PDA

View Full Version : Hair thinning?

The-Ghost-OfYou
August 3rd, 2014, 01:32 AM
Ok so I don't know if I am being paranoid or what but my hair feels kind of thin. My mother says it still feels thick but I don't feel it that way. There are no bald spots or thinning around the edges or anything like that. Maybe it's because I've been using a claw clip this past days? Is it because my hair i getting longer and it's weighing itself down? Also I dyed my hair with that manic panic stuff but only the lenght so the dye didn't touch anything above the shoulder so I'm not sure if I should go ahead and do my whole head. It may be Hair Anorexia but Ughhhh frustrating!

Shibe
August 3rd, 2014, 02:12 AM
Put your hair in a pony and use measuring tape to get the circumference.

You can check it 1-2 times a month to see if you are thinning.

torrilin
August 3rd, 2014, 08:03 AM
I'd measure.

That said, my ponytail can vary a good half inch from measurement to measurement. I'd want to see more than one or two data points with a smaller number before I'd assume my hair is actually thinning. (huh, now I'm tempted to do a measure every day challenge for a week or two, see what kind of variation I get) Anything you measure can have errors from the tool you use to measure. And anything you measure can have errors due to who is doing the measurement. For the most super precise scientific work, you'll actually keep track of the exact tools you use, so you don't accidentally use different ones. And if someone else runs the experiment, the results don't get written down as if you did it... they go in the other person's lab notebook.

Odds are good that you're just having a bit of hair dysmorphia. And I think that happens to everyone sometimes.

Johannah
August 3rd, 2014, 08:13 AM
I don't think a claw clip could cause this, not when you used it for a couple of days. You could measure like Shibe suggested, but IMHO I think it's just in your mind. Some days I feel my hair has thinned as well, but it's just the result of checking my hair too much.

ExpectoPatronum
August 3rd, 2014, 10:06 AM
I get that too, especially since I went through a period of bad shedding and my hair DID thin out. Some days, I'll feel like my hair is thickening up again, and then some days it'll feel thin.

If you're really concerned about thinning, I'd definitely measure it and see where you're at. Measure it a couple times each day you measure because thickness can vary. Make sure you measure it at the same "time" in your wash cycle. For example, my hair is a lot fluffier the day after a wash and so would appear thicker than if I measured it right before a wash. We wouldn't want to cause a false alarm!

KittyBird
August 3rd, 2014, 01:25 PM
If using claw clips made hair fall out, I should be bald by now! :lol: Claw clips aren't bad unless your hair tangles in them and you rip them out. I wouldn't worry about that. :)

Try measuring your ponytail regularly, and if you notice thinning, go see your doctor. I was deficient in iron, and lost more than 1" of my thickness last year. I hope that doesn't scare you though, because that's not my intention. But if your hair really is getting thinner, it's worth getting your blood-work done. :)

RapunzelKat
August 3rd, 2014, 02:26 PM
I'd also suggest measuring/tracking :)

Also, are you noticing a lot of shedding? If not, you've probably just got a case of hair dysmorphia ;) It's easy to get surprised by various aspects of your hair when you first start learning to take care of it. For example, I found shortly after I started changing my hair routine that I have a BUNCH of wavy baby hairs (rest of my hair is stick straight). I was like, where did all these come from?? :uhh:

The-Ghost-OfYou
August 3rd, 2014, 11:53 PM
If using claw clips made hair fall out, I should be bald by now! :lol: Claw clips aren't bad unless your hair tangles in them and you rip them out. I wouldn't worry about that. :)

Try measuring your ponytail regularly, and if you notice thinning, go see your doctor. I was deficient in iron, and lost more than 1" of my thickness last year. I hope that doesn't scare you though, because that's not my intention. But if your hair really is getting thinner, it's worth getting your blood-work done. :)

Maybe I shouldn't put off my blood test any longer! :( I've been suspecting I may have a deficiency for a few months but we will see I guess.

mindwiped
August 4th, 2014, 06:35 AM

If its not working correctly, your thyroid can cause drastic hair loss too. Over the years of chasing the dosage and the loss I had before it was diagnosed I've lost 50-60% of my volume. It's another blood draw, so if you're getting your iron levels, they might as well get enough for both tests, with just onetime finding your vein.

The-Ghost-OfYou
August 4th, 2014, 03:09 PM
So I measure the ponytail and it's 4.5 inches/ around 11 cm. Dunno if it's thick. Could it be this conditioning treatment I did on my hair which I basically put conditioner all up in there, put a cap and went to sleep? It was thursday and now it is monday so I don't know I will go to the doctor just in case though

lapushka
August 4th, 2014, 03:15 PM
So I measure the ponytail and it's 4.5 inches/ around 11 cm. Dunno if it's thick. Could it be this conditioning treatment I did on my hair which I basically put conditioner all up in there, put a cap and went to sleep? It was thursday and now it is monday so I don't know I will go to the doctor just in case though

That is thick! You're a iii, so that means it's the thickest category.