out how to get my hair in a Nautilus bun. Someone help me please? :confused: I get that I should probably try splitting my hair like Torrin says, but I don't think I've got the hang of the technique either.

:grouphug: I have the same problem!
This "pencil bun" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34) is the only way I can do a nautilus. But I can only do a nautilus either as a half-up or braided.

lapushka
March 5th, 2015, 03:40 PM
This "pencil bun" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34) is the only way I can do a nautilus. But I can only do a nautilus either as a half-up or braided.

I'm TBL+ and my hair's still just too short for a Nautilus. I'll grow some more first. :shrug:

Lindenare
March 11th, 2015, 07:41 PM

That was the first bun I could (ever) do that didn't require redoing every hour or so, and my hair wasn't long enough for it until somewhere around TBL. Out of curiosity, do you have any idea why braided nautilus buns have worked for you sooner than unbraided? I just managed a braided pencil-nautilus-thingy bun that stayed put for the first time this past Sunday; I've been wearing that pencil bun for nearly a year (already? Goodness.) and am nearing classic.

meteor
March 11th, 2015, 07:57 PM
That was the first bun I could (ever) do that didn't require redoing every hour or so, and my hair wasn't long enough for it until somewhere around TBL. Out of curiosity, do you have any idea why braided nautilus buns have worked for you sooner than unbraided? I just managed a braided pencil-nautilus-thingy bun that stayed put for the first time this past Sunday; I've been wearing that pencil bun for nearly a year (already? Goodness.) and am nearing classic.

Awesome! :D Congrats on getting this pencil bun to work! :applause Yes, I can only do that nautilus braided. Same goes to LWB. And I'm also nearing classic and it looks like we have similar hairtypes! :hifive:

It could just be that I'm just terrible at bunning! :lol: I can't do anything complicated with my hair, I'm afraid. :oops:

My theory is also this: I can't do wrapped buns on my hair loose yet, as it's just falling apart around my wrist and hand, doesn't fit around my wrist during the bunning process... I have to corral my hair first by either twisting it (like for cinnabun) or braiding it; only after containing my hair in such a twist or braid can I begin the bunning process. I think twist/braid keeps the length tighter and more manageable.
The obvious exception for this is a small bun, e.g. from a half-up. I can do a half-up nautilus or half-up LWB no problem, but full nautilus or full LWB? - forget it! :brickwall

ETA: Please remember that all this is happening to somebody who's terrible at styling hair :oops:, and I don't want my failures to deter anybody from trying more and more new buns at shorter lengths! :flower:

hinabelle
March 11th, 2015, 08:25 PM
iii here! I'm so excited for my hair to get longer. It's finally at a length where it's
beginning to do the "mane" thing and I love it! I love long, thick dark hair
and I think it will look great on me. :) My hair grows soooo slowly though...
My hair is much too thick and short for most updos, but I found a bun or two that
might work for me... now I'm in the process of finding a way to successfully keep
it up that doesn't involve elastics. I'm working with a chopstick right now but I want
something smaller + natural colored + minimal for when I go out. The chopstick
I'm using is pink with bunnies on it and I don't feel comfortable wearing that in public. :o

meteor
March 11th, 2015, 08:33 PM
iii here! I'm so excited for my hair to get longer. It's finally at a length where it's
beginning to do the "mane" thing and I love it! I love long, thick dark hair
and I think it will look great on me. :) My hair grows soooo slowly though...
My hair is much too thick and short for most updos, but I found a bun or two that
might work for me... now I'm in the process of finding a way to successfully keep
it up that doesn't involve elastics. I'm working with a chopstick right now but I want
something smaller + natural colored + minimal for when I go out. The chopstick
I'm using is pink with bunnies on it and I don't feel comfortable wearing that in public. :o

Welcome aboard, hinabelle! :cheer:
At APL, claw-clips are amazing! :D (But if hairsticks don't work yet, don't be discouraged, they'll work when your hair is longer. ;) )
Also, at APL peacock twist works extremely well and is easy, beautiful and non-damaging. Also, how about Gibson tucks? Or braided tucks? Or crown braids? If you are lucky, you might be able to do a French twist - it's one of those luxuries that iii hair almost never allows, but if it does, do it before the hair gets too long! :D
Also, you can probably do sectioned buns and double buns. Lots of options there!
I recommend this Torrinpaige video for getting shorter/thicker hair up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvXrEOfJ4w

hinabelle
March 11th, 2015, 08:54 PM
meteor: I'll use my claw clip, then! I was avoiding it because I didn't
think it looked so great in my hair/looked too around-the-house. However,
my hair is longer than when I first started using the clip and it looks decent now :)
I am completely astounded at the amount of hairstyles there are! I've never been
one to really do much to my hair except wear it down, in a low ponytail, or a low bun.
So coming here and seeing all these different styles... wow! The peacock twist and
Gibson tuck both look like I could maybe pull them off, so that's exciting! :D

meteor
March 11th, 2015, 09:03 PM
^ Oops, sorry, hinabelle, I clearly need coffee :coffee: I misunderstood about the chopstick - for some reason, I thought you were working on a stick, sorry, I re-read your post and realized you already use it successfully, so yeah, then that's great! :applause Sticks are very hair-friendly tools! :D

Arctic
March 11th, 2015, 09:11 PM
highjack

Meteor, what kind of style is a braided tuck? I have never heared of it and didn't find it with google.

/end highjack

meteor
March 11th, 2015, 09:23 PM
^ Arctic, sure! :) (It might even have a different name, I'm not exactly sure.) I always thought it's something like this (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/94/92/7c/94927c6ebe81137bd21209918e094450.jpg): so just a French/Dutch braid with the end tucked under and pinned. It's good for a situation when you can braid your hair but the braid is not too long and it doesn't yet form a classical bun. :)

hinabelle
March 11th, 2015, 09:43 PM
meteor: It's okay! Your first interpretation was correct. I'm struggling with the chopstick still since
it doesn't work for me yet and I also don't want to wear it in public, so your post was completely helpful! :)

meteor
March 11th, 2015, 10:01 PM
^ Thanks a lot, hinabelle! :flower:
And you are so right: there are a lot of hairstyles out there! :D And APL is a great length for many styles - I'm seeing so much on Google Images alone. I think lots of updo styles on celebrities are actually perfect around APL. :)
Dutch headband tuck (http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/2015/01/braid15.png)
Headband tuck (http://www.missysue.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/tuck-and-cover-french-braid-missysueblog.png)
Braided bun out of 2 braids (http://content.latest-hairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/alittlesliceof+easy+twisty+bun.jpg)
Chignon (http://www.hairromance.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Hair-Romance-30-Buns-in-30-Days-Day-12-Braid-Over-Bun-Hairstyle.jpg)
Braided chignon out of accent braids (http://www.topmodel.com/how-to-diane-kruger%E2%80%99s-braided-updo-at-the-2014-vanity-fair-oscar-party/2297)
The list can go on and on... :) A lot depends on the hairtype and how grippy or slippery the hair is: I'd suggest simply trying different styles and seeing what your hair likes the most. ;)

Arctic
March 11th, 2015, 10:08 PM
^ Arctic, sure! :) (It might even have a different name, I'm not exactly sure.) I always thought it's something like this (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/94/92/7c/94927c6ebe81137bd21209918e094450.jpg): so just a French/Dutch braid with the end tucked under and pinned. It's good for a situation when you can braid your hair but the braid is not too long and it doesn't yet form a classical bun. :)

Thank you! Yes I'm familiar with that style after all, I have always called it a tucked under french braid, but your name is much shorter and easier to use!

meteor
March 11th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Thank you! Yes I'm familiar with that style after all, I have always called it a tucked under french braid, but your name is much shorter and easier to use!

Great! :) By the way, there is also this Victorian braided tuck (https://locksofelegance.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/late-victorian-triple-braided-tuck/), but the method and the resulting look are different.
Torrinpaige did a tutorial on it, too ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N7_7_NlnF0

hinabelle
March 12th, 2015, 07:18 PM
I wore my claw clip today! It was very fun! My bangs fell out during yoga
as they are only chin length, and a little piece fell out here and there, but
it stayed up really well! It also protected my hair better during yoga than
what I was doing before. I'll have to do this much much more often! It also
gave me an old lady sort of look, which I really don't mind at all :o

NitaB
April 4th, 2015, 08:58 AM
Hello! I belong here! Looking through the suggestions has been super helpful to me. The amount of hair that I have is pretty intimidating to me, so I am trying my best to learn the techniques that you are all talking about. At the moment I'm sticking with simple braids while I work on practicing all of these cool bun styles.

Because pictures are fun, this is my ponytail circumference
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af77/SnappleCapsClick/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo%20on%202015-04-04%20at%2010.30_zpsd4jtfbh1.jpg

And this is my uber wonky undercut that I am a little scared to grow out.
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af77/SnappleCapsClick/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo%20on%202015-04-04%20at%2010.31_zpse4uamsfx.jpg

meteor
April 4th, 2015, 09:15 AM
^Welcome to the LHC, NitaB! :cheer: Great to see you join! :D

I think sectioned updos should work beautifully on undercuts being grown out: since you rely on braids, you could braid and then bun the top hair and twist or braid and pin the shorter nape hair around the main bun, when it's long enough.
In a way, growing out an undercut is somewhat similar to growing out bangs - there is that stage where you get to pin hair out of the way or use lace-braiding/French-braiding, using small accent braids, etc on the shorter area. Sectioning helps because it allows the different lengths/textured to be treated differently and kept separate, to prevent tangling.

MINAKO
April 4th, 2015, 09:49 AM
I have nothing constructive to add but bobby pins when it comes to dealing with different lengths.
In the spirit of this thread, i dont feel lionesque at all recently. My hair is flat as a pancake, whick i like. But you can still se there is alot by the way it spreads. If it doesnt, simply by the look of it it wouldnt matter if i was 4.8 or or 3.2 in circumference, although technically thats like twice the hair.
Can i be an afghan hound instead of a lion, pretty please?! :D

meteor
April 4th, 2015, 11:29 AM
^MINAKO, I think it's perfectly normal when even extremely thick and very straight, sleek hair doesn't look voluminous. And it's crazy how much volume one gets with curled hair, it's normal. :)
And Afghan hounds are just gorgeous! :thudpile: I wish I had a gorgeous long-haired pet like this (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/7c/46/d6/7c46d6c66808d404515a264bf71a2e97.jpg)- I'd love to do different cool braids on that mane. :crush:

MINAKO
April 4th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Yeah, sometimes i dream of super voluminous waves or curls like fara fawcett, or cher in her glam rock days. Then i wonder how long it would take me to rollerset and abort the idea because the risk it would look funny on me is kind of higher than i would want to admit it to myself, lol.
With straight hair i can get some movement through my ends, but never any root volume for longer than 15mins.

OMG, that dog wouldnt be safe with me. I would probably cut him blunt bangs and put the rest in pigtails, or cornrows when i feel like giving myself a break from combing all day, lol.

meteor
April 4th, 2015, 11:58 AM
^ I bet that dog would be pretty happy to get some new cool hairstyles from you, MINAKO! :thumbsup:

I really experience the same about volume - the longer the hair gets, the less volume at the roots, because the weight of hair pulls on the roots and makes them super-sleek. Actually, I think the less taper one has, the flatter the root volume, so cutting in layers would have solved the problem of flat roots a bit (making the weight lighter), but they are too much of a pain to maintain and grow out, so I don't want to make that commitment, personally.
I really think the only solution (without layering) is roller-setting close to roots, with those huge jumbo rollers for root lift... Or, if it's an updo, just doing a "faux hawk" or pinning up some frontal hair over a coiled mini twist/braid, kind of like using a bump-it/hair rat with one's hair coiled up...

MINAKO
April 5th, 2015, 06:15 AM
Thats true, the only way i possibly see lifting my roots and have the effect lasting a bit longer is using heat. Actually when i straighten, i clamp the iron at a 90degree angle to my scalp and pull away, that gives a little bit of a base too, but my hair is so slippery then it doesnt grab onto itself anymore.
I have seen some really cool bump-it things at the 99c store that could be used to make a pouf in the front or some tease crown effect, but i wasnt sure if i like the clips attached to the sponges. If some hairs snap at the root from using this one time i would flip, same reason why i keep backing off from using colored clip in extensions, i want gunmetal undercolor, but i dont trust the clips.

Seeshami
April 5th, 2015, 11:53 AM
I loose about two hairs to the clip that is broken and that's about it for my snap in colors. Muffin generally gets them out for me and carefulness is key.

emmita
April 7th, 2015, 02:38 AM
My hair is 5,5 inches.

Actually I've never tried it.

I section it into two pieces - top section and bottom section. For this I use a clip.

I use a brush, even though I've heard it's better to use a wide tooth comb (?). Thinking of buying a tangle teezer! :)

My hair isn't that long yet, but it's not until now (MBL) that I've been able to braid it. It used to be too short for having a good looking braid, so I'm very happy now!

I agree with some of you, the answer would me length. I used to have layers in my hair, but I've been trying to grow them out because I want full lenght.

My bangs are almost the same lenght as the rest of my hair. Haven't thought about bangs in years!

Lindenare
April 14th, 2015, 02:46 PM
I've been stalking this thread almost since its inception and feel like I should actually post something, so here are my answers to the OP's questions.

Very carefully. :P I either sort of section it or bend over and only bother with the canopy and underside. I don't do it often at all or on any sort of schedule, and now that I seem to have lost my BBB I obviously won't do it in the near future.

When water is running out the bottom side of the part I'm rinsing as fast as it runs onto my hair and I can't feel any shampoo left. I usually wait a minute or two after that to be safe, as I've had problems with not rinsing thoroughly in the past.

Nowadays I use a widetooth comb for nearly everything. Sometimes I use a brush (Yes, one of the ones with plastic balls on the bristles. It doesn't seem to damage my hair if I work it through carefully.)

Shoulder-BSL: Down and halfups. Two English braids are possible after APL-ish.

BSL-Hip: Still mostly down and halfups, but braided halfups are possible. One English braid starts to work around BSL, although it's mostly tassel and acts more like a stick than a braid. I didn't learn to French braid until I was between BSL and waist, but it would likely work a little shorter. Multi-strand braids start to work close to waist, although they're also short and stiff.

Hip-TBL: My first bun was possible at just past hip, and it was the pencil bun (a nautilus version). This was the only stick bun I could do at this length. Note that I didn't learn about sectioned buns before this and so could maybe have done updos earlier. Cinnabuns and Gibraltars work with enough U-pins, as did cameo buns and braided vortex buns. Single three-strand braids start to swish and otherwise act braidlike at about TBL. A "normal" nautilus bun works as a halfup.

TBL+: Still limited to about the range of updos above, with the addition of the braided nautilus at 2-3 inches past TBL. Braids become more flexible; the celtic knot bun starts to work as a halfup.

Length, mostly.

I haven't had bangs since I was six. My forehead is low and I wear glasses, so if I want to have more than half my face showing, no bangs.

Scarlet_Celt
April 14th, 2015, 04:36 PM
I have nothing constructive to add but bobby pins when it comes to dealing with different lengths.
In the spirit of this thread, i dont feel lionesque at all recently. My hair is flat as a pancake, whick i like. But you can still se there is alot by the way it spreads. If it doesnt, simply by the look of it it wouldnt matter if i was 4.8 or or 3.2 in circumference, although technically thats like twice the hair.
Can i be an afghan hound instead of a lion, pretty please?! :D

I know exactly what you mean about the volume issue with very long straight hair. It must be due to the length and general thickness weighing down the hair. I guess I could backcomb it, but no thank you to those split ends! ;) :)

meteor
April 14th, 2015, 07:47 PM
^ Welcome aboard, emmita and Lindenare! :cheer: So great to see new members joining this thread! :D

Lindenare, I think we might be hair twins :cheer: , except I don't have that haircolor anymore, unfortunately. How do you manage to keep hair strands separate and section hair so well when you do those complicated (multi-strand, French...) braids? Do you use any detanglers or other products that help you? ;)

emmita, do you section hair with a clip only as you are rinsing shampoo and conditioner out or is the sectioning done during the whole wash? :) And do you section side by side?

Lindenare
April 15th, 2015, 09:46 AM
^ Welcome aboard, emmita and Lindenare! :cheer: So great to see new members joining this thread! :D

Lindenare, I think we might be hair twins :cheer: , except I don't have that haircolor anymore, unfortunately. How do you manage to keep hair strands separate and section hair so well when you do those complicated (multi-strand, French...) braids? Do you use any detanglers or other products that help you? ;)

emmita, do you section hair with a clip only as you are rinsing shampoo and conditioner out or is the sectioning done during the whole wash? :) And do you section side by side?

Thanks, meteor! I do agree that our hair seems very similar. I don't actually have the color shown in, say, my avatar, as indoor light can mess with how my hair's color photographs, and color correction only goes so far. The true color is generally lighter. Perhaps I should get someone to take pictures outdoors sometime.

I don't use any products to help section my hair. It's pretty tangle resistant when dry, so if it's brushed out well, it sections easily. I do, however, run my hand down whichevery strand I'm currently adding hair to or crossing over to ensure that it's separate and not self-braiding, if that makes any sense. Crown braids are the only times that I have problems, and that has more to do with changing my grip to braid a different direction than anything. For any braid with more than 3-4 strands, I use the same technique and will hold extra strands in my pinkies a lot to keep them separate. (I should note that I can technically do braids with more than 5 strands, but don't do them much at all because it's hard to work with so many strands behind my own head while keeping track of which is which. I'll get the hang of it one of these days, though.)

jupiterinleo
April 15th, 2015, 10:47 AM
My hair is creeping on BCL and I still can't comfortably make a nautilus or knot bun. :justy:

lapushka
April 15th, 2015, 11:10 AM
My hair is creeping on BCL and I still can't comfortably make a nautilus or knot bun. :justy:

Oh hey girl! Same here! :waving: (2/3 inches off from classic)

MINAKO
April 15th, 2015, 11:21 AM
I know exactly what you mean about the volume issue with very long straight hair. It must be due to the length and general thickness weighing down the hair. I guess I could backcomb it, but no thank you to those split ends! ;) :)

I tried backcombing exactly one, because thats what people do to look better, right (??!) Turned out i didnt like it because it just looked odd, maybe i did to much but as you mentioned also the damage wont be worth it. The flat hair actually compliments my small face i think. Sometimes i push my hair up to one side and fix that with a comb. The swoop makes it sort of poufy.

Near
April 15th, 2015, 07:55 PM
This is definitely the thread for me, as I have been affectionately dubbed Mufasa due to my thick mane. Wide tooth combs and boar bristle brushes are my weapons of choice for tackling the tangles and knots in my hair. Through years of experimentation I have also found keeping my hair long makes it seem less poofy and frizzy, so cutting it to BSL is not an option for me. I, frankly, look like a broom at BSL.

My current experiment is washing with water only. I switched cold turkey and I am still going through the transition phase.